Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
238 user(s) are online (204 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  700R4
4-speed overdrive automatic transmission from 1982 to 1991....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

iCorvette Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Senior Guru
302 Posts

and why?

I noticed the toe rods have ball joints, that is just a giant one sided heim joint...no? and the other end is what?,it is covered in rubber; is it another ball joint or rubber mounted?

if it is metal, what practical purpose does it serve to replace it with a Banski type, when from the factory it has no slop or bind, I understand worn parts may trigger a buying event...but functionality I don't quite understand the improvement for this part.

of the remaining parts camber arm vs. control arms; Which, moves in an axis contrary to how the part is in it's resting position?.

rephrase.. which part is worse from the factory and would be less forgiving when the element of poly bushing is introduced to the business ends?

or contribute more to binding...

in the event I can't remedy the binding, I can opt for just one suspension component to alleviate some but not all of the problems without going flat broke..

thanks for comments, Cf is of absolute no use, they just hold hands and skip along a merry gay path sing Kumbaya.. such a poor visual for middle aged men with Vettes.
Posted on: 2010/12/11 17:02

bogus Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I would rank them, in order of suckage:

1. Lower control arm. #1 with a bullit; by a mile.
2. Trailing arms.
3. Tie rods.
Posted on: 2010/12/11 18:40

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

iCorvette Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Senior Guru
302 Posts

so you say the camber rod is the worse, they use different names for everything...thanks
Posted on: 2010/12/11 20:13

bogus Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Whatever the part is! The lower control/camber arm. It's the one that runs at the bottom.
Posted on: 2010/12/11 20:33

tjpreul Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

I had ordered the trailing arms first, because the stock ones are non ajustable. However when I looked at how the stock suspension was set up, I ordered the camber arm within a week of the trailing arms. Getting rid of the cam bolt was great. The guy that aligned it said it was a very nice setup, and exact. There was the cost factor, but that only lasted until I drove the car after everything was installed.

I would almost have to say the trialing arms and camber arms are equal. If you replace one you are only helping half of the problem. With the toe arm, it does allow the rear to move with joints on both sides. However you have to buy the whole assembly when the inner ball joint need replacing.
Posted on: 2010/12/11 21:56

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

vetteoz Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Senior Guru
453 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I would rank them, in order of suckage:

1. Lower control arm. #1 with a bullit; by a mile.
2. Trailing arms.
3. Tie rods.

Pure physics
The lower control arm /chamber arm bushes are designed to move in a vertical plane while the outer end of the arm is moving in a arc as the spindle moves through it's travel = binding

Ditto the trailing arms
Pull the dog bones out of any hi mileage C4 and see how flogged out the stock rear bushes are due to the side loading they get as the spindle moves up and down in a arc
I have pulled some where there is almost no bush left on the inside of the dog bone; it is all mushroomed out and the steel liner is skewed to one side
Posted on: 2010/12/11 23:51

iCorvette Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Senior Guru
302 Posts

Right, the rubber is the cushion, not isolated to only Vettes, all oem cars I theorize.

the rubber does deform over time and I believe the car sits lower because of it.

My car sits higher and my driving it has worked out the kinks, but still sittin high, I now like the driving and riding sensation.

I feel the polys provide a slicker, truer action, whereas, the rubber is purely contorting itself withing the housings.

It's no heim joint, but somewhat similar albeit inferior action, the tense sensation is the dissimilar compliance from the rubber ( durometer?), in which I can live with, now that the suspension has worked itself out;

so to dissect the feeling, firm but with more ball bearing feeling, if that makes any sense, I am going to forgo any heim joint camber rods, as i think I have accomplished my "street" goals.

my flipping the steering wheel left to right at moderate speeds has always induces the pendulum unloading in the rear oscillating if you will like a motorcycle getting the wobbles, or tanks slappers as they call it.

I believe this annoyance, is the result worn FX3 shocks, i ordered Tokico Blues last night hope it helps to complete my street suspension.
Posted on: 2010/12/12 0:28

vetteoz Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Senior Guru
453 Posts

Quote:

iCorvette wrote:
the rubber does deform over time

But if pushed the polys won't come back like the rubber.
I killed a brand new set of lower arm polys in one day at the strip ( 25 runs @1.7X )
When installing them, the steel inner liner was a stiff hand push in, after the day at the track the liner fell out when I took the arms off
You could see the inner hole in bush was deformed
Posted on: 2010/12/12 1:52

Senior Guru
302 Posts

so this means in a short time the polys will degrade faster than rubber, meaning rubber will last 50 times longer?

why did you take it apart?

are you saying no one that was successful on the strip uses polys because they break?
Posted on: 2010/12/12 2:14

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

that's called side loading... and the bushing, being so hard, would eat away, not flex through it.

I still think that the camber arm is first, followed by the trailing links.
Posted on: 2010/12/12 4:25

CentralCoaster Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I just did the dogbones and camber arms (lower piece).

I didn't bother with the toe/strut rods, I think the factory setup there is fine.

As far as rubber vs poly vs rod ends... I think the binding completely covers up any benefit you'd get from an otherwise flexible bushing. With rod ends, you can easily move the suspension by hand. Not so with poly. So the poly is going to transmit all those minor road imperfections to the car because the suspension takes a little coaxing before it starts to articulate.
Posted on: 2010/12/12 9:43

astock165 Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Let me try to add a little development history to the conversation in hopes that it will help.

I agree with statement that the trailing arms and camber rods are almost equal. If a customer asks for a recommendation on just one kit I usually say the order is (4) trailing arms then (2) camber rods then the (2) toe rods. However, I've found that if a customer orders just the trailing arms, they're usually returning in a short time (within a couple of weeks) to get the camber rods as well.

Originally I hadn't planned on doing the toe rods because they are indeed ball joints on both ends in the OE setup. However, I had a number of customers ask about the toe rods so I began working on them.

As I got into it I realized that there were some advantages. They may have been more geared for track use but that's the arena I'm in as my car is trailered for track use only. The first thing was that I was able to eliminate another set of grease fittings. I might be in the minority but I HATE grease fittings so I liked getting rid of them. Another, that I have not done it myself but have looked into, is bump steer in the rear. Theoretically you can adjust the bump steer slightly by spacing the hiem joint on the stud that bolts to the suspension knuckle, which isn't possible with the OE unit.

A couple of convenience things I found as well: using the same kind of components as are used in the camber rod kit setting toe is very easy and quick. I end up doing a lot of alignments on my car and each time I do an alignment I also set the thrust angle. The ease of use of the toe rod kit makes this process a bit simpler and saves time. Again, this may be something more geared towards track dogs but I think it is an advantage.

Lastly, although it's an initial investment, you can more easily replace only the damaged components in our aftermarket toe rod kit. I believe the OE toe rods are an assembly that has to be replaced in its entirety if damaged or bent, less of course the outer tie rod ends. I like this because in the event of an impact the likely part to fail will be the long aluminum turnbuckle of the toe rod, which also happens to be a relatively inexpensive component and only the damaged side needs to be replaced. If the rod ends wear, they can be replaced (inners or outers), again, relatively inexpensively.

Hope this helps. I'll check back to see if there's any other questions or feel free to drop me a line.
Posted on: 2010/12/12 14:50
www.banskimotorsports.com

BillH Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

astock165 wrote:
Another, that I have not done it myself but have looked into, is bump steer in the rear. Theoretically you can adjust the bump steer slightly by spacing the hiem joint on the stud that bolts to the suspension knuckle, which isn't possible with the OE unit.

Yep. I haven't done it on a C4 but that's how I do it on the front end af a lot of racecars. The rear adjustment depends on the suspension type, spacing the heim on C4 type, changing the length of the radius rods on open wheel suspension.

I used to build bumpsteer gauges and sell them at the track.
Posted on: 2010/12/12 15:18

flyboy Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

...and no one makes replacement rubber suspension bushings?
Posted on: 2010/12/12 15:20

astock165 Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:

Rubber, I don't think so. I believe everything aftermarket will be poly.
Posted on: 2010/12/12 15:24

Steve40th Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

astock165 wrote:
Quote:

flyboy wrote:

Rubber, I don't think so. I believe everything aftermarket will be poly.

One company makes Delalum (Delrin with aluminum). I believe its just for the front Control Arms though (Global West ?)
For pure driving and for the suspension to work as designed, Banski stuff is the way to go. With all the binding etc in the rear-end of our cars, Hiem joints are the answer, IMHO.
Posted on: 2010/12/12 15:28

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The only way you can get rubber is to buy a new aluminum OEM arm.
Posted on: 2010/12/12 19:33

Senior Guru
302 Posts

Quote:

astock165 wrote:
Let me try to add a little development history to the conversation in hopes that it will help.

I agree with statement that the trailing arms and camber rods are almost equal. If a customer asks for a recommendation on just one kit I usually say the order is (4) trailing arms then (2) camber rods then the (2) toe rods. However, I've found that if a customer orders just the trailing arms, they're usually returning in a short time (within a couple of weeks) to get the camber rods as well.

Originally I hadn't planned on doing the toe rods because they are indeed ball joints on both ends in the OE setup. However, I had a number of customers ask about the toe rods so I began working on them.

As I got into it I realized that there were some advantages. They may have been more geared for track use but that's the arena I'm in as my car is trailered for track use only. The first thing was that I was able to eliminate another set of grease fittings. I might be in the minority but I HATE grease fittings so I liked getting rid of them. Another, that I have not done it myself but have looked into, is bump steer in the rear. Theoretically you can adjust the bump steer slightly by spacing the hiem joint on the stud that bolts to the suspension knuckle, which isn't possible with the OE unit.

A couple of convenience things I found as well: using the same kind of components as are used in the camber rod kit setting toe is very easy and quick. I end up doing a lot of alignments on my car and each time I do an alignment I also set the thrust angle. The ease of use of the toe rod kit makes this process a bit simpler and saves time. Again, this may be something more geared towards track dogs but I think it is an advantage.

Lastly, although it's an initial investment, you can more easily replace only the damaged components in our aftermarket toe rod kit. I believe the OE toe rods are an assembly that has to be replaced in its entirety if damaged or bent, less of course the outer tie rod ends. I like this because in the event of an impact the likely part to fail will be the long aluminum turnbuckle of the toe rod, which also happens to be a relatively inexpensive component and only the damaged side needs to be replaced. If the rod ends wear, they can be replaced (inners or outers), again, relatively inexpensively.

Hope this helps. I'll check back to see if there's any other questions or feel free to drop me a line.

as a curiosity,will your parts raise the car back to it's stock height?
Posted on: 2010/12/12 23:58

CentralCoaster Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

My car dropped a bit with the Banski kit vs polys. I have to assume that's because it's not binding anywhere, only the spring is holding it up. The kit does not control ride height, only your spring bolt length, spring, and binding bushings can effect ride height.

Anyhow here's my list for 84-87 vettes at least:

1. Front sway bar end links
2. Rear camber rods
3. Rear trailing arms

I don't have an issue with the factory design of the other parts, although as Tom mentioned there are other benefits to upgrading them.
Posted on: 2010/12/13 3:46

Senior Guru
302 Posts

why just 84-87? was there an improvement after?

I figure when the car was new the center of the bushings was actual, and over time the weight of the car would stretch the rubber, sagging the car, hence some of the stories about driver side sag, I don't know...

so when my polys went in, the true center-line of arm was re-established throughout, subsequently returning the car to original static geometry. I don't believe/feel there is binding...if it were the suspension would not move and if it did it would stay at were it moved to.

i am sure there is some of it going on, but with the weight of the car, it can over come it and center itself while going through it's paces on day in and day out driving. wrong?

I install a vbp 32mm solid front bar and the drivers link dislodge from the bar, I have seen picks of another car doing the same thing, what is going on here?.

remember when they were just a long stud with 4 bushings? no binding...

what is a cheap fix, I don't notice any ill manners from my "broken link" been 2 years, tried puting it back twice, popped right back out....
Posted on: 2010/12/13 4:13

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yes the car is heavy, but it's sitting on springs. See how little force it takes to lift the car up a little with your hands. So a bushing setup with the same amount of force can do the same.

The "center" is where the spring wants to hold the car. But the bushings become springs when they are forced to pivot on an axis perpendicular to the sleeve. This happens at normal ride height.

We're sort of overthinking it, but to each his own.

Try this, get your rear end bolted up without the tire, spring, shocks, or sway bar link.

Then try articulating the rear knuckle by hand.
Posted on: 2010/12/13 4:46

Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

iCorvette wrote:
as a curiosity,will your parts raise the car back to it's stock height?

No, only the springs will adjust ride height.
Posted on: 2010/12/13 18:27

klkordzi Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

If you think your car is sitting high after you replaced the bushings with Poly and removed and reinstalled the sway bars, check to make sure you didn't install the rear sway bar upside down. Doing this will load the rear and cause it to hang up and not settle.
Posted on: 2010/12/15 20:12

1Fast04Vert Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Ask them if they have one that attaches with velcro.
Posted on: 2010/12/15 20:29

MK 82 Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Tom,
Posted on: 2011/7/27 23:08

MK 82 Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Tom,
Any sales coming up on your products. I have the cart loaded but $972.62 for Camber, Trailing, and Toe gives me heartburn. Maybe free shipping?

1 Trailing Arm Kit $360.00
1 Toe Rod Kit $360.00
1 Camber Rod Kit $220.00

Subtotal $940.00
Shipping $37.62
Order Total $977.62

Eddie
Posted on: 2011/7/27 23:08

istter1 Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Posted on: 2011/7/27 23:34

Steve40th Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Isnt that a steel sleeve around the rubber?
Is the steel damaged?
Posted on: 2011/7/27 23:36

BillH Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

istter1 wrote:
Did you try Zip corvette. I found many rubber products there. They had rubber 84-94 Front sway bar upper link bushings. I just installed then. They had many other parts you described listed. To the best of my recelation. I bought the Prothane front sway bar bushing set. I decided to stay with the rubber. See the damage to the bushing in the picture.
Can't hurt to look there
Steve

Zip-corvette.com

might be wrong. It is Zip

Totally different deal, Steve. Banski is tubelar steel componets with rod ends.

Click the Banski link on the left to see them.
Posted on: 2011/7/27 23:49

istter1 Re: Name in order the inferiority of factory suspension components vs. Banski type parts
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Posted on: 2011/7/27 23:53

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

You mean I did it again Lol.

Thanks for the kind corection

Steve
Posted on: 2011/7/27 23:59

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

this might help...

This is the compressed version... I took out all the ads and shrunk it down. Better for posting and email.

Attach file:

pdf CE Banski Article Compressed.pdf Size: 493.24 KB; Hits: 263
Posted on: 2011/7/28 5:56

Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:
Any sales coming up on your products.

Unfortunately no. We're struggling to keep prices where they are.
Posted on: 2011/7/28 20:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.