Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
196 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  LT5
Engine used in the ZR1, 1990-1995, manual only....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jsup Birds---Sun Conure
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

What do you know about these birds. My kids are 4 and 8 years old, soon to be 5.

I am sick of keeping an aquarium. This lousy 10 gallon tank requires waaayyy too much work, for a dam fish. I flushed four fish in the last week.. Went out and spent over $100 on crap. Water testers, water softeners, new filter (I broke the last one) ect.......

So, my wife is allergic to cats, I'm allergic to dogs. Plus, I live in Northern NJ on a 75X100 lot with a 40X75 backyard, with a 10X20 shed. Not enough room for a dog.....

So anyway, I am looking at a bird. Did some research and came up with a Sun Conure. Anyone have one or know of them? Is this the right choice with little kids. A well respected local breeder has them at 12 weeks for $600. I know that's a bit high, but at least I know where it's coming from.

What can anyone tell me about these birds..Thanks.
Posted on: 2008/2/11 3:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Oaklands RE:Birds---Sun Conure
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

The wife had a green cheek conure (think that is what it was). It wouldn't talk and didn't like men. Little bast&rd bit me on a few occasions. They are kind of messy. Start off with a parakeet and see how you like them. Not a big investment. Conures are not known to be big talkers. Plus they are not big enough to eat if you don't like them. We ended up giving him away and he is now in bird heaven. ummm more likely bird hell. That is very high for a conure unless there is something special about that particular breed.
Posted on: 2008/2/11 3:37

Notorious RE:Birds---Sun Conure
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Cats suck, that goes w/o saying. Get shots and get a dog. If you ever find a friend as good as a dog, then you've found a keeper.
Posted on: 2008/2/11 3:39

jsup RE:Birds---Sun Conure
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
The wife had a green cheek conure (think that is what it was). It wouldn't talk and didn't like men. Little bast&rd bit me on a few occasions. They are kind of messy. Start off with a parakeet and see how you like them. Not a big investment. Conures are not known to be big talkers. Plus they are not big enough to eat if you don't like them. We ended up giving him away and he is now in bird heaven. ummm more likely bird hell. That is very high for a conure unless there is something special about that particular breed.

REALLY? Everything I have read says they're good talkers and playful.

I know, any animal is a mess in one way or another. It's cat hair, litter box, or bird seed. Don't want a mess, don't have an animal. Comes with the territory.

Here's what I'm looking at:

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/2/11 3:42

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Cats suck, that goes w/o saying. Get shots and get a dog. If you ever find a friend as good as a dog, then you've found a keeper.

I would, but I only have a small yard and a 2500 SQ FT house. It's not fair to the dog, IMO if I don't have the room to let them run wild. This is North Jersey.....not the city, but certainly not the country. Good chance of getting hit by a car if he gets out.
Posted on: 2008/2/11 3:44

Ramrod RE:Birds---Sun Conure
Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

I had one years ago, too damn messy!! I gave it my mother, she had it for years and got it to talk, somewhat. Of course she stayed home with it all day, oh and they bite hard!!!! Don't get it if you have small ones. :shaking:
Posted on: 2008/2/11 4:21

bogus RE:Birds---Sun Conure
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I had a Sun Conure... cute monsters.

They are VERY possessive. They have a tendency to bond with only one person, after that, your outta luck.

They don't talk, but they sure as hell squalk like a mother... it's the sorta noise that causes women to become barren. It's much like a 2 year old wanting his own way... and downright demanding it - ALL THE TIME.

Check small dogs... there are a number of breeds that are hypoalergenic... Maltese, Poodles and some of the new hybrid breeds. And they don't need a huge yard to run in. Most are rather lazy beasts. I would avoid the maltese, tho, they can be nasty little brats.
Posted on: 2008/2/11 5:54

Midnight85 RE:Birds---Sun Conure
Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

I've had birds all my life,
start the kids out on parakeets.
They are very palyful and not
that messy. Any bird will bite but
that's because they are scared.
Once they are used to the family
they won't bite unless provoked.
The downside is that you will only
have one 4-7 years, that is approx.
their lifespan. Cockatiels are next in
line but they can be downright
earsplitting. They are also playful
and live about 15-20 years. My wife
loves dogs so we agreed on a
miniature poodle. I am also allergic
to dogs & cats but the poodle is less
allergenic than most. Look it up on
Google, there is no such thing as a
non-allergenic dog. I suggest one
since your kids are so young.The
poodle was just put down after 17
years of giving my wife happiness.
I personally have a Yellow Naped Amazon
who talks better than most of my friends,
he is my buddy. Good luck
Posted on: 2008/2/11 13:47

runner140 RE:Birds---Sun Conure
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

Don't know about birds but we have had the same turtle for 23 years. Purchased for my daughter's birthday, is a great pet. :thumbleft:
Posted on: 2008/2/11 14:34

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

I'm starting to see a trend here....guess I just saved $600-700.
Posted on: 2008/2/11 14:35

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

Check small dogs... there are a number of breeds that are hypoalergenic... Maltese, Poodles and some of the new hybrid breeds. And they don't need a huge yard to run in. Most are rather lazy beasts. I would avoid the maltese, tho, they can be nasty little brats.

My dog is only ten pounds and a great companion. I have a fenced in area for her out back that's plenty of room for a dog her size or even a medium sized dog to get their exercise. There's nothing wrong with big dogs if one has the room but I'll never have another one, just for practicality. There's one thing about dogs, whether they weigh ten pounds or 150, they all have the same giant heart.
Posted on: 2008/2/11 14:58

BillH RE:Birds---Sun Conure
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

If you're going to get a Conure, get a Sun, they're the most loveable. I have a Cherry Headed conure that will bite everyone including his owner. I bought him from a pet store, big mistake. If you buy any bird, by a handfed, handraised baby.It makes a huge difference in their temperment. Most birds do bond with one person unless their raised from a baby with more than one person taking care of them, this takes time.

Birds are messy, yea a little. An air cleaner close to the cage will cut down on the pin feather and dust quite a bit.

Even smaller birds, like a Conure, need 2 hours a day of your time to stay happy. If they get this, they don't have squawking fits very often.
Larger birds, like my macaw, take even more of your time to stay mentally healthy.

I have a hi-bread Macaw, big dude. He's 39 in. from head to tail and his wing span is 4 feet. He can pick up a tennis ball (and throw it ) with his feet. The only way he'll take a bath/shower is with me, on my shoulder, with those bidass wings beating me in the head.
Posted on: 2008/2/11 15:36

Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

I tell people that my Amazon takes
a shower with me and they think
I'm bsing them.
Posted on: 2008/2/11 16:47

Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

Quote:

Not necessarily, purebred small dogs are NOT cheap.
Posted on: 2008/2/11 16:48

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
If you're going to get a Conure, get a Sun, they're the most loveable. I have a Cherry Headed conure that will bite everyone including his owner. I bought him from a pet store, big mistake. If you buy any bird, by a handfed, handraised baby.It makes a huge difference in their temperment. Most birds do bond with one person unless their raised from a baby with more than one person taking care of them, this takes time.

Birds are messy, yea a little. An air cleaner close to the cage will cut down on the pin feather and dust quite a bit.

Even smaller birds, like a Conure, need 2 hours a day of your time to stay happy. If they get this, they don't have squawking fits very often.
Larger birds, like my macaw, take even more of your time to stay mentally healthy.

I have a hi-bread Macaw, big dude. He's 39 in. from head to tail and his wing span is 4 feet. He can pick up a tennis ball (and throw it ) with his feet. The only way he'll take a bath/shower is with me, on my shoulder, with those bidass wings beating me in the head.

That's why I'm asking. I don't know if I should get one.We travel on weekends to our beach house, and the bird can come pretty easily. They don't run away if their wings are clipped, ect.... I thought they'd be a little easier to deal with than a dog.

The issue is that kids can't cuddle with a fish. I consider rats, hamsters, guinea pigs, ect.. all the same. They're rats when you get down to it.

This is why I was thinking bird, and the Sun Conure came to my attention. What's your opinion?
Posted on: 2008/2/11 17:03

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

It's not the money spent, it's the VALUE of that money.
Posted on: 2008/2/11 17:03

biggrizzly RE:Birds---Sun Conure
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I have bred and raised Exotic birds most of my life. I sold the remaining pairs before leaving South Carolina a few years ago. I raised everything from finches and canaries to Macaws and Cockatoos. I had over 200 birds in the heyday of it, back in the mid90s and also owned an Exotic Bird Store in town for several years.

Sun Conures - are clowns. Great little bird, but will drive you frickin' crazy with their constant calling. It is very high pitch and if you walked into an aviary of about 25 pairs would need ear protection (I’m serious)

Don't ever think a bird is less work than a ten gallon fish tank. Believe me, I have extensive experience on both fronts. If you think you are a bird person, then I'd give it a try. Some people here said to start out with a Budgie first, but I'm not sure that will give you the real effect of what a conure can do to your psyche!

I kept a couple of my Sun Conure offspring in the house while I hand fed them, but moved them along soon after weaning. A single bird might be ok, and will surely bond to a single individual versus being a family pet.

Bird cages need to be cleaned frequently, like every day, and water can't be left without changing. Birds are sensitive to odors and chemicals in the house, so that can be a concern as well.

Any specific questions - shoot them my way. I'd be glad to answer.
Posted on: 2008/2/11 17:07

TommyT-Bone RE:Birds---Sun Conure
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

We have (thanks to my wife) 3 dogs,1 cat,3 birds, 10 tortoises, 2 aquariums and a pot bellied pig. Every animal requires attention and makes their own particular mess. Birds throw seed and stuff out of the cage and make a mess up to about 6 feet away from the cage. They also live a long time. Get a pet with a short life expectancy. The kids get bored with it after the first week and mom and dad have to pick up the slack. Battery operated pets are the best.
Posted on: 2008/2/11 18:17

CSS996 RE:Birds---Sun Conure
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I'm really surprised how many of you folks have birds! I would never consider having a bird in the house. Just not my thing, I guess. It is really cool that you guys were able to provide so much insight though! I'm impressed!

I've had my Dalmatian for almost 12 years, and while I will miss him when he's gone, I will probably not get another dog. At least for awhile. I just need a break from it.

My wife recently got a cat, somewhat against my wishes. I really don't like cats. I hope it runs away.... Bah!

We'll need pix of whatever you bring home, of course!
Posted on: 2008/2/11 19:11

biggrizzly RE:Birds---Sun Conure
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:
I'm really surprised how many of you folks have birds! I would never consider having a bird in the house. Just not my thing, I guess. It is really cool that you guys were able to provide so much insight though! I'm impressed!

Other than the 175 or so other birds in my outdoor aviaries, we had four large parrots, (2 macaws 1 moluccan cockatoo and an Amazon) living in the house as our pet birds and about 25 pairs of canaries, and I don't know how many finches). On top of that I had salt water and fresh water fish tanks spread around the house.

Needless to say I finally got burned out on the birds and pet business and needed a break... I sold all the birds including my favorite pet parrots (this hurt).. but now I only have one pet.. I little Jack russell terrier. I couldn't be happier, although I do miss the macaws when I think of them.

Life is SOOO much simpler now!!
Posted on: 2008/2/11 19:31

Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Quote:
We have (thanks to my wife) 3 dogs,1 cat,3 birds, 10 tortoises, 2 aquariums and a pot bellied pig. Every animal requires attention and makes their own particular mess. Birds throw seed and stuff out of the cage and make a mess up to about 6 feet away from the cage. They also live a long time. Get a pet with a short life expectancy. The kids get bored with it after the first week and mom and dad have to pick up the slack. Battery operated pets are the best.

Your wife's name wouldn't be Ellie Mae Clampett would it?
Posted on: 2008/2/11 23:06

Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

We are partial to rat terriers. They can usually be bought fairly cheap since they are not recognized as a breed yet. We recently put down our old one but have a 3 year old female that love my 2 year old son. They look a bit like jack russells but are not quite as hyper. They are smart dogs as well, easy to train if you spend a little time with them.
Posted on: 2008/2/11 23:09

MK 82 RE:Birds---Sun Conure
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Get one of these. Never thought I would become attached to a FOO FOO dog. He makes me laugh every day!

Beau the Maltese
[URL=http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01356sw8.jpg]Resized Image[/URL]
Posted on: 2008/2/11 23:12

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

I think a bird is out...
Posted on: 2008/2/11 23:34

dan0617 RE:Birds---Sun Conure
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

My neighbor, when I was a kid, had a teacup poodle. Sweetest and cutest little dog. I've had several dogs and am now pet free, but I would give a teacup poodle a try if I were going to get a dog again. I personally like big dogs but they are too messy and they need room to run. A teacup poodle or other small dog does not need alot of room to run. I agree that a dog can be the best friend of everyone in the family. They show you that they appreciate you.
Posted on: 2008/2/12 0:16

Ramrod RE:Birds---Sun Conure
Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

I have a Rat Terrier, which boderlines the FOO FOO catagory, her name's Daisy. She's the best pet I've ever had, dances, sings and does all kinds of tricks.
Posted on: 2008/2/12 1:22

CentralCoaster RE:Birds---Sun Conure
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Get a big lizard or a snake then. I hate birds, if you get one, make sure it's realllly damn quiet. I'd rather listen to a barking dog, and I hate barking dogs.
Posted on: 2008/2/12 1:38

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Get a big lizard or a snake then. I hate birds, if you get one, make sure it's realllly damn quiet. I'd rather listen to a barking dog, and I hate barking dogs.

I already have a big sn.......oh never mind.....

I'm thinking we'll put off the pet thing for a while.
Posted on: 2008/2/12 1:46

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

The only problems with some purebreds is that selective breeding has introduced some inherent problems in all too many cases. Just be very aware if shopping for one, educate yourself on the breed and research the breeder thoroughly. Although there are a couple of breeds I'd love to own someday, for the most part it's irrelevant to me. Two years ago I had to give up a very special dog that I was blessed to be entrusted with for nearly 16 years. She was half Cocker Spaniel and half, who knows what. I can't really explain what a wonderful dog she was but you true dog lovers will understand what I'm saying. The one I have left is a Yorky-Shih-Tzu mix that I've had for seven years now. She's a ton of fun and makes me laugh constantly with her unique little antics and personality. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body but is ornery as hell in a completely fun way. She's never been destructive except with her own toys with which she goes ape-shit. And if I've had a bad day, I always feel better when I get home to her ecstatic welcome. Almost everything she does cracks me up and can't help but to make me feel better.
Posted on: 2008/2/12 2:35

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.