Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
195 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Liter
Metric unit of measure. In the case of engine displacement, it measures the total volume of all combustion chambers. Therefore in a 5.7L V8, each cha...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NC Kid Timing Chain ?
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Do timing chains wear out? Do new ones add any benefit? Is there a pully near the cover for the chain and if it is misalighned or wearing out, it could rub a hole in the chains casing/cover causing the oil to leak out and lock your motor up? Vauge description I know but that is the best I can describe what I am trying to ask....Just pondering that right now.

Thanks...
Posted on: 2008/1/29 15:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

NC Kid RE:Timing Chain ?
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

While I am on it, what does the timing chain do? Is there anything else in there that can wear out? I heard Cloydes double roller timing chain was good. What is so special about those?
Posted on: 2008/1/29 15:33

94z07 RE:Timing Chain ?
Guru
94 Posts

The timing chain keeps the crankshaft indexed to the camshaft so that the valves open and close in time with the pistons' travel.

Timing sets consist of a crankshaft gear, a camshaft gear that's twice as big, and a chain that connects them.

Timing sets do wear out and they do fail and when they do they can cause enough damage that a rebuild is needed. The chains are strong but the rollers develop flat spots. The gears' teeth become scalloped and can break. Also, GM made several engines with timing gears that were steel coated with some plastic that was supposed to reduce the noise from the timing set. That plastic stuff can break off and collect in the bottom of the timing cover.

On interference engines, engines where the pistons' travel and the valves' travel overlap, a broken timing set can cause contact between the top of the piston and the bottom of the valve. That contact can break things and send metal shards that cause additional damage.

I had an Olds that failed when the camshaft gear broke off of the camshaft. I had a Jeep that didn't quite fail but ran rough until I replaced the timing set's plastic coated gears and tensioner.
Posted on: 2008/1/29 15:50

CFI-EFI Re: Timing Chain ?
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

The timing chain drives the camshaft. That is it. The chain can stretch over tome and the sprockets an wear. A new timing set replaces worn sprockets and a stretched chain, for more accurate valve and ignition (on Gen I engines) timing.

Quote:
Is there a pully near the cover for the chain and if it is misalighned or wearing out, it could rub a hole in the chains casing/cover causing the oil to leak out and lock your motor up? Vauge description
"Vauge" at best. There is no pulley that typically causes problems, but if the inertia ring on your vibration damper should break loose, it could walk rearward and wear into your timing cover. Any resultant oil leak should be rather slow. Oil on the floor and normal, periodic, dipstick checks should prevent any engine damage.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/29 15:53

CentralCoaster RE:Timing Chain ?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

A timing chain is something that you don't wait until it breaks to change it out, unless you want to rebuild the whole motor.

I changed mine at only 70K because I happened to be doing the waterpump and it was accessible.

Mine had the cheap pot-metal (or aluminum?) cam sprocket with nylon teeth. Some of the teeth were cracked and a few more broke off when I dropped it on the ground. I put a steel gear in there.
Posted on: 2008/1/29 16:03

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

So what are the signs that it is breaking?

Second, if you replaced your timing chain but it was installed incorrectly in some way, would it not destroy itself on start up or would it take awhile to break?

How much does a good one cost?
Posted on: 2008/1/29 16:10

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:
A timing chain is something that you don't wait until it breaks to change it out, unless you want to rebuild the whole motor.

I changed mine at only 70K because I happened to be doing the waterpump and it was accessible.

Mine had the cheap pot-metal (or aluminum?) cam sprocket with nylon teeth. Some of the teeth were cracked and a few more broke off when I dropped it on the ground. I put a steel gear in there.

If the teeth were cracked, how was your car still going without noticing something was wrong?
Posted on: 2008/1/29 16:12

CFI-EFI RE:Timing Chain ?
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

Second, if you replaced your timing chain but it was installed incorrectly in some way, would it not destroy itself on start up or would it take awhile to break?

Time for Automotives 101.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/29 16:18

smooth RE:Timing Chain ?
Senior Guru
Formerly "Aquavet" in Pa.
386 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

RACE ON!!!

We can always count on you to bust somebody's chops huh CFI? whip :tongue5:
Even though CFI was doin' that, He was right. Auto 101 is probably a good idea. Take a look at BoxWrench.net Its an engine building site for the (mostly)novice to the expert and might help you understand things a little more. Its a forum setup like this site, They are trying to sell a "how to" companion book. I guess thats how they support the site.
Posted on: 2008/1/29 16:40

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
Even though CFI was doin' that, He was right. Auto 101 is probably a good idea.
Talk about busting chops! You bust mine and then go on to say it was a good suggestion and even facilitate it. I think I saw this thread in the dictionary under hypocrisy! Some people just can't pass up an opportunity to take a cheap shot, even if they agree with the thought.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/29 16:57

CentralCoaster RE:Timing Chain ?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

A standard oem replacement timing set can be had for $30. They've been the same for an eternity.

You can also upgrade to a double roller set for more, but only you can decide if your budget warrants it. The regular set will work just fine.

If you're not sure on installing it, then don't! Or at least get the help of someone who knows what they're doing. At least you're not afraid to ask questions.

No teeth broke on mine, just cracked. I had no idea until I pulled it out. I've seen other sprockets that were worse. The plastic material may be better for wear and noise, but it doesn't seem to endure the exposure to heat and solvents in the oil without getting brittle.
Posted on: 2008/1/29 17:26

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

RACE ON!!!

Even though CFI was doin' that, He was right. Auto 101 is probably a good idea. Take a look at BoxWrench.net Its an engine building site for the (mostly)novice to the expert and might help you understand things a little more. Its a forum setup like this site, They are trying to sell a "how to" companion book. I guess thats how they support the site.

Im used to his comments so it doesn't bother me.
Posted on: 2008/1/29 17:34

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
Im used to his comments so it doesn't bother me.
I should hope not. I took the time to figure out the "Vauge" (sic) question and gave you a proper answer.

The "Automotives 101" was an honest and timely suggestion, also.

The timing components (chain and sprockets) give no warning before failure. That can just break. It is a rare occurrence, but it happens. Unless you have X-ray vision, there is no way to check for cracked or broken teeth, short of doing all the labor involved in the replacement of the parts. At somewhere around 150,000 miles I checked my timing set for slop. It had about 12° of free play. I decided that was enough and went ahead and changed it. All of the plastic cam sprocket teeth were in good shape and showed no signs of impending failure. It was simply a matter of a stretched timing chain.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/30 0:43

smooth RE:Timing Chain ?
Senior Guru
Formerly "Aquavet" in Pa.
386 Posts

Quote:
[quote]We can always count on you to bust somebody's chops huh CFI? whip :tongue5:
Even though CFI was doin' that, He was right. Auto 101 is probably a good idea.
Talk about busting chops! You bust mine and then go on to say it was a good suggestion and even facilitate it. I think I saw this thread in the dictionary under hypocrisy! Some people just can't pass up an opportunity to take a cheap shot, even if they agree with the thought. :banghead]

Relax man, I was just effin' with you.
Posted on: 2008/1/31 3:51

cuisinartvette RE:Timing Chain ?
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

[
Posted on: 2008/1/31 4:51

fnsblum RE:Timing Chain ?
Guru Newb
Nothern Utah
32 Posts

Ditto CFI. Changing the timing chain is not a novice job. Later! Frank
Posted on: 2008/1/31 5:34

MK 82 RE:Timing Chain ?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Quote:
Ditto CFI. Changing the timing chain is not a novice job. Later! Frank

Are you two neighbors?
Posted on: 2008/1/31 19:38

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

Are you two neighbors?
Based on the info below the avatars, it looks like it. I am not aware of our ever having met.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/31 23:56

Josh RE:Timing Chain ?
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Where are you in NC black86vette?

I'm in Raleigh. I'll help you do the timing chain if you want.

Taking a basic auto class is a good idea. I learned a lot in the first 2 years. Much more than I did from then on out. The learning curve is pretty steep at first, but once you get the basics you can start to theorize on the rest of the stuff as it comes along.
Posted on: 2008/2/1 4:43

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Bout 5 minutes from Kannapolis....
Posted on: 2008/2/1 18:05

Josh RE:Timing Chain ?
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

That's not too bad I guess. About 150 miles down 85.

Let me know if you want to do it and I'll try to schedule a time to come down. I guess you could come here and we could do it my garage, but I'd hate for something to happen and we get stuck for a few days waiting on parts or something.

Why do you think you need to replace the timing chain?
Posted on: 2008/2/1 18:18

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Because everything breaks and it's annoying. I wanted to do led taillights BUT i need to replace my window motor because the ribbon broke. When I first got the car bearing rod got damaged. My tranny had to be rebuilt, my radiator went out, water pump, windshield wiper springs got damaged(weird), digidash, gas gauge, speedometer, caliper, rim, exaust needed to be replaced so I just upgraded , Distributor, tires, sound system looked like crap cuz of aftermarket, my windshield got smashed in because someone dont like me, serpentine belt wore out, battery and alternator went out, coil, plug wires, plugs fuel pump, ......Either thei njectors, differental, timnig chain,one of them is about to go out and cause all hell to break loose.....I can feel it!! , 30 dollars is cheap.

Oh yea, brake booster and master cylinder went out as well, heats not working, A.C. has a leak, intake manifold gasket was bad, windshield wiper motor,.....I know its old but damn....Need I go any further??? Lately its been parked in my yard sitting....... I think the heater core is clogged, digidash has a bad solder, speedometer piece in the tranny is shot,.

I don't want to be a pest and bother you with a timing chain. Gas is REALLY expensive.
Posted on: 2008/2/1 19:27

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.