Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
312 user(s) are online (273 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  MAF
Mass Air Flow sensor. Used to measure the amount of air entering the intake. This sensor works by heating an element and then measuring the rate of c...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Ultraman Wednesday Chat 5-11-11
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

Cooled down a bit and looks like rain. Hope so we could use a nice rain. Got to go load a truck more later. Have a good day guru's.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 13:00

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Wednesday Chat 5-11-11
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Howdy! We dodged a bullet last night - there was golf ball-sized hail just a couple miles north of us when a big storm rolled through. The Twins game was delayed for about an hour due to the rain and hail. It could just as well been canceled due to the stench of the Twins' performance. Sounds like more of the same (probably on both fronts) is likely today.

Stay dry, Gurus!
Posted on: 2011/5/11 13:02

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

biggrizzly Re: Wednesday Chat 5-11-11
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Marcus! Thanks for the start! I was going to but I'm jumping back and forth on what I'm into here this morning.

Last night held a three hour Snooty Corvette Club Meeting! First taking status of all the action items that need completion before the big show on the 4th of June. Then our regular snooty business meeting. I had a couple beers, ate some chicken tenders and had some fun. We have taken in six new members in April. May and June should be good months too because of the car show. Membership is on a rise. Life is good. We always get about 25 new members each year but through attrition, death or snootiness we lose 2/3 of those for what ever reason. I'm always looking at this for retention purposes and we have been doing much better over the past two years. Ok, 'nuff Club talk for you introverts among us.

Have a great day!!
Posted on: 2011/5/11 13:15

Matatk Re: Wednesday Chat 5-11-11
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Don - you should give all new CCA members a 90 day free trial membership to CG, no strings attached

Got both rugrats today and #1 is driving me nuts already. About time to go give #2 some pureed pears and apples.

Nothing else will get accomplished today.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew

PS - hey TB, did you make those chairs from yesterday's chat or were they ordered as unassembled?
Posted on: 2011/5/11 13:29

Epimax Re: Wednesday Chat 5-11-11
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Moanin!

One more day....Taking Friday off to hit the beach...Weather looks promising! There's a few places where you're allowed to drive on the beach--in the undeveloped areas, but now you've got to get permits, etc. When we first moved here back in 1988, no permits were needed and people didn't drive on the dunes, etc. Guess there were a lot fewer people around here then too...Now, we all pay for others negligence..
Still, yearly pass for $50 bucks... I'll take it!

Saw those storms last night Brad, I was wondering if you were getting hammered. We had a few storms roll through with hail last night, but they were to the south of us...Just got some thunder and lightning out of it....Just enough to get the dogs huffin'n'puffin!!

Don-Sounds like a good time!
Matt-Looks like a busy day!!

Y'all have a good Day!
Posted on: 2011/5/11 13:34

Ultraman Re: Wednesday Chat 5-11-11
Huskerland
14738 Posts

Don, I kept waiting for one of our illustrious leaders to get things rolling because I had to leave, so I just got the thread started. I enjoy our daily chats from across the Guru Nation.

Matt, I'm thinking TB grew the trees and chopped them down and split out the wood by hand to make those chairs. I might be wrong but I think he hand makes all his projects. They look great! I think I will have him build me something.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 13:38

BillH Re: Wednesday Chat 5-11-11
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:

Last night held a three hour Snooty Corvette Club Meeting! First taking status of all the action items that need completion before the big show on the 4th of June. Then our regular snooty business meeting.

The shows and tours are so much freekin' work. The last thing I worked on for Reno Corvettes was our V&T tour (V&T stands for the Virginia and Truckee Railroad in Virginia City). The tour was from Reno to Lake Tahoe, Carson City and Virginia City. We had 7 different police departmants involved and 500 Corvettes in the tour.It was absolutely amazing.

The only reason I left the club was that racing just takes up 100% of your free time.

Today I'm starting to lay down the tile in the kitchen, the final part of this project.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 14:03

pianoguy Re: Wednesday Chat 5-11-11
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

My new local Corvette friend, WEGOTYM from CF, belongs to a club called the Ya Ya Vette Cha's - they have no meetings, no dues and no officers - they just get together and do stuff. We're probably going to go on a cruise with a bunch of them on Saturday.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 14:10

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Huskerland
14738 Posts

That's my kind of club! No meetings or rules or snooty. Dues are ok if they are using it to buy pizza and liquid refreshments. Sounds like a fun outing.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 14:41

teebee Re: Wednesday Chat 5-11-11
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Morning guys.....Matt, Marcus and the rest of you. Those chairs are some my daughter ordered and they came unassembled/unfinished. I just had to assemble the parts. For kit chairs, I'm pleasantly surprised of the quality. Of course I glued them all together, even though the instructions say you don't have to. The table I am going build basically from scratch. Bought the legs done but will build the rest. With the daughter moving into her own house and she left most of the furniture that I built for her and her soon-to-be ex, I will be busy building stuff for her for the next year or so.

Well, on different note, the weathermen said for the last three days.....Zero chance for rain in our area, so guess what I woke to this morning? Yup, rain blowing into the house. I'm not complaining though we'll take it all day if it will do it (probably won't). Highs in the upper 70's today and most of the rest of the week.

Brad, I belong to a club like that. We call it a non-club club. No dues, no meetings, no officers, no pressure, just a bunch of people who have a common interest. We have our own website, and forum/email list. Biggest problem is it is based out of Colorado Springs and I don't get to participate as much as I would like. They have monthly "drive and dine" outings, they sponsor a car show and do many other things. We try to make at least one D&D each year. If money is needed they just pass the hat. We have a couple big sponsors, one pays for the website expenses another covers some other costs. It's a great way club to belong.

Bill, are you really going to get this project done?

Hope all you Gurus have a great day.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 14:52

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

4543 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
My new local Corvette friend, WEGOTYM from CF, belongs to a club called the Ya Ya Vette Cha's - they have no meetings, no dues and no officers - they just get together and do stuff. We're probably going to go on a cruise with a bunch of them on Saturday.

That's not a club that's a gang!

I think that any time Vette people get together its a lot of fun. No matter how informal or formal the organization. My members get a lot for their dues and the organization that goes with it. As I tell my people and its true.... You get out of it what you put into it. My members have insurance at our events, the club has insurance, they get people like me to plan races, shows and activities for them in advance and have them mapped out in a schedule, they get a newsletter with all that information consolidated for them every month, A nice website and a name that has been around for 55 years.

Level of organization is just different for different people's likes... It's all good!
Posted on: 2011/5/11 15:01

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:

Bill, are you really going to get this project done?

Yea and that will only leave me 453 unfinished projects to complete.

Speaking of kit furniture, I was walking thru Lowe's the other year and saw this in the clearance pile. A corner cabinet, solid maple front/doors, veneered shelves, crappy pressboard back (who cares?) for $30.00.
Finished with water based stain which allows the wood grain to show:

Attach file:

jpg  2006-02-21 14-39-10_0001.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2011/5/11 15:04

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
[ they get people like me to plan races, shows and activities for them in advance and have them mapped out in a schedule, !

Yea, the 10% rule.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 15:06

CSS996 Re: Wednesday Chat 5-11-11
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Morning Gurus!

Lessee... T minus 9 days and counting...

I missed a phone call from Missouri this morning. No message. I assume it was one of you guys, but dunno. Sorry I missed it. I was in the shar.

Been slowly packing up my stuff around here, so it will be easier to GTFO for reals when I come back for my stuff in July/Aug. Kinda sad, packing up. Gotta stay focused on the good parts.

Sounds like a lot of us are getting the same gloomy weather. Windy and cold here today. Was supposed to get on the roof and look at the evap. cooler. No thanks! Maybe tomorrow. Don't wanna get blowed off the roof.

I hope everyone has a Guru-iffic day today!
Posted on: 2011/5/11 15:15

tjpreul Re: Wednesday Chat 5-11-11
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

I feel like I just won the lotto. I found an ATI balancer for my LT1 for $150. Earlier this week I bought a set of AFR's for $1200, that the guy was doing a LSx conversion. Its been a slow process, but will eventually be done.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 15:45

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

4543 Posts

Tyler... The AC Compressor arrived (sometime) Funny story. I have been getting at least three to five packages every day for the past three weeks from various auto related vendors. This is stuff for the car show. Well anyhow.. I have been wondering if you sent the compressor because I had not seen it come yet.

Apparently one day when I wasn't here, it was delivered and my wife stuck it in with the rest of the boxes that are now piled up in the living room. I didn't find it until yesterday before I left for my CC Meeting when I did an inventory of the goods.

Thanks so much. I'll try to get it cleaned up and installed this weekend. I hope it works after I put the clutch from my old one and get it re-charged.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 15:56

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Tyler... The AC Compressor arrived (sometime) Funny story. I have been getting at least three to five packages every day for the past three weeks from various auto related vendors. This is stuff for the car show. Well anyhow.. I have been wondering if you sent the compressor because I had not seen it come yet.

Apparently one day when I wasn't here, it was delivered and my wife stuck it in with the rest of the boxes that are now piled up in the living room. I didn't find it until yesterday before I left for my CC Meeting when I did an inventory of the goods.

Thanks so much. I'll try to get it cleaned up and installed this weekend. I hope it works after I put the clutch from my old one and get it re-charged.

I had tracked it to be sure it had arrived. I've been receiving parts too. Yesterday my timing chain arrived, but I didn't know what it was until I opened it. I'll be in DC in less than two weeks.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 16:14

4543 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
I'll be in DC in less than two weeks.

Where did you guys end up getting a hotel? It should be nice weather then. Too bad you won't be here on June 4th for the car show. We do have an Autocross on May 22nd! You could bring the family!
Posted on: 2011/5/11 16:22

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
I'll be in DC in less than two weeks.

Where did you guys end up getting a hotel? It should be nice weather then. Too bad you won't be here on June 4th for the car show. We do have an Autocross on May 22nd! You could bring the family!

Thats the day of her brother graduation, so you might not see me there. Unless I never want her to speak to me. Which wouldn't be bad somedays. We are staying at the Embassy Suites in CC. Where is the autocross going to be held?
Posted on: 2011/5/11 16:47

4543 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:

Thats the day of her brother graduation, so you might not see me there. Unless I never want her to speak to me. Which wouldn't be bad somedays. We are staying at the Embassy Suites in CC. Where is the autocross going to be held?

It's in Columbia, MD about 45 minutes from where you are staying in Chevy Chase. Chevy Chase is nice... talk about snooty! LOL only kidding, it will be great for vacation travel and visiting with friends. That area is the Rodeo drive of DC... All them fancy fashion designer stores and stuff like that.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 16:51

TommyT-Bone Re: Wednesday Chat 5-11-11
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Don, I luv ya even if you are a wine and cheese guy. Don't feel we are ganging up on you (even though it appears that way). Your club is lucky to have you. A club is only as good as it's membership. I am also a Corvette club president as well as the treasurer and recording secretary. Right now I am the only member and my wife holds an associate membership. Makes it easy to officiate. Only one possible dissenting voter.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 20:04

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

What a day ..... Started with a traffic laden delivery in downtown Miami a stones throw from The American Airlines Arena (Home of the Heat), the Port of Miami, Freedom Tower and part of the Miami Dade Community College North Campus. 2 hours to go about 40 miles. Less than an hour to get back to the nursery from downtown. That was nice. Alamo cleared us of any wrongdoing on the car rental in Boston last month. Got my credit card bill from last month. YOW! Lots af expenses and charges. A lot of travel related items and repair items on the Corvettes. I had 2 compressor issues on two cars within one month. Ka-Ching! I'm gonna have to lay low for a couple of months. Lucky for me that's how I planned it. I have plenty lined up to do that doesn't involve too many purchases.(Not counting anything I spend on the 928) Still getting jerked around waiting to find out if we get that property we put a bid on. The first bidder has 90 days to try and come up with the financing. We're just hoping the deal falls through for them and the bank doesn't qualify them. Not that I have any ill will toward them I just would really like to get that house.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 20:18

Huskerland
14738 Posts

What's the name of your club Tommy?

Don if I lived in your area I would be in your club. If you would have me of course.......is there a snooty test you have to pass?

I would even take off my Lone Wolf sticker.

Big storm just went through with lots of wind damage and some power lines down. We had some hail but not bad. Look out Brad it's coming your way and it's getting pissed off.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 20:22

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

After the delivery I mowed the grass at the nurseries than made a dump run. Did a full day today to open up more time the rest of the week for other projects at home. Never a dull day. More stuff to do than I have time and energy. That's the way it's supposed to be. I'm no couch potato.

Bill; When is the last time you refinished the patio deck? Just wondering.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 20:28

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

Hhhmmm .... Anybody have any good ideas?
Posted on: 2011/5/11 20:29

4543 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Don if I lived in your area I would be in your club. If you would have me of course.......is there a snooty test you have to pass?

Actually...................................................................................................................................... No.

I know that other local clubs require you attend at least three club functions and so many business meetings and organize at least one event before deciding if you can be a member. I hear they actually send you out of the room and take a vote... Oh my God. How embarrassing for the newbie! We don't do that, nor require anything more than your undying loyalty to the Bow Tie, Crossed Flags and Chevron!
Posted on: 2011/5/11 20:46

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I'm done for the day, cement board, tile...

It took 17 lbs (dry weight) of thinset to lay 14 tiles, geeze.

I'm beat enough that I'll have to take the pickup instead of the C4 to the casino.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 21:09

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Bill; When is the last time you refinished the patio deck? Just wondering.

Ahhhhhhhh, Ahhhhhhhh :tongue:

I want to work on my C2.

The freeking deck is like 1,000 sq.ft. and needs ALL the redwood replaced. Huge $$$$.

And paint won't stick to the old stuff no matter how many times you power wash it. The paint only lasts 9 months.

I did see some deck rejuvenator at HD the other day that's epoxy with maybe sand in it. It's a possibility......when I get ambitious.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 21:14

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

OOh, Yea! I do.......er, nevermind.
Posted on: 2011/5/11 21:15

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Don, believe it or not it was the best priced out of the ones we considered. Plus they had a hot breakfast and an indoor pool. Would you let me autox my rental car?
Posted on: 2011/5/11 21:29

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

T-Boners Corvettes
In The Doghouse Corvette Club
Guru For 2 Corvette Club
DEVO
My Other Car is a Porsche Corvette Club
Naptime Corvettes
Posted on: 2011/5/11 21:51

4543 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
Don, believe it or not it was the best priced out of the ones we considered. Plus they had a hot breakfast and an indoor pool. Would you let me autox my rental car?

It wouldn't be the first time and we let any make or model except trucks! Rent a sporty little car and bring out to kick some Corvette Ass!
Posted on: 2011/5/11 22:04

Huskerland
14738 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

Actually...................................................................................................................................... No.

We don't do that, nor require anything more than your undying loyalty to the Bow Tie, Crossed Flags and Chevron!

I totally qualify for that club!
Posted on: 2011/5/12 0:21

Matatk Re: Wednesday Chat 5-11-11
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Best one!
Posted on: 2011/5/12 2:41

vetteblondie Re: Wednesday Chat 5-11-11
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

Posted on: 2011/5/12 2:45

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

T-Boners Corvettes
In The Doghouse Corvette Club
Guru For 2 Corvette Club
DEVO
Naptime Corvettes

Bill, you kill me ....
Posted on: 2011/5/12 2:46

Resized Image

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

I finished "staining" the chairs. After staining them I took sandpaper to them to distress them a bit and then stained them again with the stain I used on the seats, so they tied together. I'm pleased with the results and the daughter is ecstatic.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/toms94/furniture/Heatherschairs010a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/toms94/furniture/Heatherschairs015a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/toms94/furniture/Heatherschairs016a.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2011/5/12 2:52

Resized Image

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Tomorrow I'll try and finish the chair bases. Seats I got sprayed tonight....I love lacquer.
Posted on: 2011/5/12 2:54

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Posted on: 2011/5/12 3:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.