Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
284 user(s) are online (178 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

UK_Moe_Vet Won't start when it rains (and I'm in England)
Guru
UK
80 Posts

Dear All

I believe my problem is my Opti-Spark (having the car serviced soon so should get worked out one way or another) due to a rad hose leak I had on top of the engine block leaking down into the opti-spark. Presently the car cranks (you can smell gas in the air) but no ignition (car does a 2 cylinder sounding putter and quits)... not good.

Main problem is it has been raining all week and I just want to get her back in my garage (where it is dry and warm) pushing is unfortunately not a good option (maybe 1.5 inches either side of the mirrors to the garage door entrance - way too tight for me to trust/risk my pub pals to push into safely!).

When the ground is dry she starts first try. Also, previously if I tried to start the car for a minute or so (and it does not start - smell of gas in air) - if I then tried to start again in 15-30 mins it sometimes starts (but no joy at present using this method)... any short term ideas on how to get her going and in my garage would be greatly appreciated

.... cryin in the rain !!

many thanks
Posted on: 2008/10/7 12:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Qack Re: Won't start when it rains (and I'm in England)
Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

If I read your e-mail correctly, sounds like it runs fine when it's dry outside but runs like a donkey engine when it's wet. That sounds as much like spark-plug wires as it does the Opti.
Posted on: 2008/10/7 13:11

Schrade Re: Won't start when it rains (and I'm in England)
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Fuel smell? Better check fuel pressure, and time the pressure let off... Post the numbers back; someone knows what they should be.
Posted on: 2008/10/7 23:28

Resized Image

1Fast04Vert Re: Won't start when it rains (and I'm in England)
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

It definitely sounds like the Opti took a bath and retired. Pull a plug wire and see if you get a bright spark. Not sure what year you have, but checking for any codes would be a good idea. Fuel smell is actually good as it means you are getting fuel, but no spark (usually, but not always). Needed to clarify that one before someone jumped on me.
Posted on: 2008/10/8 2:24

Schrade Re: Won't start when it rains (and I'm in England)
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Get some guy-wires, and one of these:

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/10/8 13:36

Resized Image

bogus Re: Won't start when it rains (and I'm in England)
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I had a fuel pump die on me back in July.

When I tested it, it came up to a nominal 45 lbs, then would take a couple of minutes to drop to like 40 lbs... then it would take 20 seconds or so to drop to 30 lbs!!!

I think the check valve was toast!
Posted on: 2008/10/8 14:40

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

UK_Moe_Vet Re: Won't start when it rains (and I'm in England)
Guru
UK
80 Posts

Dear All

Thanks so much for your time (and blade for the image) - had a sunny day yesterday so shes now back in the garage and booked into the shop next week (so hopefully an issue of the past). As always you folks are a great help

thanx so much
Posted on: 2008/10/10 11:30

Guru
UK
80 Posts

Replaced the opti-spark and alternator last week (cost a small fortune) but it has not solved the problem - car still won't start when it is wet out. If I use a hair-dryer and point it at the distributor/opti-spark area for 10-15 mins or so then the car will start.

Mate of mine figures it could be the spark-plug wires themselves (I have had a wire off a plug and there is a spark even when it will not start - with the old opti-spark installed) so I guess my guts are leaning away from this.

If I do replace the plugs (being in the UK) I imagine I should source cables for GM/Corevette specific or are these off-the-shelf types of wires.

As always - many thanks - still prayin for sun and crying over my un-needed opti-spark bill!
Posted on: 2008/10/27 14:11

BrianCunningham Re: Won't start when it rains (and I'm in England)
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Ouch! That $uck$

LTX's have specific wires, you don't necessarily have to go with the GM stuff. Though they hold up better.

Have you done the "underhood light show" test?

Bascially start the engine at night with the hood open.
If the wires are leaking you'll see a show.

How does the harness look?

How about the coil? and the ingnition module?
Posted on: 2008/10/27 22:40

BillH Re: Won't start when it rains (and I'm in England)
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

See if you can get the Taylor brand of wires there.
Look for their Spiro-Pro, 8mm wires.
Reasons:
1. They're hi temp silicon and will outlast GM by 3 times.
2. The 8mm's will fit your stock wire looms.
3. The LT1 set fits perfectly
They run $60 US.

The next time it's wet, try wiggling the connectiors on the coil and ign. module. You could also spray those with WD40.
WD40 is Water Displacement (Formula 40)
Posted on: 2008/10/27 23:47

Guru
UK
80 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
Ouch! That $uck$

Have you done the "underhood light show" test?

Basically start the engine at night with the hood open.
If the wires are leaking you'll see a show.
How does the harness look?
How about the coil? and the inanition module?

Many thanx Brian - will look for the light show and advise (should I be looking for it when the engine starts OK or only when it won't start ... when it is dry out she starts first time every time)

The harness is OK I believe (although when I got the car I had to replace the ECM as it had burned out - so there could be some damage I am unaware of) and lastly I have written to the shop whom did the opti-swap and asked when I can come back to get these checked out)

Forgive my ignorance here - but what would your North American guestimate be should either/both the coil; and ignition module require fixing?

Sure appreciate your time
Posted on: 2008/10/28 12:40

Guru
UK
80 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
See if you can get the Taylor brand of wires there.
Look for their Spiro-Pro, 8mm wires.

The next time it's wet, try wiggling the connectiors on the coil and ign. module. You could also spray those with WD40.
WD40 is Water Displacement (Formula 40)

Dear Bill

Thanks for your time mate !!

I will order the wires you have suggested (cheers)

Also - tried WD40 in the rough area I think the opti/coil/ign but to be honest I am not sure exactly where they are on the LT1. I believe it to be where I can see the spark plug wires join together in what I would have called a distributor (not sure if opti is the Vette equivalent) - this area is located towards the bottom left of the engine block if you were looking at it head on (this is the area I used the hair dryer on to get it to start last time it was soaking out)

If you folks have any images which might help me better isolate the opti/coil/ign on the block then I sure would appreciate it
Posted on: 2008/10/28 12:46

Matatk Re: Won't start when it rains (and I'm in England)
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

UK_Moe_Vet wrote:

Also - tried WD40 in the rough area I think the opti/coil/ign but to be honest I am not sure exactly where they are on the LT1. I believe it to be where I can see the spark plug wires join together in what I would have called a distributor (not sure if opti is the Vette equivalent) - this area is located towards the bottom left of the engine block if you were looking at it head on (this is the area I used the hair dryer on to get it to start last time it was soaking out)

If you folks have any images which might help me better isolate the opti/coil/ign on the block then I sure would appreciate it

The optispark is the distributor. Sorry I'm no help on the other costs to replace the coil.

Here's a quick little article on replacing with and MSD - should help you locate yours:

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_070 ... t1_distributor/index.html

Good luck,

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/10/28 13:17

BillH Re: Won't start when it rains (and I'm in England)
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

No Problem Moe, First, to make sure we're on the same page, the left side should be the driver's side (unless you have a right hand drive), but the left is left as you're sitting in the seat.

Yes, where the wires are "joined" together is the Dist/Opti.
that side is under the power steering pump. It's also where the coil wire plugs in. The coil wire then goes under the waterpump and to the right side of the motor.
The LT1 coil is on the right side, directly in front of the cylinder head. Right behind the coil is the ignition module sitting up against the valve cover and plugged inti the harness that also plugs into the coil.
Both the coil and ign.module can be tested. An ign, module runs $120 US, so you should test it before you decide to replace.

Note that most ign. modules have problems when they get too hot not when they are cold.

Do you have any "Corvette buddies" with an LT1, that would lend you a module? It takes about 10 minutes to swap.

Actually, your problem doesn't sound like the module to be but, I could be wrong. It soulds more like wires, coil or a ground problem. Vettes (especially 92-3) have some grounding problems that can easily be fixed with a little maintainence.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 13:19

CentralCoaster Re: Won't start when it rains (and I'm in England)
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Smear some dielectric grease on the plug terminals before you put them on. This will prevent surface corrosion on the terminals.

Personally, I don't think there's any chance it's the plug wires, they will work even without a good connection, and even if 1 or 2 didn't work at all the car would still start.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 15:12

cuisinartvette Re: Won't start when it rains (and I'm in England)
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

[QUOTE]especially 92-3) have some grounding problems that can easily be fixed with a little maintainence.[/QUOTE]
Wondering if this could be closer to the source of the problem as moisture could potentially affect it. Before you listen to any more telling you to throw expensive parts at it start with the simple stuff.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 15:27

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Here's a good reference photo
You can see the opti under the waterpump and the wires coming out of it.
You can also see the coil and module on the passenger side head.

If it's needed the computer replaced, then I'd check the harness. You might be able to have the ignition module checked at a parts supplier.

For part prices in the US you can checkout the online suppliers
http://www.partsamerica.com

They might ask for a zip code, you can use mine 01887

They list about $132US for the ignition module, multiple brands
about $60US for the coil, also multiple brands

[IMG]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/swiftwood/Corvette/LT1_LT4/untitled2.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2008/10/28 16:06

Guru
UK
80 Posts

Dear All

thanks so very much - car is booked back in the only corvette shop in the UK next Tuesday (at least the only one I know of)

All of your fine suggestions will be put to them then - hope to have an answer one way or the other !!
Posted on: 2008/10/29 13:20

UK_Moe_Vet Re: Won't start when it rains (and I'm in England) SORTED
Guru
UK
80 Posts

Sorry for not posting the resolution sooner

Good news ... even though an expensive road to get here (replaced opti-spark, 2nd alternator and now plugs cables as well) - turns out it was the spark plug wires - when replaced now starts every time in the rain - just wanted you all to know and to thank you for all your time
Posted on: 2008/12/29 18:45

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Good to hear!

Hope you kept the old opti's
Posted on: 2008/12/29 19:02

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.