Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
310 user(s) are online (258 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C2
Abbreviation for the 2nd generation of Corvettes built from 1963-1967....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

VtVette Hey Central - you ever review a C5?
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Hey Kevin, I'm curious if you've ever given your opinion of the C5? I'm sure by now you've driven one. What were your thoughts?

Brian
Posted on: 2009/11/16 0:56

1993 triple black roadster 6 speed
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: Hey Central - you ever review a C5?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Actually I haven't!

And I haven't had many opportunities to go up against them at the drag/auto-X/hpde events I've been to, which is a shame really there's not more showing up.
Posted on: 2009/11/16 5:17

Curtis1974 Re: Hey Central - you ever review a C5?
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

I've drove a couple. To be honest the steering response in my C4 feels better and tighter. Creature comforts in a C5 are better. I can actually get out of a C5 without too much effort. However, in the C4 you feel more like you are in a cockpit of a plane as everything wraps around you. In my opinion I feel more one with the C4 than the C5. If I was to ever get one I would go after a Z06 rather than a base model C5 for the performance. C5's are becoming easier to purchase now in terms of affordability.
Posted on: 2009/11/16 5:54

BillH Re: Hey Central - you ever review a C5?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Curtis pretty much echoed my opinion. I've driven a few, driven a couple on the track. I've also spent many hours instructing in them, probably 30 different ones.

I'm not much of a fan of the standard C5. I really don't like the seats. And I much prefer the cockpit feeling of the C4,3,2.

They do have better brakes and they're much more forgiving on the track for most drivers. If you push one on the track, you'll quickly notice areas that need improvement.

If I had to drive cross country, I really couldn't pick a C5 over a C4. Both would make me smile, I have driven my C4 6 1/2 hours w/o stopping and felt great at the end.

I did have a chance to drive a modded 03 Z06 at the track. I had a guy hire me for 2 days of private coaching that had Penske/coilovers, full cage, Sparco seats and big brakes.
Big, big difference, much more stable, easier for a novice driver to correct the slides,etc. A very nice car.

I wouldn't really want a C5 unless it was a Z06, CC's post on pricing has me thinkin' again.
A perfect one was just sold here, older driver, never run hard, 03 with 34,000, garage kept, mint. $18k.
Posted on: 2009/11/16 14:42

BrianCunningham Re: Hey Central - you ever review a C5?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I've driven a couple as well

felt like I was driving a Honda

Didn't really appeal to me.
Posted on: 2009/11/16 14:47

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Actually I remember now I rode shotgun in a stock C5 at a HPDE with an instructor (Terry Free).

The car is very capable if pushed hard, even on stock goodyears. But yeah, the interior feels like you're in a family car. And the seats are HORRIBLE because they have no side bolster support. During hard cornering you spend most of your time hanging onto things trying to hold your body in place. Reminded me of how I drive my Chevy pickup with the slippery vinyl bench seat when there's a girl next to me. The C5 felt softer and tamer in every way than every C4 I've experienced. It even feels slower although it isn't.
Posted on: 2009/11/16 19:37

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Reminded me of how I drive my Chevy pickup with the slippery vinyl bench seat when there's a girl next to me .

Oh boy, I could ask.................. but I won't.
Posted on: 2009/11/16 23:03

patsfan05488 Re: Hey Central - you ever review a C5?
Guru
229 Posts

Brian i've already taken the insurance off my car for the year ( weather been great to doh ). but next spring we'll have to hook up so you can drive it for a bit.
Posted on: 2009/11/16 23:55

cuisinartvette Re: Hey Central - you ever review a C5?
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

[QUOTE]The C5 felt softer and tamer in every way than every C4 I've experienced. It even feels slower although it isn't.[/QUOTE]

Ditto...like the FRC roofline, roomier interior for sure.
Maybe a C5Z06 would be the ticket. Ligher, bit stiffer ride would liven it up. Just couldnt afford to mod one that way Id want so never bought one to get that barrel of monkeys open.

All around they are a nice driving car, I could get used to one.
Posted on: 2009/11/17 2:18

VtVette Re: Hey Central - you ever review a C5?
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Wow great replies! This is probably the best thread I've ever read about the "C4 vs. C5" experience. Like most I'm curious about the C5 as prices are certainly coming down. Personally I still prefer the look of the C4 (especially convertible) and I love the interior of the C4 but these are strictly personal opinions of course. As CC mentioned I actually like that on the street the C4 actually feels "faster" than you are actually going. Chalk it up the the stiff ride/flexy chassis?

Hey Rob thanks again for the offer. We will definitely get together in the spring and check out each others new rides!

There is a Corvette show in Stowe the 14th and 15th of June The "Green Mountain Corvette Classic" we should try to hit up next year. I always seem to remember the show around July. I've been trying to attend for years. Next year I WILL go!
Posted on: 2009/11/17 3:27

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

[QUOTE]Chalk it up the the stiff ride/flexy chassis? [/QUOTE]
Yes, something stiff with a quick turn box can give the impression a car handles better than it really does.
The C5 feels muchier as if it wouldnt handle better but they generally do. Technology.....

You can definitely feel the stiffness in the frame on the C5 something that was much needed upgrade. Brakes as said above are excellent.
Posted on: 2009/11/17 3:30

VtVette Re: Hey Central - you ever review a C5?
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Honestly for a street car there is little I would really want to change to the C4 but the flexy frame really does suck. I have a BMW 325 convertible I drove the other day and damn, what a difference a stiff chassis makes for the driving experience.

Are additional chassis braces worth the investment on the C4? I already have a X Brace as I have a vert.
Posted on: 2009/11/17 3:44

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

VtVette wrote:
Honestly for a street car there is little I would really want to change to the C4 but the flexy frame really does suck. I have a BMW 325 convertible I drove the other day and damn, what a difference a stiff chassis makes for the driving experience.

Are additional chassis braces worth the investment on the C4? I already have a X Brace as I have a vert.

Things like the camber brace have been argued on the forums many, many times (mostly a bunch of silly preceptions) with no definitive tests done that I've ever seen. No ones put a strain gage setup on the towers.

A stiffer chassis is always better (but, you already know that ). (Properly dampened that is)

Personnaly, if I ever put any bucks into my 92, it will go towards bars/shocks before any chassis stuff. Bigger bang for the buck.
Posted on: 2009/11/17 14:00

BrianCunningham Re: Hey Central - you ever review a C5?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Just putting a harness bar in mine made a world of difference.

I'm going to step up to a 6pt over the winter, that should really stiffen it up.

I plan on adding the brace from a convertible as well.
Posted on: 2009/11/17 14:38

CSS996 Re: Hey Central - you ever review a C5?
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I went for a little ride/drive in a Z06 during the summer. It was my buddy John's. (81c3 here and on CF)

I took it pretty easy with the car, being too chicken shit to drive it the way it was intended. But John took a turn at speed that had a bit of a drop-off, mid corner.

The C5 tracked well, and held on with little drama. I believe if we had been in a C4 there would have almost been time for me to shat myself before we hit the canyon wall.

I'm pretty sure the yaw rate sensors helped us out a bit.

I really don't like how the rear end on my '93 goes away around corners with rippled pavement. But I'm not about to pour a bunch of money into suspension parts for it.

If I stick with Corvettes for my toy cars, a C5 Z06 would be my next car. Assuming I couldn't skip a rung or two and go straight for a C6 Z06, or GS.

But Mustangs, Porsches and such are always on my mind.
Posted on: 2009/11/17 15:47

j3studio Re: Hey Central - you ever review a C5?
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Here's betting that y'all trying to pick between a C4 and a C5 to go on a cross-country trip own the latter part of the C4 generation...

...I'm just saying.
Posted on: 2009/11/17 18:50

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

j3studio wrote:
Here's betting that y'all trying to pick between a C4 and a C5 to go on a cross-county trip own the latter part of the C4 generation...

...I'm just saying.

Yep, mine's a 92. But I've also been cross country twice in my C2 and loved every minute of it.
Posted on: 2009/11/17 19:56

j3studio Re: Hey Central - you ever review a C5?
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

j3studio wrote:
Here's betting that y'all trying to pick between a C4 and a C5 to go on a cross-country trip own the latter part of the C4 generation...

...I'm just saying.

Yep, mine's a 92. But I've also been cross country twice in my C2 and loved every minute of it.

Ah. But I've driven mid years with substantially more compliance than my 1985 Z51...

I've driven 2,700 miles on a single trip in my 1985. Comparing driver fatigue and other factors to the 7,800 miles I did in a single trip in the 2003: well, there is no comparison.
Posted on: 2009/11/17 20:34

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah the rear suspension compliance on the early Z51 cars sucks, but it really isn't an issue unless you're on surface streets. I have no complaints about long highway rides in my 85. Keep in mind the rear spring on your 85Z is about half the stiffness of the 84! But much of the spinal-compression is from binding.

Also I've been careful to not spoil myself with comfortable cars. If I can sit on a sport bike for 12 hours in a day, the rest is cake. I take driving seriously and am always actively involved when doing it, so if the car gives me more feedback and requires more input, I don't mind that.

The goal with many cars these days though is to do the job with as little effort or distraction to the driver. Great if you have to spend your entire drive multi-tasking on the cell phone or doing makeup, but reallllly boring otherwise.
Posted on: 2009/11/17 23:09

SpectatorRacing Re: Hey Central - you ever review a C5?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

So you're not going to buy active cruise control, lane keeping, park assist, and other features on your next car?
Posted on: 2009/11/18 16:47

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The next car I probably buy was already manufactured 40 years ago, so I won't have to worry about paying extra for those options.

I used the cruise control on my vette once. I'm so out of touch with the high tech gadgets on new cars, don't know, don't care. Ooh.. your car tells you where traffic is and diverts your route? Nice. Mine splits lanes. Ooh... it automatically controls your seat temperature? Nice. My V-twin engine keeps my ass warm. And on my truck the bench seat warmer is powered by carne asada burritos.

I'm the youngest old fart you'll ever meet.
Posted on: 2009/11/18 22:09

88BlackZ51 Re: Hey Central - you ever review a C5?
Senior Guru
481 Posts

Is there a better car out there right not then a 02 Z06 (bang for the buck)? Most even come with some bolt on's 2 make 450-475 at the flywheel.

I want to buy one after I get my 88 rocking!
Posted on: 2009/11/19 23:36

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Eh...neat cars but I dont see myself ever buying another car for maany years if at all. Its all the electronics in them that kill the deal for me, once they start aging the car becomes a pain unless youre good with that stuff which Im not.
Ill stick to my 42 yr old boat. Couple wires, simple fuse box, no power anything except brakes/steering thats it.
Posted on: 2009/11/20 1:26

88BlackZ51 Re: Hey Central - you ever review a C5?
Senior Guru
481 Posts

Posted on: 2009/11/20 13:18

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
Ill stick to my 42 yr old boat. Couple wires, simple fuse box, no power anything except brakes/steering thats it.

Yep, that's what I like about my 32 year old racecar.
I've got 3 wires going thru the firewall and only one wire in the engine bay (coil to disty).
Love it.
Posted on: 2009/11/20 13:52

SpectatorRacing Re: Hey Central - you ever review a C5?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
Eh...neat cars but I dont see myself ever buying another car for maany years if at all. Its all the electronics in them that kill the deal for me, once they start aging the car becomes a pain unless youre good with that stuff which Im not.

But they're so....much....FASTER!!!

Around a track, anyway. Who cares about a straight line? Well, unless it's between two corners.
Posted on: 2009/11/20 20:09

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:

Get one with manual seats and everything.
When the computers start giving you fits, rip it all out and put a carb on it!
Posted on: 2009/11/20 20:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.