Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
215 user(s) are online (171 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  LT4
Engine used in 1996, all manual equipped cars came with this engine....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

JeffK Teacher gets in trouble for blog
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

I know we have some educators on here. I actually laughed at some of this teachers comments because I agree with her. You don't have to be a teacher to see it.

Anyway, here's the link.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110216/a ... us_teacher_suspended_blog
Posted on: 2011/2/16 15:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: Teacher gets in trouble for blog
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Arggh, I'm getting sick of seeing this "free speech" card being played, and always wrongly. Stupid attorney.

She is free to speak her mind on her blog, and the district is free to tell her to GTFO.

I guess the lesson here is watch what you say online, it may come back to haunt you. The people reading and reacting to it may not be talented critical thinkers.
Posted on: 2011/2/16 16:06

JeffK Re: Teacher gets in trouble for blog
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Arggh, I'm getting sick of seeing this "free speech" card being played, and always wrongly. Stupid attorney.

She is free to speak her mind on her blog, and the district is free to tell her to GTFO.

I guess the lesson here is watch what you say online, it may come back to haunt you. The people reading and reacting to it may not be talented critical thinkers.

I agree, she had to know that she was wrong for putting that stuff on the internet.
Posted on: 2011/2/16 16:15

JrRifleCoach Re: Teacher gets in trouble for blog
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Why is it incorrect to say the truth?
Posted on: 2011/2/16 16:26
As democracy is perfected, the POTUS represents more closely the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a fool and narcissistic moron.

TommyT-Bone Re: Teacher gets in trouble for blog
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

School staff ....
She should have just said everything's fine. How's it going? Fine. What about today's students? They're fine. What do you think of the curriculum today. Oh, it's fine.

Husband ....
Honey? Are you home? Ya; Just walked in. How was your day? The kids are a bunch of fuckin morons that couldn't think their way out of a paper bag. They're disrespectful vindictive low achievers that will have a difficult time landing a job in a fast food joint nevermind passing the S.A.T.s. They think they're all that when in reality manure has more redeemable value. Other than that, It was fine ....

Attach file:

jpg  crap.jpg (12.91 KB)
852_4d5bfabee7339.jpg 248X196 px
Posted on: 2011/2/16 16:27

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

I don't even want to know why you have a picture of Manure stashed away Tommy but damn that was a great post.
Posted on: 2011/2/16 16:29

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Quote:

JrRifleCoach wrote:
Why is it incorrect to say the truth?

It's not politically correct and you might hurt someone's feelings let alone insult a new-age parents children.
Posted on: 2011/2/16 16:32

rklessdriver Re: Teacher gets in trouble for blog
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

It's always free speech - until somebody says something you/they/them/ect don't agree with. Telling it like it is, isn't all it's cracked up to be. There are real liabilities when you are in charge of educating everybody else's children.

I don't understand, Why she has the incessant need to beiger her own students on the internetz. Sure, kids today are morons (the whole damn world is going to the dogs) but as an educator - If you are not part of the solution - you are part of the problem. Botching on the internet about students attitudes, ect just makes you look like a whiney little cunt who can't handle your students in a class room setting.

It also shows a serious lack of judgment on your part. Everybody knows that once you post IT on the internet, IT NEVER leaves.... Every student/teacher/parent in the world can see IT forever.... What student wants that kind of teacher? What parent wants that kind of teacher? What school district is going to keep that kind of teacher?

Will
Posted on: 2011/2/16 17:18

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
School staff ....
She should have just said everything's fine. How's it going? Fine. What about today's students? They're fine. What do you think of the curriculum today. Oh, it's fine.

Husband ....
Honey? Are you home? Ya; Just walked in. How was your day? The kids are a bunch of fuckin morons that couldn't think their way out of a paper bag. They're disrespectful vindictive low achievers that will have a difficult time landing a job in a fast food joint nevermind passing the S.A.T.s. They think they're all that when in reality manure has more redeemable value. Other than that, It was fine ....

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
Posted on: 2011/2/16 17:33

bogus Re: Teacher gets in trouble for blog
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Free Speach. My favourite gripe.

It is everyone's crutch and excuse for being a fucking moron, and when it fails to land well, it becomes everyones favourite crutch to blame people.

Free speach goes both ways and this society has become way to intolerant of others opinions. So squelching those opinions is the only remaining solution. It really harkens me back to the old Soviet block, NAZI Germany and our own Anti-Sedition Act.

We love to hook up the sunshine pump and think things are perfect. We resent the first person who comes along and shifts that paradigm.

Those new-age parents need to be bitch slapped.
Posted on: 2011/2/16 17:54

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Those new-age parents need to be bitch slapped.

or
Posted on: 2011/2/16 18:20

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Free speach goes both ways and this society has become way to intolerant of others opinions. So squelching those opinions is the only remaining solution. It really harkens me back to the old Soviet block, NAZI Germany and our own Anti-Sedition Act.

The government isn't squelching her free speech, her employer is. Two very different things.
Posted on: 2011/2/17 4:01

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

And to a certain degree so is society...
Posted on: 2011/2/17 12:29

Vetron87 Re: Teacher gets in trouble for blog
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Good Thing I don't teach in Philly. She is right in so many ways. Motivate kids is only half the battle! how about morals, values, and focus on their future. Its difficult to teach a vocational class to kids when jail or prison is a pretty good way of life. Three meals a day, talk shit all day long, cable TV, weight lifting, free medical, dental, and drugs.
I agree, her employer has blocked the truth, but many people can't handle the truth. They will probably blame it on her hormone rage because she is 8 months preg.
We have kids here that come to school for free breakfast, free lunch and talk shit have no desire to learn, " just hang out". Thank God its not the majority of our students, but it only takes a few to create problems.
For most adults that are not in the educational field can not relate to what teachers have to put up with in the class room. I have prediators that would hurt you if if the opportunity presented itself.
No child left behind opened a can of worms for us. Humm....Starting to rant.
I express myself at board meeting and faculty meeting about the state of ED, but that creates a pucker factor of ten. School Board members could suck their chair up their ass when I get done. Charter Schools are suppose to be the answer, but that only sucks moneys away from public schools.
Sorry Gurus!I'm ranting,,,,, I have turned a lot of kids around, taught them valuable skills for a trade, and taken guns and knives away from kids. I have put my life on the line to protect US citizens right to free speech and our way of life. There I'm done,
Posted on: 2011/2/17 13:03

Ultraman Re: Teacher gets in trouble for blog
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14743 Posts

My wife is a teacher and she says that teaching is not like any other job. For the most part she agrees with the ranting teachers analysis but her take is kids will go to the path of least resistance because they are immature. They can't help it, they are kids.

The problem lies with society overall. She blames the parents or lack of parents who will discipline kids at home not expect the school to raise their kids and then bitch when the kid gets in trouble. My wife is almost daily lugging some kindergartner down the hall kicking and screaming, headed to the principle office. I think I told you about the one that would yell, "you cold bitch, you cold bitch! As he was carted down the hall. Nice! And these are the little kids. She now calls Mike the janitor and he hauls them off for her. Probably not in his job discription.

What you don't hear about are the kids who are doing it right. The ones that behave and listen and want to learn. The bad ones get too much attention and the good ones sometimes go unnoticed.

Back to the teachers rant. I don't think that is something she should get fired about. Although here my wife goes to meetings put on by the school where lawyers will tell them be very careful what you put on the internet it can and will come back to haunt you. Rant all you want at home or even with close friends at the bar but don't go with it on the net. If she has problems she needed to go to the school and point out the trouble makers and get the admin involved and then work harder with the ones that want to learn. I can remember bad kids in school, but I can also remember the principle taking a paddle made by the shop teacher and pounding on their butt and then they knew they were going to get it again when they got home.

What happened to those days?
Posted on: 2011/2/17 14:45

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
The problem lies with society overall. She blames the parents or lack of parents who will not discipline kids at home not expect the school to raise their kids and then bitch when the kid gets in trouble. My wife is almost daily lugging some kindergartner down the hall kicking and screaming, headed to the principle office. I think I told you about the one that would yell, "you cold bitch, you cold bitch! As he was carted down the hall. Nice! And these are the little kids. She now calls Mike the janitor and he hauls them off for her. Probably not in his job discription.

That's funny, calling the Janitor to take out the trash..I think is in his job description.

I never got the paddle, I got threatened once...that was all it took. I don't think that we should have ever allowed them to take that away from the schools. Most of the time the teachers spend more time with our kids than we do.
Posted on: 2011/2/17 14:52

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Marcus great evaluation! I have 5 and 6 th year seniors, no parent involvement since early elementary school. Grandparents try to raise them. I see lack of maturity in my vocational welding classes at night. They get a little burn or cut you would think its the end of the world.
We have been told not to do facebook or twit.
Work ethic is another issue! I can teach them a skilled trade but will they show up to work and on time.
Third and forth generation of welfare, milking the system(family values) takes its toll on kids and society.
Again the general public doesn't want to hear this! Let some of these decision makers try to employ these kids and watch what happens to their profit margin....yes profit margin! real world stuff!... ya don't work you don't eat...
Posted on: 2011/2/17 15:01

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

JeffK wrote:
Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
The problem lies with society overall. She blames the parents or lack of parents who will not discipline kids at home not expect the school to raise their kids and then bitch when the kid gets in trouble. My wife is almost daily lugging some kindergartner down the hall kicking and screaming, headed to the principle office. I think I told you about the one that would yell, "you cold bitch, you cold bitch! As he was carted down the hall. Nice! And these are the little kids. She now calls Mike the janitor and he hauls them off for her. Probably not in his job discription.

That's funny, calling the Janitor to take out the trash..I think is in his job description.

I never got the paddle, I got threatened once...that was all it took. I don't think that we should have ever allowed them to take that away from the schools. Most of the time the teachers spend more time with our kids than we do.

We do spend more time then most parents with kids, we become their parents,priest,counselor, and visionary. Try to put a positive spin on incredible burden these kids carry....and don't even get me started on teen sucide with these kids. Damn I'm getting depressed....
No wonder China has their sights on us.
Posted on: 2011/2/17 15:07

Huskerland
14743 Posts

We had a healthy fear of our teachers or you could call it respect maybe. They didn't put up with any shit and we knew it. The worse thing was to embarrass your family by getting in trouble and then having to face the old man when you got home. Back then the principle would call home and tell your Dad about how you were caught trying to look up Sally's dre.......errr I mean fighting in the parking lot after school. Then there would be hell to pay!
Posted on: 2011/2/17 15:10

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

And this is the ideology we're trying to spread throughout the world? No wonder they call us The Infidel.
Posted on: 2011/2/17 15:12

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

We had one boy here commit suicide because he was being bully'd. That to me is just a sad sign. Back in the day even if you knew he was going to beat your ass you'd stand up for yourself eventually. It's defintely not worth ending your life over.
Posted on: 2011/2/17 15:14

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

If a miniority student does well in school he gets bullied by "his"group for acting "out" of his blood line. Holy Crap!!!
Back in the day if you got bullied you fought your way out of it. Sucide/the long term solution for a short term problem.
What I hate is the parental bulling, the parent living his high school years over in his kid. Daddy the big football star in H.S. now has a son that likes playing the flute in the band. Let the trauma for the kid begin.
Posted on: 2011/2/17 15:23

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

The way teachers are portrayed in the media is very demeaning, and are quickly stereotyped by students, parents and people in general. Had a issue with a parent one time that thought all male teachers were fags (his words not mine) and his path in life was to intimidate anyone that got in his way! How do you think his kids behaved. Cool. Now how do you talk with a person like that about student behavior?
Posted on: 2011/2/17 15:36

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Damn! I'm on a roll! who brought this topic up anyway? Oh yea Jeff!
Posted on: 2011/2/17 15:38

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Where's TeeBee?
Posted on: 2011/2/17 15:39

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

haha...my first controversial thread.

I agree with you. My son will not embarass me. He knows who he has to answer to if he does.

My wife doesn't agree with my point of view and her son is raised differently. I keep telling her that when he gets into his teens and is out of control don't complain to me. And don't get pissed when I knock him on his ass for disrepecting me.
Posted on: 2011/2/17 16:40

383tpimachine Re: Teacher gets in trouble for blog
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

Being the youngin I will chime in with what I grew up with:

I attended a school (Pre-k to 5th) with 100 student only. My class being the biggest at 12-14 throughout changing with a moving family or failure.
Being a small school the good old paddle was in effect until my 4th grade year when a new principle stepped in after the latter was promoted to a district position. I only went to see him once and I was given the choice: Paddle or call home. I chose paddle at school in a heart beat. I knew my place and knew the consequences. I can honestly admit I was not a bad kid but was the only white kid which came with its own problems.
The new one in charge was a "Newage" thinker. No paddle. Her method for punishment was no recess for the day. Bit deal. I was willing to get justice on the playground to miss the next days. She was around a whole 6months before being replaced by her husband. He took the same stance but wanted to "talk" about why. My 5th grade year before changing school due to moving I settled a few feuds that had been brewing for a few months. Three fights in a week. Landed me in ISS for 3 days. I laughed when I got back and he asked me why I did it. Easy enough. "It was worth it."

I have never been one to lash out against a teacher until my 8th grade year in biology. I was sitting with 3 of my friends when he walked into class. Within 5 minutes I was moved to a table alone. I was again the only white student in the class and the teacher was black. After 6 weeks I came out with the highest class average and was asked the following week if I had been cheating. I did not take this lightly as I was sitting ALONE. Long story short I called him a few derogatory names and the remaining 30 weeks of school I received over 170 office referrals, 3 within one day in a 55 min class. This has been my only problem with a teacher, ever. He was fired the next year for yelling at a student, minority, and they believed him rather than me the preceding year.

I have a strong stand on how I think and the following generations are for the most part going to be useless. Sports, Hobbies, and a restrictive homelife molded me into who I am today. With the utter bullcrap that persists today none of the above are major parts of childrens lives.

When I have to fear about my burger order being right with my generation I can only imagine how often I will be cooking for myself when I reach the "real" world after I graduate college.

Thanks to those who are teachers and attempt to reach the kids such as me who have a want for a better future.
Posted on: 2011/2/17 21:24

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Good Thing I don't teach in Philly. She is right in so many ways. Motivate kids is only half the battle! how about morals, values, and focus on their future. Its difficult to teach a vocational class to kids when jail or prison is a pretty good way of life. Three meals a day, talk shit all day long, cable TV, weight lifting, free medical, dental, and drugs.

True, true. Check out the grin on this somali pirate that was just sentenced to the American dream:
Resized Image

I was a pain in the ass in school, to an extent, but it very much depended on the teacher and crowd I was around. Kids are very impressionable. As a teacher I suppose that means it's you against the world to win them over. Maybe a lot to ask of most teachers, but some don't even try.
Posted on: 2011/2/17 21:25

flyboy Re: Teacher gets in trouble for blog
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

I live three doors from the public grade school (K-6) working class mostly white neighborhood.
Things are pretty normal around here. Plenty of parental involvement.
Posted on: 2011/2/17 21:35

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

I do see parental interference..err I mean involvement.

Imagine todays children in the military. Crying because they have to run in the morning and work all day.
Posted on: 2011/2/17 21:40

Huskerland
14743 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
I live three doors from the public grade school (K-6) working class mostly white neighborhood.
Things are pretty normal around here. Plenty of parental involvement.

Out here it is about the same. Problems are delt with quickly and severly if needed. All the problem kids are identified early and are given some extra attention to see if they can help the kid adjust. Church youth groups have good attendence and the youth pastors are always visible at ball games and concerts. Everyone knows who the bad asses are and keeps an eye on them. The group Ultraboy runs with all have a good set of parents and we all keep up on them and with cell phones that makes it easier.

I tell him that in a town this size nothing happens that I won't hear about. So keep your nose clean kid! LOL That is what my old high school football coach used to tell us.
Posted on: 2011/2/17 22:20

teebee Re: Teacher gets in trouble for blog
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12367 Posts

Hey Ron, I'm here...you're doing just fine..... You know, us fags must hang together.

I was called a fag once...really pissed me off.
Posted on: 2011/2/18 1:54

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Actually many of these issues have been around for decades. Think Bowery Boys. I was no angel. I was a bright under achiever that did just enough to get by. I wasn't the worst of the worst but I was no angel either. You, first and foremost, are responsible for your actions or inactions. There is a price to pay for ignorance. Most low skilled and unskilled labor positions were filled by dropouts. Gangbangers end up either dead or in prison. The lucky ones escape. In the olden days, if someone messed with your kid, your brother or your friend there would be hell to pay. Back then it meant someone was gonna get their ass kicked. Today it means someone is gonna be a temporary visitor to the medical examiners office. It all moved up from fist to fist, fist to knife, knife to bat, bat to chain, chain to gun, gun to gun and now gun to fist. I don't have the actual percentage of trouble makers but my guess would be less than 5% of the population or 95% of Vetrons class. As indicated in previous chats, by assuming the only place for kids to go is to college, there has been a major disservice to the student and society in general. We need plumbers, electricians, assembly workers, agricultural workers, mechanics of all types, electronic repairman/woman and an ongoing list of skilled labor. The medical field is wide open. Guidance Counsellors used to guide but they need some place to guide you to. Which is leading to my next rant ......
Posted on: 2011/2/18 3:53

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Rant continues .... Money .... Everybody in education cries that they need more money. (Not meaning our educators) but the systems that employs them. Go back to a low cost education where people actually have to learn something and participate in physical activity. Back to basics. Reading writing, history, usable math and usable science. That's 6 classes a day right there with P.E. Once you've mastered reading, develop some language skills. One last passing thought .......... I got a hoot out of a survey sent out to nursery growers by the State of Florida. It was obviously written by a botanist with a PHD that had no practical knowledge in the field but a ton of education in the classroom. That makes me .....

What's the topic again?
Posted on: 2011/2/18 4:09

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.