Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
282 user(s) are online (252 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

skirlin Absolut vodka gives America to Mexicans
Senior Guru
Caledonia Michigan
277 Posts

I just read that the Swedish owned Absolut Vodka's new ad campaign is geared toward the Mexican market. Their ad shows a map of Mexico and North America with Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, and California as part of Mexico. This ad caters to the Mexican sentiment that this area was stolen from them and is theirs. It seems that a lot of retailers are not too happy and choosing not to stock their product. Complaints by phone are hung up on and emails dumped without being read. Looks to me like Absolut Vodka is flying the middle finger salute to the old stars and bars. Not very good business or manners IMO. :dontget: This was in todays edition of the Grand Rapids Press.
Posted on: 2008/4/12 2:05

Oaklands Re: Absolut vodka gives America to Mexicans
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

I read where they were already canceling the ad. Seems like it was a pretty stupid idea to start with.
Posted on: 2008/4/12 2:42

bogus Re: Absolut vodka gives America to Mexicans
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Welcome to last week.

As far as I am concerned, half of that story is crap. It was a representation of what things looked like 150+ years ago. BFD.

I don't remember the history, but there were treaties that set the borders. I will have to check.
Posted on: 2008/4/12 2:43

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

skirlin Re: Absolut vodka gives America to Mexicans
Senior Guru
Caledonia Michigan
277 Posts

Evidently I have failed to convey my amusement with this story. Last weeks news? I just read it today and found it laughable and shared it with my co workers who found it amusing. I agree that half the story is crap and I am well aware of said treaties from high school history class. My interest is with what Absolut was thinking with this ad. Perhaps this thread was not wise.
Posted on: 2008/4/12 3:42

CasetheCorvetteman Re: Absolut vodka gives America to Mexicans
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

I think they need to grow some balls and harden the f*ck up.

I wasnt offened by this by this ad linked below, and its on a simular level.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PZFUZjexzws
Posted on: 2008/4/12 11:26

Shadow Re: Absolut vodka gives America to Mexicans
Senior Guru
271 Posts

Skirlin,

Don't feel alone bro. I hadn't heard it before either. I took the post as informative and missed the humor in it, but I did see the stupidity of the company in airing it

If they'd mabye explained the map to the public, it's likely the outcry would have been less.

With the country being in the mess it is today, with the regular border crossings, giving jobs to mexico and other countries that will work for pennies (for now), and such nonsense, people are getting a bit more thin skinned (or patriotic-not sure which) about certain things and tend to take more personally (at least thats been my observation).

Hanging up on callers and not reading or responding to e-mails is the quickest way in the world to go out of business!

They don't make the only or best Vodka in the world you know
Posted on: 2008/4/12 12:56

The CF Artist fka: STREETKNIGHT..R.I.P.

www.CorvetteFlorida.com

www.CorvetteInternational.com

DaleD Re: Absolut vodka gives America to Mexicans
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

That ad was targeted for Mexicans in Mexico. Absolut didn't think we'd see it over here? It's kind of like the folks from Absolut wanted to touch a 3rd rail to see just how hot it was. Controversy and marketing usually aren't compatible.
Look up La Raza, and Aztlan. There are Mexicans who believe the land was stolen from them, and are actively interested in changing things.
Given our border issues, stupid move by Absolut.

http://www.wnd.com/images2/mexicobillboard.jpg
Posted on: 2008/4/12 14:54

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I can't remember who said it first, but... I have always lived by the old ad-man axiom "there is no such thing as bad publicity."

I am with Case, we need to stop being so damned sensative. The world, in general, hates us. Screw them. Let them. It's our job, as Americans, to continue to improve and get better. Living well is the best revenge.
Posted on: 2008/4/12 17:22

CentralCoaster Re: Absolut vodka gives America to Mexicans
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

If they've got such pride in Mexico, why do they want to live in the border states instead?

Let's build a fence around the north end of all those states and give them to Mexico, then see how long it takes before they're climbing those fences too.

Seems hypocritical to have pride in your country but then want to put your name on someone else's because you can't stand the living conditions in your own.

I'm gonna drop the top on my new Corvette today and head down to Home Depot and see if I can find some hard working migrants to shine the wheels for a few bucks. USA! USA! USA!
Posted on: 2008/4/12 18:08

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I can't remember who said it first, but... I have always lived by the old ad-man axiom "there is no such thing as bad publicity."

I am with Case, we need to stop being so damned sensative. The world, in general, hates us. Screw them. Let them. It's our job, as Americans, to continue to improve and get better. Living well is the best revenge.

I think that axiom applies to celebrities, not products. In a competitive market, something to slightly taint your product can make a big difference. As it's been said, Absolut doesn't make the only, nor the best vodka. I don't buy a lot of the stuff, but I won't buy Absolut.

I agree that sometimes we're overly sensitive. But I also think there are times when you should take notice. I think the American market will tell Absolut what they need to be told, on their balance sheet.
Posted on: 2008/4/12 20:51

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN3tS-S5hU0

What a stupid overreaction. So a Mexican advertising agency puts up a controversial ad that reflects what a lot of Mexican customers already think. I'm not boycotting their product, last I checked they didn't have a say in U.S. border policy. I don't buy the stuff anyways.

I could at least see people getting offended over this episode that was stupidly sponsored by the U.S. government:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/11/sprj.irq.fries/
Posted on: 2008/4/12 21:45

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Aztlan, La Raza, Reqconquista all exist. It's not a boogey man. You don't mind those things? I don't support illegal immigration, but I do support immigration. Do you want people moving into your part of the world who have that view of how borders should be? Those people, legal and illegal, many of them believe that you live in what should be Mexico, and they vote.
If no opposition is heard, is there opposition?
America doesn't have to exist in it's current form. Countries come and go. I take offense to the ad. I boycott the product on behalf of my countrymen who live in the southwest. If however, the southwest decides it doesn't care, or wants to become Mexico, there is little I can do in that event.
Things that become big problems start out insidiously small. I remember laughing at political correctness, and how silly it was. Now it's a thorn that can cause serious problems, and does infringe on free speech.
Posted on: 2008/4/12 22:10

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Its an ad for vodka. Its not a personal attack on anyone or any nation, youre taking as if a vodka distiller wants to come and take over your country. There are hundreds of ads like this in Australia, and yet you dont see us crying like little girls about it.

So take ya skirts off, cancel your manacures, grow a mostach, and HARDEN THE F**CK UP.
Posted on: 2008/4/13 1:25

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Or... maybe you downunder need to grow a pair?
Posted on: 2008/4/13 1:32

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Grow a pair of what mate? Im not the cry baby over reacting to a vodka advertisement am i.
Posted on: 2008/4/13 1:51

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

No, you're just calling me names for stating an opinion. An opinion of something that may or may not affect America and Americans... mate. Maybe you need to harden the f**k up?
Posted on: 2008/4/13 2:08

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I dont see where i did call any names dirrected at you. If you get so upset over something so simple, youre too soft skinned for this hard world.

Its not me that needs to harden up, im not offended or upset so easily.

There is a fine line between patriotism and having a cry, and youre having a cry. Its a bottle of vodka. Get over it.
Posted on: 2008/4/13 4:04

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

After reading this I think I'm gonna buy some Absolut.

Lou Dobbs hit it on the head when he said mockingly in his bit, something like:

"I think we can all feel a lot better knowing that Absolut Vodka doesn't intend to change any of our borders, that's very reassuring".

Now when this childish sort of thing is sponsored by a government, it bugs me, but this isn't.
Posted on: 2008/4/13 14:28

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

You do as you will. Hell, Southern California may as well be Mexico now anyway.

Oh and to Case, I'm just disappointed that you'd level insults to those who were taking a particular stance, me, and then not own up to it. In a weasel sort of way you claim to not have insulted anyone in particular. So, if I were to level an insult at Australians, it wouldn't necessarily be an insult to you? I suppose that's how men behave downunder?

BTW, this is how the free market works. If you as a product maker support something I don't like, or employ advertising I don't like, or choose the wrong colors for your bottle of swill, I'm free to choose to buy your competitor's product. It's simply voting with dollars. If my favorite cereal came out with an ad campagin that indicated all gun owners were retarded, I wouldn't buy that either.
Posted on: 2008/4/13 14:44

Senior Guru
271 Posts

Holy shit! This has gone to hell in a handbasket!

We have gone from an advertisement to moderators and members tossing spears at each other.....no thanks guys.....

Both of you need to get a grip!
Posted on: 2008/4/13 14:57

www.CorvetteFlorida.com

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

It's a flaw of mine. I have a hard time backing down from a good fight. But, that old thing about arguing on the internet being like winning the special olympics comes to mind.
Posted on: 2008/4/13 15:02

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Well mate, i dont really give a sh*t how you feel about what i said, you know it and so does everyone else here.

So now i will direct toward you when i say youre being a softcock.

If youre insulted so easily, i can see why you live in America. I have alot of good mates over there, but i also know alot of over sensitive little boys that want to bitch about every little dig anyone has that could be considered to be aimed at them, even when its not. They always want to be the victim. Thankfully for your nation, most of them are not so sensitive.

If you were to insult Australians or even insult me, this nation as a whole would laugh in your face. We are not a nation of pussies here mate, we dont really get all upset cause someone insults us, be it individually, or as a whole.

Now by all means, state your opinion, but dont come back at me with a pussy attitude when i state mine, or at the Coaster when he states his. Between the 2 of us, youre going to be lucky to find a more easy going couple of blokes.
Posted on: 2008/4/13 15:03

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Case, you presume to speak for everyone else here? Wow, I didn't realize you were not only the voice of Australia, but the voice of the Guru. You are the definition a confused pussy. First of all, you take shots at me, but say it was at no one in particular. When I pin you down, you go on a rant. Then, you direct some serious sh*t at me, and close it by saying in effect: "No more insults, just state your opinion! And oh by the way, I'm easy going!" Ha!
Your opinion in this matter means less than nothing to me, you aren't even American. You know those Americans that worry about what the world thinks? I'm not one of them.
Your insults get my attention, but not my ire, and I find it laughable you get so upset over the internet. Am I to believe you are big bad rugged Case from the outback?! Rough and tumble at the keyboard!
Go have a glass of white wine, and calm down, and don't forget to squat when you pee or you'll mess up your bathroom.

Now, if you want to discuss the issue at hand, go ahead.
Posted on: 2008/4/13 15:25

Senior Guru
271 Posts

Case,

I too live in America and happen to be damned proud of it.

I've stood ready to defend our country in it's military and have served a total of 30 years as a law enforcement officer.

The fact that you disagree with DaleD is your opinion. And the fact that he disagrees with you is his.

That said, why can't we keep the debates to a professional level and leave the CHILDISH, WHINEY ASSED NAME CALLING to Brand-X (CF)!!

This is starting to sound more and more like one of thier pissing contests by the moment

But to categorize all Americans with such a comment:
Quote:
If youre insulted so easily, i can see why you live in America
...is not only invalid and insulting to all Americans, but offending to me as personally!
Maybe that makes ME a "pussy" in your book as well? If so, then so be it! I'm sure we can find a better time and place to discuss such issues.

I'm not sure where you were going with this: Quote:
Well mate, i dont really give a sh*t how you feel about what i said, you know it and so does everyone else here

I see that out of so many keyboard warriors. Whats the purpose of it?

Quote:
If you were to insult Australians or even insult me, this nation as a whole would laugh in your face. We are not a nation of pussies here mate, we dont really get all upset cause someone insults us, be it individually, or as a whole

I really don't get offended easily nor do I fly off the handle at the drop of a hat. People that know me here and from my many years at Brand X know that about me.

Patience and a sense of humor have gotten me a long way in life and kept me alive more than once.
After 51 years, it's easy to laugh at things I once took offense to.

But this little pissing contest between the 3 of you is non-pro IMHO.

I've heard great things about both of you and read a lot of CC's stuff on brand X before the exodus and my banning

I'm hoping that you're just having a bad day at the moderators table and will eventually get your chit back together.

Lets leave the name calling to the "other forum" and act like civilized, adult men and women here. Lets keep the debates friendly and on point shall we?

I'm going to leave for now and I'll check back in later. Maybe the old C4Guru will resurface

Gordon
Posted on: 2008/4/13 15:43

www.CorvetteFlorida.com

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

It's funny, in a sad sort of way. Bottom line is, I'm not going to buy a certain brand of vodka, of which I don't buy a lot. And that got us here.
Posted on: 2008/4/13 15:51

skirlin Re: Absolut vodka gives America to Mexicans
Senior Guru
Caledonia Michigan
277 Posts

Holy crap , I only thought this happened at my job , and with my wife and now this thread....what do they have in common? OH, that would be me . Open mouth, insert foot. Sorry Gents.
Posted on: 2008/4/13 16:29

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

This is to everyone in this thread.

Some topics are nothing but explosive. They will inflame and anger. This is one of them.

Why? I don't know why. If I did, I would be the most prescient being on earth.

One of the things that makes Corvette-Guru different is our freedom to exchange ideas. But I am conflicted... and I suspect this is how the slippery slope starts... conflict.

You see, I received a PM complaining about this thread. It makes me wonder... are we truly ready for a free discussion forum? Do we, socially, have a thick enough skin to stand up for what we believe in?

I don't agree with everything in this thread. And perhaps some of it can be seen as inflammatory. But at the same time, we have become soft and need to thicken our skin.

From a personal perspective, being somewhat left of center has made me much more resilient during the last 25 years of the conservative revolution. It isn't easy not being enamored by such a movement. Way too many ditto heads for my liking.

So I ask the floor, do we preserve our freedom? Or do we subjugate ourselves to the lowest common denominator?

I am afraid that if we kowtow to that lowest common denominator, we lose something very important.

I think it was Thomas Jefferson who once said "Those that give up freedom for security deserve neither."

Something to think about and I am all ears.

Finally, this is getting personal. It is what happens when intellect is overtaken by passion and the arguement goes from being philsophical to a pissing contest. I don't want personal attacks. If we could have this type of discussion without name calling and insults, more power to us. But we seem to be having a problem with that.
Posted on: 2008/4/13 18:04

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Since your asking I'll answer, although, I am one of the offenders. I am 100% in favor of letting discussions be free. However, I am also in favor of civility. Case and I went too far. I don't think Off Topic should be a free for all without restraint. I go to other boards where personal attacks are totally forbidden. A personal attack will get your post pulled. Enough of them will get you banned. How many? I don't know, I haven't been banned.
I have opinions that are contrary to some here. I'm ok with that. I'll support my opinions, and debate them. When one slips to profanity, and personal attacks, it weakens your position. I'm guilty without qualification.
So, let the opinions come out. In this instance, I am not going to sway Case, and he isn't going to sway me. But those who care to wade through the garbage may be influenced.
Posted on: 2008/4/13 18:29

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
Since your asking I'll answer, although, I am one of the offenders. I am 100% in favor of letting discussions be free. However, I am also in favor of civility. Case and I went too far. I don't think Off Topic should be a free for all without restraint. I go to other boards where personal attacks are totally forbidden. A personal attack will get your post pulled. Enough of them will get you banned. How many? I don't know, I haven't been banned.

I don't want this to be a site where banning is part of the soap opera. That's for other sites.

Quote:

I have opinions that are contrary to some here. I'm ok with that. I'll support my opinions, and debate them. When one slips to profanity, and personal attacks, it weakens your position. I'm guilty without qualification.

I appreciate your honesty. It means a lot, and represents to me, no matter your opinions, that you are a person of integrity.

Quote:

So, let the opinions come out. In this instance, I am not going to sway Case, and he isn't going to sway me. But those who care to wade through the garbage may be influenced.

And that is why I haven't been in a hurry to lock this thread.

I saw it as the opportunity to initiate another discussion... and that to me was more important, really.

Thanks!
Posted on: 2008/4/13 18:49

Senior Guru
271 Posts

Discuss untill you're hearts content. Agree, disagree, or agree to disagree...it's all good. If we were all of the same mindset:
A) Nothing would get done
B) Nothing would change
C) This would be one boring freakin' world!

Discuss, debate, support your positions and move on. Simple as that. Facts are facts and everything else isn't.

However...

My opinion, for the all < $.02 it may be worth?

Quote:
Finally, this is getting personal. It is what happens when intellect is overtaken by passion and the arguement goes from being philsophical to a pissing contest. I don't want personal attacks. If we could have this type of discussion without name calling and insults, more power to us. But we seem to be having a problem with that

There's your answer...
Posted on: 2008/4/13 18:53

www.CorvetteFlorida.com

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yay! the message is working!
Posted on: 2008/4/13 19:25

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

I think youre all madder than cut snakes. But i love you all. You all make me laugh Although at times some of you tend to take what i say too seriously and take it to heart.

You put up a good fight DaleD
Posted on: 2008/4/14 6:22

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Did I miss something?

Anyhow Case, I haven't been to Australia, but I'm sure you've got your fair share of puzzies down there. And I'm not about to try and defend the general population here.

Anyone getting offended over what some stranger types on the internet needs to point the finger at themselves first.

Let's throw down some vodka now!
Posted on: 2008/4/14 7:32

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

HAHAHAHA!! I would join you in that mate, however i dont have any on me at present!! Ive got a full bottle of scotch, 3 750ml bottles of beer, and half a bottle of Jim Beam... Will that do?
Posted on: 2008/4/14 7:54

Mekanic Re: Absolut vodka gives America to Mexicans
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

meh, idgaf, I drink Smirnoff
Posted on: 2008/4/14 11:23

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

runner140 Re: Absolut vodka gives America to Mexicans
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

Quote:

skirlin wrote:
Evidently I have failed to convey my amusement with this story. Last weeks news? I just read it today and found it laughable and shared it with my co workers who found it amusing. I agree that half the story is crap and I am well aware of said treaties from high school history class. My interest is with what Absolut was thinking with this ad. Perhaps this thread was not wise.

I thought your thread was funny...God knows our forum could use the traffic and when I drink (past tents) that was my brand.

Keep up the good work and your sense of humor.
Posted on: 2008/4/14 12:12

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

We definately generated some traffic!
Posted on: 2008/4/14 13:04

runner140 Re: Absolut vodka gives America to Mexicans
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

Bad commercial, good Vodka.
Posted on: 2008/4/14 13:45

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I don't drink vodka.
Posted on: 2008/4/14 14:42

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

It's about time you started!
Posted on: 2008/4/14 14:45

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Ill drink whatever comes through the curtain if its free....
Posted on: 2008/4/14 14:57

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

runner140 wrote:

I thought your thread was funny...God knows our forum could use the traffic and when I drink (past tents) that was my brand.

And what brand of Vodka do you drink in your new tent?
Posted on: 2008/4/14 15:09

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

HAHA!!
Posted on: 2008/4/15 6:10

patgizz Re: Absolut vodka gives America to Mexicans
Senior Guru
Medina, OH
228 Posts

absolut = rubbing alcohol.

if you can find it try Kapitanska vodka. it's a Poland produced grain vodka that is damn near as smooth as grey goose at 1/3 the price. i bring home a bottle every time i go to chicago
Posted on: 2008/4/15 13:45

Matatk Re: Absolut vodka gives America to Mexicans
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

patgizz wrote:
absolut = rubbing alcohol.

if you can find it try Kapitanska vodka. it's a Poland produced grain vodka that is damn near as smooth as grey goose at 1/3 the price. i bring home a bottle every time i go to chicago

Pat, if you want the good stuff, call me next time you're in town. I'll get you a homemade bottle of Polish Spirytus. That's where it's at. It isn't a Polak party w/o it.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/4/15 14:23

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Pat, if you want the good stuff, call me next time you're in town. I'll get you a homemade bottle of Polish Spirytus. That's where it's at. It isn't a Polak party w/o it.

Matthew

Why do I hear Dan Akroyd voicing those words?
Posted on: 2008/4/15 14:28

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

What's better? Grey Goose or Stoli?

I started buying Stoli, but usually mix it with stuff. I realize there's other stuff, but it's not always easy to get. The store here doesn't even have Jager. I'll bring my polish female friend over for some Vodka tasting.

Hey Bogus, you're supposed to be Polish too aren't you?
Posted on: 2008/4/15 14:48

Matatk Re: Absolut vodka gives America to Mexicans
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

A lot of the Polaks around here drink Sterling Vodka, at least at parties....I think it's Depends on the party, too. For birthdays, Xmas parties, any party for that matter, a bottle of booze is a perfect gift. I've gotten Skyy, Sterling, Grey Goose, Belvedere, Absolut, Smirnoff, a bunch of others. There are a lot of good brands out there. I'm not really good for recommending different ones, I usually stick to beer and the homemade stuff. I seem to remember Belvedere was good, though.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/4/15 18:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.