Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
303 user(s) are online (259 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  HUD
HEADS UP DISPLAY. A DIGITAL PROJECTED DISPLAY ON INSIDE OF WINDSHIELD CONTAINING VEHICLE INFO SUCH AS SPEED, ENGINE TEMP, RPM, ETC. FOR DRIVER INFOR...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jsup Torque Converter--which one and why
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

I'm just about finishing up my build. Next is a torque converter.

This is a motor with a Super Ram, 74219 cam, Brodix 180CC heads....ect...

Lingenfelter recommends a 2600-2800 converter.

I don't want that "slipping clutch" feeling.

What do you guys recommend?
Posted on: 2008/1/23 20:30
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

biggrizzly RE:Torque Converter--which one and why
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I plan to go with a 3000 - 3200 stall from Fuddle racing. This decision is based on my conversation with Lloyd about what has worked best for guys with my arrangement of components and the intended RPM range which for me moved up a bit.
Posted on: 2008/1/23 22:04

Notorious RE:Torque Converter--which one and why
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

I'm sure there are many good ones out there and my experience with performance converters is limited. But I really can't tell much difference between my stock one and my 3000 Vigilante. That is..... until I fully depress the fun pedal!
Posted on: 2008/1/23 22:09

apeacefulstorm RE:Torque Converter--which one and why
Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:
I'm sure there are many good ones out there and my experience with performance converters is limited. But I really can't tell much difference between my stock one and my 3000 Vigilante. That is..... until I fully depress the fun pedal!

and what happens then? Please share if you don't mind because I am trying to visualize what a stall converter feels like in action... when you fully depress is there a hesitation and then it takes off or something else?
Posted on: 2008/1/23 22:25

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

and what happens then? Please share if you don't mind because I am trying to visualize what a stall converter feels like in action... when you fully depress is there a hesitation and then it takes off or something else?

No hesitation, it just engages at a higher RPM range than the stocker. This way you're already at a greater torque level. During launches it's roughly equivalent to revving it up and dropping the clutch with a manual car, but with a bit less driveline shock.
Posted on: 2008/1/23 22:31

dan0617 RE:Torque Converter--which one and why
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

With my stock '89 converter I could barely powerbrake it with Nitto drag radials on the back. Couldn't heat them because it would just push the car forward even with the brake pushed as hard as possible. With a TCS 2800 stall I can melt the tires. Plus, with the stock converter I had to wait for 3000 rpms to hit the nitrous. With the 2800 I can hit the switch as soon as the tires are hooked up.

Any higher stall converter will be a little "looser" feeling than stock (some much more than others), and it will be more noticeable with a louder than stock exhaust. Like climbing up a driveway at 10mph. I don't have my engine running since the heads/cam swap, but I also changed the trans governor weights and springs. I think keeping it in each gear to a higher rpm at part throttle will help eliminate the "loose" feeling, although it isn't really bad. The first time I drove it I was skeptical and didn't really like it at part throttle, but now that I'm used to it I love it. A trans cooler is a must with a higher than 2K stall converter.

Also, I bypassed my torque converter unlock at the brake pedal. I never noticed it with the stock converter, but with the higher stall I got tired of going 55 mph with the converter locked, then tapping the brake and the converter unlocks, then when I hit the gas it would rev up to about 2600 then the converter would quickly lock again and drop the rpm's. Very annoying. By bypassing the unlock switch at the brake pedal the converter unlocks when I slow down to 35mph but it stays locked as long as I stay above 35 when tapping the brake or slowing down a little. It is nice. Some people don't suggest this but I have a new Dodge truck and it works the same way. Converter stays locked when braking down to about 35mph. You can try it and always go back if you don't like it.

Sorry about the long post, but another reason I like the higher stall converter is because when sitting at a stoplight I can almost take my foot off the brake and the car won't move. With the stock converter I had to hold the brake really, really hard to sit still.
Posted on: 2008/1/23 23:54

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:

No hesitation, it just engages at a higher RPM range than the stocker. This way you're already at a greater torque level. During launches it's roughly equivalent to revving it up and dropping the clutch with a manual car, but with a bit less driveline shock.

and if you are driving normally? does it just take off like stock?
Posted on: 2008/1/24 0:07

CFI-EFI RE:Torque Converter--which one and why
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
I really can't tell much difference between my stock one and my 3000 Vigilante. That is..... until I fully depress the fun pedal!
I think part of the reason for that is the high quality converter you bought. For all the labor involved, I'd hate to put it all together and end up being befuddled by a cheap converter with poor daily drive-ability.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/24 1:04

jsup RE:Torque Converter--which one and why
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
I really can't tell much difference between my stock one and my 3000 Vigilante. That is..... until I fully depress the fun pedal!
I think part of the reason for that is the high quality converter you bought. For all the labor involved, I'd hate to put it all together and end up being befuddled by a cheap converter with poor daily drive-ability.

RACE ON!!!

So I guess if I redeem this coupon from Joe's Torque Converter and Tax Preparation LLC, and pick up the one for $149.95 I probably won't be happy....
Posted on: 2008/1/24 1:11

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

I can only speak for my Vigilante. But yes, it really does.
Posted on: 2008/1/24 1:11

Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

I can only speak for my Vigilante. But yes, it really does.

ok so its like stock until you get on it then its like dropping the clutch..... cool.... how much did it cost, do you mind saying?
Posted on: 2008/1/24 1:15

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

ok so its like stock until you get on it then its like dropping the clutch..... cool.... how much did it cost, do you mind saying?

The last I saw, they were about $750 new.
Posted on: 2008/1/24 1:19

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
So I guess if I redeem this coupon from Joe's Torque Converter and Tax Preparation LLC, and pick up the one for $149.95 I probably won't be happy....
Who knows? Buy one and give us all a report.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/24 1:27

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

they are that much

PeteK has some good ones from what I hear. Waiting for him to chime in. I think his are under $500.
Posted on: 2008/1/24 2:15

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

If he endorses it, I certainly wouldn't be afraid of it.
Posted on: 2008/1/24 2:21

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
If he endorses it, I certainly wouldn't be afraid of it.

That's my thinking....
Posted on: 2008/1/24 2:22

4543 Posts

Quote:
For all the labor involved, I'd hate to put it all together and end up being befuddled by a cheap converter with poor daily drive-ability.
RACE ON!!!

Now was that a play on words or what? be "Fuddle"! LOL
Have you heard anything bad about these guys? I have read some good reports on thier stuff over at Cz28. I was planning on giving them a try.
Posted on: 2008/1/24 3:15

Danspeed1 RE:Torque Converter--which one and why
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

RACE ON!!!

I have to agree with CFI-EFI, there is a big difference between a quality converter and a cheap converter. Generally the best converters are the hand/built to order converters. The cheap ones you get off the shelf will be loose as Jenna Jameson and will give you that "clutch" slip feel you are NOT looking for. This is just one of those parts where it is important to put up the $$ and buy something quality. For all the work that goes into building a proper converter, you can't expect to buy anything of any sort of quality for $150. Expect to spend $500-$1200 for a quality brand. If I could make a suggestion.... give Andre at Edge a call. He really knows his sh*t about converters and can build you one to specifically match your performance goals and engine combo. They run somewhere around $500 for a 700R4... I know this because we bought a 3000 stall for or C3 vette. The stall is actually 3000 and I wish we would have went higher. The car drives like a toyota corolla under light throttle, cruises at 2400RPM on the highway, and is a beast when you mash the "fun pedal."

DG
Posted on: 2008/1/24 4:42
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

RACE ON!!!

I have to agree with CFI-EFI, there is a big difference between a quality converter and a cheap converter. Generally the best converters are the hand/built to order converters. The cheap ones you get off the shelf will be loose as Jenna Jameson and will give you that "clutch" slip feel you are NOT looking for. This is just one of those parts where it is important to put up the $$ and buy something quality. For all the work that goes into building a proper converter, you can't expect to buy anything of any sort of quality for $150. Expect to spend $500-$1200 for a quality brand. If I could make a suggestion.... give Andre at Edge a call. He really knows his sh*t about converters and can build you one to specifically match your performance goals and engine combo. They run somewhere around $500 for a 700R4... I know this because we bought a 3000 stall for or C3 vette. The stall is actually 3000 and I wish we would have went higher. The car drives like a toyota corolla under light throttle, cruises at 2400RPM on the highway, and is a beast when you mash the "fun pedal."

DG

I was joking about the "149.95" converter.

Thanks for the info. I was expecting to drop $500, didn't know they went as high as $1200..

Do you have a website for Eagle?
Posted on: 2008/1/24 4:51

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/

I don't think anyone mentioned the importance of the size of the converter also. Although 9.5in converters run hot, there are alot of benefits to having one. You want to look for a company that can sell you a 9.5-10in converter. The 12in ones are dinosaurs.

DG
Posted on: 2008/1/24 16:08
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

I don't think anyone mentioned the importance of the size of the converter also. Although 9.5in converters run hot, there are alot of benefits to having one. You want to look for a company that can sell you a 9.5-10in converter. The 12in ones are dinosaurs.

DG

I agree. My 9 1/2" Vig weighs 17 lbs. less than the stocker. That is a very nice and majorly significant reduction in rotating weight! Adequate cooling takes care of any heat problems, no worries there.
Posted on: 2008/1/24 16:14

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

DG

I agree. My 9 1/2" Vig weighs 17 lbs. less than the stocker. That is a very nice and majorly significant reduction in rotating weight! Adequate cooling takes care of any heat problems, no worries there.

The converter Notorious is running is also an excellent converter. If you want to see some really expensive ones, check out Yank's website. They can run as much as $1100 depending on the make, model, and what you want it to do.

DG
Posted on: 2008/1/24 16:18
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

sliding RE:Torque Converter--which one and why
Senior Guru
Zagreb, Croatia
326 Posts

[quote="biggrizzly"]Quote:

Have you heard anything bad about these guys? I have read some good reports on thier stuff over at Cz28. I was planning on giving them a try.

My experience with Fuddle

You have to be registered to CF to be able to read this.
Posted on: 2008/1/24 16:41

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

I'd forgotten about that. So how'd it work once you finally got it?
Posted on: 2008/1/24 16:45

4543 Posts

[quote="sliding"]Quote:
Quote:

Wow, Sorry for that nightmare you went throug. Croatia is still a bit far compared to here in the CONUS. How is your converter performing? Did you keep it? Satisfied or just pissed at the whole situation.
I can understand, I would have been really pissed off by the time if finally arrived. At least pissed of at someone!
Cheers - Any performance related issues - please tell.
Thanks
Posted on: 2008/1/24 16:59

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
For all the labor involved, I'd hate to put it all together and end up being befuddled by a cheap converter with poor daily drive-ability.
RACE ON!!!

Quote:
It was supposed to be a cleverly (?) disguised warning. I had remembered them just popping up out of the blue, "over there". I think, at first, they tried to skate past the vendor rules "over there", but that may not be correct. I do recall having a bad feeling and that is probably due to sliding's experience, which had slipped my mind until I reread his linked thread. It seemed strange to me that a local company, I had never heard of, could materialize out of the woodwork so quickly.

I have little experience with loose converters. I had a B&M Hole Shot (not even their Super Hole Shot) in my '66 SS396 (w/454) Chevelle. That converter didn't have enough stall to threaten drive-ability. I too have a Vigilanti in my '84. Mine is a 2600 rpm stall. It does have a different feel than the stock converter, but it is in no way a drive-ability problem. I believe (but I don't, for a fact know) that the higher quality, read expensive, converters exhibit better DD characteristics.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/24 19:36

Senior Guru
Zagreb, Croatia
326 Posts

I have received TC and I have installed it. So far it performs good.
At cruising arround it feels almost as stock and when driving hard it
performs much better.
However, stall is arround 2400-2500, not 2800 as I ordered.
That may be because I ordered TC for 500HP engine that I plan to build in
future, and I'm at ~370 now.

But if it was the best TC in the whole world, if it was "the only" TC I'd
rather keep stock one then go through dealing with Fuddle again.

Please do extensive search on LS1 forum and LS1tech forum and you'll find
that I'm not the only one who thinks that owner of "Fuddle racing" is a liar,
and I'm certainly not the only one who had bad experience with them.
Unfortunately, I found that out when I started to dig, when "Fuddle" stopped
responding to my e-mails and phone calls.
Posted on: 2008/1/24 21:39

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

My brother had a B&M holeshot is his Nova,... 2400.... total junk. It slipped but didn't feel any different than the stocker at WOT. TCI 2400 was in the vette prior to edge,.. also junk.

Just my $0.02
DG
Posted on: 2008/1/24 23:23
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

4543 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up! Between Vigilante, and Yank I think I can find what I'm looking for. That is what I initially had planned, but then got befuddled when reading posts about a good TC at more reasonable costs.

Cheers - Glad it is working out for you

Quote:
I have received TC and I have installed it. So far it performs good.
At cruising arround it feels almost as stock and when driving hard it
performs much better.
However, stall is arround 2400-2500, not 2800 as I ordered.
That may be because I ordered TC for 500HP engine that I plan to build in
future, and I'm at ~370 now.

But if it was the best TC in the whole world, if it was "the only" TC I'd
rather keep stock one then go through dealing with Fuddle again.

Please do extensive search on LS1 forum and LS1tech forum and you'll find
that I'm not the only one who thinks that owner of "Fuddle racing" is a liar,
and I'm certainly not the only one who had bad experience with them.
Unfortunately, I found that out when I started to dig, when "Fuddle" stopped
responding to my e-mails and phone calls.
Posted on: 2008/1/24 23:44

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
My brother had a B&M holeshot is his Nova,... 2400.... total junk. It slipped but didn't feel any different than the stocker at WOT.
I didn't have any problems with my B&M, remember this was a hundred years ago, but I agree it didn't have much stall. I think it might have been about 1800 rpm. I credit lifting the front tires to my torque monster 454, not the converter.

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up! Between Vigilante, and Yank I think I can find what I'm looking for.
Don't forget about Edge, also.

Quote:
That is what I initially had planned, but then got befuddled when reading posts about a good TC at more reasonable costs.
You were once befuddled. Are you now defuddled?

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/24 23:59

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

When on CF, I was talking to PeteK about a converter. I then got a PM from fuddle, telling me that I should buy a brand name converter, not a converter from a private seller. I thought that was pretty tacky and turned me off to them no matter how good their converter might be. I ended up buying a used TCS converter. It has a 12" back and a 9.5" front. Kind of wierd looking but the idea is that the kevlar lockup clutch is bigger than a 9.5" therefore works better and lasts longer, but the front is 9.5" so the weight is down and performance is good. It doesn't feel like stock but it is very driveable. I wouldn't want it if I were worried about gas mileage tho as mine went down with the new converter. Of course my foot got a little heavier at the same time!
Posted on: 2008/1/25 0:42

4543 Posts

Quote:
When on CF, I was talking to PeteK about a converter. I then got a PM from fuddle, telling me that I should buy a brand name converter, not a converter from a private seller. I thought that was pretty tacky and turned me off to them no matter how good their converter might be. I ended up buying a used TCS converter. It has a 12" back and a 9.5" front. Kind of wierd looking but the idea is that the kevlar lockup clutch is bigger than a 9.5" therefore works better and lasts longer, but the front is 9.5" so the weight is down and performance is good. It doesn't feel like stock but it is very driveable. I wouldn't want it if I were worried about gas mileage tho as mine went down with the new converter. Of course my foot got a little heavier at the same time!

Now that you mention it, I got a PM from him too, and that's how I initially found out about him. Here is the original message - probably the same one you got.

[size=10:bf5f571600][color=brown:bf5f571600]"We saw that you are looking at possibly getting a converter. Rather than the overpriced competition, consider one of our custom built converters. You simply will not find a converter on the market capable of outperforming ours.

We only use the best quality components in our converters. You will find that with converters in cars like SR71’s former TT C5, our converters are quite capable of handling extreme power. We are happy to help you find the best stall for your application. Converters can maintain great streetability and driveability if you get the right stall and STR for your car. The converters also come with a 2 year hassle free warranty. That means if you have any problems, get the converter back to us, and we will fix it free of charge.

Our converters will not be outperformed, you won’t find a better street feel, our warranty simply is unmatched, and our prices are by far the lowest of any top quality converter builder. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. You will also find that there is not anyone nearly as helpful and devoted to customer service as we are. For more information or to find out about our other converters, check out our web site at www.fuddleracing.com or just click on our sponsor banner.

Fuddle Racing
questions@fuddleracing.com "
[/color:bf5f571600][/size:bf5f571600]
Posted on: 2008/1/25 0:52

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I don't have the PM anymore. It was very similar, but it mentioned that I should buy a brand name converter not a converter built and sold by a private individual. They were trying to seal business, therefore they didn't get mine. I was going to buy from PeteK until I found a used one in the for sale section that was perfect for me.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 0:57

PeteK RE:Torque Converter--which one and why
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

The main difference between myself and Fuddle is I never tried to sell converters. They needed to sell them to eat. I sold them based on request. They were a forum sponsor, and I was not, so I respected them.
I was lucky. I stumbed upon an anal retentave, small, family owned shop that built converters. Every time they built me a performance converter, their peckers got hard. They enjoyed doing them that much. I sold a few based on inquities, and it spread through word of mouth.
I guess what I am trying to say is there is no such thing as a PeteK converter. Only a PeteK box with someone else's converter. Everyone who bought one knew this.
If I had to buy one other than my guy's, it would be a converter from Andre at Edge.
To my knowledge, no one had been unhappy with a converter I sold them. I have sold 3 converters to guys who pulled out their Fuddle to install mine.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 2:45

JDSWHITE93 RE:Torque Converter--which one and why
Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

I got my converter from Pete K and i have no complaints at all. Good converter GREAT price and Excellent service after the sale including the install. Pete you the man !!
Posted on: 2008/1/25 5:37

toptechx6 RE:Torque Converter--which one and why
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:
I got my converter from Pete K and i have no complaints at all. Good converter GREAT price and Excellent service after the sale including the install. Pete you the man !!

Ditto!
Posted on: 2008/1/25 11:05

Mr_Mojo RE:Torque Converter--which one and why
Senior Guru
Lakewood,NJ
225 Posts

I have a Vigilante 2800 in my '93. You can hardly tell the difference until you get on it. I love it.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 12:26

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

The main difference between myself and Fuddle is I never tried to sell converters. They needed to sell them to eat. I sold them based on request. They were a forum sponsor, and I was not, so I respected them.
I was lucky. I stumbed upon an anal retentave, small, family owned shop that built converters. Every time they built me a performance converter, their peckers got hard. They enjoyed doing them that much. I sold a few based on inquities, and it spread through word of mouth.
I guess what I am trying to say is there is no such thing as a PeteK converter. Only a PeteK box with someone else's converter. Everyone who bought one knew this.
If I had to buy one other than my guy's, it would be a converter from Andre at Edge.
To my knowledge, no one had been unhappy with a converter I sold them. I have sold 3 converters to guys who pulled out their Fuddle to install mine.

There IS such a thing as a PeteK converter. You might not have built it but you wouldn't have sold it if it weren't up to your standards. You gave customer service to your purchasers forever, and even gave advice to those who didn't buy from you. You are as much a part of the converters you sold as was the people who built it or the fluid that is in it after installation. You are respected because of this. I wish I had bought from you but I just couldn't turn down the price I got on a used converter. I knew you didn't build the converters, but to me the converters you sold are PeteK converters.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 13:39

Senior Guru
Zagreb, Croatia
326 Posts

Quote:

Pete, my biggest mistake was to order from Fuddle and not you. At that time Fuddle had Christmas sale and their price was really good, and I was in not so good financial situation (with tranny rebuild) so I had to look out for every $. Their TC looked like quality unit for good price. I'm not 100% sure but I think full price was $590 and with sale I've got it for $490.
So I went with their TC over what you offered to save ~$50.
What a mistake to make!

Don't get me wrong. So far, converter acts really good. It's not loose when cruising and when driving hard it puts smile on my face. It would be dishonest from me to tell that TC is junk.
But "Fuddle Racing" company and it's owner are different story.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 15:15

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Hey guys. Been following this, thanks.

What has been the time tested opinion of "Pete's" converters?

If he's at $550 and Vilgilante is at $750, is there any value in spending (or throwing away) $200?

Thanks.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 21:01

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

With no doubt, vigilante makes a quality converter. The thing that puts them abouve a $500 converter is the custom made billet back. Most $500-$600 9.5 inch converters use a stock GM shell, with a steel stiffening ring welded to the rear cover for strength. They also typically use a chrome-moly snout, and an anti-balloon plate on the front. This, combine with sonnax internals makes for a quality converter at a fair price.
If you can afford the billet back offered by Vigilante and others, it is good insurance. However, I personally have never seen the need on 600 hp or less stuff.
Most of use do not "need" a vigilante, but they are a quality outfit.
I have not (yet) seen a rear cover failure, so for my own car I use a non billet version.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 21:11

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Pete, my biggest mistake was to order from Fuddle and not you. At that time Fuddle had Christmas sale and their price was really good, and I was in not so good financial situation (with tranny rebuild) so I had to look out for every $. Their TC looked like quality unit for good price. I'm not 100% sure but I think full price was $590 and with sale I've got it for $490.
So I went with their TC over what you offered to save ~$50.
What a mistake to make!

Don't get me wrong. So far, converter acts really good. It's not loose when cruising and when driving hard it puts smile on my face. It would be dishonest from me to tell that TC is junk.
But "Fuddle Racing" company and it's owner are different story.

Never any hard feelings. I was always happy for the sales I made, and never concerned myself over someones alternate choice. Fuddle was a forum sponsor, and I was not. Fot this reason, I likely would have bought theirs as well, if I were you.
For every converter I sold, I lost 10 or more sales. For me, it certainly was more hobby than business. You are hooked up, and all is well
Posted on: 2008/1/25 21:15

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

they are that much

PeteK has some good ones from what I hear. Waiting for him to chime in. I think his are under $500.

I had 2 versions.
First was a $300 + shipping unit that was a reworked stock converter. They were comparable to a B&M or a TCI, but were good quality, hand built units. Great converter for the price.
Second is a 9.5 bitchen converter that was 14 pounds lighter than stock, and had all the benefits mentioned in the previous post. This converter was 3x the converter at less than double the price. $525 + actual shipping was the price Better value for sure, and drivability was improved over the 12 incher comparing similar stalls.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 21:23

toptechx6 RE:Torque Converter--which one and why
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

If he's at $550 and Vilgilante is at $750, is there any value in spending (or throwing away) $200?

Thanks.

I don't punish mine too bad but JD treats his like a red headed stepchild and he is still happy. Since Pete changed jobs and location I'm not sure he can still make the connection, if he can it may take a little longer, if he can still get them built you will be happy.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 21:23

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

I don't punish mine too bad but JD treats his like a red headed stepchild and he is still happy. Since Pete changed jobs and location I'm not sure he can still make the connection, if he can it may take a little longer, if he can still get them built you will be happy.

Thanks for the good word> Because time has been tough to come by, I have stepped back from selling them. If I cannot put forth 100%, I would rather not do it. It is not fair to the customer to expect them to wait.
I enjoy the hell out of the trans stuff, an I am condidering finding the time to get back to it. Interest lately has been high. Maybe a group purchase or something similar can be arranged. Hmmmmm....
Posted on: 2008/1/25 21:29

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:
If I cannot put forth 100%, I would rather not do it. It is not fair to the customer to expect them to wait.
I enjoy the hell out of the trans stuff,

These sentences and all the help you offer is why we all know what a Pete K converter is.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 22:42

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
but it mentioned that I should buy a brand name converter not a converter built and sold by a private individual.
I have to laugh at that. When did "Fuddle" become a household brand name. B&M, TCI, and a few others are WIDELY recognized names. Fuddle??? Put "Acme" on the side of the box and maybe you can get Wiley Coyote to endorse it.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/26 0:37

smooth RE:Torque Converter--which one and why
Senior Guru
Formerly "Aquavet" in Pa.
386 Posts

....group buy he says....hmmmmmmmm

(hope I have the $$ if it comes about!)
Posted on: 2008/1/26 1:50

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

Funny that Fuddle would say this. It is possible that I have more satisfied customers on the Corvette Forum than Fuddle does.
They poitively have more UNSATISFIED customers (on the corvette forum) than I do.
It is ironic, because Floor Covering is my legitimate business.
To my knowledge, I only have 1 less than thrilled customer. I provided a free restall, and free shipping back to him, and have not heard back, thus I assume he is satisfied.
Not too bad for a private individual.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 2:14

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:
I have to laugh at that. When did "Fuddle" become a household brand name. B&M, TCI, and a few others are WIDELY recognized names. Fuddle??? Put "Acme" on the side of the box and maybe you can get Wiley Coyote to endorse it.

RACE ON!!!

I know now they weren't brand name, but didn't know it then. I was a noob to converter purchasing. They were preying on people like me. PeteK nailed it, that they were a forum sponsor. That made it look like they were a brand name company that cared about the little guy by sponsoring forums. Until I got the message from them, I won't condone an aftermarket business that tries to steal business from others, no matter how good their product is.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 14:52

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.