Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
138 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  St Louis
St Louis, MO, is the location of the Corvette assembly plant from 1954-1981.

Since 1981, Corvettes have been assembled in Bowling Green, KY.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

captmike13 Monday chat 9 Sep 2013
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

Good morning gang.

Not alot going on.

Cool today sunny with temps in the mid 80's.

Word of the Day Monday, September 09, 2013

peplum\ PEP-luhm \, noun;

1. a short full flounce or an extension of a garment below the waist, covering the hips.

2. a short skirt attached to a bodice or jacket.

3. Obsolete. a peplos.

Origin:
Peplum is derived from the word of Greek origin peplos which refers to a loose-fitting garment worn by women in Ancient Greece.
Posted on: 2013/9/9 10:06

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Monday chat 9 Sep 2013
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Usugani
Posted on: 2013/9/9 10:34

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Matatk Re: Monday chat 9 Sep 2013
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Not much to report here. Just keeping busy with work and home details, as usual. Nothing exciting happens in suburbia.

Tommy - how is Sue's recovery coming along?

Jake - what's the status on the car, still want to rebuild the engine?

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2013/9/9 11:34

Jake_The_Cat Re: Monday chat 9 Sep 2013
Guru
Morgan Hill, CA
85 Posts

Matthew,
Nah. I think that idea was more of a I WISH the car had a little more VROOOM VROOM but when I thought about it I really would not be getting much more than I have now. The '96 really runs great the way it is. About the only thing I really am looking hard at is getting the front bumper thing re-shot. It has a few chips but nothing real bad.
Posted on: 2013/9/9 12:02

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Howdy! It's going to be a balmy 99 and humid here today. Ick. Supposedly it will cool off by mid-week, we'll see. The pre-season only hinted at how sucky the Viqueens were - it's going to be a long winter.

Have a good day, Gurus!
Posted on: 2013/9/9 12:36

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Ultraman Re: Monday chat 9 Sep 2013
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14768 Posts

Hot hot hot here for the next few days then winter will start....that's about how it goes in Huskerland...

Had a great day yesterday of doing very little and I decided I could get used to it....so today more of the DNBFS tour continues as I hang out around the place....It's a good plan anyway..oh yeah there is the list that was left on the kitchen counter by my bride......I'm ignoring it at present....

Some good football yesterday as long as you weren't a Vikings fan.....Cowboys and Giants was real good but I fell asleep and did not know who won....

When I changed spark plugs on my daughters Envoy on two the the plugs there was oil down around the plugs where they go into the head and even on one around the treads....What is up with that? I cleaned it up and there was not a lot on the rag but I did not notice that on the other plugs....2nd and 3rd plugs from the front on the I6.

I like this ad.....what generation do you fit in..? I would be the very first one.....oh yeah....mini skirts...er peplums I mean...I think you can thank my gen for those.....Have a safe day Guru's...

Posted on: 2013/9/9 12:50

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

That Giants-Cowboys game was at least close, but they were both atrocious. Tom Coughlin said the first half was the worst football he'd ever seen.
Posted on: 2013/9/9 12:54

KPotter Re: Monday chat 9 Sep 2013
Elite Guru
Cuyahoga Falls OH
1072 Posts

Here we go again with another Monday.

It was a great weekend. Friday night the little blind woman and I watched "Metropolis" a black and white, silent scifi film from 1927. I was really busy trying to watch and narrate the film.

Saturday I mowed 3 lawns, washed and vacuumed the SS, and we went to dinner with friends. A good time was had by all.

Sunday, what a waste. Spent most of the day watching "Bar Rescue".

Have a great Monday !
Posted on: 2013/9/9 12:59

Huskerland
14768 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
That Giants-Cowboys game was at least close, but they were both atrocious. Tom Coughlin said the first half was the worst football he'd ever seen.

Ya...that's what makes it exciting....football's flying out all over the place and coaches screaming....that never happens with the Huskers..... haha....
Posted on: 2013/9/9 13:09

vetteblondie Re: Monday chat 9 Sep 2013
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4666 Posts

Due to be nearly 100 and humid here again today. Planned to hit the gym this morning, didn't have to be at the shop at 8 today he has a new body man helper coming in so if i got there after gym around 10:30 that was fine he said. ok, but I woke up about 5 minutes before gym was supposed to start. Slept till nearly 10 yesterday. not done that in at least 2 years. guess I needed it. You ever sleep so hard you wake up and your face is numb?
Posted on: 2013/9/9 13:58

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

1Fast04Vert Re: Monday chat 9 Sep 2013
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Yesterday was both busy and sad. A good friend of our son's and of our family was killed in Afghanistan 10 days ago. He was army special forces staff sergeant with seven years in the army. While he was an explosives expert he was killed not by an IED, but while on unmounted patrol by small arms fire. The procession was led by dozens of local and state police cars, then hundreds of the patriot guard motorcycles as the brought his body from the airport to a local funeral home. It was an awesome and very solemn procession. Then later in the evening there was a time to visit the family at the funeral home, and today another service. Then his remains will be transferred to Arlington for burial after another service in Colorado.

He was the goal keeper on our son's premiere league soccer team for seven years and varsity high school team for four years and an outstanding young man. Twice state champions, largely due to his abilities and leadership. During that time like all the other parents we got to know him and his family. He leaves behind his wife and five year old son and will be missed by all.
Posted on: 2013/9/9 14:06

j3studio Re: Monday chat 9 Sep 2013
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Quote:

1Fast04Vert wrote:

Yesterday was both busy and sad. A good friend of our son's and of our family was killed in Afghanistan 10 days ago. He was army special forces staff sergeant with seven years in the army. While he was an explosives expert he was killed not by an IED, but while on unmounted patrol by small arms fire. The procession was led by dozens of local and state police cars, then hundreds of the patriot guard motorcycles as the brought his body from the airport to a local funeral home. It was an awesome and very solemn procession. Then later in the evening there was a time to visit the family at the funeral home, and today another service. Then his remains will be transferred to Arlington for burial after another service in Colorado.

He was the goal keeper on our son's premiere league soccer team for seven years and varsity high school team for four years and an outstanding young man. Twice state champions, largely due to his abilities and leadership. During that time like all the other parents we got to know him and his family. He leaves behind his wife and five year old son and will be missed by all.

RIP. Sounds like a wonderful young man.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 14:15

Huskerland
14768 Posts

Quote:

1Fast04Vert wrote:

Damn....I am so sorry to hear it Andy....thoughts and prayers to all his family and friends.....
Posted on: 2013/9/9 14:31

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Very sorry to hear about your friend, Andy.
Posted on: 2013/9/9 16:00

TommyT-Bone Re: Monday chat 9 Sep 2013
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33782 Posts

Sorry to hear of OUR loss, Andy. Sounds like he was a great man. A salute to all who serve and those that served that are willing to give all to preserve and protect our nation.
Posted on: 2013/9/9 16:13

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33782 Posts

Sue is feeling a little off today. So am I for that matter. Just fount out my Mom has been admitted to the hospital for an irregular heart beat. My sister has been released from ICU and put in the regular ward. She going to eventually be released to a rehab facility. I'm afraid she is caught in a loop now and will end up back in the hospital on a regular basis as her symptoms from diabetes progress and debilitate her even further. She is dying a slow and painful death. Life is slipping away from her and there is little anyone can do. Hopefully Mom will get straightened out and released with good care from the hospital and doctors.
Posted on: 2013/9/9 16:20

vetteblondie Re: Monday chat 9 Sep 2013
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4666 Posts

Dang. Sorry to hear of your news, both of you guys....
Posted on: 2013/9/9 18:08

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33782 Posts

Well I just heard. My Mom had a minor heart attack and is scheduled for stint surgery tomorrow.Right now I'm caring for Sue and can't really leave till after Friday. That's when Sue goes to the doctors and gets her staples out. I don't think she is ready to drive yet. Thanks for tuning in to another episode of "As The World Turns". All this stuff and dealing with my son is making me tired. There is peace in sleep.
Posted on: 2013/9/9 18:27

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

So sorry to hear, Andy. And mojo to you and yours, Tommy.
Posted on: 2013/9/9 18:58

Huskerland
14768 Posts

Prayers for you and yours also Tommy...
Posted on: 2013/9/9 19:40

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

The rest of the week I'll be MIA in the mornings - I have to teach an early class.
Posted on: 2013/9/9 22:07

1Fast04Vert Re: Monday chat 9 Sep 2013
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

He was also awarded the bronze star posthumously, and the second purple heart. The service was well done and most definitely brought tears to my eyes. Story follows:

Sgt. Joshua Bowden comes home
Story
Comments
Print Create a hardcopy of this page Font Size: Default font size Larger font size

Sgt. Bowden comes home

http://www.douglascountysentinel.com/ ... e3-b5a7-0019bb30f31a.html

Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2013 1:26 pm | Updated: 3:04 pm, Sun Sep 8, 2013.

From staff reports | 0 comments

No matter how many times you see it on the streets of America, the vision of a fallen hero being brought home is one that makes even the toughest of men misty eyed.

Sunday, the remains of a fallen hero, Douglas County's Sgt. Joshua Bowden, were returned home and the community turned out in droves to pay their respects.

A chartered plane carrying Bowden arrived at Fulton County-Charlie Brown Airport at 10:30 a.m. Sunday. He was be met by family and friends, military officials, law enforcement from multiple jurisdictions, elected officials and nearly 300 members of the Patriot Guard.

From there the processional made the slow ride with thousands lining the route. The mile-long procession, brought him to Douglas County along Fulton Industrial Boulevard, Mableton Parkway, Bankhead Highway, Church Street, and Rose Avenue to Whitley-Garner at Rosehaven Funeral Home in Douglasville.

Bowden, age 28, of Villa Rica, Ga., passed away Aug. 31, 2013 from injuries sustained while serving his country in Afghanistan.

Born Aug. 9, 1985, in Lithia Springs, Josh graduated in 2003 from Alexander High School. During his high school career, he excelled in soccer, making the varsity team his freshman year, Offensive MVP and Coach’s Award recipient his sophomore year and was the team captain his junior and senior years. In addition, during his senior year, he had 202 saves, 10 shutouts, six assists from goalkeeper’s position, only allowing 1.52 goals per game.

In addition, he also made the Sentinel’s All-County Boys’ Soccer Team and was named Douglas County’s Player of the Year in 2003. His love for soccer began at age 10, when he became a member of the DC Force 86, finishing nine years later as a U19 GA Junior A2 undefeated division Champions. He earned two black belts in karate and was a Junior Olympic Champion, plus a National and International Champion.

Josh joined the United States Army in 2005 and was currently on his second deployment to Afghanistan, having been previously deployed in 2008. His most recent assignment was at the 71st Ordnance Group (EOD), 242nd Ordnance Battalion (EOD), 748th Ordnance Company (EOD), at Fort Carson, Colo.

His awards included the Joint Service Commendation Medal with Valor, Purple Heart, Joint Defense Meritorious Service Medal, NATO Medal, Combat Action Badge, Senior Explosive Ordnance Disposal Badge, Parachutist Badge and the Air Assault Badge.

He is survived by his wife, April Bowden; son, Kaden Bowden; parents, Ray and Yolanda Bowden; sister, Shanda Duggar and husband Donny; brother, Dugger Camp and wife Cassie; paternal grandparents, Kenneth and Sara Bowden; maternal grandparents, Morgan and Betty Williams; aunt, LaQuetta Buchanan; uncle, Chad Ponder and wife Zeta; and cousins, Eric Bowden and Jake Bowden.
Posted on: 2013/9/9 22:44

teebee Re: Monday chat 9 Sep 2013
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12379 Posts

Wow, Bad day for many here. I guess all that makes my day sound blah, so I'll just keep it to myself. Sending prayers to Andy and Tommy.
Posted on: 2013/9/9 22:59

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Best wishes to the family, Tommy.

Andy, that was a nice article and sounds like he was a phenomenal young man. A tragic loss.
Posted on: 2013/9/10 1:34

teebee Re: Monday chat 9 Sep 2013
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12379 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Best wishes to the family, Tommy.

Andy, that was a nice article and sounds like he was a phenomenal young man. A tragic loss.

As many are.....but thanks to them we live in a free country.
Posted on: 2013/9/10 1:41

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.