Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
284 user(s) are online (226 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  LT4
Engine used in 1996, all manual equipped cars came with this engine....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jsup SO, here's how it all went down.....
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

If you remember the thread, I replaced the injectors and got a noise afterwards.

After going through all kinds of isolation procedures to get to the noise, I prepared for the worst, that the bottom end was shot.

Rather than jack up the car and lay on my back again I took it to my mechanic. Told him to pull the pan and see WTF is going on in there.

I told him "sounds like cyl 7. He checked the rod bearings and all seemed fine. He disconnected the rod from seven and the motor spun and didn't bind....it seemed to turn better. So here's what he found:

[IMG]http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL857/2991862/10180626/313624933.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL857/2991862/10180626/313624928.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL857/2991862/10180626/313624924.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL857/2991862/10180626/313624919.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL857/2991862/10180626/313624915.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL857/2991862/10180626/313624911.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL857/2991862/10180626/313624907.jpg[/IMG]

Seems a distributor screw fell down the hole.

I'm going to replace the piston and rod out of caution. The weather has been really nice lately so I told him to put the thing back together and give it back to me running. If I try to do it on my schedule it will never get done.
Posted on: 2008/4/20 2:27

bogus Re: SO, here's how it all went down.....
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

there is a real chance it could last another 50k miles... I mean, gee, it didn't blow it up yet...

wow... that screw is flat!!!

I am so glad you found it, tho.
Posted on: 2008/4/20 2:39

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

jsup Re: SO, here's how it all went down.....
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

I figure the first stoke of the motor implanted it firmly into the head. It could not have landed in a better place. Talk about good luck on top of bad...what are the odds?!

If these were cast iron heads, there would be problems. Thank god for aluminum heads and pistons.

I have the heads at the shop to be magnafluxed just to make sure.
Posted on: 2008/4/20 2:41

red_johnny Re: SO, here's how it all went down.....
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

WOW! Now there is something you dont see everyday! Glad you found the problem. Too bad though you will be without it for a few days.
Posted on: 2008/4/20 2:46

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:
WOW! Now there is something you dont see everyday! Glad you found the problem. Too bad though you will be without it for a few days.

I told the shop to "just finish it". These are two guys who work on cars and Harleys. One is building his third personal engine this year. He did one for a nice convertable ford he has, another for the track he put in a truck. They at least know performance.

I really wanted it done to take my son in the Memorial Day Parade. He enjoys it:

[IMG]http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL857/2991862/10180626/256103797.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2008/4/20 2:48

CasetheCorvetteman Re: SO, here's how it all went down.....
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Hey you remember this thread?? http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... php?topic_id=3155&forum=1

Mainly this post here:
Quote:

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
I wouldnt worry about the injector plug, itll stay on there. Youll know if it doesnt.

Id be alot more concerned about the screws you have missing from the distributor cap!!

At least you found the problem mate eh?
Posted on: 2008/4/20 4:12

pianoguy Re: SO, here's how it all went down.....
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Yowzahhh! Glad you finally got it sorted out, and that the damage appears to be localized.
Posted on: 2008/4/20 4:22

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

leftoverture Re: SO, here's how it all went down.....
Guru Newb
34 Posts

Wow. Glad you found it, I would have went the same route and had the shop fix it. Large projects tend to get put off around my house, next thing you know I'd have a Vette sitting around that hadn't been touched in 5 years or something. Let us all know how it runs when you get it back.
Posted on: 2008/4/20 13:11

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

leftoverture wrote:
Wow. Glad you found it, I would have went the same route and had the shop fix it. Large projects tend to get put off around my house, next thing you know I'd have a Vette sitting around that hadn't been touched in 5 years or something. Let us all know how it runs when you get it back.

Exactly, I could just put it up on blocks and get a double wide.

At least now it's done and I can enjoy it.

I did this project as an education, and I got one. Now it's the mechanics problem. I just want it done soon, and I have a guy I know will do it right.
Posted on: 2008/4/20 13:32

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

So do you think youll take my advice in future after going back and seeing what i said?

One other thing ill sugest for future reference if you ever get to thinking youre up to taking the heads off an engine again, pull out the knock sensor and the drain plug before you do it, that way you wont have coolant going everywhere when you pull the heads off. It says that in the service manual.
Posted on: 2008/4/20 14:37

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

So do you think youll take my advice in future after going back and seeing what i said?

One other thing ill sugest for future reference if you ever get to thinking youre up to taking the heads off an engine again, pull out the knock sensor and the drain plug before you do it, that way you wont have coolant going everywhere when you pull the heads off. It says that in the service manual.

OK OK you were right,this time, don't let it go to your head.

Car is at the shop, told him to finish it and give it back running. I don't have the time to do this stuff right now, boating season is coming and my boat will be in the driveway soon enough, plus I'm reconditioning a small boat for the kids.

only so much time to do these projects and they all have to be done for the warm weather, about 4 months of the year.

We disconnected the oil cooler line off the block, which is lower than the knock sensor.
Posted on: 2008/4/20 14:45
Edited by jsup on 2008/4/20 15:04:45

Livin_the_dream Re: SO, here's how it all went down.....
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Glad to see you found the problem. You sure got lucky with where the screw landed!. I would keep that piston and hang it on the wall :thumbleft:
Posted on: 2008/4/20 15:31

Aboatguy Re: SO, here's how it all went down.....
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

Looks like you got off pretty lucky, it could have been much worse.

MIke
Posted on: 2008/4/20 22:59

biggrizzly Re: SO, here's how it all went down.....
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

John,

Glad it all turned out better than it could have. I know you feel better just knowing what the problem was rather than to continue the agony of not knowing!!! Been there.

You won't beleive it, but mine is still sitting there. At least the motor is back together, but that is where it sits until this move is over.

The wife and I just bought a house in Chesapeake Beach, MD and have been packing for a week and the moving truck comes on Friday.

All you guys from Corvette Guru that can get here, I'll be having a party at the new digs sometime after we get settled in. So keep your eyes open for the invite.

Take Care
Good Luck
Posted on: 2008/4/21 2:11

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
John,

Glad it all turned out better than it could have. I know you feel better just knowing what the problem was rather than to continue the agony of not knowing!!! Been there.

You won't beleive it, but mine is still sitting there. At least the motor is back together, but that is where it sits until this move is over.

The wife and I just bought a house in Chesapeake Beach, MD and have been packing for a week and the moving truck comes on Friday.

All you guys from Corvette Guru that can get here, I'll be having a party at the new digs sometime after we get settled in. So keep your eyes open for the invite.

Take Care
Good Luck

Thanks, sometimes you just have to say screw it and let someone who can do it full time, just do it.....Sure it will cost me an extra $1K, but at least it's on the road....

Hey, let me know when you get settled, still planning on meeting a couple guys 1/2 way between here and there for beers and burgers...
Posted on: 2008/4/21 2:22

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:

We disconnected the oil cooler line off the block, which is lower than the knock sensor.

I dont usually make statements of that nature to see my text come up on the screen, its usually cause there is some sort of substance in what i sugest. Id never let it go to my head, im simply offering assistance, which, as we well know, youre under no obligation to take.

The factory service manual i have here says knock sensor and the plug on the other side to drain coolant.
Posted on: 2008/4/21 6:32

runner140 Re: SO, here's how it all went down.....
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

Quote:

Hey you remember this thread?? http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... php?topic_id=3155&forum=1

Mainly this post here:
Quote:

I wouldnt worry about the injector plug, itll stay on there. Youll know if it doesnt.

Id be alot more concerned about the screws you have missing from the distributor cap!!

At least you found the problem mate eh?

Case, I remember your post. That looks more like a small bolt than a screw.
Posted on: 2008/4/21 11:39

Notorious Re: SO, here's how it all went down.....
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

Hey Case, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile....
Glad to see the damage wasn't too severe, Jsup. Case was right though. If I had any inkling that something could have been lost down in the engine, I'd have to tear it back apart before I could sleep again. Surprisingly in the many years and hundreds of engines I've worked on, this has never happened to me... yet. (That sound you hear is me knocking on wood) I'm always careful to get all small parts and hardware out of harm's way as soon as they're removed.
Posted on: 2008/4/21 12:26

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

runner140 wrote:
Case, I remember your post. That looks more like a small bolt than a screw.

Runner, i dare you to go out and take out one of the screws that holds down an L98 distributor.... Id bet my balls if they werent in a bag.
Posted on: 2008/4/21 12:41

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Quote:

jsup wrote:

I dont usually make statements of that nature to see my text come up on the screen, its usually cause there is some sort of substance in what i sugest. Id never let it go to my head, im simply offering assistance, which, as we well know, youre under no obligation to take.

The factory service manual i have here says knock sensor and the plug on the other side to drain coolant.

I'm just teasing ya.

the reason the FSM says knock sensor is not all cars have the oil cooler/warmer...
Posted on: 2008/4/21 12:52

xccter Re: SO, here's how it all went down.....
Senior Guru
Downtown Annapolis, MD
461 Posts

What a Lucky Dog you are.
Posted on: 2008/4/21 13:28
NCRS #48337

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Notorious wrote:
Quote:

Hey Case, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile....
Glad to see the damage wasn't too severe, Jsup. Case was right though. If I had any inkling that something could have been lost down in the engine, I'd have to tear it back apart before I could sleep again. Surprisingly in the many years and hundreds of engines I've worked on, this has never happened to me... yet. (That sound you hear is me knocking on wood) I'm always careful to get all small parts and hardware out of harm's way as soon as they're removed.

The sad part is I remember seeing the screw fall off the distributor. However, I THOUGHT it went down behind the wiring harness. I got out my trusty magnet on a stick and, well, stuck it and fished around for the screw and came up with nothing. I chalked it up to it's meeting with the odd sock in the dryer. I never saw it fall close enough to fall down the hole. I guess it took a weird bounce.
Posted on: 2008/4/21 14:29

xccter Re: SO, here's how it all went down.....
Senior Guru
Downtown Annapolis, MD
461 Posts

Murphy's Law at work. If you'd taken everything apart, it would have been behind the wiring harness. :laughing2:
Posted on: 2008/4/21 15:44
NCRS #48337

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

No mate, thats not the reason, or they would say "for vehicles so equiped, remove the cooler lines" They say knock sensor/drain plug, cause thats the drain point for the block. I havent seen one that says to remove the cooler lines to drain the block. Always better off sticking with the tried and trusted information given by the book. ;)

When i look at the pics above, i can still see coolant in the block, and thats why i made a comment about it, cause its not drained out. If its drained out first, you wont get any coolant in the cylinders when youre unbolting the heads.
Posted on: 2008/4/22 6:45

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

The FSM is the most poorly organized and written books I have ever spent $200 on...
Posted on: 2008/4/22 17:51

CentralCoaster Re: SO, here's how it all went down.....
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah I only use it for electrical diagrams and the check engine code charts.

Everything else is a mess. I can't even find torque specs in it. And I don't need a manual to tell me how to remove bolts and replace stuff.
Posted on: 2008/4/22 22:54

c4-zo7-91 Re: SO, here's how it all went down.....
Senior Guru
312 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
The FSM is the most poorly organized and written books I have ever spent $200 on...

i agree john 110% about what you said about the fsm!!
this is the reason why im always mostly asking questions on the internet forums as i hate lookiing thru the blasted darn fsm.
cheers
glen
Posted on: 2008/4/24 22:02

bogus Re: SO, here's how it all went down.....
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Torque specs are found at the beginning of each section... at least that's the way it is on the 87 and 92 manuals.

I agree, tho, that the FSM is annoying to read...
Posted on: 2008/4/25 5:09

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Its like that on all the manuals ive looked in too Bogus. I havent had an issue finding anything in any of them. They have a glossary in the back of book one. Use it and youll have no problem. Its not a story book. Understand that and youll have no problem.

Quote:

jsup wrote:

If you paid that much, you got ripped right off badly. I paid alot less from MAXX WRENCH, it wasnt even $200 by the time it was on my doorstep in Australia.
Posted on: 2008/4/25 5:47

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Its like that on all the manuals ive looked in too Bogus. I havent had an issue finding anything in any of them. They have a glossary in the back of book one. Use it and youll have no problem. Its not a story book. Understand that and youll have no problem.

Quote:

jsup wrote:

If you paid that much, you got ripped right off badly. I paid alot less from MAXX WRENCH, it wasnt even $200 by the time it was on my doorstep in Australia.

$149+shipping. Still $100 over priced.

Whoever writes this crap needs to be punished.
Posted on: 2008/4/25 21:40

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Thats way too much Jsup.

Anyway, regardless of the cost of a GM service manual, they are very easy to follow (when you know what youre doing, and thats who its written for).
Posted on: 2008/4/26 0:46

j3studio Re: SO, here's how it all went down.....
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Damn ...
Posted on: 2008/4/26 1:39

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Picked up the piston today.....

The side of the piston where the screw hit compressed the piston so low, the rings won't come out. They are in there REALLY tight on one side of the piston....

The head is done at the shop. Magnafluxed, everything is OK.

The cyl wall remains unscathed.

Got the new rod today too. Measured correctly and weighed within 3 grams of the old one. Looking good to be up and running by Tuesday, fingers crossed.
Posted on: 2008/4/26 1:48

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.