Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
247 user(s) are online (197 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Stingray
1969 through 1976 Corvette.

Not to be confused with the Sting Ray, 1963 - 1967....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CorvetteBob Helping Daughter find a newer car
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

price discussion for what she wants

Low mileage not for that money...

Look at the dealers inventory

Ok now I found what we're after

Now she wants something else?!?!
Posted on: 2011/12/27 1:27

Ultraman Re: Helping Daughter find a newer car
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14750 Posts

I always made my daughters drive small tanks......and since I was buying they didn't have much say in it.....I have both of mine in a pair of Envoys. Both suv's have not had much for trouble....I think they wanted Corvettes......
Posted on: 2011/12/27 1:42

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Helping Daughter find a newer car
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Autotrader.com private owners? Usually the better pricing but mechanical inspections, maintenance history and carfax are a must. It's better to learn upfront rather than a couple of months down the road what you got yourself into. Car searches are overwhelming. You have to go through a lot of rough before you find the diamond. A lot of "too much for that" too. Good luck.
Posted on: 2011/12/27 2:35

Durango_Boy Re: Helping Daughter find a newer car
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

We're helping Sarah's 17 year old Sister pick her first car. She's been saving for quite a while and is about to the point of buying.

We're helping her look, and we think we want her in an early 2000 Subaru sedan. Being she lives in Kentucky but might move for college...we have to plan for any climate while still being mindful of fuel economy for a college student.

The all wheel drive benefit gives her year round driving in all different kinds of weather while the economy is still present if she ends up in a warm climate.

She's a good kid, and I think will appreciate having a car instead of a truck of SUV...even a little sporty so she won't feel like a tool. LOL.
Posted on: 2011/12/27 13:50

bogus Re: Helping Daughter find a newer car
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

a lot depends on what the girls like of cars is.

Is she one of the rare birds that actually is INTO cars? If so, then the selection may take more time...

If not, something cute might just serve the purpose.

Will she be doing distance driving? Lots of highway, or local? Will she be driving to college, then parking it for extended periods?

What have you looked at so far?

A few thoughts:

* Avoid Pre-2009 Ford products. They had issues with QC, but went a long way towards fixing them. If you get a newer Ford, avoid the "Sync" feature. I have heard nightmarish stories about it.

* Avoid full size trucks... all three have had issues with QC and stupid problems. The best, in my opinion, is the Dodge with the Cummins. And they suck gas.

* I do like the mid-sized Toyota truck. The so-called "Pre-Runner" is pretty trick.

* Does she drive a stick or an automatic? I would avoid something with an auto... modern automatics just don't seem to be as durable for some reason.

* I am a big fan of the Subaru WRX. Quick, nimble, good in bad weather. Just don't buy a used one. I am not so much a fan of the Mitsubishi Evo, it's quicker, more nimble, but has a history of being fragile. As what DB said, the rest of the Subaru line is nice, too, but consider a manual transmission.

* Honda... best to get something from the earlier part of the decade, and avoid automatics. The car I recommend is the 5th generation Prelude, but get it with a 5spd manual. The SS automatic was a piece of shit. The 5spd will last over 300k miles, the SS auto might make it 65k. The rest of the car will make it 300k. Great handling, great performance, excellent build, fair interior space. nearly 30mpg highway.

* Toyota... can't go wrong, but they are boring as hell. Celica GTS with a manual is a fun car, but they can be trashed. Camry, Corolla, etc, meh. Nice, quality built, BORING AS HELL.

* Kia Soul. Cute. And has hamsters in the ads.

* GM... I have an issue with older GM products. They just don't seem to be that well built. Durability, dealer support... bad taste there. Newer stuff seems much nicer. The new Chevy Sonic is pretty cool...

* Avoid anything made in Europe. They are seriously expensive to fix, period. Even VW. Forget it when you start dealing with the premium brands - Audi, MB, BMW, Volvo and Range Rover. Expensive junk.

* I am not a fan of SUVs for young drivers. First, they handle like shit and inexperienced drivers have a tendency to overreact to conditions. Secondly, many have been shown to collapse front suspensions right into the drivers foot area, causing serious foot and leg injuries. Modern cars are very safe in accidents, so don't get all wrapped up in the "big SUV for my baby" garbage. Side bar: Dec 1998. Just dropped my then gf off at the Philly airport. Drove back down through Wilmington, DE, and over the bridge at the C&D canal on Rt 1. As I drove down the departure side (south bound) the weather, already snowing, turned slick and the traffic was stopped. Turned out there were two accidents within the next 5 miles... BOTH were caused by SUV drivers - all vehicles involved were SUVs!!! People get brave and don't know how to drive when they think they are invincible.

* If you DO want a large car, look at a Crown Victoria or Grand Marquee. These are well built, nice driving cars. If not a bit dull. You can also step up to the Lincoln Town Car. There is a reason why this chassis is so popular with livery services - they LAST. FOREVER. 300k plus miles is not unheard of. The other upside, they get reasonable highway mileage, and with the V8, move along the highway nicely.

I am sure I missed some stuff...
Posted on: 2011/12/27 17:44

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BillH Re: Helping Daughter find a newer car
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

* Avoid full size trucks... all three have had issues with QC and stupid problems. The best, in my opinion, is the Dodge with the Cummins. And they suck gas.

I have to take issue with that Andy, at least on Chevys.

Anyway, What a boatload of grils drive out here - pickups, large and small.

Half of them have window stickers: "Silly Cowboys, Pickups are for Girls"
Posted on: 2011/12/27 22:07

j3studio Re: Helping Daughter find a newer car
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Just so you know, used cars are crazily expensive right now.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/new-vs-used-car-buying.html
Posted on: 2011/12/27 22:58

Huskerland
14750 Posts

Sorry Andy, I can't go along with you on this one.....

Here I will let Amy tell it like it is......and I will say it again....put your kids in something big they will have a better chance of surviving......screw the fuel costs....

http://www.nationalcenter.org/NPA453.html
Posted on: 2011/12/28 0:35

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

With driving experience. I am saying that for teen drivers, it's a crap shoot. I have seen enough young drivers in SUVs flip'm and wreck'm so easily...
Posted on: 2011/12/28 0:57

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

Here I will let Amy tell it like it is......and I will say it again....put your kids in something big they will have a better chance of surviving......screw the fuel costs....

I am a firm believer in physics. I am also a firm believer in avoidance... and your average SUV doesn't have the dynamics to avoid. Crossovers, sure, but body-on-frame SUVs, not so much.

It is also why I am not a fan of older/classic cars for young drivers. No brakes and zero crash protection.
Posted on: 2011/12/28 1:00

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

I know a lot of people who have had a lot of problems with stupid QC issues on all three brands. The Chevy, mostly the diesels, are prone to early and expensive breakdowns. My former neighbour has one and has had all sorts of issues with fuel delivery and such.

Ford trucks had a run there in the early part of the decade where trim pieces would fall off and overall quality issues. Many of these were fixed, but it still begs the question of long term durability.

This is one area where consumer reports is pretty accurate.

I will also add, I am not a huge fan of the newer Corvettes. All the computer controls are causing some of the weirdest glitches... doors that won't open, keys that won't come out, steering wheels that won't turn, fuel that won't pump... I heard of one car, I think it was a Vette, where the memory seats forgot, and kept going forward and wouldn't stop until pinning the driver to the wheel! I would hate that. These are issues that started with the inception of the C5 and some were never fully resolved. Such as the steer lock issue... it was fixed when owners totally disabled the function! What about issues C4 owners have with the PKE and the FX3/F45 suspension systems?

If I was buying a new car today, I would have to hunt for the most basic version of the car I could find. I don't want a built in GPS... impossible to upgrade and stuck in one car. I hate this new integration of audio/GPS/Climate/car function in one computer controlled screen. What happens when that breaks? I know - YOUR BONED.

I keep a car for years, and I don't want to be stuck retrofitting some fix or lamenting a $6000 computer modules melt down.
Posted on: 2011/12/28 1:08

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

I know a lot of people who have had a lot of problems with stupid QC issues on all three brands. The Chevy, mostly the diesels, are prone to early and expensive breakdowns. My former neighbour has one and has had all sorts of issues with fuel delivery and such.

OK, maybe for diesels. Most guys I talk to don't have any complaints. Gotta say, my Silverado's never been in the shop. At 140k, 2 EGR check valves and 2 cats. Uses zero oil, etc. I consider that excellent.
Posted on: 2011/12/28 2:49

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax diesel. Absolutely no major issues over a 6 year period. We love it. Reliable as the day is long. We must be lucky (for a change)
Posted on: 2011/12/28 4:23

CorvetteBob Re: Helping Daughter find a newer car
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

WOW!!!!

I never anticipated such a set of responses!!!

Since the opening post, we bought a car. BTW, the cost came from grandparents money, so the choice was basically hers. Wife and I just set limits on cost. Now, to announce the purchase..........(drum roll).........

We got a 2010 Impala w/ 24k miles, GM certified for 14k out the door. Personally, I think we did pretty good. Silver, black interior, alloy wheels, remote start. We pick it up in the AM.
Posted on: 2011/12/28 5:06

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The newer GM cars are pretty well screwed together. KPotter has a late model Impala and it has treated him pretty darned good.

A little boring for my tastes, but if it fits her needs, then go for it!
Posted on: 2011/12/28 7:44

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax diesel. Absolutely no major issues over a 6 year period. We love it. Reliable as the day is long. We must be lucky (for a change)

My neighbours is a 2002.
Posted on: 2011/12/28 7:44

Huskerland
14750 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

The LLY engine in the 2005 and some late 2004's was the first Duramax that did not have to have the heads tore off to deal with a bad injector. The 2005 had a restrictive air inlet manifold that would cause them to heat up on a hot day pulling a load. This happened to us when we were pulling the toy hauler up to the Black Hills. Had to run 50 mph to keep the engine temps down. 101 outside temp with a headwind towing a 10K lb shoebox......only time it ever did it. After market had a lot of fixes for that problem. 150K when it was stolen and wrecked.

My 07 no problems for 80K. The thing about the new trucks is the Urea injection to clean up the soot. I think I will hate that before its over.

The early Duramaxes 2001 to 2004 could have some glitches but they are way better then what Ford offered back then. The Dodge Cummins is very relieable but the early versions are so noisy.......

We work them very hard and have had very little if any down time and it is the towing truck of preference at the campground..........just saying.
Posted on: 2011/12/28 12:05

Huskerland
14750 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

It is also why I am not a fan of older/classic cars for young drivers. No brakes and zero crash protection.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 12:08

Huskerland
14750 Posts

Quote:

CorvetteBob wrote:
WOW!!!!

We got a 2010 Impala w/ 24k miles, GM certified for 14k out the door. Personally, I think we did pretty good. Silver, black interior, alloy wheels, remote start. We pick it up in the AM.

Ya she will like that and it has some structure to it....good choice I'm thinking.........post up a pic....
Posted on: 2011/12/28 12:13

Durango_Boy Re: Helping Daughter find a newer car
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

With driving experience. I am saying that for teen drivers, it's a crap shoot. I have seen enough young drivers in SUVs flip'm and wreck'm so easily...

Let's not forget to mention depth perception and awareness of surroundings.

I have never dated a girl that could drive my Durango. This includes my Mom and my Grandma...I didn't date them you sickos but my point is that there is a small percentage of female drivers that simply cannot safely operate a large vehicle like a truck or SUV. Heck my Durango isn't even a full size SUV.

The females that have tried to drive my Durango have no way to judge distance for parking and maneuvering, and they can't keep track of what is around them and where those obstacles are in relation to the vehicle.

I don't mean to be sexist, but it's what I have seen with my own experiences. As far as young female drivers...give them something with a manageable size, decent all weather driving, safety without girth, and fuel economy.

I do not suggest putting a young driver in a classic. Yeah it's cool to wish that for them and even if they are good drivers...the kids they hang out with and drive with may not be.
Posted on: 2011/12/28 13:38

flyboy Re: Helping Daughter find a newer car
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

We bought an '08 new for the wife. She loves it, no issues at all.
My criticisms: "A" pillar kind of thick, seats too hard for my tender butt, brake pedal placement requires too much foot lift and I snag my shoe on the E-brake pedal on entry and exit.
Tight as a drum though, rides great, peppy 3.5, good mileage, nice paint, I really like the styling. I think it will probably last forever, only putting 7k on it annually.
Also it's big enough to be safe.
Posted on: 2011/12/28 13:45

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Let's not forget to mention depth perception and awareness of surroundings.

I have never dated a girl that could drive my Durango. This includes my Mom and my Grandma...I didn't date them you sickos but my point is that there is a small percentage of female drivers that simply cannot safely operate a large vehicle like a truck or SUV. Heck my Durango isn't even a full size SUV.

The females that have tried to drive my Durango have no way to judge distance for parking and maneuvering, and they can't keep track of what is around them and where those obstacles are in relation to the vehicle.

I don't mean to be sexist, but it's what I have seen with my own experiences. As far as young female drivers...give them something with a manageable size, decent all weather driving, safety without girth, and fuel economy.

I do not suggest putting a young driver in a classic. Yeah it's cool to wish that for them and even if they are good drivers...the kids they hang out with and drive with may not be.

I know a bunch of girls that would debate that DB.......nut they all drive racecars.

Young female vs young male drivers? Gender don't matter. many have no concept of what's going on but that's what's happening on the street anyway so, age don't matter.

What can be done with a younger driver - The TireRack Street Survival School put on bt SCCA and BMW. Extremely inexpensive and effective.
Our 2011 class:

Attach file:

png  obj438geo431pg16p15.png (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2011/12/28 14:10

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Hate to say it Bill but a lot of those women out there look like guys.
Posted on: 2011/12/28 14:27

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Hate to say it Bill but a lot of those women out there look like guys.

A bunch of em are autocrossers, so I could..............nevermind.
Posted on: 2011/12/28 14:34

KPotter Re: Helping Daughter find a newer car
Elite Guru
Cuyahoga Falls OH
1072 Posts

Quote:

CorvetteBob wrote:
WOW!!!!

Since the opening post, we bought a car. BTW, the cost came from grandparents money, so the choice was basically hers. Wife and I just set limits on cost. Now, to announce the purchase..........(drum roll).........

In my opinion, excellent choice. I bought my 2003 Impala in 2006 with less than 25k miles on it. It now has 165k and runs like a champ. I will probably be looking for another one or something else in that same GM line before too long.
Posted on: 2011/12/28 16:05

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

KPotter wrote:
Quote:

CorvetteBob wrote:
WOW!!!!

In my opinion, excellent choice. I bought my 2003 Impala in 2006 with less than 25k miles on it. It now has 165k and runs like a champ. I will probably be looking for another one or something else in that same GM line before too long.

There ya go,Bob.
With all the Guru hupla,
Ken confirms that you made the right choice.
Without our help!
Posted on: 2011/12/28 16:47

zoe6 Re: Helping Daughter find a newer car
Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

I started driving in 1995 in the winter time. My Dad give me the keys to his 1975 Dodge Power Wagon W250. It was one of his construction trucks. Talk about a tank! a beast!,gas guzzling 360 4bbl with headers. I was so embarrassed to drive this monster to high school. That soon ended the day we had a lake effect snow storm during the school day and most students with regular cars were stranded in the school parking lot and many had to spend the night in the gym. I on the other hand powered my way through drifts, roads that were literally drifted shut and white outs to get home. Dads seem to understand and know whats best for their kids, That spring I got a one owner low mileage Pontiac Grand Prix, not quite the tank the Dodge was but still a substancal vehicle.
Posted on: 2011/12/28 21:20

Matatk Re: Helping Daughter find a newer car
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Young female vs young male drivers? Gender don't matter. many have no concept of what's going on but that's what's happening on the street anyway so, age don't matter.

That's the truth. Except boys are probably worse since they tend to be more adventurous/aggressive new drivers.
Posted on: 2011/12/29 0:56

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

That's the truth. Except boys are probably worse since they tend to be more adventurous/aggressive new drivers.

The teenage girls are way easier to instruct in the Street Survival Schools after they get over sliding their Tahoe for the first time. They take instructuon well.

The teenage guys are.............teenage guys, most don't seem to get it.
Posted on: 2011/12/29 1:51

Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

I think teenage girls do take instruction better! Especially when your Dad starts his version of Driver Ed. when your 12. Guys have something to prove! girls don't. For most guys the car is an extension of themselves and a lot of their self-esteem is in their car or truck. After saying that my first ticket was drag racing a guy with my Dads S10 with a zz4 under the hood. This poor guy was really humilated in front of his buddies with his 92 Firebird. I guess if I had it to do over again I would have let him win. He really took a lot of crap over it.
Posted on: 2011/12/29 3:00

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

zoe6 wrote:
I guess if I had it to do over again I would have let him win. He really took a lot of crap over it.

No, no, no, never ever do that.

I know a bunch of girl racers who couldn't even contemplate that thought.

Most of them think " I may be a girl but I can kick your ass."
Posted on: 2011/12/29 3:06

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

zoe6 wrote:
I guess if I had it to do over again I would have let him win. He really took a lot of crap over it.

Donna once said to me "You're almost as fast as I am." So I had to go out and run an identical lap time. She never let anybody win.

Attach file:

jpg  announce_donna_email.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2011/12/29 3:13

Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

zoe6 wrote:

Totally understand! When Vetron found out he said the same thing. "never feel that way he needed his ass kicked" oh and BTW your paying for the ticket. Little did he know I was on a pretrial deversion. The police officer had
Dad as his Auto Shop teacher. Pretrial deversion was a way to keep your drive record clean and you would promise not to get another ticket for anything for 1 year or the points would be added to your license.
This guy with the Firebird really took crap from Tampons hanging off his windows and mirrors to panties covering up his license plate which he was stopped for. Guys! go figure.
Posted on: 2011/12/29 3:25

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

zoe6 wrote:

That must be the school my wife went to.

My wifes older brother used to fight with her. She went on to become a mud wrestling champion (really) and later married a biker. She still competes in everything she does.
Don't change Erin. Kick ass and take names. Make your husband miserable.
Posted on: 2011/12/29 23:42

Huskerland
14750 Posts

Ya Erin, that goes for me too.....I tell my girls to look em in the eye and let'em know what's coming......hell hath no fury like my girls if you mess with them.....and if there is anything left of the poor kid they will get a lesson in foundational Christian love from me........Son...if you know how to pray this may be a good time for you to begin........lol.
Posted on: 2011/12/30 0:09

Huskerland
14750 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

zoe6 wrote:

Donna once said to me "You're almost as fast as I am." So I had to go out and run an identical lap time. She never let anybody win.

Geez for a second I though Erin posted a pic of her and the Z car........
Posted on: 2011/12/30 0:11

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

Geez for a second I though Erin posted a pic of her and the Z car........

www.39dollarglasses.com

That's a Miata,for gawd's sake, the starter motor on Erin's car is faster than that red thing.

But the driver was part of the team when we ran a 25 hour endurance race.
Posted on: 2011/12/30 0:23

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.