Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
176 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Dana 44
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 1996...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

vetteblondie Will a stopped up cat kill a car?
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4659 Posts

For those of you who know my plight, car has been in the shop for a while now, started off as ignition module, fixed that, then high voltage something or another, pointed to a wiring/opti problem, now car still in shop, idles for two whole hours and doesn't die. But, now it will start, run very rich, black smoke out right side, then die and sometimes won't even run at all. We are all confused and am wondering if a stopped up cat could very well be the problem? Car has 223K miles on it....
Posted on: 2008/2/1 23:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

red_johnny RE:Will a stopped up cat kill a car?
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Hmm, I would think that it could but there are better experts out there that can chime in with a healthy answer for you. BTY when I first read your title I thought you were talking about a constipated cat
Posted on: 2008/2/1 23:38

Notorious RE:Will a stopped up cat kill a car?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
I thought you were talking about a constipated cat

I would think when the cat got so constipated that it couldn't see, it would indeed stop the car. And go take a laxative or something.....
Has anyone read codes on this car? A restricted cat can certainly cause performance problems but it doesn't explain the apparent rich condition on the right bank. Are you confident this shop knows what they're doing or are they just throwing parts at it?
Posted on: 2008/2/1 23:43

kentucky_vetter constipated cat
Senior Guru
somerset, ky
154 Posts

Had a cat stop up on my 93, the exhaust was cherry red from the manifold to the cat, car would start, idle for a few minutes and then start to miss. If i hadnt raised the hood after dark i wouldnt have known what it was.
Posted on: 2008/2/2 0:08

tobijohn Re: Will a stopped up cat kill a car?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:
For those of you who know my plight, car has been in the shop for a while now, started off as ignition module, fixed that, then high voltage something or another, pointed to a wiring/opti problem, now car still in shop, idles for two whole hours and doesn't die. But, now it will start, run very rich, black smoke out right side, then die and sometimes won't even run at all. We are all confused and am wondering if a stopped up cat could very well be the problem? Car has 223K miles on it....

I think it would be easier for people here to help you if you updated your original thread rather than start a new one as the story continues to unfold. As I mentioned in previous threads, there were no references in the FSM to the DTC codes that you had previously mentioned. Also, the DTC codes I could find in the FSM that had anything to do with high voltage had nothing to do with the Opti. I'm no expert but from what you've mentioned so far, I don't think the shop that's working on your Corvette knows what's going on...
Posted on: 2008/2/2 0:08

AIRFOIL FREE!

JrRifleCoach RE:Will a stopped up cat kill a car?
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

I had a neighbor cat piss on my pedals before.

Though it didn't kill the car, it sure did stink!

:tongue:
Posted on: 2008/2/2 0:38

jhammons01 RE:Will a stopped up cat kill a car?
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

I'd be looking at injectors and O2 sensors.
Posted on: 2008/2/2 16:06

bogus RE:Will a stopped up cat kill a car?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Something is amiss.

the black smoke tells me something is running rich. A bad cat won't automatically cause black smoke to puke out, that is just not gonna happen.

I think you need to find a new shop. They don't seem to understand modern engine technology, if they did, this would not be their recommendation.

You need to invest in a copy of the Helm Factory Service manual, www.helminc.com, and get to reading. The answer will be in there.

Any engine codes? The light on the DIC (above the AC controls) called Service Engine Soon will turn on. Also, when you start the car, does that light come on? It should come on at start.
Posted on: 2008/2/2 17:53

dan0617 RE:Will a stopped up cat kill a car?
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

My guess is that you have a bad injector on the right side of the engine and it is dumping too much fuel, but that is a guess. I'd think a bad o2 sensor would throw a service engine soon (ses) light. Just guessing here, don't go throwing parts at it. Has anyone checked the codes? You can pull codes (run a search on how to do it) without buying anything, just by counting the ses light flashes. Have you seen a ses light come on at all? The light doesn't have to be on, if it came on at all the code is stored and can be pulled.
Posted on: 2008/2/2 20:10

tobijohn RE:Will a stopped up cat kill a car?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Here's her initial thread and a post in an unrelated OT thread with a few more clues

http://www.c4guru.com/modules.php?nam ... 5630&highlight=#15630

Quote:

They FINALLY got around to looking at it today after over a week. Argued with me on the ignition module, I KNOW it's new I PUT IT ON THERE, and then he asked about the one in the distributor...??? (Hmmm, mine is an OPTI - don't recall seeing one of those in there last time I looked inside one - however on my 87.....)
Anyway, he told me that he thought it might be a wiring issue, he got different code than I got but can't remember now. Think P1357? High ignition voltage. Anywho, there will be much $$$ on labor as he is taking off water pump and all that biz in order to look. Keep fingers crossed and keep me and Little Miss in your prayers - as well as my checkbook. Out $629 on rack assembly 2 weeks ago and 2 shocks, plus recently, 02 harness repair, removal of center muffler and alternator rebuild.
Posted on: 2008/2/2 20:32

vetteblondie RE:Will a stopped up cat kill a car?
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4659 Posts

My apologies for not updating the first thread, just got told what I did and got in a panic. I've always had 02 and maf codes, but the shop cleared all codes, then all they got was the 'high voltage' whatever it was. The shop has a well known reputation for being reputable and has done work for me in the past that I was very satisfied with. Part of the slow progression is that there is the shop owner and only 1 other person he's letting in on my car and both have been out for a few days for personal reasons. Those things I understand. But, from original thread, they got it in there, let it idle for nearly 2 hours and all this other mess started happening. No mention of 02 codes or anything else. But, now mom's car I am driving is on the fritz, apparent tranny slippage, so 1 more issue to figure out. Hopefully tomorrow I can get by there to check on mine. I did notice that the car had been moved to the front of their building, not sure if that is good news or not.....
Posted on: 2008/2/4 15:42

dan0617 RE:Will a stopped up cat kill a car?
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Someone should be shot for letting your car idle for 2 hours, regardless if it caused the newest problems or not.
Posted on: 2008/2/4 23:39

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4659 Posts

Quote:
Someone should be shot for letting your car idle for 2 hours, regardless if it caused the newest problems or not.

I was hoping he reeeeaaallllly didn't mean that seriously
:shaking:
Posted on: 2008/2/5 1:46

kentucky_vetter RE:Will a stopped up cat kill a car?
Senior Guru
somerset, ky
154 Posts

2 hOURS WOULD BE JUSTIFIED GROUNDS FOR A HOMOCIDE !
Posted on: 2008/2/5 1:51

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4659 Posts

Ok, fuel pump fixed the crappy running, black smoke problem, now am getting told that the right bank is misfiring and getting an ignition control high voltage code, and he is trying to tell me to replace cap and rotor and plugs and wires.......????????????????????????????

And just picked up car and what do you know, died right as I was pulling into this parking lot....
Posted on: 2008/2/6 15:59

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4659 Posts

Ok, maybe I'm finally getting someplace..... fuel pump, 02 sensor and ignition module along with

This thingie.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LT1-Opti ... dZViewItem

Chevy place wants $200 for this thing, as you can see here...wwaaayyyy lesss.....

Maybe I"m finally getting somewhere.

:thumbright:
Posted on: 2008/2/26 19:25

TommyT-Bone RE:Will a stopped up cat kill a car?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Recently had a similar experience but my problem was injectors, then cap, rotor, wires, then one of the wires on 6 kept frying to the exhaust manifold. It's finally running great now. If you trust your mechanic, thats half the battle. Now, just isolating the problem/solution. Your getting closer.
Posted on: 2008/2/26 19:35

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4659 Posts

Quote:
Recently had a similar experience but my problem was injectors, then cap, rotor, wires, then one of the wires on 6 kept frying to the exhaust manifold. It's finally running great now. If you trust your mechanic, thats half the battle. Now, just isolating the problem/solution. Your getting closer.

[color=indigo:c6c554125a] [/color:c6c554125a]

I fired him, hired another. But was having misses on #3 and #8

We'll see....
Keep your fingers crossed!!! I'm ready for my Little Miss to come back home....
Posted on: 2008/2/26 19:46

Ramrod RE:Will a stopped up cat kill a car?
Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

You need to get a newer car 200,000 miles!!!! sheesh let it die.
Posted on: 2008/2/27 2:53

Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

Quote:

:shaking: sorry but with a car that old you should have some backround in automotive repair. When it has that many miles on it you have to expect to sink some major $$$$ into it. Transmission, engine , wiring, etc
I hear there's some great deals on C-5's these days???
Posted on: 2008/2/27 2:57

MK 82 RE:Will a stopped up cat kill a car?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

You need to start dating a car guy!
Posted on: 2008/2/27 3:01

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4659 Posts

Quote:

Date a car guy? Sugar daddy? Any takers? Bout to give up otherwise!
Bout to order than harness, new repairman said he's not really sure how it's run decently this far....
Posted on: 2008/2/27 18:02

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4659 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

:shaking: sorry but with a car that old you should have some backround in automotive repair. When it has that many miles on it you have to expect to sink some major $$$$ into it. Transmission, engine , wiring, etc

I've been expecting a lot of things to happen at this point, just never are prepared for it.... Have already done a lot of things.
Posted on: 2008/2/27 18:03

Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Date a car guy? Sugar daddy? Any takers? Bout to give up otherwise!
Bout to order than harness, new repairman said he's not really sure how it's run decently this far....

Hey! I'm not that easy......well.how far is Jonesboro from Los Angeles?
Serious.... is this your daily driver?
Posted on: 2008/2/28 4:27

LD85 RE:Will a stopped up cat kill a car?
Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

When my CAT got clogged, the car would accelerate very slowly, the engine would rev but the car would move slowly,, you could tell that the engine had a lot of back pressure in the exhaust
Posted on: 2008/2/28 12:22

LD85 RE:Will a stopped up cat kill a car?
Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've been expecting a lot of things to happen at this point, just never are prepared for it.... Have already done a lot of things.

With 200k, I am not surpised that the engine electronic stuff has gone bad, you are o nthe right track by fixing the opti, plugs, cap witres etc.

Might need to have the injectors cleaned
Posted on: 2008/2/28 12:25

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.