Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
297 user(s) are online (267 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C3
Abbreviation for the 3rd generation of Corvettes built from 1968-1982....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

c4-zo7-91 your views on Royal purple synthetic oil please ??
Senior Guru
312 Posts

hi guys,
i was just wandering your views on Royal Purple synthetic oils please ??
i have brought a few months ago some 10w40 royal purple oil but have not used it yet !!
from what i have seen in varoius tests that it seems to provide good protection and increase in performance.
but then on other forums i have heard that royal purple is junk.
so im confused.
the weight oil i was looking at buying is a 10w40 weight oil to be installed in a new high compression 388 c.i worked stroker engine once the engine is run in .
so what do you reackon guys ??
surely oil companies dont make rubbish oil any more do they ??
a oil test done in street commodores in march 2006 showed the oil to come out on top out of shell,penzoil,titan,motul,penrite,elf,redline,castrol,valvoline e.c.t and had the lest wear in the test.
i just dont want to run crap oil in my new expensively built engine thats all
cheers
glen
Posted on: 2008/1/31 7:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CasetheCorvetteman RE:your views on Royal purple synthetic oil please ??
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Bullsh*t, i dont care what anyone says, royal purple is garbage.

It machines youre engine internals while you drive. What good is that? That is wear at its worst, and ive seen it 3 times first hand. Whoever did the test youre refering to is pulling themselves Glen, Royal Purple is sh*t mate.

Use Castrol and nothing else. That is all ive used my whole life, and ive never had an engine need rebuilding on me, and Castrol was the only oil used in the Benz i had well over 1 million genuine miles.
Posted on: 2008/1/31 11:19

runner140 RE:your views on Royal purple synthetic oil please ??
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

Can't reply on the merits of Royal Purple but I've got many trouble free miles on Mobil 1. Its cheap as hell (Walmart) sells for five qts for $21.95, works for me.
Posted on: 2008/1/31 12:41

c4-zo7-91 RE:your views on Royal purple synthetic oil please ??
Senior Guru
312 Posts

hi casey & runner 140,
thanks for the replies and your advise.
speaking of castrol oil case, iv brought castrol rx super non synthetic oil which is a diesel 15w40 oil for the break in procedure as i was told that dielsel oil is good for break ins as it is a cleaner oil with less ash and has other good properties in it!!
so would you reccoemend 5w30,10w 30/40 weight then once engine break in then please ??
thanks
cheers
glen
Posted on: 2008/1/31 18:26

MK 82 RE:your views on Royal purple synthetic oil please ??
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

This is one of those "opinions are like a$$holes" threads. My $.02 is Mobile 1 been berry berry good to me.
Posted on: 2008/1/31 18:50

SpeedHound RE:your views on Royal purple synthetic oil please ??
Registered Vendor
Social Circle, GA
119 Posts

here is a fun website. www.bobistheoilguy.com

I'll never use RP. I also know plenty of other people who won't either.

Amsoil is pretty much the best stuff on earth, and they've been making synthetic for longer than anyone. My personal preference is for Mobil 1 because I can get it everywhere and I've never had an issue. I really should become an Amsoil dealer though as I do like that stuff. Then it wouldn't be such a big deal to get.
Posted on: 2008/1/31 23:43

www.speedhound.com

LSx swap parts - performance - repairs - restoration

FATED RE:your views on Royal purple synthetic oil please ??
Guru Newb
Texas
157 Posts

I have been using Mobile 1 for about 30 years. It seems the bottom ends hold up real well but I have had trouble with valve guides. I was wondering if any one else had simular experience.
Posted on: 2008/2/1 4:02

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

I had an 86 L98 with 75000 miles that used Mobil 1 exclusively. When I tore it down to upgrade, it showed no wear and not a hint of a ridge in the cylinders.
Posted on: 2008/2/1 4:38

FATED RE:your views on Royal purple synthetic oil please ??
Guru Newb
Texas
157 Posts

Quote:
I had an 86 L98 with 75000 miles that used Mobil 1 exclusively. When I tore it down to upgrade, it showed no wear and not a hint of a ridge in the cylinders.

I asked this question because the guy I bought my C-4 from owned it since new and said he always used Moble 1 since new and it smokes on start. I had a BMW I ran 15 years on Moble 1 and the valve train was junk after 13800 miles. However when I bought it new that was the estimate the dealer gave me on the engine life. Seems I have seen lots of old Chevys go 200,00 miles on regular oil.
I guess I will run moble 1 when I install my new engine if no one else has a problem.
Posted on: 2008/2/1 22:07

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

My 86 would do a puff of smoke on startup. Valve stem seals. Has nothing to do with the oil. It did not use oil. I've used Mobil 1 in every vehicle I have owned for 25 years without one hint of a problem.

YMMV!
Posted on: 2008/2/1 23:43

Notorious RE:your views on Royal purple synthetic oil please ??
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
here is a fun website. www.bobistheoilguy.com

Exactly what I was going to post. You'll get nearly as many opinions as replies to a question like this. This is the definitive source for scientific info, testing and etc. re/ automotive lubricants.
Although it has nothing to do with your question and I have no experience with their motor oils, I've used their racing synthetic power steering oil in my Vette for several years now. No problems, no leaks and it cured the "cold morning rack" stiffness issue. Original rack with 125K miles on it.
Posted on: 2008/2/1 23:54

Danspeed1 RE:your views on Royal purple synthetic oil please ??
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Quote:
This is one of those "opinions are like a$$holes" threads. My $.02 is Mobile 1 been berry berry good to me.

I agree. This is one of those questions where there are an infinte amount of opinions. You could spend a year trying to figure out which is the best and still not come up with an answer.

The factory fill for the Corvette is Mobile 1. A couple of years back they had an issue with changes that needed to be made (I believe) as per federal regulations? That got cleared up as far as I know. Also, mobil 1 tends to thin out more than, lets say, Castrol, so you may notice a decrease in oil pressure. Not really an issue either.

Bottom line, it may be a new engine, but its not a Nasa rocket. I haven't personally heard anything bad about Royal Purple except for "haters," who had an uncle, who had a brother, whose friend was running it, and he had a problem. In my opinion though, the best alternative is my first choice, Castol Syntec, followed by Mobil 1. Both have good reputations and both can be bought ANYWHERE over the counter for a reasonable price, which is important at times. I like to change my oil every 3000 Miles or 3 months on my V8's and on the V6 every 5K.

Watch what you use for break in, when we put the new engine in the C3 I had put Rotella in to break it in and was told that, that was the wrong oil to use, for reasons I can't remember. I think I was told Chevron 10-40 was a better choice.

DG
Posted on: 2008/2/2 5:35
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Senior Guru
312 Posts

hi guys,
thanks for your continued replies.
i heard that Amsoil is a good oil as well as mobil1 and castrol.
is that true ??
what weight oil should i get ??,5w-30 or 10w-40 then on a rebuilt engine as far as performance and all round protection??
thanks
glen
Posted on: 2008/2/2 22:20

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

How about using what the owners manual suggests?

P.S. How is the roller block coming?
Posted on: 2008/2/2 22:29

Senior Guru
312 Posts

hi droptopce,
how are ya!
what is the factory owner maunual say ??
i think i will go 10w-40 weight oil once broken in wheather that be mobil1,castrol syntec, or amsoil oil
buy yeah the build is slowly coming along and getting block that has been full machined up on wednesday coming.
block is a 4 bolt roller block,
i brought all forged parts such as forged light weight 6" h beam rods,forged light weight stroker crank,forged light weigh probe flat top pistons,arp heads studs and crank studs,clevite 77 heavy duty crank,cam,rod bearings, perfect circle plasma moly low tension rings,canton 7 quart oil pan, power force 6" light weight street balancer,15 lb single mass flwheel,all arp bolts thru out,will be buying afr ported comp 195 cc heads soon,fit the 8 x50 mm diam throttle body intake on there,heltech tuneable ecm stand along system,1.6 raio rollers,rhoades roller lifters,cloyes true double roller sprockets/chain,csr electric water pump,corteco head gaskets,30 lb fms injectors,but upgrading to 42 lb injectors soon,cam is a comp cam 236/242 duration@.50",292/300 advanced duration,111 lobe sep,.585/590" lift,billet core with small base circle,msd igntion dist and coil,180 degree stat,195 degree fan switch,
will be running 11:5:1 compression ratio,long 1/3/4" headers,x-pipe,true dual 2.5" mandrel bend pipes with high flow cats and magnaflow rears ,255 l/ph fuel pump.
with 6 speed and b&m short throw shifter.
all should be good for around 500 rear wheel horspower and 11 sec car!!!!
cheers
glen
Posted on: 2008/2/2 23:43

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Is this a gen I block?

What is this engine going in?

Are you EMO-VET?
Posted on: 2008/2/3 0:14

Senior Guru
312 Posts

yep it is a gen 1 roller block ,
going in a 1991 zo7 coupe.
yes i am or was emo-vet, i came under name of shae my second son.

glen
Posted on: 2008/2/3 2:38

SpeedHound RE:your views on Royal purple synthetic oil please ??
Registered Vendor
Social Circle, GA
119 Posts

Yes amsoil, castrol, or mobil 1 will be fine oils to use. You'll be fine using 10w-30 I bet. Check with the engine builder if all this questioning is for that engine.

Since it was mentioned, I'll say something else sort of off topic but not. If you have a flat tappet cam engine(that's old school non roller cams, 84-85 and early 86 for C4s) do not use regular dino oil in the engine unless you add Comp Cams additive or Crane's additive. Diesel motor oil is easily purchased almost anywhere oil for gas engines is available. Diesel oil would be my personal choice so as to not worry about having the additive on hand.
Posted on: 2008/2/4 2:33

www.speedhound.com

LSx swap parts - performance - repairs - restoration

CentralCoaster RE:your views on Royal purple synthetic oil please ??
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:
Use Castrol and nothing else. That is all ive used my whole life, and ive never had an engine need rebuilding on me, and Castrol was the only oil used in the Benz i had well over 1 million genuine miles.

And you seriously think Castrol hasn't changed their recipe during your lifespan? I used to use it in all my cars, now I'm using the leftover bottles in my lawnmower.
Posted on: 2008/2/5 5:11

NC Kid RE:your views on Royal purple synthetic oil please ??
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

And you seriously think Castrol hasn't changed their recipe during your lifespan? I used to use it in all my cars, now I'm using the leftover bottles in my lawnmower.

I think you once called it "Crapstrol"
Posted on: 2008/2/5 17:45

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

Did i say that? I dont recall it if i did, and since i know for a fact they have changed it and it is written on the bottle, i wouldnt state otherwise.

I havent ever heard of an issue with Castrol. Its always worked for me, so ill continue to trust it. The stuff sold on the shelf here is the same stuff used in many of the V8 Supercars, and its not called Syntec. I dont know if its the same of not. Its not made in the US.

I have seen first hand the effects of Royal Purple, im not the only one, there are many that have, there has been many posts on the subject and there have been quite a few others also say they saw the same effects i have seen, and i have no reason to doubt their credibility.

Im not a "hater" as it was put, i really couldnt care less if they want to claim their oil is so great it machines your engine while you drive, i simply dont trust the stuff. That doesnt make me a "hater", it makes me someone that doesnt believe the hype. Now ofcourse there is always going to be people that DO believe the hype, and good for them if they do, its their choice.

If you want to machine your engine internals while you drive, add a pint of Brasso with your oil. The internals will gleem like barstards, and youll get the Royal Purple effect at half the price.
Quote:
so would you reccoemend 5w30,10w 30/40 weight then once engine break in then please ??
thanks
cheers
glen

No worries Glen, but i think the best advice you could get is from the person that built your engine, cause they should know what is best for it, i cant see any issue with using 5w30 myself, but i dont know what youve got there, and i really wouldnt like to guess at what might be best for the engine. The owner's manual recomendation is pretty much void, cause that particular recomendation is based on the engine fitted to the vehicle as it left the factory.

Im not sure of anywhere to buy Amsoil in Australia.
Posted on: 2008/2/6 8:46

Senior Guru
312 Posts

hi casey,
thanks for the reply back mate!
yeah what i will do is run the thing in on castrol diesel oil for 1,000 km ,change filter at say 200 km, then change oil at 500 km ,then change to amsoil 10w/40 synthetic and run k&n oil filter.
i can get amsoil here from Lubrication managment here where i live.
his name is bill reid,phone 03, 97940700,mob 0409 545 990.
he said it will cost $ 14.30 per litre.
i will be neededing 7 litres as i have brought a larger oil sump pan now.
cheers mate
glen
Posted on: 2008/2/6 13:15

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

No worries Glen, if you can get it, may as well use it, at that price its about the same cost as 5w30 Mobil 1 over here.
Posted on: 2008/2/7 7:52

pappyfreebird RE:your views on Royal purple synthetic oil please ??
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

mobil dino in 4 wheels n kendall in 2 wheels ...ain nevo had n oil related prolem that i know of...i figured id run 10.40 mobil dino in vet since they run hot...unless ya can prove otherwise
Posted on: 2008/2/7 13:14

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Pappy, they run no hotter than any other Chevy V8.
Posted on: 2008/2/8 7:15

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

yer right case....the more i pay attention the hotter all these new fangled cars run....geeze we have a 06 grandprix n runs like 220....my sons Lt1 trans runs like a vet 225 er so...dayum they really squeez the mileage by lean n heat heyhuh! my lil 4 door s10 pickup still is normal...bout 197... i jus wish sno would melt so i could drive the dayum thing... i really need a putt on my skooters...n wanna try n pull this targa top off n see ifn i can put it on right etc...lotsa things to play with if ever warms up...spring fevor yea yea i got it bad!!!
Posted on: 2008/2/8 14:26

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Well clean your cooling systems. My LT1 runs at 190-195 all the time, stock thermostat, stock radiator, stock water pump. Nothing hot about that, cause standard operating temp on most engines is just over 200*F.
Posted on: 2008/2/8 18:10

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The normal operating temp is between your tstat rating and your fan operating point. For any car. Any car with electric fans will run "hot".

Well... the LT1 is a bit of an exception since the stat is on the inlet side.
Posted on: 2008/2/8 22:38

sprint7677 RE:your views on Royal purple synthetic oil please ??
Senior Guru
Oxford, Pa
127 Posts

Been using Mobil 1, no problems but how many people have oil rated problems if they change their oil on a regular basis no matter what they use?
Posted on: 2008/2/8 23:14

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Quote:
Been using Mobil 1, no problems but how many people have oil rated problems if they change their oil on a regular basis no matter what they use?

Amen!! Oil threads are as bad as thermostat threads!
Posted on: 2008/2/8 23:45

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

Its quite simple. Ive said it all in my previous posts in this thread. I can only guess you didnt read that bit or you didnt follow what ive said.
Quote:

HAHAHA!! Now thats good coming from someone that started a throttle body size thread!!
Posted on: 2008/2/9 0:41

Strick RE:your views on Royal purple synthetic oil please ??
Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

There is a problem with the new formulas in most oils used today. They removed the Zinc and manganese which is so important for flat tappet cam shaft break ins and camshaft life. Rollers, no problem. Shell's Rotella T still has these additives and is suggested for use with Comp Cams flat tappet set ups in place of their break in oil additive. For us the price is about the same. The only thing you have to do is change your oil at least every 3,000 miles. Roller guys, stay with the synthetics.
Posted on: 2008/2/9 1:18

Senior Guru
312 Posts

Quote:

DropTopCE,
i dont see a oil thread as so bad.
bad in what way i ask you??,that there are so many different opiouns ???
im not going to risk sh#it oil im my $ 8,000 race engine and not ask stupid questions about oil.
it is a important subject as far as im concerned!!!
oil is the life of a engine.
and im glad i asked this about the machine oil such as the royal sh#it oil.
and thanks to all have replied and commeneted about this!!!
thanks
glen
Posted on: 2008/2/9 9:50

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Quote:
HAHAHA!! Now thats good coming from someone that started a throttle body size thread!!

Show me another throttle body size thread on this forum.
Posted on: 2008/2/9 19:02

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

DropTopCE,
i dont see a oil thread as so bad.
bad in what way i ask you??,that there are so many different opiouns ???
im not going to risk sh#it oil im my $ 8,000 race engine and not ask stupid questions about oil.
it is a important subject as far as im concerned!!!
oil is the life of a engine.
and im glad i asked this about the machine oil such as the royal sh#it oil.
and thanks to all have replied and commeneted about this!!!
thanks
glen

I meant that you get the usual " my brand is great and the only one to use and everything else is crap." Has this thread cleared anything up for you?
Posted on: 2008/2/9 19:05

fnsblum RE:your views on Royal purple synthetic oil please ??
Guru Newb
Nothern Utah
32 Posts

StricK, I am sitting here going over my oil analysis/report history on my Duramax. Blackstone did six analysis for me from 9-04 through 3-07. Three were Rotella 15-40, one Rotella Synthetic 5-40, one Mobil 1 5-40 and one Amsoil 15-40 synthetic. All of these have zero manganese. There is plenty of zinc though. The mileage varied from 5600 to 7500.

Not one of the above oils tested any better than the rest. I have done all my oil changes for the last 47 years. The only oil I ever had a problem with was the old non-detergents in the early sixties. MHO is there are no bad name brand oils. As little as 6% fuel in the oil will take 40 weight down to 20 weight. It doesn't take much antifreeze to destroy the bearings. There is no way to say the oil caused a problem with out having it analyzed.

I just bought my Vette the first week in Nov. It has Mobil 1 in it. I plan to have it analyzed at 4 or 5K miles. I will probably replace it with one of the 5-40 synthetics. This will give me a baseline for future test. Later! Frank
Posted on: 2008/2/9 19:41

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

I shouldnt have to, its been done to death on other forums.

The thing about oils is that oils aint oils, and not every engine wants the same thing, so the question then gets asked what will suit that particular engine, which is what has been the case here.
Posted on: 2008/2/9 22:37

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

I shouldnt have to, its been done to death on other forums.

The thing about oils is that oils aint oils, and not every engine wants the same thing, so the question then gets asked what will suit that particular engine, which is what has been the case here.

Go back and read the post. I asked if anyone knew someone who bored out throttle bodies and asked about a vendor. It was not my intention to start a debate on the merits of a larger throttle body.
Posted on: 2008/2/9 22:50

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Quote:

The thing about oils is that oils aint oils.

You lost me there. What are they?
Posted on: 2008/2/10 2:19

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Case is trying to say that "oil is oil" isn't quite true.
Posted on: 2008/2/10 10:26

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

well i agree wid drop t on oil ....opinions r like azzholes....the great oil debate is jus that ....and no its nawt a siccorazzed question either...but like on bike motors cars tractors what have ya...how was it drivin ...when was it changed..i feel is mo impotent the what kind..granted syns a better at high temps...but in ol hogs that run st 50 weight the syns create mo leaks etc n less ring seal...fer more blow by .. there i jus hadda open my mouth too
Posted on: 2008/2/10 18:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.