Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
273 user(s) are online (239 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Backspacing
A wheel dimension measured from the hub mounting surface to the inner sidewall of the tire, usually measured in Inches. It determines how much tire ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Thursday Chat 04.22.10
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Not much on the news front today. Chilly in the morning and warming up later. I made hard boiled eggs for lunch. I know that doesn't sound very exciting, and it's not. But I haven't had them in a long time and I was craving some. Every once in a while I get weird cravings.

I did pick up a case of Sam Adam's Summer Ale last night. Excellent flavor and taste. I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to maybe having another tonight to relax a little bit.

We also have another guy coming to give us an estimate on Saturday for the sprinklers. This guy is a friend of my brother's who has his own landscaping company. If it's a good deal we'll get it knocked out soon.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/4/22 11:43

Durango_Boy Re: Thursday Chat 04.22.10
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Morning Matt.

I'm going to go for my first outdoor run of the summer, now that's it's warm enough to do so without winter clothing on due to the morning's chilly temps.

Then I have to get the garbage out.

I'll get the yard trimmed first thing, and then by then Curt will have arrived and we'll spend the morning working on the Vette.

I'll have to take a break to take my Grandmother in for a PET scan, she was diagnosed with breast and lymph node cancer last week.

Curt and I will get some lunch at Hooters...been a few weeks for that too, and then do more work on the Vette until Grandma is ready to be picked up.

Should be a fun day.
Posted on: 2010/4/22 11:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Vetron87 Re: Thursday Chat 04.22.10
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Cloudy and cool. I have been asked to stay 1 more year. Just got back from a meeting and apparently the school administration has made commitments to other schools to have their students to take my woods course here. Crap!!! I'm counting down the days with 26 left and they pull this stunt. That light at the end of the tunnel is now a freight train coming at me. There will be no one to replace me the course will die! Even some manufacturing firms want this course taught. I told them I need an incentive to stay! Maybe ZR-1 or Z06! Yea Right!!.
Posted on: 2010/4/22 12:40

pianoguy Re: Thursday Chat 04.22.10
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Greetings! Last dry day here for a while, looks like rain starting tomorrow and then off and on all weekend. Maybe I can get the Corsas installed and clean up the garage a bit.

Hold out for that ZR-1, Ron ;-)
Posted on: 2010/4/22 12:46

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Epimax Re: Thursday Chat 04.22.10
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Morning Matt.

I'm going to go for my first outdoor run of the summer, now that's it's warm enough to do so without winter clothing on due to the morning's chilly temps.

Then I have to get the garbage out.

I'll get the yard trimmed first thing, and then by then Curt will have arrived and we'll spend the morning working on the Vette.

I'll have to take a break to take my Grandmother in for a PET scan, she was diagnosed with breast and lymph node cancer last week.

Curt and I will get some lunch at Hooters...been a few weeks for that too, and then do more work on the Vette until Grandma is ready to be picked up.

Should be a fun day.

Sounds like a great day on tap!
Prayers sent for your Grandma...Hope everything will be ok..
Posted on: 2010/4/22 12:52

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

Epimax wrote:

Prayers sent for your Grandma...Hope everything will be ok..

+1
Posted on: 2010/4/22 13:23

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

BillH Re: Thursday Chat 04.22.10
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I don't wanta hear anyone bitchin' about the weather, I thought April Fools was 3 freekin' weeks ago.
Oh well, it'll be 71 degrees here tomorrow.

Attach file:

jpg  IMGP0717.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/4/22 13:23

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Sheesh, Bill! That's pretty, but I don't want to see any snow for many more months.

Matt, have you checked with any of your neighbors to see if they're interested in a sprinkler system? They'll usually cut you a deal if you can find 2 or 3 other folks in the neighborhood. We put one in a few years ago, and it is my wife's favorite thing (she was our former sprinkler system).
Posted on: 2010/4/22 13:28

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
I have been asked to stay 1 more year.

Seller's Market

You paid your dues. Like they were going to give you a gold watch and a big retirement party, right? Ptttt.

If other schools and mfgs are involved, they should all kick in a bit. Nice Zs are less that $20k.
Posted on: 2010/4/22 13:42

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Gold Watch??? Probably leaky water bottle! or Coffee Mug. Oops! starting to rant! I'll probably still retire!! F***em!!!

On the lighter side!! 7 more yards of topsoil to move around to complete my landscaping honey do this list.
Posted on: 2010/4/22 13:52

TommyT-Bone Re: Thursday Chat 04.22.10
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Gold Watch??? Probably leaky water bottle! or Coffee Mug. Oops! starting to rant! I'll probably still retire!! F***em!!!

You and teebee will always be indispensable. Next year it would be somethiing else. Stay if you want to stay. If not, let them transfer the kids to a basket weaving class. The education system today, in my opinion, has lost it's focus. It's not the teachers, they have to roll with the changes. Kids have to learn marketable skills. I'm sure they could find another candidate. It just would not be another you.
Posted on: 2010/4/22 14:46

TommyT-Bone Re: Thursday Chat 04.22.10
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I'm feeling a little drained. Just got back from getting some blood work done. Did a quick little stop in the grocery store then headed home. Fed Ex man dropped off my new spoilers and egr tube heat wrap sheild for the 90. (Thanks Andy)
I was going to go run the boat today. It's such a beautiful day out but everything I'm touching today is turning to sh*t. Kinda like the the King Midas touch but there ain't no gold. Started with me driving over a parking stop at the grocery store. Fortunately I was in my Yukon and didn't hurt anything. Opening stuff from the wrong end, dropping stuff. I don't have any concentration. Not good to run a boat in that frame of mind. Errors on the water can get expensive real fast. I'm gonna go lay down for a while and when I wake up I'll restart my day.

Regards to your Grandma D_B.
Posted on: 2010/4/22 15:03

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

You and teebee will always be indispensable. Next year it would be somethiing else. Stay if you want to stay. If not, let them transfer the kids to a basket weaving class. The education system today, in my opinion, has lost it's focus. It's not the teachers, they have to roll with the changes. Kids have to learn marketable skills. I'm sure they could find another candidate. It just would not be another you.

There is no focus/the academic wing teaches for a standardized test the students take in the spring. Next week it will be another crisis! still little Johnnie can't read. The focus seems to be drifting away from kids and more about what the educational elite think should be taught. Ranting again!!!
Posted on: 2010/4/22 15:21

teebee Re: Thursday Chat 04.22.10
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

There is no focus/the academic wing teaches for a standardized test the students take in the spring. Next week it will be another crisis! still little Johnnie can't read. The focus seems to be drifting away from kids and more about what the educational elite think should be taught. Ranting again!!!

Ok, I'll jump in here about now, been busy this morning. I'll start off by saying that we actually interviewed a guy for my position yesterday. Really surprised me that there was someone willing to come out here....but I guess he is actually a graduate of our school here (before I came). He's not sure that he wants to leave where he is (tenure and a very secure position) to an unknown situation. I hope he takes the job as I hate to see the program die.

Now I will jump in and agree 100% with Ron on the direction that education is headed. In every education class I ever took, they were adamant about 'teaching to tests'.....never ever do it. But with the emphasis toward "Adequate yearly progress" (IE: read State Standardized testing), so everyone teaches directly to the test. Completely a 180* off what all the education classes told us. (gee, what's wrong with this picture). Bush's "No Child Left Behind" is a farce, and will make every school in the country a failure or excellent (at cheating-lying). NCLB sets standards that are eventually, absolutely, impossible to attain. And anyone who thinks otherwise is either an idiot or like an ostrich with their head buried in the sand.

Sorry, I'll turn the rant off now.

Ron, you have to make the decision that fits you. I know exactly the position you're in. Ready to get away from education, but hating to see the program close.
Posted on: 2010/4/22 15:57

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

I have interviewed two possible teachers for this position. Both Technology grads. They want 80% book work and 20% lab! Currently it 99.99% Lab total hands on and maybe 1 or 2 days a year going through basics. They both turned down the job when they saw my student population. They would need to spend 1.2 million to revamp my shop to meet the technology requirements of computer lab pods, carpet, and software.
Teebee you'll get a laugh out of this. One of the Tech guys had never seen a Powermatic stationary sander.
Posted on: 2010/4/22 16:14

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

Tech guys, what a bunch of losers when it comes to shops...

The guy they interviewed was 'old school'. I talked to the principal about it a little bit ago and he said, "Well, he's not you. Are you sure you don't want to stay on for another year or two?" My reply was a very quick "NO".
Posted on: 2010/4/22 17:39

Resized Image

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Here are the PET scan results.

Cancer was found in:

Breasts
Lungs
Lymph Node
Liver
Kidneys
Spine
'Other areas in the bone'

Grandma has decided that she will refuse both surgery and chemo therapy.

I totally understand why. She's 85 and has lived a very long and full life. It was a rough life on her and she's living in constant daily pain as a reminder and I think she's done.

She only asked that the doctor help make things comfortable as the cancer takes it's course.
Posted on: 2010/4/22 21:26

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Wow, good luck to you both, Matt.

I hope things go as she wishes.
Posted on: 2010/4/22 21:42

Matatk Re: Thursday Chat 04.22.10
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:

Sorry to hear that, DB. Best wishes for your grandma.
Posted on: 2010/4/22 22:24

BrianCunningham Re: Thursday Chat 04.22.10
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

best of luck
Posted on: 2010/4/22 23:06

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Thanks guys.
Posted on: 2010/4/23 0:53

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Best wishes to your grandmother Matt.
Posted on: 2010/4/23 1:39

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

So sorry to hear about your grandmother DB. My mother made the same decision when her time came. Said she had lived a good life and was ready.....

Well we dodged a bullet this afternoon. Had a big tornado pass by town here earlier. By big, I mean nearly a mile wide. Thank goodness it stayed just north of town leaving us here in town with a lot of heavy wind and some rain. A friend lost his fifth wheel camper and some damage to his house. That's all I've heard so far.
Posted on: 2010/4/23 1:41

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.