Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
204 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Ruby
Refers to 1993 Anniversary Editions.

These are the actual cars honored as anniversary cars. They have RPO Z25 to prove it....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BrianCunningham [graphic] I'm glad I have a 6pt harness
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Ouch!

Quote:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:31 PM
To: ne-svt@googlegroups.com
Subject: NE-SVT: Harnesses

Everyone (especially guys) who use a harness should look at this (some graphic images, be warned, may be NSFW, but is still important to read).

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science? ... 4efd9af52e783895ccdb#fig1

This is one of those images that you won't soon forget (and shouldn't). In light of this, I'd like to start a discussion on harnesses. I just spent a considerable amount of money on seats for my Lotus so that I could run the OEM lap belts. I currently have a Willans 4 point harness. I've read that 4 point harnesses (without ASM) can be dangerous and that many places require 5 or 6 point harnesses. Having seen the above link, I'm not sure I really want to run a 5/6 pt. On the other, other hand, I know that my 4-pt harness (both the Willans I currently have and the Scroth that I used to have) both ride up to high when tightened (this can also cause serious internal injury/death). I also really like the way that my 4-pt harness holds me in place.

So, what is the collective wisdom (4-pt., 5/6 pt. or OEM belts)? I'm not opposed to spending money on my safety, but I just want to make sure I do what is best.

I'm kind of leaning towards just using the OEM belts. The new seats I bought have a lot of support, so I'm somewhat hopeful that I won't need the "bracing" of the harness to hold me in place. They are also a lot easier to live with while driving on the street.

-Paul
(although my "buddies" are now "mission accomplished," I still want them around)
Posted on: 2009/6/10 17:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: [graphic] I'm glad I have a 6pt harness
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

This needs a bigger warning.

Link shows closeups of a guy who almost lost his nuts. (Yes, those nuts).

Click on them to enlarge if you really want to lose your appetite.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 17:26

CentralCoaster Re: [graphic] I'm glad I have a 6pt harness
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I do fear submarining with OEM belts, or at least getting gutted by it. The lap belt rides too high on me. I guess I could raise my seat to help a little.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 17:32

pianoguy Re: [graphic] I'm glad I have a 6pt harness
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I'll give that a cringe factor of 10.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 18:18

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Mekanic Re: [graphic] I'm glad I have a 6pt harness
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Interesting read. Safety in motorsports is a BIG thing for me. Ricers with stock seats and non-certified 4 points make me cringe in horror.

I've never seen an injury like that with a 6 point belt tho. My guess is it wasn't tightened enough making him impact the belts in the crash.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 23:28

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

BillH Re: [graphic] I'm glad I have a 6pt harness
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
The lap belt rides too high on me.

That's the beauty of the antisub belts, adjusting their length allows you to control the position of the lapbelt (higher or lower).
The tighter you pull the shoulder belts, the higher the lapbelt comes up.

So damn many people have their belts adjusted wrong anyway, it's scary. BUT, not as scary as a 4 point belt.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 1:57

bogus Re: [graphic] I'm glad I have a 6pt harness
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
This needs a bigger warning.

Link shows closeups of a guy who almost lost his nuts. (Yes, those nuts).

Click on them to enlarge if you really want to lose your appetite.

ouch.

I think I will pass.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 2:05

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: [graphic] I'm glad I have a 6pt harness
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22806 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

So damn many people have their belts adjusted wrong anyway, it's scary. BUT, not as scary as a 4 point belt.

So is that what caused this?

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/6/11 2:35

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I'm not sure I understand your question correctly Matthew.

I'll try an answer, let me know if it's something else.

The injurys to this guy could be caused by multiple things. My first guess is that the belts were too loose. My second guess is that the belts were impropery installed specific to the mounting locations.

Many guys get a 5 or 6 point seup and think they can wear the belts at the tension they wear their street belts at.
Many guys just use whatever bolts are already available on the car to fit the harness and those locations can be incorrect.
There are specific ways that the lapbelt should be installed and a specific point on your hips that it should cross. The antisub belts should control the location of the lapbelt (up or down) when the shoulderharness belts are pulled very tight.
Both the lap and shoulder bets should be very, very tight.

There are baffons like this guy Paul who think different seats will hold them in enough.
Using 6 point belts with stock seats isn't a very good idea either.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 3:11

Mekanic Re: [graphic] I'm glad I have a 6pt harness
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Exactly Bill. Its not just the fact that you have a good seat or a good belt, proper installation angles are KEY.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2009/6/11 12:11

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Matatk Re: [graphic] I'm glad I have a 6pt harness
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22806 Posts

That's it, Bill. Thanks.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/6/11 12:52

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Mekanic wrote:
Exactly Bill. Its not just the fact that you have a good seat or a good belt, proper installation angles are KEY.

Resized Image

Yep, and it's also important whete the laps cross your pelvis and that the shoulder belts be attached to the harness bar or rollbar so that they point as straight back as possible.

I think Schroth and Willins (my favorite belts) have good diagrams too. Thanks for posting the pic.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 13:21

PJK Re: [graphic] I'm glad I have a 6pt harness
Guru Newb
1 Posts

Hi Bill,

I never stated or implied that different seats would eliminate the need for a proper belt set up. The mere fact that I posted that original question (not to this board I might add) should have been enough evidence for you to come to this conclusion. My point in the original email was whether a 4 pt with ASM, 5/6 pt., or OEM belt would be better FOR MY PARTICULAR APPLICATION. Certainly you can agree that one set-up is not best for every application.

I understand that there is a lot of bad information and/or misunderstanding regarding safety equipment. But your reference to me as a "baffon" not only did not help your point, but was also a poor snap decision. I also suspect that you would not have said that to my face.

By the way, I think the word you were looking for is buffoon, not baffon.
Posted on: 2009/6/30 15:19

TommyT-Bone Re: [graphic] I'm glad I have a 6pt harness
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33769 Posts

To quote Major General Anthony McAuliffe. "Nuts."
Posted on: 2009/6/30 16:23

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Still holdin' that bridge, Tommy?
Posted on: 2009/6/30 16:25

TommyT-Bone Re: [graphic] I'm glad I have a 6pt harness
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33769 Posts

That pic made me hold something but it wasn't a bridge.
Posted on: 2009/6/30 16:29

Jeffvette Re: [graphic] I'm glad I have a 6pt harness
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
I'm not sure I understand your question correctly Matthew.

I'll try an answer, let me know if it's something else.

The injurys to this guy could be caused by multiple things. My first guess is that the belts were too loose. My second guess is that the belts were impropery installed specific to the mounting locations.

Many guys get a 5 or 6 point seup and think they can wear the belts at the tension they wear their street belts at.
Many guys just use whatever bolts are already available on the car to fit the harness and those locations can be incorrect.
There are specific ways that the lapbelt should be installed and a specific point on your hips that it should cross. The antisub belts should control the location of the lapbelt (up or down) when the shoulderharness belts are pulled very tight.
Both the lap and shoulder bets should be very, very tight.

There are baffons like this guy Paul who think different seats will hold them in enough.
Using 6 point belts with stock seats isn't a very good idea either.

This incident boils down to not having the belts or a proper seat installed. I have seen many guys using a 5 point system that the shoulder straps could not get the correct angle around the upper part of the seat and keep the belts riding on the proper area of the shoulder, nor could the submarine belt do any good for lap belt fit across the pelvic area.

The crotch belts purpose and only purpose is to help hold down the lap portion after you have cinched down the shoulder belts. Your crotch should never touch the submarine belt in an accident period. All the movement and flex that you want is in the hips and the belts themselves. Hence the reason why you should replace your belts after an accident.

I'm getting tired of these commando type of guys going out to track days thinking they are the shit with improper equipment added, when the factory stuff is good enough. If you want the added safety, go out, get a bar, harnesses and a proper seat. Then finalize the purchase with a HANS or other neck support system. Then go back out to the track.
Posted on: 2009/6/30 18:54

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Frist, I'll apologize for my remark,must have clicked a link here to that other Corvette forum before I read this post, usually puts me in a mood. I probably wouldn't have done it if you had posted it here. Quote:

PJK wrote:
I never stated or implied that different seats would eliminate the need for a proper belt set up.

But you wrote this:
"I'm kind of leaning towards just using the OEM belts. The new seats I bought have a lot of support, so I'm somewhat hopeful that I won't need the "bracing" of the harness to hold me in place."

At least you did state that you had no problem spending the money on the equipment.

As far as mispelling stuff, I don't bother with a spell checker because I really don't care.
Posted on: 2009/6/30 23:22

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:

The crotch belts purpose and only purpose is to help hold down the lap portion after you have cinched down the shoulder belts. Your crotch should never touch the submarine belt in an accident period. All the movement and flex that you want is in the hips and the belts themselves. Hence the reason why you should replace your belts after an accident.

Thst's one reason I favor the formula car style subs. Since they don't clip in but go thru D-rings on the lapbelt, you have to have your stuff out of the way when you're putting them on.

As far as replacing belts after an accident, I know how far a combination of my neck and Simpsons will stretch when you hit upsidedown from 8 feet in the air. The stretch can eaisly be over 3 inches, that's how much it took for my helmit to hit the track.
Posted on: 2009/6/30 23:29

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.