Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
229 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Mirrors
Side mirrors: both should move in all directions.

A little whirring from the motor is normal....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

89Vette A few pics for my friends from the "old days"
Senior Guru
135 Posts

About 2 1/2 yrs ago, I started hanging at C4Tech, trying to figure out how to cure a miss. It turned out to be a bad injector.

After removing the plenum and the injector rail, I started thinking about an intake upgrade. (Everybody berades the TPI as a 305 intake, don't you know!) Plus, I started asking some of you guys about emissions equipment and other stuff. (Central Coaster and Bogus had their opinions about that!) Because I wanted to keep my car running clean enough to pass emissions, I kinda stayed focused on the TPI stuff. It was the "Ten Times the Torque" article that helped me decide that a SR might be best. But, some forum feedback steered me away from that route.

After finally deciding on a heavily modified, siamesed SLP with big base (to create a SR-like power curve for street performance), I got to wondering about my 20-yr-old valve springs. (Someone mentioned how their 89's were low -- due to age). Even with only 55k miles, that got me thinking about refreshing my heads for the next 10yrs. Seemed like the smart thing to do considering my mileage and how I LOVE this car!

Of course that led to the need for headers. Then, I decided my oil seals weren't the best. And, what about that original clutch hydraulic system? What about the clutch for that matter? Next thing I know, I building a WHOLE DAMN MOTOR, replacing the CHS, and putting in a new clutch/DMF combo. That's after learning how to polish aluminum, port intakes, and a whole lot of other stuff.

So....Wanna see what happens after you pull apart an intake to replace a bad injector? In my case, you build this 383 stroker!

:lol:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I included this last one, taken with my camera phone under shop lights.
Photobucket

Moral of this story....Sell your car when the injectors start acting up!

Thanks for looking!

:rofl:

gp

PS...If you want, I'll post a pic or two of how I siamesed/MEGA-ported my intake.
Posted on: 2010/4/20 3:45

bogus Re: A few pics for my friends from the "old days"
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

sweet! When does it go in?

I really like the pic taken with the cell phone camera. There is an eerieness about it. Cool!
Posted on: 2010/4/20 3:54

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

89Vette Re: A few pics for my friends from the "old days"
Senior Guru
135 Posts

When it's installed depends on how much time I spend detailing engine compartment, installing CHS, permantly mounting intake, etc... Hopefully within the next 2-3 wks though.

I'm curious about the pics. When I come back to this thread, my pics show up small -- approx 2"x2" in size. In photobucket, they're about 6 times bigger.

Right after I posted, 1 of the pics was large and the others were small. Now,,,they're all small.

And...they don't enlarge when I click on them. In fact, they say image deleted!

What do you guys see? Any idea about the problem?

EDIT: When I click edit, they show up BIG! WEIRD!!!
Posted on: 2010/4/20 4:33

Matatk Re: A few pics for my friends from the "old days"
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Like I told you before, Gregg, motor looks awesome. It makes me itchy to get mine back.

As far as the pics, when you use photobucket you have to insert the pictures as the "html" version. They will scale down to a thumbnail for the thread, but if you click them they will reopen. Otherwise, if you use firefox, you can right click on the picture and hit "view image (picture?)" and it will display in a large size but by itself.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/4/20 11:55

Trae1976 Re: A few pics for my friends from the "old days"
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Wanna come cure my miss now?
Posted on: 2010/4/20 12:12

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

BTW, Gregg, what size injectors did you end up going with? What brand AFPR?
Posted on: 2010/4/20 12:20

Senior Guru
135 Posts

I'm going with 24Bosch SVO's. Probably w/o an AFPR...at least to start.

Trae1976: Are you sure you want someone who cures an injector problem by replacing the motor, working on your car? LOL!
Posted on: 2010/4/20 13:13

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

89Vette wrote:

Aren't you expecting 400+ hp? You think the 24s will be enough?
Posted on: 2010/4/20 13:15

Senior Guru
135 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

89Vette wrote:

Read this thread -- especially post #7.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-te ... eed-bigger-injectors.html
Posted on: 2010/4/20 18:07

flyboy Re: A few pics for my friends from the "old days"
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Sharp looking engine! That should be on the cover of a magazine. A well put together TPI setup is hard to beat for appearance. The SLP runners really give it a muscular look. Of course I'm heavily biased.
Myron Cottrell says in his Tpis book that "the stock 350 injector is capable of flowing enough fuel for over 450 hp."

Attach file:

jpg  P1010007.JPG (119.58 KB)
1735_4bcdfab3064e6.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2010/4/20 19:09

CentralCoaster Re: A few pics for my friends from the "old days"
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

How do you plan on setting up your PCV or breathers with those valve covers?

Nice work. I'm assuming those are the repops with perimeter bolt adapters on the heads?
Posted on: 2010/4/20 19:33

Durango_Boy Re: A few pics for my friends from the "old days"
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Gorgeous engine. I love shiny mills.

Very interesting header design. 2 into 1 and those 2 into 1.
Posted on: 2010/4/20 21:03

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

89Vette wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

89Vette wrote:

OK, so a guy has a setup running 24s with good ETs. Not to knock it, but it doesn't say that running 26 through 32s would have been better or worse for him with a tune. There was no comparison between injectors. What could he have run with a bigger size? I'm thinking I want to run a minimum of 26s and maybe bigger based on the calculators I've seen. But I don't know yet.

Matthew

PS - look at this link, too. Similar info, but more.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-te ... hip-burn-for-a-383-a.html
Posted on: 2010/4/20 22:02

Senior Guru
135 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
How do you plan on setting up your PCV or breathers with those valve covers?

Nice work. I'm assuming those are the repops with perimeter bolt adapters on the heads?

Look back at the top-view pic. There are PVC cutouts. They are on the inside (intake side) of the valve covers -- above the "C" in "Corvette".

These valve covers are HEAVY duty cast alum. You could T-bone someone running out of a bar and not bend them! LOL Because of the extra-heavy-duty casting, they don't flex upon install. They're SO rigid, the centerbolt versions only come with the outside 2 holes drilled!

AFR heads come drilled for both centerbolt and perimeter bolt valve covers. (No adapters required to use either type of valve covers.)
Posted on: 2010/4/20 22:22

Senior Guru
135 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

89Vette wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

89Vette wrote:

OK, so a guy has a setup running 24s with good ETs. Not to knock it, but it doesn't say that running 26 through 32s would have been better or worse for him with a tune. There was no comparison between injectors. What could he have run with a bigger size? I'm thinking I want to run a minimum of 26s and maybe bigger based on the calculators I've seen. But I don't know yet.

Matthew

Thanks for your advice to change to HTML vs IMG for this website. I did and pics are large size now.

As far as the injector question, you do know 24SVOs are the Ford units that flow almost 26lbs in our rails, right? Also, with a TPI motor, peak will definitely be BELOW 6k rpms. My torque will be higher than HP because of the TPI config.

I chose the 24's for this TPI setup because they come is a silver metal case that can be polished. If I swap the intake to an HSR, then I might go to 30lb injectors. More likely, I'd up pressure to 50psi. Either way, I'll put a guage on my rail to make sure where I'm at. (Plus data scans and a couple of dyno runs.)

As far as the debate of whether a 26lb vs 32lb injector is better: Alvin, Accel, and FIC have all stated (at least implied) that the use of a smaller injector should lead to better results. For one thing, a larger injector can have a harder time with idle and low rpm atomization. By contrast, the smaller injector won't. Even at higher rpms, I believe a smaller injector (driven at a higher pressure) can acheive better results than the bigger one. But, that's my interpretation of several statements I've read -- including a couple in the thread you just linked.
Posted on: 2010/4/20 22:50

Senior Guru
135 Posts

Quote:

Trae1976 wrote:

Wanna come cure my miss now?

Only if you'll cure my Mrs. !!!

Posted on: 2010/4/20 23:01

Ultraman Re: A few pics for my friends from the "old days"
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14755 Posts

Impressive....most impressive! Why can't I have valve covers like that? Those are old school which I like. Can you tell me where you got them? Thanks I am inspired.
Posted on: 2010/4/20 23:23

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Senior Guru
135 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Impressive....most impressive! Why can't I have valve covers like that? Those are old school which I like. Can you tell me where you got them? Thanks I am inspired.

Well...they're not cheap. I got them thru the manufacturer found in the following link:

http://www.yourcovers.com/valve_covers_11026.php

Notice plain cast are $220 and polished are $375. Notice also, that drilling the breather holes is another $80! With shipping, you're around $500 for them to do all the work.

To avoid half the cost, I ordered them plain. Then I drilled and expanded the holes to 1" via carbide burr, bought generic PVC grommets from O'Reilly's, sanded and polished myself.

One good thing about these covers though...They're sturdy as heck and they're between standard/high covers (meaning rockers should clear fine. Plus,,,they have a built in baffle cast inside.
Posted on: 2010/4/21 2:46

BrianCunningham Re: A few pics for my friends from the "old days"
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Love those rocker covers
Posted on: 2010/4/21 2:58

-=Jeff=- Re: A few pics for my friends from the "old days"
Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Quote:

89Vette wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

89Vette wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

89Vette wrote:

Matthew

Thanks for your advice to change to HTML vs IMG for this website. I did and pics are large size now.

As far as the injector question, you do know 24SVOs are the Ford units that flow almost 26lbs in our rails, right? Also, with a TPI motor, peak will definitely be BELOW 6k rpms. My torque will be higher than HP because of the TPI config.

I chose the 24's for this TPI setup because they come is a silver metal case that can be polished. If I swap the intake to an HSR, then I might go to 30lb injectors. More likely, I'd up pressure to 50psi. Either way, I'll put a guage on my rail to make sure where I'm at. (Plus data scans and a couple of dyno runs.)

As far as the debate of whether a 26lb vs 32lb injector is better: Alvin, Accel, and FIC have all stated (at least implied) that the use of a smaller injector should lead to better results. For one thing, a larger injector can have a harder time with idle and low rpm atomization. By contrast, the smaller injector won't. Even at higher rpms, I believe a smaller injector (driven at a higher pressure) can acheive better results than the bigger one. But, that's my interpretation of several statements I've read -- including a couple in the thread you just linked.

yes a smaller injector will help on idle as the smaller injector will be open longer then a larger injector to deliver the same amount of fuel.

That said, on my old 89 Miniram motor I was running 30# Ford Motorsport injectors. my motor was a 350, miniram, 52mm TB, CNC L98 heads, ZZ9 cam. I had the injector constant set for 36# so I could adjust my VE tables better (was running a 1991 ECM and dash) and to be honest it idled/drove quite well. I was running stock pressure too, not sure you really need to change the pressure, just tune the ECM.

Now I know the 89 runs MAF, but if you want to get into tuning, check out the DynamicEFI system, uses a stock computer and has quite alot of features, not only that but it will still run the OEM dash info..
Posted on: 2010/4/28 12:32
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

biggrizzly Re: A few pics for my friends from the "old days"
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I must of missed this when I was out of town last week.
Damn Greg that is just awesome! Great work. I bet she'll run as good as she looks if you put as much into the internals as the outside!!
Posted on: 2010/4/28 13:29

CorvetteBob Re: A few pics for my friends from the "old days"
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Those headers look suspiciously familiar. Vette Tech?
Posted on: 2010/4/28 17:40

tpi421vett Re: A few pics for my friends from the "old days"
Registered Vendor
Salt Lake City Utah
125 Posts

The engine looks awesome Greg. And you will be fine with 24lb injectors.
Posted on: 2010/4/29 4:49
450ci now with AFR 235...

Senior Guru
135 Posts

What's inside...

"638" 4-bolt 350 block Bored .030" over with a zero deck, line-honed, and balanced with my new flywheel.
AFR195 #1040 heads with 7/16" rocker studs and 155# dual springs -- angle-milled to 56cc
Scat9000 1pc RMS cast crankshaft #935050L (rated at 600hp/7200rpms)
Scat4340 forged connecting rods - 5.7"
Wiseco 20cc inverted dome 4032 forged pistons for 5.7" connecting rods (468g) ***
Bullet 216/216" .544"/.544" 111LSA 108ICL custom cam (specs shown for 1.6rr)
Comp ProMag 1.6 roller rockers
Renegade Pro (.080" wall) 1-pc push rods (7.2")
SpeedPro Bearings (.001" undersized)
Cometic .040" head gaskets
Bosch type2 24lbs SVO polished injectors
ARP head bolts and main bolts
Melling 10552 oil pump with 254S pickup
VetteTech Headers 1 3/4" primaries/2.25" secondaries (shortened 4" to gain clearance for front bullet cats)
Stock oil pan, lifters, tray, and dipstick
FelPro and Mr. Gasket oil/intake gaskets

Intake:
Edelbrock/SLP/TPI: self-polished, siamesed, and mega-ported

Photobucket

I am shooting for superram-like performance. In porting, I stopped short of making the dividers horizontal. I hoped angling the dividers up to the top/back wall would aid in flow. (Plus air still has a SR-length short path down the inside of the runners walls. I concentrated a lot on the floor of the runner mouths.)

Photobucket
Posted on: 2010/4/30 17:30

Senior Guru
135 Posts

Wanna see some pics now that the motor is installed?

I've only driven it about 100 miles. I'm getting closer to unleashing what's inside but I can already tell it's a wild torque monster!!! With barely over half throttle, it'll shoot from 20mph to 60mph in about 2 seconds. (2nd gear). 3rd gear pulls WAY harder than 2nd used to. 4th even has some serious guts. I can even cruise at 45mph in 6th! With the stock motor, I could never have gotten it to hold it's speed below 55-60mph.

FWIW: It has a sinister low-frequency rumble thru SpinMaster muffler....
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Click on Video....(before installing mufflers)
Posted on: 2010/8/23 3:18

Vetron87 Re: A few pics for my friends from the "old days"
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Do they make the Corvette signature valve covers for a stock L98?
Posted on: 2010/8/23 3:37

pianoguy Re: A few pics for my friends from the "old days"
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Man, that is stunning!
Posted on: 2010/8/23 10:35

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
135 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Do they make the Corvette signature valve covers for a stock L98?

http://www.yourcovers.com/

Notice they do have centerbolt versions of the covers. I bought the plain cast, polished, and cut out the PCV/breather ports. The manufacturer also offers that option too.

Note: These are not OEM covers. They are taller and do a better job of allowing the installation of higher ratio rockers.
Posted on: 2010/8/23 22:08

Huskerland
14755 Posts

Whoa Momma! That's the way a Vette engine is supposed to look. Was it a problem getting the wire bundles out of the way so you can run the pvc and breather hoses along the top of the valve covers?
Posted on: 2010/8/24 0:28

Senior Guru
135 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Whoa Momma! That's the way a Vette engine is supposed to look. Was it a problem getting the wire bundles out of the way so you can run the pvc and breather hoses along the top of the valve covers?

Nope. I wrapped the OEM injector harnesses with silver thermo tape to help them blend into the background. The PVC's will just barely clear what's wrapped (to go in the side-mounted valve cover holes.) But, they will go in.

No other change(s) made except the elimination of EGR and AIR - related equipement.
Posted on: 2010/8/24 1:55

Huskerland
14755 Posts

Ok good! I bought those same valve covers and was thinking it was going to be tough to get that all to fit. I will put mine on this winter when the driving is over. Your engine looks great, nice work!
Posted on: 2010/8/24 2:09

Senior Guru
135 Posts

Thanks! It was a LOT of work but very satisfying as I look at the results. When I FEEL the results, it's even better.

383's are kick-azz!
Posted on: 2010/8/24 2:32

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.