Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
298 user(s) are online (273 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  National Corvette Museum
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Daily Chat 07.31.12
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Good mawnin!
Posted on: 2012/7/31 11:13
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Daily Chat 07.31.12
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

There goes Tommy, sniping the chat again

End of July already. I can't believe it. Went by fast.

I had no wife and kids last night so I decided to wash the vette. After I washed it I decided to wax it. First time ever. Seriously. I've had other people do it before because I used to hate waxing my cars, but it wasn't bad at all. Went pretty quick. Turned out nice and smooth and shiny. I used either Mother's or Mequire's carnuba cleaner wax. Of course that means this morning it was pouring rain at 4 am...lol. Guess I'll drive the truck.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew

Posted on: 2012/7/31 11:17

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Back is feeling better today after sleeping on the heat pad last night. I had been taking tylenol for pain and thought it helped with inflammation, turns out it doesn't. I never knew that. Here's a good reference list I found:

http://voices.yahoo.com/aspirin-ibupr ... hen-difference-28909.html

Pain Reliever: Aspirin
Over-the-counter brands: Bayer, Bufferin
Ah, good old aspirin - or acetylsalicylic acid, as the science-savvy call it. The first over-the-counter pain reliever to see mass production, aspirin gets absorbed into the bloodstream and essentially "looks" for prostaglandins, substances that are concentrated where we feel pain. In short, aspirin reacts with our blood chemistry to inhibit the enzyme cyclooxygenase, which in turns limits the volume of prostaglandins. As you undoubtedly know, aspirin is used to treat headaches of all sizes, to quell minor body aches and pains, and to reduce inflammation when we're sore. But what are the problems with aspirin as an over-the-counter pain reliever? Among other things, it's rough on the upper digestive tract (can cause upset stomach, heartburn, and even dyspepsia), it's bad for hemophiliacs (because it's an anticoagulant), and it's not always safe for kids (because it's linked to Reye's syndrome). That said, aspirin is still the most common over-the-counter pain reliever, available in both brand names and generic versions. And now it's also playing a role in the treatment of heart disease.

Pain Reliever: Ibuprofen
Over-the-counter brands: Motrin, Advil
Ibuprofen is chemically similar to regular aspirin and functions in an analogous way, minimizing the production of prostaglandins, though it accomplishes this with slightly different chemical reactions. So how is ibuprofen different from aspirin? In lower doses, ibuprofen seems to irritate the esophagus and stomach lining less than its close cousins, aspirin and naproxen. If you have ulcers or acid reflux disease, ibuprofen may be the best product for pain clearly resulting from inflammation (arthritis, sprains, sunburns, etc.).

Pain Reliever: Naproxen
Over-the-counter brands: Aleve
Although it is used for headaches, naproxen is especially effective as an anti-inflammatory agent. For arthritis, sprains, sunburns, and other inflammation-based pain, naproxen seems to edge its competition. Many women suffering from menstrual cramps also report that naproxen is more effective than standard aspirin (but as a man, I can't really confirm that!). The other difference between naproxen and its chemical kin? Similar doses of this over-the-counter pain reliever tend to last longer - often for 8-12 hours instead of 4-8 hours.

Pain Reliever: Acetaminophen (sometimes called paracetamol)
Over-the-counter brands: Tylenol
As they used to sing on Sesame Street: "One of these things is not like the other things!" And such is the case for acetaminophen. This pain reliever lowers fevers and soothes headaches effectively, but it is NOT an anti-inflammatory substance. As a result, it won't do much for arthritis or sprains. Of course, acetaminophen has some key trade-off benefits, including a milder effect on the upper digestive tract than other over-the-counter pain relievers. It is less irritating to the lining of the stomach, making it the best headache treatment for people with acid reflux disease, ulcers, and the like. Acetaminophen is also safer for hemophiliacs and children than aspirin and its friends. There are various permutations of acetaminophen on the market, so be sure to see what else it's partnered with and whether drowsiness may result from the combo. And alas, because its usual dosage for pain relief and its overdose amount are not incredibly different, some doctors consider acetaminophen to be more dangerous than aspirin, arguing that it is easier to overdose unintentionally.
Posted on: 2012/7/31 11:22

Ultraman Re: Daily Chat 07.31.12
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

Thanks Dr. Matt....nicely done. We live on Ibu's around here. I will take one in the morning and one before I go to bed...I sleep better if I don't ache...

Big Tuesday today so need to get moving....yes dear, it will be hot today....

Yesterday my wife interviewed a woman to help clean the house a couple times a month. Ultrawoman gets out of sorts when the place gets dirty and she does not have the time to clean like she wants. We chip in but you know how guys are......anyway it turns out that we are the ones being interviewed and I find out that a good cleaning lady is like a treasure and hard to find. So the gal came over to see if she could work for us and I guess was pleased with what she saw. She starts next Tuesday.......we spent most of Sunday getting the house cleaned to impress the cleaning lady.....I don't get it.....but Uwoman is smiling and quite satisfied with her find......now honey....about that C6...........no really, Joe got one........oh, I know...shocked the shit out of us too......

Have a good day Guru's.....
Posted on: 2012/7/31 12:07

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

TommyT-Bone Re: Daily Chat 07.31.12
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Posted on: 2012/7/31 12:08

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
She starts next Tuesday.......we spent most of Sunday getting the house cleaned to impress the cleaning lady.....I don't get it.....

I also did that the evening before the cleaning lady came. That way she could spend more time cleaning the stuff I wanted her to clean. Bathrooms, kitchen, floors, dusting, windows, etc. I let her go when I retired from my regular job. With the savings in gas for the car, what we paid the cleaning lady, and the car wash guy, It's like making almost as much a month now as when I was working. I just do everything myself now. I have the time to do it too. (When I'm not busy). I'm pretty lucky. The wife gets up at 06:30 and off she goes before 07:00. Then I get up, have my coffee, feed the pigs, and do whatever comes next (like guruing). I hate when I get calls through the day though. WHAT! WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBLY WANT? I don't answer the phone at the house unless I want to. That's why I have an answering machine. I'm not much of a phone person. Some days the house is really quiet. Other days I get way more calls that I care to get. Honey, Can you do this? Honey can you do that? aaahhhhhhHHHHHHHHH! Today I have to bring the cat to the vet. That's the only pressing matter. Guess kitty will get to ride in a Vette (inside a carrier). Then I have to ..... er, ah, see what needs to be done.
Posted on: 2012/7/31 12:33

BillH Re: Daily Chat 07.31.12
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Posted on: 2012/7/31 12:36

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

This almost ties in with yesterdays facial hair thing.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 12:39

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

So, when was the last time you were there?
Posted on: 2012/7/31 12:41

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

So, when was the last time you were there?

Ahh

And it's only 15 minutes of twisties to get there.

I AM going up on Sat or Sun, ride half way around the lake to Squaw Valley to go to our (get this ) autocross.

Good photo opp.
Posted on: 2012/7/31 12:46

pianoguy Re: Daily Chat 07.31.12
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Howdy! Looks like it will be a nice evening for golf - supposed to be mid-80's and sunny today. I even dusted off the Vette and drove it to work. I was thinking how nice it would be to be firing up a new one like Joe's, but then I remembered I'd have to trade in my Vette, my Maxima, and my first-born male child. *sigh*

I use Aleve when I have some inflammation (hope to have a lot less of that now - LOL!). I had good luck with naproxen when I had tendinitis years ago, so I've stuck with the over-the-counter version.

Enjoy your day, Gurus!
Posted on: 2012/7/31 12:48

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I don't need no stinkin' cleaning lady.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 12:50

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
I don't need no stinkin' cleaning lady.

Of course, one can always change his mind.

Attach file:

jpg  maid.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2012/7/31 13:15

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Posted on: 2012/7/31 13:29

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU TRACKPREP YOUR Z ??

Attach file:

jpg  z06=1.jpg (0.00 KB)

jpg  z06.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2012/7/31 13:39

KPotter Re: Daily Chat 07.31.12
Elite Guru
Cuyahoga Falls OH
1072 Posts

Good morning all.

I got a big surprise this morning, one of my pictures from the weekend mad the front page of the paper I submit to. It is at http://www.aarn.com if you want to check it out. Mine is the one in the center of the page (Winner and trophy gal).

Starting to get set for Mid-Ohio this weekend, ALMS and Indycar. Hoping for nice weather.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 13:55

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Brad, I've never heard Tom Waits in an interview. Wow!

BillH
So that's what happens when you own a newer Z. Flash mob car washes, unknown busty females stop by to chat. Better start saving for one. Maybe I'll have enough to buy one before I'm dead. Probably not.
Posted on: 2012/7/31 13:59

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

KPotter wrote:
Good morning all.

I got a big surprise this morning, one of my pictures from the weekend mad the front page of the paper I submit to. It is at http://www.aarn.com if you want to check it out. Mine is the one in the center of the page (Winner and trophy gal).

Starting to get set for Mid-Ohio this weekend, ALMS and Indycar. Hoping for nice weather.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 14:08

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
BillH
So that's what happens when you own a newer Z. Flash mob car washes, unknown busty females stop by to chat. Better start saving for one. Maybe I'll have enough to buy one before I'm dead. Probably not.

Just think what it would be like if you owned a ZR1.
Posted on: 2012/7/31 14:10

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

KPotter wrote:
Good morning all.

Outstanding!!
Posted on: 2012/7/31 14:13

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

My bud finished the second locomotive.

This one's being shipped to Florida to sit in a corporate office reception area.

Attach file:

jpg  loco.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2012/7/31 14:29

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

This one's being shipped to Florida to sit in a corporate office reception area.

WOW!
Posted on: 2012/7/31 14:49

j3studio Re: Daily Chat 07.31.12
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
... now honey ... about that C6 ... ... no really, Joe got one ... oh, I know ... shocked the shit out of us too ...

I found that asking at the right time made all the difference when we made the call to get the lady her Centennial Edition.
Posted on: 2012/7/31 14:59

KPotter Re: Daily Chat 07.31.12
Elite Guru
Cuyahoga Falls OH
1072 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Beautiful. I would love to see this in person.
Posted on: 2012/7/31 15:23

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

KPotter wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

They are truely amazing. With few exceptions (like the wheel castings)every part is hand made.

Price - $32k
Posted on: 2012/7/31 15:54

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

KPotter wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

They are truely amazing. With few exceptions (like the wheel castings)every part is hand made.

Price - $32k

I wonder what he could do with a full scale 67 Corvette? [insert well placed smiling emoticon]
Posted on: 2012/7/31 16:01

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

KPotter wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

Let me know when you'll be visiting the Florida corporate office reception area.
Posted on: 2012/7/31 16:04

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Posted on: 2012/7/31 16:09

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

In Racing News Today

Posted on: 2012/7/31 16:17

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

KPotter wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

Price - $32k

I wonder what he could do with a full scale 67 Corvette? [insert well placed smiling emoticon]

Same as me, push it into a corner of the shop.
He started building a 37 Plymouth street rod 5 years ago, had a $25k engine built and a shed full of new parts....hasn't touched the car in 4 years cause he's building cho-chos.
Posted on: 2012/7/31 16:29

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I'm going to hate to see my electric bill this month. Last month $350. This month I will not be surprised if I see $400. I'll let you know when it comes in. It's been a long, hot month. Imagine what the electric bill comes in at on Tommyland.

I know, I know. The cool,late afternoon breezes off the hillops outside of Reno bring a comfortable, open windowed free temperature adjustment. And you didn't even have to turn on your cooler.
Posted on: 2012/7/31 19:51

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
I'm going to hate to see my electric bill this month. Last month $350. This month I will not be surprised if I see $400. I'll let you know when it comes in. It's been a long, hot month. Imagine what the electric bill comes in at on Tommyland.

I know, I know. The cool,late afternoon breezes off the hillops outside of Reno bring a comfortable, open windowed free temperature adjustment. And you didn't even have to turn on your cooler.

No, no, I had to turn the cooler on....from 4:30 to 7:30.

I just paid the electric bill this morning - $53, figuring that the cooling costs this month were $9.00.

Attach file:

jpg  7day.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2012/7/31 20:13

1Fast04Vert Re: Daily Chat 07.31.12
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Summer electric bill - $150
Winter electric bill - $50
Summer water bill - $25
Winter water bill - $15
Gas Bill - Averages to $75 month.
Property Tax - $750 yr.
Homeowners Ins. is the big one at $1,250 yr.
Sales Tax is 6% and income tax is actually fairly low.

GA isn't a bad place to be.
Posted on: 2012/7/31 20:20

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

1Fast04Vert wrote:
Summer electric bill - $150
Winter electric bill - $50
Summer water bill - $25
Winter water bill - $15
Gas Bill - Averages to $75 month.
Property Tax - $750 yr.
Homeowners Ins. is the big one at $1,250 yr.
Sales Tax is 6% and income tax is actually fairly low.

GA isn't a bad place to be.

Summer electric bill - $350
Winter electric bill - $125
Summer water bill - $7 (storm runoff fee, drainage projects)
Winter water bill - $7 (storm runoff fee, drainage projects)
Gas Bill - 0
Property Tax - $4800
Homeowners Ins. 0 (Over 5K annually if I paid for it)
AT&T $142 (2 phone lines and high speed internet plus line maint)
Direct TV $62 Basic plus
Auto Ins: State Farm $340 for 5 vehicles full coverage
Monthly purchases .............$$$$$
Sales Tax is 6% and no income tax.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 20:34

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

AT&T has high speed internet?
Posted on: 2012/7/31 20:40

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Their version. My home phones and fax keep me tethered to the AT&T teet. If it was up to me I'd drop the home phones and the fax but the B&C wants to have them. I'd be a Comcast customer if not for that. Google is supposed to be launching a new high speed internet service, rolling out in KC. Supposedly blows everybody else away.
Posted on: 2012/7/31 20:45

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

Their version. My home phones and fax keep me tethered to the AT&T teet. If it was up to me I'd drop the home phones and the fax but the B&C wants to have them. I'd be a Comcast customer if not for that.

I just said that cause I was talkin' to a friend in Pa. last nite who was excited thet he got AT&T DSL.

Don't know Comcast rates but my cable is $142 - unlimited phone, internet, tv with expanded basic and digital view + (no HBO stuff cause I wouldn't watch it anyway).

Comcast doesn't do phone? I kept the same phone # when switching to cable.
Posted on: 2012/7/31 20:51

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Well, that was strange.
I mean, they have flyovers at the begining of Pro races but:

2 F16's just buzzed the golf course, I guess for the opening of the PGA Reno-Tahoe Open.

Wacky shit happens around my house.

Attach file:

jpg  RTO-18TH-2011_depth1.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2012/7/31 21:11

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Well, that was strange.

2 F16's just buzzed the golf course, I guess for the opening of the PGA Reno-Tahoe Open.

They should do it during the rounds.
Posted on: 2012/7/31 21:31

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Attach file:

jpg  Vettes at Homestead.jpg (82.14 KB)
852_50184ee8616d4.jpg 660X228 px
Posted on: 2012/7/31 21:32

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
Well, that was strange.

They should do it during the rounds.

I can see some fairways from here.
But they probably wouldn't let me hang out there....cause i wear jeans.

Attach file:

jpg  2006-03-18 04-02-24_0001.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2012/7/31 21:43

vetteblondie Re: Daily Chat 07.31.12
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4652 Posts

Wow! That train is amazing! I have nowhere near the patience for something of that magnitude.

I also guess I should quit whining about my bills... Rent $400, car/truck/rental insurance $189, (was cheaper till some idiot woman stopped in front of me on a dime and I couldn't avoid her) Light/water/sewer/trash around $100, Cable/internet $100, Cell $93, think that bout covers it, prop tax this time was $107.

now about this:Quote:
Many women suffering from menstrual cramps also report that naproxen is more effective than standard aspirin (but as a man, I can't really confirm that!).

I can't recall any female friends of mine that only take aspirin for that. MIDOL!!!!! No cramps, makes you pee (water weight gain is insane and makes you gripy), plus it fixes bitchiness, fatigue and all that. Helps make us normal
Posted on: 2012/7/31 21:54

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

teebee Re: Daily Chat 07.31.12
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12368 Posts

Yea, Tommy that google service was supposed to happen in May, then they put it off until June, then July. Last my SIL heard was maybe late August.........he's excited, but not holding his breath.

Hey guys...it's been a long day and it ain't over yet. Worked my butt off sanding and staining wood trim. Temps in the building were about 98. Tomorrow I'll spray the finish on them and that will be that. Tonight I'm going back to the building site and help clean the floors as the floor covering guys come tomorrow to put the vinyl down in the bathrooms and entry ways. Then Thursday the carpet come in. Lots of cleaning to do before that happens.

Going to grab a bite to eat and head back up.
Posted on: 2012/7/31 23:46

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Attach file:

jpg  teebee.jpg (8.79 KB)
852_5018754856056.jpg 209X209 px
Posted on: 2012/8/1 0:16

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I got the cats nails clipped today.

The End
Posted on: 2012/8/1 0:17

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Wacky shit happens IN my house.

Fixed it for ya!
Posted on: 2012/8/1 0:25

Ultraman Re: Daily Chat 07.31.12
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

Got in late....had a long hot day checking fields for spider mite....then at about 5 when were were just getting done the tire sensors on the left rear started dinging and I had a big ole spike of some kind in it. I am watching the sensor tick off a lb every 30 seconds and stop at a farm house to see if they had a compressor in the shop...I knew they would have and filled it up to 75 lbs and made my last fields then pulled in at the farm we work for and used their floor jack and stuff to take the tire off.

The most trouble I had was getting the stupid spare tire down from its purch under the truck bed. The plastic tube was crooked and would not let the extensions hook up with the male fitting on the ratchet that drops the tire to the ground. So I crawl underneith and mess around with it for awhile and finally get it hooked up.....Did I mention that it is really hot and dirty....

Then I put an 18 inch spare wheel and tire on and the rest of the wheels are 20's.....uh, Dubs as Uboy calls them...Must not hurt anything cause I drove it 50 miles back to the house.....that is the end of my story....thanks for listening......
Posted on: 2012/8/1 1:14

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Marcus

All in stride. Some days, stuff like that can happen and I'm not affected in the least. Other days, I'd want to puncture the gas tank with the tire iron and drop a cigarette in the gasoline trail. Peace be with you brutha. It always turns out better that way.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 1:34

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.