Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
238 user(s) are online (171 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Horn
A rather boring honk, but it should be loud and clear.

It should work with key on or off....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

klkordzi Targa Repair Idea
Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

The targa top on my 85 has a single 10inch crack in that I have been toying with ideas on how to repair it. I tried using an epoxy to fill the crack but as soon as the top was stressed it re-cracked. I came across a product called Weld-on 40. It's an acrylic adhesive with 4000lb/inch strength. My idea is to use this product but also use a piece of thin sheet acrylic to lay over the crack to bridge it. I'll probably do it on the bottom so I can sand and buff out the top. Anyone with thoughts or other ideas?
Posted on: 2010/1/31 21:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Targa Repair Idea
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Looks like interesting stuff - probably can't hurt to give it a try. You'd think that if it's strong enough for an aquarium, it might hold up on a top.
Posted on: 2010/1/31 21:56

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

1Fast04Vert Re: Targa Repair Idea
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Would drilling each end of the crack help?
Posted on: 2010/1/31 22:19

BillH Re: Targa Repair Idea
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Would drilling each end of the crack help?

That's the only real to prevent the crack from becoming longer.

And, if you can't get the epoxy inside the crack, it's not going to have much strength. It's like trying to fix a fiberglass crack on the outside.
The thin sheet will definately help (more surface area).

If it was me, I'd V grind the crack a bit, apply the Weld-On and see how that worked. You can always go back and add the thin sheet.
Posted on: 2010/1/31 22:48

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Here's a vid on gluing acrylic by Tap Plastics.
I didn't watch the whole thing but I do use Tap products.

BTW, one website said Weld On was used to make invisible aquarium repairs, interesting.
Posted on: 2010/1/31 23:15

bogus Re: Targa Repair Idea
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

That top is seriously stressed when joined at the frame.

I suspect you can stop the crack, but the fix is gonna look crappy no matter what.

Melrose makes the best tops, keep that in mind as you move forward. You may also want to consider a used painted top. Much quieter inside with it.
Posted on: 2010/1/31 23:17

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

klkordzi Re: Targa Repair Idea
Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

I already drilled the end of the crack to prevent it from spreading anymore. The benefit to the weld on is that since it's used for acrylic/plexiglass, it works by capillary action so it wicks into the crack. I think putting the thin strip on the interior side of the top can be sanded and buffed. My hope is that using the strip to bridge the crack will add strength and reduce the chance of re-cracking.
Posted on: 2010/1/31 23:47

NC Kid Re: Targa Repair Idea
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Better off getting a new top. Get a hard top/fiberglass. The clear ones make the car a oversized oven in the summertime. Ask me how I know!
Posted on: 2010/2/1 0:41

Ultraman Re: Targa Repair Idea
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14759 Posts

Don't they make a nice insert for the tinted tops. My 79 had tinted t-tops and it was brutal in the summer. My 90 has the bronze top and it makes it seem a lot less confining but I have yet to go thru a summer with it.
Posted on: 2010/2/1 1:55

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
My 90 has the bronze top and it makes it seem a lot less confining but I have yet to go thru a summer with it.

I have to switchout the bronze top in April.
But. I'm a lot closer to the sun tham most of you.
Posted on: 2010/2/1 2:45

Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

At this point I have nothing to lose by trying this. The car is not a daily driver and the majority of time the top will be off. Primary use will be to keep the rain out when it's parked. Does anyone know what the top is? I know it is acrylic but is it lexan or plexiglass or something else? I'm also toying with the idea of routing out a strip along the crack into which I would glue a patch piece with the solvent. This would all be done from the inside so it would not be so visible from the outside.
Posted on: 2010/2/2 0:49

iCorvette Re: Targa Repair Idea
Senior Guru
302 Posts

i drilled a hole to stop the cracking ( small) and used silicone, looks messing but is holding up on the Los Angeles rains!!
I can feel the top flex at the cracked area, the silicone allows for this
Posted on: 2010/2/6 18:09

joshwilson3 Re: Targa Repair Idea
Guru
56 Posts

What did you end up using?

I'm gonna fill the crack with Weldon 16 and put in some thin slivers of acrylic to help fill up the crack.
Posted on: 2010/11/7 3:17

Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

I got an acrylic glue called Weld-on from the Engineerguy.com. Then sanded and polished it. I haven't driven it much to see if it will ultimately hold up. I also cat a sliver of acrylic to take up some of the space in the crack.
Posted on: 2010/11/11 20:39

Guru
56 Posts

Quote:

klkordzi wrote:
I got an acrylic glue called Weld-on from the Engineerguy.com. Then sanded and polished it. I haven't driven it much to see if it will ultimately hold up. I also cat a sliver of acrylic to take up some of the space in the crack.

What brand top is yours that cracked?

I so happened to have ordered Weld-on 16. I plan to cut some small strips of Acrylic to fill the crack. Then use a syringe to inject the Weld-on 16 into the gaps. And also do the inside as well to make sure it is water proof.

I think it is best to do a little at a time, and build it up layer by layer. As I've read the Weld-on 16 shrinks 30% and can leave air pockets when the stuff inside it evaporates.

I'll have to see what happens when the summer hits and the top gets too hot to touch. As the crack closes up when it gets that hot. Then it opens up several millimeters when it cools off at night. I also drilled a small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading.
Posted on: 2010/11/12 7:22

Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

My top was the OEM one. I did notice air bubbles in the surface of the glue when it dried. The glue I used was very thick so any syringe you use would have to be able to handle that. I also laid a strip of acrylic across the bottom side of top where the crack, hoping this would keep the crack from reforming.
Posted on: 2010/11/17 1:28

Guru
56 Posts

Quote:

klkordzi wrote:
My top was the OEM one. I did notice air bubbles in the surface of the glue when it dried. The glue I used was very thick so any syringe you use would have to be able to handle that. I also laid a strip of acrylic across the bottom side of top where the crack, hoping this would keep the crack from reforming.

I've got an acrylic piece from Home Depot. Made by Optix.

I drilled a hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading.

I'm going to glue a piece of acrylic on the bottom of the crack. Mainly to add support as the crack likes to open and close depending on the temp. And to add as an extra barrier to keep water out. After that cures, I'll brush in the Weld On in the top of the crack and put thin pieces of acrylic inside the crack to help fill up the void. Then I'll keep brushing on thin layers to help keep air bubbles from forming.

I did try to get a syringe, but I guess pharmacies aren't allowed to sell them without a prescription for it.
Posted on: 2010/11/18 0:09

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

joshwilson3 wrote:
[I did try to get a syringe, but I guess pharmacies aren't allowed to sell them without a prescription for it.

here ya go, three bucks.

Google turkey syringe.

Attach file:

jpg  4c0757c25d9f4_25646n.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/11/18 1:22

Tech Re: Targa Repair Idea
Guru Newb
25 Posts

I also have a crack and have been doing some research into acrylic repairs. Other fields deal with cracks all the time. racing, aircraft and marine. They drill the small hole at the end of the crack and then use weld on 3 or 4 to wick into the crack and repair it. Both 3 and 4 are wicking /water thin. 3 is very fast but can cause a white haze. 4 is a little slower but doesn't haze. I couldn't find 4 at my local hardware store so I ebayed it and it should be here in a few days. If all goes well I should have a near perfect repair. I don't have much to loose someone clear coated it and it is totally crazed. A couple hours of sanding and I am back to acrylic. let the buffing begin!
Tech
Posted on: 2010/11/20 7:02

Guru
56 Posts

Quote:

Tech wrote:
I also have a crack and have been doing some research into acrylic repairs. Other fields deal with cracks all the time. racing, aircraft and marine. They drill the small hole at the end of the crack and then use weld on 3 or 4 to wick into the crack and repair it. Both 3 and 4 are wicking /water thin. 3 is very fast but can cause a white haze. 4 is a little slower but doesn't haze. I couldn't find 4 at my local hardware store so I ebayed it and it should be here in a few days. If all goes well I should have a near perfect repair. I don't have much to loose someone clear coated it and it is totally crazed. A couple hours of sanding and I am back to acrylic. let the buffing begin!
Tech

Is it a hairline crack like you get in glass? Or is it split open? You want to use Weld On 16 if the crack is opened up as it can somewhat fill.

Yes, you want to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading.
Posted on: 2010/11/20 9:48

Tech Re: Targa Repair Idea
Guru Newb
25 Posts

Mine is just a hair line crack not wide enough to get a finger nail wedged into but it does leak. Warning up the panel before I bond it to minimize the gap is probably a great idea.
Tech
Posted on: 2010/11/20 22:55

Guru
56 Posts

Quote:

Tech wrote:
Mine is just a hair line crack not wide enough to get a finger nail wedged into but it does leak. Warning up the panel before I bond it to minimize the gap is probably a great idea.
Tech

That Weld On 3 or 4 should work then. Don't know if it will fill up the hole left from the drill though.
Posted on: 2010/11/20 23:35

Matatk Re: Targa Repair Idea
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Hey Tech - any update on this?

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/2/25 2:34

bogus Re: Targa Repair Idea
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Good question... I would like to know how this ended, too.
Posted on: 2011/2/25 18:06

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.