Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
281 user(s) are online (249 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Aluminum Powerglide
Automatic Transmission - 2 Speed

1st Gear: 1.76/1.82
2nd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1962 thru 1972.
- 14 Bolt Pan.
- Vac...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

damien89 Newbie with a fuel pump question.
Guru
53 Posts

First of all hi to everybody.
I used to hang on the corvetteforum but since i found this forum i started preferring this one.

Yesterday i went to start my dad's 89 to put it in the garage when all of a sudden it just died. Then i tried to start it again and i could hear the fuel pump making a whirring noise as if it wasn't picking up fuel.
I went and bought 10 lit of fuel because i thought maybe it had run dry but it stayed the same (no start).

The car cranks but doesn't start. Tomorrow my mechanic is coming to see if it has pressure in the fuel rail.

If their isn't pressure in the rail it most probably is a bad pump right?

Could it be something else?

If it is the pump should i buy an acdelco one or is their something more reliable?

I am from Malta Europe so internet ordering is preffered if i had to order from someone other than ecklers or midamerica.

Thanks everybody.
Posted on: 2011/1/9 18:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Newbie with a fuel pump question.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Malta! Welcome!

It does sound like the fuel pump. It could also be the fuel pump sock filter.

At the bottom of the pump is a white (well, when they are new) filter sock. It is about 8cm x 2cm and attaches to the bottom of the fuel pump. If that falls off, it can make picking up fuel harder, or, if it clogs.

Also, the main fuel filter, which is on the right front frame rail (by the exhaust!).

Since you are far out in the middle of no where, I would order a new fuel pump, new sock and new fuel filter.

The new filter is easy, if the pump decided to spew garbage up the fuel line, it would be clogged... and depending on when the car last was run, the fuel line might be clogged.

That would be easy to fix with an air compressor! Just remove the fuel delivery from the tank and disconnect it at the fuel filter and blow! If there is a clog, that might free it.

Also, when you replace the pump, get a good one. I have been researching them lately, because the replacement ones are just not that good. I will have to dig up the names I was looking at. I will get that info later today.
Posted on: 2011/1/9 19:20

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

damien89 Re: Newbie with a fuel pump question.
Guru
53 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Malta! Welcome!

It does sound like the fuel pump. It could also be the fuel pump sock filter.

At the bottom of the pump is a white (well, when they are new) filter sock. It is about 8cm x 2cm and attaches to the bottom of the fuel pump. If that falls off, it can make picking up fuel harder, or, if it clogs.

Also, the main fuel filter, which is on the right front frame rail (by the exhaust!).

Since you are far out in the middle of no where, I would order a new fuel pump, new sock and new fuel filter.

The new filter is easy, if the pump decided to spew garbage up the fuel line, it would be clogged... and depending on when the car last was run, the fuel line might be clogged.

That would be easy to fix with an air compressor! Just remove the fuel delivery from the tank and disconnect it at the fuel filter and blow! If there is a clog, that might free it.

Also, when you replace the pump, get a good one. I have been researching them lately, because the replacement ones are just not that good. I will have to dig up the names I was looking at. I will get that info later today.

Thanks!
Posted on: 2011/1/9 19:25

Ultraman Re: Newbie with a fuel pump question.
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

Hi welcome to the site. Hope you can hang out with us. There is a lot of things it can be as Andy is saying. If it is the fuel pump a good one I think is a Walbro 255 pump. They may be a bit more money but I think the quality is there.

A company called Specter Werkes makes a kit for the C4 that provides a new sock and gaskets and screws and such. You could check that out at www.spectergtr.com Thanks for signing up lots of knowledge about Corvettes here and some fun too.
Posted on: 2011/1/9 19:39

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Guru
53 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Hi welcome to the site. Hope you can hang out with us. There is a lot of things it can be as Andy is saying. If it is the fuel pump a good one I think is a Walbro 255 pump. They may be a bit more money but I think the quality is there.

A company called Specter Werkes makes a kit for the C4 that provides a new sock and gaskets and screws and such. You could check that out at www.spectergtr.com Thanks for signing up lots of knowledge about Corvettes here and some fun too.

I searched their site and lokks like they haven't got a pump for the 89 vette, they have for the 84-85 and 90-96 models and ZR1.

Thanks anyway.
Posted on: 2011/1/9 20:02

Huskerland
14746 Posts

Quote:

damien89 wrote:
Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

I searched their site and lokks like they haven't got a pump for the 89 vette, they have for the 84-85 and 90-96 models and ZR1.

Thanks anyway.

I had to dig a bit for it but it is on there. It's a Racetronix GSS340M fuel pump. Part # RXC569-FPA-B Enter fuel pump 1989 corvette in their search function and it will come up.
Posted on: 2011/1/9 20:18

Guru
53 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Quote:

damien89 wrote:
Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

Thanks anyway.

I had to dig a bit for it but it is on there. It's a Racetronix GSS340M fuel pump. Part # RXC569-FPA-B Enter fuel pump 1989 corvette in their search function and it will come up.

Thanks i found it. Would the extra pressure from the pump harm anything since my dad's vette is bone stock?
Will it run normal?
Posted on: 2011/1/9 20:48

Huskerland
14746 Posts

I'm sure that the pump will work on a stock engine since there is a fuel pressure regulator that sets the fuel pressure going into the intake. That is what regulates the pressure not just the pump. If I recall those pumps will handle a lot more horsepower and fuel needs but will work well on the stock engine also.

I am not an expert like some of the guys are, but I think a little extra fuel pressure wouldn't hurt much anyway. Someone else will chip in soon with some confermation of that if I am right.
Posted on: 2011/1/9 21:14

bogus Re: Newbie with a fuel pump question.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

It's not so much pressure, it's volume. And the bigger pump can push more volume.

In general, tho, you are right. The AFPR will keep all even.
Posted on: 2011/1/9 21:55

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: Newbie with a fuel pump question.
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Welcome to the site. The first test you have to do, as mentioned, is check for fuel pressure at the rail. Then you can look for the cause of the problem.

If it is the fuel pump, I recommend either AC Delco or as mentioned a walbro fuel pump is very good. You do not need a 255 lph pump. I have the walbro 190 lph to feed my 383 stroker and it works just fine. I purchased mine from racetronix with the install kit and it was great.

http://www.racetronix.biz/customkititems.asp?kc=FPA-011&eq=

or just type in fpa-011 in their search box.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/1/10 0:03

Guru
53 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I will post back when i will have found the fault.
Posted on: 2011/1/10 9:21

JeffK Re: Newbie with a fuel pump question.
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

I got the kit from Racetronix when my pump went. It was a great package.

I agree with Andy, get a new pump and filter.

Had the car presented any other problems previously?
Posted on: 2011/1/10 12:17

SpectatorRacing Re: Newbie with a fuel pump question.
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Racetronix uses Walbro pumps. At least they used to, it's been a couple of years since I talked with them.

You can easily verify if it's your pump or your fuel pressure regulator. Attach a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail (sounds like you already planned this). You should have around 43 psi. If you don't, it could be the pump or the regulator.

Clamp off the fuel return line for a second. If the pressure spikes, then the pump is fine. If it is low, it's probably the pump.

And you don't need a 255 lph pump. Everyone on the other forum loves to tell you it's a performance upgrade, but there's no advantage on a stock car. I personally use a fuel pump from a 90's Chevy pickup truck. Cheaper and higher flow...
Posted on: 2011/1/10 15:25

CentralCoaster Re: Newbie with a fuel pump question.
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Sounds about right. At WOT throttle, my stock engine uses about 100 lph. The rest goes right back to the tank.
Posted on: 2011/1/10 15:46

Guru
53 Posts

Quote:

JeffK wrote:
I got the kit from Racetronix when my pump went. It was a great package.

I agree with Andy, get a new pump and filter.

Had the car presented any other problems previously?

None that i know about.

What i was also going to do before my mechanic comes with his gauge was to disconnect the line going in the fuel filter and turn the key on, when the pump tries to prime the system I'll see if fuel comes out. What do you all think about that?

If fuel doesn't come out then most probably is the pump right?
Posted on: 2011/1/10 19:06

SpectatorRacing Re: Newbie with a fuel pump question.
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

damien89 wrote:

What i was also going to do before my mechanic comes with his gauge was to disconnect the line going in the fuel filter and turn the key on, when the pump tries to prime the system I'll see if fuel comes out. What do you all think about that?

You'll probably just make a mess. The pump could be too weak to start the car, but still strong enough to push gas through the line. If nothing comes out, sure, but I'd wager that some gas will flow.
Posted on: 2011/1/10 23:07

hdfire Re: Newbie with a fuel pump question.
Guru Newb
Crest Hill, IL
48 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Welcome to the site. The first test you have to do, as mentioned, is check for fuel pressure at the rail. Then you can look for the cause of the problem.

If it is the fuel pump, I recommend either AC Delco or as mentioned a walbro fuel pump is very good. You do not need a 255 lph pump. I have the walbro 190 lph to feed my 383 stroker and it works just fine. I purchased mine from racetronix with the install kit and it was great.

Matthew

Just ordered my new pump kit from racetronix. I'm sure this is my problem too Matthew!
Thanks for the link.
Posted on: 2011/1/11 2:01

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

hdfire wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Matthew

Just ordered my new pump kit from racetronix. I'm sure this is my problem too Matthew!
Thanks for the link.

I did a write up on changing the fuel pump in the tech library. If you need help let me know.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/1/11 3:02

Guru
53 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Quote:

damien89 wrote:

You'll probably just make a mess. The pump could be too weak to start the car, but still strong enough to push gas through the line. If nothing comes out, sure, but I'd wager that some gas will flow.

Thanks for the tip that the pump would still push a bit of gas.
Posted on: 2011/1/12 17:48

Guru
53 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

hdfire wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Matthew

Thanks for the link.

I did a write up on changing the fuel pump in the tech library. If you need help let me know.

Matthew

Yeah i read your write up about changing the pump. Thanks for taking the time to creating it and thanks for all the others who have helped till now.

Damien
Posted on: 2011/1/12 17:51

92LRC Re: Newbie with a fuel pump question.
Guru Newb
Weston, FL
88 Posts

Hey guys, I don't want to hijack the thread but I think I've got a problem along these same lines.

Las few times I've had the car out it stalls when I go around a corner too hard. It just dies quietly and I can get it to turn over again but it will only run for a second. It kind of sputters and almost seems like it's struggling to get fuel. I started thinking it might be the fuel pump or the strainer sock.

When I run the car easy (no sharp turns) it runs fine, no stalls. But lets face it this car was made to take sharp turns so......

Any input is appreciated. Thanks
Posted on: 2011/1/18 0:25

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

92LRC wrote:
Hey guys, I don't want to hijack the thread but I think I've got a problem along these same lines.

Las few times I've had the car out it stalls when I go around a corner too hard. It just dies quietly and I can get it to turn over again but it will only run for a second. It kind of sputters and almost seems like it's struggling to get fuel. I started thinking it might be the fuel pump or the strainer sock.

When I run the car easy (no sharp turns) it runs fine, no stalls. But lets face it this car was made to take sharp turns so......

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

I recommend you start a new thread.
Posted on: 2011/1/18 2:22

JeffK Re: Newbie with a fuel pump question.
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

I think Racetronix is having another Sale on that other forum for anyone who hasn't gotten theirs yet.
Posted on: 2011/1/18 13:26

Guru
53 Posts

Today our mechanic came with the fuel pressure gauge to check the pump.

The gauge showed 10 psi when i turned the key to prime the system.
Gonna order a pump from rock-auto because i had purchased from them before and they are a forum vendor.
Posted on: 2011/1/22 17:29

Guru
53 Posts

Just a small update, yesterday i managed to change the fuel pump on the vette. Would like to say thanks to anyone who helped in this thread.
I would like to thank Matatk for his fuel pump removal write up, it helped me alot. The only problem i had was removing the fuel feed line. It took me almost an hour to get the pipe off.

Thanks again to everyone!!
Posted on: 2011/2/14 9:29

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Glad you got it changed and we could help!

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/2/14 12:27

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.