Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
216 user(s) are online (177 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Oaklands Envious of you Gurus
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

I admire you mechanically inclined guys. I just spent way too much time trying to put on my outer window seal on the driver's side. I ended up clipping off the rivets and using a punch to knock them in, then replaced them with #12 sheet metal screws. No scraping with the window. All the clips are in but I am not satisfied with the way it looks. It doesn't look uniform.

I decided to glue down the door panel as it was flopping some at the top. Tomorrow night I hope to finish that and install my defroster vents in the door and replace the upper door cover. I guess I will get faster with time, but many of you can jump into any part of the car and work on it.

As long as I can find pictures to show me what to do, I usually can pull it off. Following the FSM is still a bit confusing. As soon as the cosmetics are over, I am going to try and install the used ECM I bought. That ought to be a site to see. At least it is getting closer to what I do best, work on computers.
Posted on: 2008/2/20 3:52

Midnight85 RE:Envious of you Gurus
Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

Hey, at least you are willing to
get in there and at least try.
That's a lot more than I can say
for some people I know. One of
the best bits of advice I can give
is to PAY ATTENTION when taking
it apart. I assure you it goes back
together the same way it came apart.
I've been twisting wrenches all my
life and I still have to ask questions,
especially on our Corvettes.
Posted on: 2008/2/20 4:03

SpectatorRacing RE:Envious of you Gurus
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

The biggest thing is being willing to go at it. Quite frankly, with very few exceptions, work on a car is very simple if you're organized and go at it meticulously. In general, to raplace a bad part you just remove the stuff in the way piece by piece, replace what's broken, and put the stuff back on in the reverse order. It sounds simple, and it really is. The tricky part is when you have rusted bolts, etc. Patience is key and it's my weakness...I anger easily and break shit

The black art is in figuring out what's wrong, but that too is typically a systematic approach. go down the list and eliminate what could be wrong until you find the thing that is.

Hanging around helping your buddies work on their cars is the best way to learn, watching is ok but actually doing it is better.

I learned slowly by doing little things like brake jobs and oil changes, now I'm able to tear into anything, fabricate new parts when necessary, and come up with other solutions to standard problems. Buy lots of Fast Orange soap, but don't wash your hands in your new white kitchen sink. Lesson learned...
Posted on: 2008/2/20 14:41

joeld RE:Envious of you Gurus
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

What brand of window seals did you buy? I'm going to replace these on my 89 in the next month or so also. Figured I would do that when the door panels are removed for front speaker/amp repair.

Joel
Posted on: 2008/2/20 16:17

CentralCoaster RE:Envious of you Gurus
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Nobody was born with it. I think I'm more willing to tear stuff apart than most. I work slowly too, and spend even more time procrastinating.
Posted on: 2008/2/20 17:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Oaklands RE:Envious of you Gurus
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Quote:
What brand of window seals did you buy? I'm going to replace these on my 89 in the next month or so also. Figured I would do that when the door panels are removed for front speaker/amp repair.

Joel

I got them from Eckler's. There prices seemed about as cheap as anyone. I bought several items to install. I took my glove box apart to see why the lever wouldn't work. The cheap little spring was broken in half. I just overlapped it a little and put some black tape on it and it works fine now. I'll probably order one when I need more parts.
Posted on: 2008/2/20 18:16

Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Quote:
Nobody was born with it. I think I'm more willing to tear stuff apart than most. I work slowly too, and spend even more time procrastinating.

I fall into the impatient class. I like to start a project and finish it in the same setting. Just don't ever turn me loose with a soldering iron!! I refuse to do soldering work as I will burn the hell out of every trace there is.
Posted on: 2008/2/20 18:18

crash RE:Envious of you Gurus
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

Quote:

Joel

just be careful if you drill out the rivets holding the strip in if you go through it too far youll go through the door leaving you some holes to repair on the outer side of the door
that will ruin youre day be carefull :thumbright:
Posted on: 2008/2/21 2:14

cuisinartvette RE:Envious of you Gurus
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

It comes with time and making mistakes...Any interior, plastic piece I touch I break...Electrical, forget it. Little by little.....

Good thing about these forums is all the info is here if you wanna tackle something .Ive saved thousands in repair bills over the years. In fact without the info onthe web I would never even consider owning a Vette.
Posted on: 2008/2/21 2:30

JrRifleCoach RE:Envious of you Gurus
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

DITTOs!!!
Posted on: 2008/2/21 2:36

tobijohn Re: Envious of you Gurus
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:
...I decided to glue down the door panel as it was flopping some at the top...

Here's another possible solution to that problem. I hate linking to CF but I can't think of a more efficent way to get you the info:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1191264
Posted on: 2008/2/21 3:36

AIRFOIL FREE!

Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Joel

just be careful if you drill out the rivets holding the strip in if you go through it too far youll go through the door leaving you some holes to repair on the outer side of the door
that will ruin youre day be carefull :thumbright:

I wish this had been posted before I did it. The warning came a bit late. Man was I upset. The front one pushed it out a little bit. Now I have to figure out how to repair what I did. I will take a picture of it and post it later.
Posted on: 2008/2/21 13:46

joeld RE:Envious of you Gurus
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

Yea, a drill bit will do some damage! I usually use a small rubber "bumper" to act as a "stop" when I'm drilling on something with a critical depth issue. I use a small hood/deck lid adjustment bumper and cut to length and just drill thru it. Leave it on the bit, and this has saved me a few times of going too deep.

Joel
Posted on: 2008/2/21 16:30

MK 82 RE:Envious of you Gurus
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

I owe my mechanical ability to my Father. He could fix anything. So maybe I was born with it.
Posted on: 2008/2/21 16:38

runner140 Re: Envious of you Gurus
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

Quote:
I admire you mechanically inclined guys. I just spent way too much time trying to put on my outer window seal on the driver's side. I ended up clipping off the rivets and using a punch to knock them in, then replaced them with #12 sheet metal screws. No scraping with the window. All the clips are in but I am not satisfied with the way it looks. It doesn't look uniform.

I decided to glue down the door panel as it was flopping some at the top. Tomorrow night I hope to finish that and install my defroster vents in the door and replace the upper door cover. I guess I will get faster with time, but many of you can jump into any part of the car and work on it.

As long as I can find pictures to show me what to do, I usually can pull it off. Following the FSM is still a bit confusing. As soon as the cosmetics are over, I am going to try and install the used ECM I bought. That ought to be a site to see. At least it is getting closer to what I do best, work on computers.

Its all up to the FSM to me. They did a real good job on the books. I remember the first time I did the water pump, the manual pretty much layed it all out.
Posted on: 2008/2/21 17:11

CentralCoaster Re: Envious of you Gurus
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
...I decided to glue down the door panel as it was flopping some at the top...

Here's another possible solution to that problem. I hate linking to CF but I can't think of a more efficent way to get you the info:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1191264

Or if you've got an older C4, a fix is right here on c4guru...

[web]http://home.san.rr.com/khastings/parts/doorpanelfix.jpg[/web]
Posted on: 2008/2/21 18:08

Rex_Ruby RE:Envious of you Gurus
Senior Guru
Philly Suburbs
180 Posts

I have a decent mechanical ability but an even better facility

Patience, slow and steady. Also determination and persistance helps too :tongue:
Posted on: 2008/2/22 5:41

LD85 RE:Envious of you Gurus
Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

Dont be jealous,, all you need is one or more charge cards and some time on the weekends!
Posted on: 2008/2/22 20:34

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.