Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
212 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  DIC
Driver Information Center.

This is the display readout panel on the dash. It’s above the radio for 1984-1989; above the climate controls, 1990-...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CSS996 LS-6 Oil consumption?
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

For no good reason, I was just on Craigslist looking at Z06s. One of the three mentioned the "normal LS-6 Oil Consumption issue".

Oil Consumption Issue

What is this? Is it actually normal? I'm not even in the market for this car, but would like one someday. So what's the deal? Only certain years? All LS-6 engined cars?

Color me curious...

Also found an Electron Blue car with a red interior.... Interesting.

Blue/Red

I'd love a yellow one. But silver or blue would work.
Posted on: 2008/5/27 19:05

CSS996 Re: LS-6 Oil consumption?
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I found THIS...

So maybe not as much of a problem as one might think. Or this is a BS story...
Posted on: 2008/5/27 19:22

RollaMo-LT4 Re: LS-6 Oil consumption?
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

Those threads are about as common as the C4 overheating threads....
Posted on: 2008/5/27 20:13
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Oh CRAP!!!

Now I'm THAT GUY!
Posted on: 2008/5/27 20:15

Matatk Re: LS-6 Oil consumption?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

LOL...you are that guy!

I'd heard about the piston slap in the earlier generation c5s and the oil consumption, but never gave it much thought since I don't own one. I think it's probably blown out of proportion, just like the article states.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/5/27 21:30

biggrizzly Re: LS-6 Oil consumption?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I know three guys in our club with the 01 Z06 and they have had no problems at all. They even track the car when we do the drags and auto-cross.
If you search on CF, you'll see that there are 01 Z06 haters like there are C4 haters. If you own an 01 Z06 your are the red headed step child. Also you don't get the nice 405HP badge that the 02-04 had.

FWIW - I test drove an 01 Z06 today at a car lot in Prince Frederick, Maryland. It ran like a scalded dog when I got into 2nd gear hard and I was being conservative with the sales person in the passenger seat. That 01 Z06 would kick my 94 in the balls. I have no idea what one of these new Z06 or the brand new ZR1 are like. Good God!!! What a ton of fun that would be.

http://www.baysidechevybuick.com/inventoryframe.asp
Its the only Yellow Corvette they got in their pre-owned section. I told them I'd give $24K or $25k for it. They said that their bottom line was $28.5K
I think they are smokin' crack.

But anyway I wouldn't run from an 01z just because it don't say 405HP on the side.
Posted on: 2008/6/14 4:46

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Mmmmmm, yellow...

Thanks for the info!
Posted on: 2008/6/14 13:56

81c3 Re: LS-6 Oil consumption?
Senior Guru
Colorado
143 Posts

LS6 engines do tend to suck oil into the intake via the crankcase breathing set-up. The telltale side effect is many tiny black dots (oil specks) on the rear facia. The common fix to this is to add an "oil catch can" Several companies make them for around $100. I had installed one on my 02Z and it collected the oil perfectly. At each oil change, it gathered about 3 tablespoon fulls. That doesnt seem like alot, but at least its not going into the intake anymore & the black dots.....gone!
Posted on: 2008/6/14 16:19

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

You da MAN!
Posted on: 2008/6/14 20:18

bogus Re: LS-6 Oil consumption?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

A new member to the Guru is GalaxyEng, he has an 01 Z06. Before we met (2002) the car blew up! It had like only 400 miles on it and the motor just siezed, IIRC.
Posted on: 2008/6/14 21:09

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

QuitHaten Re: LS-6 Oil consumption?
Guru Newb
Nashville, Tn
16 Posts

I have a 2001 Z06 (Yellow!!!) I havent had any oil problems. I enjoy driving this car and yes it does run very strong. I also added the DiabloSport Programmer to it and it runs even better now. I just wish the 2001 Z06 came with the Heads Up Display. It wasn't even an option in 01.
Posted on: 2010/2/7 6:43

bogus Re: LS-6 Oil consumption?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I wonder how hard it would be to add heads up?

In the 4th gen Prelude world (where I used to live), the trend became to upgrade the manual climate controls to an automatic system from the late 90s Acura CL.

I mention that only to question the ease/complexity of the swap...
Posted on: 2010/2/7 8:09

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

cuisinartvette Re: LS-6 Oil consumption?
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Lots of the LSx motors have noises.

My 02 5.3 has always had noisy lifters and used some oil since day one when new. Piston slap all kinds of fun stuff.
112k miles and still strong as hell though. Was told when new they all do that, there was a buletin but no fix.
Posted on: 2010/2/7 15:04

BillH Re: LS-6 Oil consumption?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

81c3 wrote:
LS6 engines do tend to suck oil into the intake via the crankcase breathing set-up. The telltale side effect is many tiny black dots (oil specks) on the rear facia. The common fix to this is to add an "oil catch can" Several companies make them for around $100. I had installed one on my 02Z and it collected the oil perfectly. At each oil change, it gathered about 3 tablespoon fulls. That doesnt seem like alot, but at least its not going into the intake anymore & the black dots.....gone!

Yep, the only experience I have with the LS6 is with the guys at the track.
The guys that added the catch can have 0 problems.
Most of the DDs don't have much of a problem. It doesn't show up until you start running really hard for extended periods (1/2 hour track sessions).
Posted on: 2010/2/7 16:57

SpectatorRacing Re: LS-6 Oil consumption?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

The LS6 is damn near bulletproof on the track.

Most guys still run stock motors, as the HP fits perfectly into the NASA "A" class.

Lots of 'em don't even run the catch cans.

The LS2/3 motors are a completely different story.
Posted on: 2010/2/8 18:02

BrianCunningham Re: LS-6 Oil consumption?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z0 ... burning-oil-question.html
Resized Image
Resized Image
Quote:
Now see what Gen 3 engines are on this GM document. Hummm not just the '01 LS6. Interesting. But yet the LS6 is the infamous oil 'burner'.

It all started with the 5300 mid sized utility block that the Gen3 is based. The cylinders on the 5300 are siamesed with a small 20mm slot at the top of the cylinders so the coolant passes thru. As the engine temp rises ( generally on the C5 manual transmission models, where aggressive driving is the norm) this area of cooling has a history of distorting the diameter of the cylinder bores due to 'hot spots'. Cylinder bores did not have a consistant temperature.

Add to this that the machining tolerances were to great for both cylinder diameter and cylinder bore taper. The 1999 LS1 OEM rings are thin and ring tension is less than previous engines to reduce friction. The rings could not always seal off the cylinder ( particulary with the manual transmission when a high engine speed an low MAP (absolute manifold pressure) condition occured ( cruising in second gear thru town and not shift up to third, ect). Rings may not '"flutter " but its difficult to seal under those conditions.

The PCV system design contributed to the blow-by issue as the crankcase oil/moisture gases exited thru the valve cover and returned thru the throttle body.

But try as they may the GMPT engineers could not place the cause of this excess oil consumption .

Now come the 2001 LS6 in the Z06. A factory race car. Again with the 5300 block and now ith even more HP features including 1.5mm piston rings with 9 pounds of ring tension. Add the previous Gen 3 issues and Z06 aggressive style drivers and blow by was evident in a higher % ( greater % but less number of engines as the LS1) than GM was "comfortable" with. Even with the relocation of the PCV crankcase oil baffle/ separator under the manifold valley cover .

The LS6es extremes ( higher operating RPM) ,thin , low tension piston rings made it evident to the GMPT engineers at last what the causes of the GEN 3 blow by were. So with the LS6 as the model , GMPT did a band aid fix with the replacement of the second piston ring with an aggressive Napier scarper ring face and increased ring tension from 9 to 13 pounds. ( GMPT said that no hp was lost by the 'fix'). This what was done under #894549. GM handed the qualify of this band-aid to the dealers ( whole story in its self).

The new Napier ring pak did not go into production LS1 or LS6es till the next production year 2002 M/Y for the LS6 and a few weeks later into the 2002 M/Y production LS1 engines. NO REVISED RINGS WENT INTO ANY 2001 M/Y PRODUCTION LINE ENGINE. PERIOD !!!( John Juriga , Assistant Chief engineer for GEN 3 engines) This is all documented. The only revised rings went into owners cars under warranty that qualified as excessive oil consumption under dealer program.

FYI: in mid April 2001 a new piston was introduced to the production line engines ( both LS1 and LS6) under the issue of cold start piston slap complaints by previous year owners. This piston was larger in diameter so as to lessen the dimension between the piston and cylnder bore wall. The new piston also had a new polymer anti friction coating on the piston skirt ( a first for GM engines).

Since the GMPT engineers discovered the cause and the conditions that
'enhanced ' the oil blow by issue , GM told their C5 car owners to drive a little more conservatively i.e. shift sooner, drive not so aggressively and their oil issues would be greatly reduced . According to GM , that helped many owners bring oil blow by within reason. The C5 automatic transmission cars had the least complaints.

Look at the changes to the GEN 4 LS2 engine; coolant passages were changed, machining tolerances were tightened so as to produce a consistant cylinder diameter /taper and tmperature. The LS 2 piston rings use the same aggresive Napier scraper face but they are thinner (1.2mm) than the LS6es (1.5mm) and the combined piston ring tension on the LS2 is less than that of the '01 OEM LS6 (9 pounds).

The PCV system was again addressed on the GEN 4 LS2 with two redesigned crankcase oil baffles /oil separators . Plus two were incorporated, one on the inlet and one on the outlet. The location of the outlet oil separator is still under the valley cover as on the LS6.

Read anywhere , even the C6 Ls2 there are still complaints , granted far less about oil blow by.

Side note ; oil passing thru the combustion chambers is not good and over time and depending on just how much oil passes it will effect horse power as oil will mess up the air /fuel mixture ratio. Oil will foul O2 sensors, shorten the life of the Cats. Burned oil becomes carbon that builds on all surfaces of the piston , the ring lands, cylinder head, valves, ect.

FYI , my 2001 Z06 (prodcution date June 18th) 2001M/Y ended June 21st 2001

The information resources are Dave Hill , Chief Engineer . John Juriga Assistant Chief Engineer for GEN 3 passenger car engines, Jordan Lee GMPT engineer Gen 4 , Mark Damico GMPT Staff engineer.
Posted on: 2010/2/8 20:30

88BlackZ51 Re: LS-6 Oil consumption?
Senior Guru
481 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
The LS6 is damn near bulletproof on the track.

Most guys still run stock motors, as the HP fits perfectly into the NASA "A" class.

Lots of 'em don't even run the catch cans.

The LS2/3 motors are a completely different story.

why are the LS2/LS3 a diff story?
Posted on: 2010/2/9 11:25

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:

why are the LS2/LS3 a diff story?

The "why" is a tough question. I have not yet seen a difinitive answer as to what is different on these cars. I have seen many suggestions, such as oil galleys, oil pump, etc. Basically, the concensus is that GM designed the motor to last at roughly the g-levels you can encounter in a stock configuration with street tires. As soon as you pull more g's in a turn (>1.2 or 1.2 g) the pump starves for oil and motors blow up.

This is a well known problem, but I think most of the evidence is anectdotal. Regardless, I know enough people that have had trouble to stay away. SCCA has approved a dry-sump addition to these cars to keep them alive.

On the other hand, I know at least 25+ LS6's that are run hard and put away wet that need nothing except some valvetrain upgrades over time.
Posted on: 2010/2/9 14:20

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Here's a quote from this post on CF:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/autoc ... oiling-issues-or-not.html

Quote:
I'm not an engine guy so I don't know all the issues with the LS2 and 3 internally, but I do know they load up the Right side head full of oil and a bunch of it gets puked into the intake. The oil simply doesn't drain down enough to feed the oil pickup tube. This has the biggest effect/affect on left turns.

The other big problem they saw especially with the LS3 is blow-by. The explosion within the cylinder literally passes by the rings and superheats the oil causing those ultra high oil temps. We saw over 330 even with a cooler. GM came up with a stacked cooler in series that kept it below 300. Without a dry sump, you'll most likely have do some type of cooler stacking to keep the temps below 300. If you have an LS3 and haven't seen those temps yet, it's because you aren't driving hard enough. It will get there!
Posted on: 2010/2/9 14:25

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.