Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
312 user(s) are online (256 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  L98
The GM designation for the 5.7 liter, (350 cubic inch), TPI motor. This motor was used in other GM vehicles, but was used in the Corvette from 1985 t...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Wednesday Chat 01.26.11
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Had a cold front rumble through around midnight. Fell asleep counting raindrops. LOL. Dog had me up at 06:30 to go out. Nothing like having a furry alarm clock. When I first retired from my main job, I used to stay up till 02:00 till I found out the birds and dogs don't give a shit what time I go to bed. They just know when I'm getting up. They make sure of it. I started going to bed a little earlier,usually between 11 and 12:00.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 12:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Wednesday Chat 01.26.11
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Good Morning people .........

Posted on: 2011/1/26 12:21

Ultraman Re: Wednesday Chat 01.26.11
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

Good morning! Took yesterday off and drove to Kansas to take my Mom out for lunch. It was her 88th birthday and I took our Yorkshire terrier along since she has always loved dogs but can't have one of her own. We had a great day and I took her some flowers. She is doing well sharp as ever and always looking forward to some event. Old school republican she was eager to hear what the President had to say in the State of the Union address.

On my way back I stopped off at an old abandoned farm house that I had been at 20 years ago that has some corvettes under wraps and to my suprise...... You can read my post on that later today, very interesting story.

Now I have to make up the work I missed yesterday but it was worth it. Let's roll Guru's, we're burning daylight!
Posted on: 2011/1/26 12:28

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Ultraman Re: Wednesday Chat 01.26.11
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

Thought this might get the armed service guys going.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 12:33

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Matatk Re: Wednesday Chat 01.26.11
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Last night my neighbor stopped by for a bit and we chatted while the kids ran around. He asked me about working on his galant that has been having running problems. I told him a year ago it needed an EGR valve, but now he said it's having more problems. I scanned it and it show a random cylinder misfire. Has 152,000 miles on it! I told him we need to start with the basics, spark plugs and wires, since he doesn't know if they've ever been changed. He said he had a tune up at 60,000 miles and had some hoses and maybe the plugs changed, but he's not sure. I'm hoping it's simple like that and not the coils, which get pricey, or the timing belt which is a long job. But luckily it's just that misfire code, so I think it's basic.

Had a hard time falling asleep last night. Alarm clock was not welcome this morning....

Looking forward to hearing Marcus' vette story later.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/1/26 12:37

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Reveille.
It will take more than that to get me going. A couple of cups of Joe and my morning meds will help. How the hell did I get up, make my bed, wash up, get dressed and lined up in formation in 10 minutes. I've been up an hour and 20 and still haven't hit the shower. Thanks for the flashback Marcus.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 12:49

biggrizzly Re: Wednesday Chat 01.26.11
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Vette Stories Please!

Woke up to freezing rain and snow coming through the area later this afternoon. I called the boss and told him I was going to work here today. Now I just need to get my head out of autocross thoughts and back into work thoughts.

I am crazed, I'm obsessed. I can't stop thinking about autocross on warm summer days... What shocks? What mods? How to drive? How fast? what tires? Seats? belts? the more I think, the more questions... the more questions the more obsessed.

I worked on a friends car a couple years ago and turned out good, but it also could end up bad if it gets deep. Just don't get over your head in someone else's problem.

Have a good morning dudes!
Posted on: 2011/1/26 12:52

Vetron87 Re: Wednesday Chat 01.26.11
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Good Morning Gurus. English assessment testing going on across the hall. Once the weld shop is now a Large Group Instruction Room. 82 students will determine if we get taken over by the state, At 79% minority and 88% poverty our school is under the gun. Most of our minority students have english as their second language. Anyway we have to keep the shop quiet today, no noise, no wood smell just peaceful.
No snow today, cloudy, high near 28.
I have a root canal after school today! I hope they shot me up enough stuff so I slobbbbber in a cup for a week.
Well its time for the Robots to come out and terrorized something.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 13:13

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Vette Stories Please!

Woke up to freezing rain and snow coming through the area later this afternoon. I called the boss and told him I was going to work here today. Now I just need to get my head out of autocross thoughts and back into work thoughts.

I am crazed, I'm obsessed. I can't stop thinking about autocross on warm summer days... What shocks? What mods? How to drive? How fast? what tires? Seats? belts? the more I think, the more questions... the more questions the more obsessed.

I worked on a friends car a couple years ago and turned out good, but it also could end up bad if it gets deep. Just don't get over your head in someone else's problem.

Have a good morning dudes!

I'm doing the same thing about my brothers 928. I have to fly up in the Spring and check it out. I'm thinking, What if the tires are flat, I'll have to drag it out of the garage. How am I going to load it on the transport? How much will the transport set me back? Ok, I'll need tires , a battery, drop the fuel tank, inspect the fuel lines, replace the gas filter, find out if the fuel pump is trashed, drain and change the oil and filter, lubricate the top end, try to get her to fire, figure out the transmission issues. Hhhmmmm, can I drop a small block Chevy or Ford drive train in it? and it goes on and on and on and on .................. Then there's the detailing. OMG
Posted on: 2011/1/26 13:19

pianoguy Re: Wednesday Chat 01.26.11
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Greetings! Sounds like a terrific day with your mom, Marcus - made me smile. I'm looking forward to the barn story, too.

Gonna get up near freezing here today, practically tropical. I did something unusual last night - I took a walk on the treadmill. I thought it was just there to store my dust collection on.

Have a good Hump Day, all!
Posted on: 2011/1/26 13:20

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Epimax Re: Wednesday Chat 01.26.11
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Good Morning!

Halfway through my last week at work here in MO. Everything is on schedule with the moving company--Temps are rising--snow is melting--all is good!

Did have a scare on the way in this am-- Deer jumped out right in front of me---Nothing I could do but hang on...very narrow road with BIG drop-offs on both sides....Somehow, I missed him, but it was way too close for comfort!

Looks like I might be able to get out before another snow event! That makes me very happy!!

Good day all!!
Posted on: 2011/1/26 13:23

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

As many of us are getting older I was thinking of expanding into a business venture that would be beneficial to many of us in the not to distant future. Consider this product if you will. With a few slight modifications such as a rest bar or elevated seat this may well be the way to get around. I think Vetron already has one with the lawn attachment option.

Attach file:

jpg  CG Hoveround.jpg (809.84 KB)
852_4d4029f199573.jpg 2048X1536 px
Posted on: 2011/1/26 14:04

BillH Re: Wednesday Chat 01.26.11
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
I'm doing the same thing about my brothers 928. I have to fly up in the Spring and check it out. I'm thinking, What if the tires are flat, I'll have to drag it out of the garage. How am I going to load it on the transport?

12v air compressor, takes a long time to pump a flat but will do it, nice for the autox too, about $15.

If you don't already have one.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 14:43

flyboy Re: Wednesday Chat 01.26.11
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Good Morning people .........

Thanks for the flashback, better than a shot of Geritol.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 14:43

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Sucks that you guys are thinkin' about auto-x and I'm tthinkin' about kitchen cabinets.

Today is Ka-boom day, I'm firing up the new gas range for the first time, the one that I changed 8 fittings/gas jets on.

I also get to take down my new garage cabinets.
New kitcnen cabinets will be here tomorrow. Yea.

I got a butt load of work to do now.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 14:48

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
I'm doing the same thing about my brothers 928. I have to fly up in the Spring and check it out. I'm thinking, What if the tires are flat, I'll have to drag it out of the garage. How am I going to load it on the transport?

12v air compressor, takes a long time to pump a flat but will do it, nice for the autox too, about $15.

If you don't already have one.

I have a portable compressor at home. I'm not gonna fly it up. I was thinking of buying one up there and throwing it in the car when I'm done airing it up along with any other stuff I'd have to buy up there to get it transportable. I'm targeting end of March or early April. I'm gonna call the guy who brought down my 87 Porsche from St Louis and see if he'll meet me outside of Boston for the pick up. If not, I'll have to find a reasonbable transport company. Driving up and towing back is just not practicle. Time, fuel, lodging, etc make flying up, renting a car and staying up there a few days in a motel the best way to go. Plus I get to run around and visit a few people and and stomp around my old turf.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 14:54

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Plus I get to run around and visit a few people and and stomp around my old turf.

Just watch out for the Hoya.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 14:59

teebee Re: Wednesday Chat 01.26.11
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12368 Posts

Morning guys.....man it's busy here already. Marcus, that was a great thing you did with your mom....I'm jealous, my mom and dad passed 4 and 6 years ago..I miss them. Cherish the time.

It's hump day and the kids are doing better. The weather is getting better each day this week looking for upper 40's today and upper 50's tomorrow and into the 60's Friday, then starting a big cool down...20's by Monday.

Tommy, that sounds like a plan. Maybe you'll wake up by then Bill, make sure you duck when you "fire" that baby up for the first time. About time that the cabinets are showing up.... David, sounds like you dodged a bullet there. I hate freaking deer. Don, how soon will you be getting the engine and trans back? I bet you are getting a bit anxious...I would be. Joe, that one did take me back too. Hoya, Hoya, Hoya
Posted on: 2011/1/26 16:25

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Yesterday afternoon I was putzen around the kitchen so I threw together a batch of brownie cookies. It's half brownie batter and half cookie dough. It comes out like a brownie with cookie mixed in. Anyway ... I just want to let you know ....... They are delicious.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 17:12

4543 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Don, how soon will you be getting the engine and trans back? I bet you are getting a bit anxious...I would be.

Tom - I stopped by Jackson Racing Engines yesterday and he's gone wild! Only kidding but he is almost finished with the heads... Yup I have had him completely re-do and go over the LE2 heads. He actually found a few things that really needed attention.

My big box of parts came in on Monday, so I got to touch and feel a few things like the crankshaft new pistons and rods. Cool stuff. The motor should be done in three or four weeks.

Jerry is building a few others with mine as well. I got to hold some $2500 intake and exhaust valves in my hands yesterday. The titanium vales are very noticeably lighter than the steel ones that we have in our cars. This Gen1 smallblock they are going into will be using Dart heads and a custom Dart block. supposed to make 700+hp without power adder.

Here's a few photos of the big box of boxes and a shot of the crank and some porting work.

Attach file:

jpg  crankshaft.jpg (161.61 KB)
342_4d405a3fc8e96.jpg 600X800 px

jpg  crankshaft2.jpg (152.33 KB)
342_4d405a495bd78.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  boxofboxes.jpg (231.74 KB)
342_4d405a598f508.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  runners2.jpg (230.57 KB)
342_4d405a6df0678.jpg 1024X768 px
Posted on: 2011/1/26 17:32

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
I got to hold some $2500 intake and exhaust valves in my hands yesterday.

That's why SBC sprint car motors cost $45,000.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 18:11

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Bill, make sure you duck when you "fire" that baby up for the first time.

I had my largest extinguisher sittin' there when I turned on the gas valve.

No gas leaks, yea.

Also no oven flame and no broiler flame.

Error code: Stuck key.
It's just like pullin' codes on a C4, right on the dash.

I wasn't hungry anyway.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 18:17

teebee Re: Wednesday Chat 01.26.11
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12368 Posts

Wow Don, that crank has been massaged a bit hasn't it? Bill, that sounds like me plumbing, it either doesn't work or it leaks...at least it's not leaking.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 18:53

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

4543 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:

Yeah, he told me the heads they went into were worth more than my whole new engine rebuild. I think he was making me feel like a was getting a deal!
Posted on: 2011/1/26 18:58

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:

Yeah, he told me the heads they went into were worth more than my whole new engine rebuild. I think he was making me feel like a was getting a deal!

Yea, you'd crap if you saw the heads off one of the vintage Nascar's I sometimes crew on.

I was in Klein Engines in Chandler,Az. a few years back lookin' at some $45k motors. They do a lot of sprintcars.
The whole shop looked like a hospital operating room.
They had 150 SBC bare blocks sitting out in the back.

And you don't even want to think about the cost of my friend's BBC aluminum heads.

Attach file:

jpg  2006-03-22 22-57-03_0006.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2011/1/26 20:02

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

More of my house builders brilliant Fred Flintstone electrical work: How to run cable.

And the hardest part of kitchen cabinets is to find boxes for all the crap inside the old ones.

Attach file:

jpg  2006-03-30 05-16-48_0002.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  2006-03-30 05-17-50_0004.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2011/1/26 23:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.