Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
329 user(s) are online (248 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  L98 Intake Bolt Sizes
This is data compiled by CentralCoaster. It lists all the bolt sizes for a stock L98 intake manifold and some of the attachments.

These are commo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Notorious My new job (I'm so pumped!)
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

It's hard to even consider it a job. Because if I were to become instantly wealthy and never had to draw another pay check, this is what I'd want to do anyway! It's like getting paid to "retire" for me.
I've always been a mechanic, for almost 35 years that's all I've done. I've worked on cars, trucks and heavy equipment for a living, and of course always old cars, fast cars and race cars as a hobby. For the last almost 16 years, I've worked in a dealership for large trucks. While the money's been good, as mechanics' wages go, needless to say the job pretty much sucks and gets worse all of the time. There's far too much bullshit to put up with that is counter-productive to just trying to do a job that's difficult enough as it is. But the bean counters at corporate seem to think keeping people under stress and pressure is the best way to increase productivity. It's been this way for the last few years since a company who owns many truck dealerships bought us out. Anyhow, screw them all, I'm waving bye-bye to all of that shit!

I'm going to work for a real hot rod shop. Not only do they share my passion for classic hot rods and other old cars, they also do performance upgrades and pretty much anything and everything, new or old, to make a car or truck just what the customer wants. I'll be overseeing the mechanical part of the operations so the owner can concentrate on major fabrication and car building, which is what he enjoys and is very good at. As well as watching over and teaching the young guys, I'll still be hands on in any critical engine work and other mechanical areas.
Current shop-owned projects:
A '67 Mustang (gasser style) with a straight axle, altered wheelbase, etc., already under way.
A couple in the planning stages:
A '55 Chevy wagon, (also gasser style) and a Model A coupe with TWO, side by side small block Chevys!
Also if you click on their website link in my sig, you'll see the Pontiac V8 powered Ford Econoline pick-up that's always an attention getter wherever it goes. It's been seen on Pinks-All Out.
Please excuse the website, it's still under construction. I've already given shit (good natured of course) to the kid that's working on it for his spelling errors. (Damn public education!)
It's likely that we'll soon be moving to a larger location, not far from the current one, and still in beautiful Valdese NC. For anyone near or coming to western NC, I'd love if you'd stop by and see us. Easy access from I-40 via exit 111. Call the shop for directions or get in touch with me in advance. You don't have to be a customer to stop in and visit. We all love shooting the bull with any and all gear-heads.
Thanks for reading this lengthy post and letting me share my passion for my new "job."
Posted on: 2008/1/13 16:03

bastet44 RE:My new job (I'm so pumped!)
Webmaster
San Pedro, CA
1389 Posts

Sounds like a sweet deal - congrats!
Posted on: 2008/1/13 19:23
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone RE:My new job (I'm so pumped!)
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I'm really happy for you. One day I will make it up that way for a visit.
Posted on: 2008/1/13 19:39

C4DERF RE:My new job (I'm so pumped!)
Senior Guru
Home of the Masters; well Grovetown is close
332 Posts

There is a place on earth called heaven.........! It is that place you enjoy being 24/7! Congratu;ations !!!!! Hope to have the chance to visit and get a 1st hand education on hot rod building.
Posted on: 2008/1/13 19:56

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s150/c4derf/CasualCorvettes-SonicAug07011.jpg[/IMG]

Notorious RE:My new job (I'm so pumped!)
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
Sounds like a sweet deal - congrats!

Thank you. I first found out about this place only a few months ago, from a website I visit that is dedicated to traditional hot rods exclusively. This shop is only 15 miles from where I live but I never knew of their existence. Anyhow, I went to check them out and possibly get some help and ideas for building the chassis on my own 1930 Model A hot rod project. The owner (who's only slightly older than my son) spent much time with me on my first visit, showing me all around the facility, sharing future plans for projects, the business and etc. In general the experience was just like hanging out with anyone with which whom you share a passion and feel a kindred spirit with. After that initial visit, I knew I was going to go to work there, somehow, someway. Well not only is the owner a super nice guy and someone whom I enjoy having for a friend under any circumstances, he's also very knowledgeable about the history of hot-rodding and the cars, the muscle car era and 50s/early 60s cars, none of which he is old enough to have grown up with. But he knows and appreciates them fully, nonetheless. Plus he's completely on top of current trends and generally just loves anything that goes fast and is cool.
Eventually things just fell into place and the matter of my being able to make a contribution to his venture was discussed. I'm too old and too poor to be able to start such an enterprise myself. But that's okay. I'm more than happy to just be a part of it and watch the dream continue to grow. If he continues to prosper, that's great and it's well deserved. If I can keep the wolves from the door while doing what I love, I'm a happy man.
Posted on: 2008/1/13 20:09

runner140 RE:My new job (I'm so pumped!)
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

Thats everyones dream, making a living from what you like to do. Congrats. :thumbleft:
Posted on: 2008/1/13 20:14

MK 82 RE:My new job (I'm so pumped!)
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Sounds like a job I would do for free. Enjoy!
Posted on: 2008/1/13 20:17

jrzvette RE:My new job (I'm so pumped!)
Guru
new jersey
73 Posts

It's often been said, "If you really enjoy your job, it isn't work". Great to hear about it.
Posted on: 2008/1/13 20:19

pianoguy RE:My new job (I'm so pumped!)
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Sounds terrific - congrats!!
Posted on: 2008/1/13 20:21

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Thanks C4DERF and Tommy. You both would always be more than welcome. And the foothills and mountains of NC are great places to visit for whatever reason. I may be biased, but if this ain't God's country and Heaven on earth, then I don't know what is.

Wow, and while I was writing this (a two finger typer at best!) thanks to the rest of you too!
Posted on: 2008/1/13 20:21

tobijohn RE:My new job (I'm so pumped!)
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:
It's often been said, "If you really enjoy your job, it isn't work"...

And if you're doing what you love, it also retards the aging process. This is especially important if you don't like green tea or living a virtuous lifestyle...
Posted on: 2008/1/13 20:31

AIRFOIL FREE!

bogus RE:My new job (I'm so pumped!)
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

dude! That's just great! I wish you the best!!!! And I hope the company can continue to grow!

I agree... the web site looks like crap. It needs a ton of love!
Posted on: 2008/1/13 20:38

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
dude! That's just great! I wish you the best!!!! And I hope the company can continue to grow!

I agree... the web site looks like crap. It needs a ton of love!

Thanks Andy. And I can't argue with that. The kid that's working on it (mid-20s) is a good kid with a lot of knowledge and passion, given his limited experience. He'll get it done and done right eventually. Like the owner, his knowledge of things before his time and his passion for such, have impressed me greatly. It's inspiring to an old bastard like myself to be among young people who are full of energy for something so dear to me. I draw from that energy and am revitalized by it.
I hope this hasn't come off as a gratuitous plug for my new employer, it's not. But if I can assist any of my friends from here or other forums that I visit, you have my pledge that you'll get my personal attention at 110%. Jason, who's the owner, was impressed by the craftsmanship on my Vette. (it's my only resume') Although he's never had a Vette yet, he loves them and wants to see more of them come into the shop. Of course I'd be more than happy to see that too.
But no matter what, this part of the world has a great car culture. From our moon-shining days to the roots of Nascar, this area is a hotbed of high performance. To be a part of that on any level is why I moved here, just over 20 years ago. I've never looked back and certainly never regretted it.
Posted on: 2008/1/13 21:15

bogus RE:My new job (I'm so pumped!)
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Nothing gratuitious about your post!

If we are ever in your part of the world, we will have to stop in and check it out!!!!

I can appreciate your feelings of being reenergized! That is so cool!!! I hope, someday, to have the same sensation. Yes, I like my current job, but I am still burning out from the IT industry... It seems to do that after a while. If you have never done it, you might not appreciate it, but it works your brain so much so hard that you just want to become a greeter at Wal-Mart!!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/13 21:56

j3studio RE:My new job (I'm so pumped!)
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Congratulations - I second the comments folks make about doing what you love.

Posted on: 2008/1/13 22:53

biggrizzly RE:My new job (I'm so pumped!)
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Congratulations!!

Man - what a great job! I really enjoy doing the kind of work I do, but have always wanted to do auto mechanics for a living. My best friend while growing up is still a GM mechanic today after 35 years. We both started out wrenching bicycles and go-carts when we were 8 years old. He went to a tech school to be a diesle mechanic and I went on to college to be a computer nerd. Sometimes I get the of my job and would love a switch!

Congratulation again and again. It is so nice to be excited about going to work on Mondays!
Posted on: 2008/1/13 23:07

CSS996 RE:My new job (I'm so pumped!)
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Wahoooo! That is incredible! I hope it is as great for you as it sounds. I'm really happy for you. I didn't check the site yet, but I will. And hopefully you can share more pix with us once you're there.

Hopefully I will find myself in a similar situation in the next couple months.

There's nothing like getting paid to do what you love!
Posted on: 2008/1/14 14:56

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
Wahoooo! That is incredible! I hope it is as great for you as it sounds. I'm really happy for you. I didn't check the site yet, but I will. And hopefully you can share more pix with us once you're there.

Hopefully I will find myself in a similar situation in the next couple months.

There's nothing like getting paid to do what you love!

There isn't much there yet anyway, just the basic info for the business so far. But there will be lots of car pictures there eventually, I'm told. They want to shoot some of my car too, to put on there. That'll give me an excuse to clean it up, it's overdue! :toothy8:
Posted on: 2008/1/14 22:10

toptechx6 RE:My new job (I'm so pumped!)
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Congratulations on your escape! I did the dealership grind for 33 years so I can share your joy. My best wishes that the job is all you hope for and more.
Posted on: 2008/1/14 22:19

truckindj RE:My new job (I'm so pumped!)
Guru Newb
3 Posts

Quote:
It's often been said, "If you really enjoy your job, it isn't work". Great to hear about it.

very true
Posted on: 2008/1/15 14:41

BrianCunningham RE:My new job (I'm so pumped!)
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Sounds like a match made in heaven.

I'm really digging my contract working on aircraft engines.
I'm hoping it goes long term.
Posted on: 2008/1/16 0:43

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
Sounds like a match made in heaven.

I'm really digging my contract working on aircraft engines.
I'm hoping it goes long term.

Some years ago when I was still in my "prime" and considered myself infallible, I found out that aircraft mechanics were making nearly twice what I was. At that point I wished that I had gone that route. Now I know better and even though I still have confidence in my work, I'd hate to be responsible for an engine keeping a plane in the air.
But seriously, although I know virtually nothing about how that segment of the mechanical business is run, I think I might have enjoyed it if precision and quality were put above all else. That's still the part of mechanics that I enjoy and always will.
Posted on: 2008/1/16 3:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.