Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
199 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

captmike13 Happy Birthday Marines. Monday 10 November 2014
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

Good morning gang.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Should be on of the last warm days here today with temps in the upper 50's and sunshine.

Not much else happening.

Word of the Day Monday, November 10, 2014

hoyden \ HOID-n \, noun;

1.a boisterous, bold, and carefree girl; a tomboy.

adjective:

1.boisterous; rude. Also, hoiden.

Origin:

Hoyden is of uncertain origin, though etymologists suggest it may be linked to the Dutch term heiden meaning "heathen." It entered English in the late 1500s.

Today is The Marine Corps Birthday.

A MESSAGE FROM THE COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS

In his birthday greeting 70 years ago, General Alexander Vandegrift, our 18th Commandant noted that, “A Birthday is a fitting time to peer backward – and forward.” That year, Marines reflected on an extraordinary year in combat during their amphibious drive across the Pacific. Despite the challenges and the horrific conditions, Marines prevailed at Guam, Saipan, and Peleliu. On 10 November 1944, Marines looked back with pride on their accomplishment – confident in their ability to meet future challenges.

In 2004, 20,000 Marines deployed to Al Anbar Province, Iraq – many Marines celebrated the birthday in places like Fallujah, Ramadi, and Al Qaim while decisively engaged in combat. That year, Marines also responded to crisis in the Pacific following a tsunami which claimed the lives of more than 200,000 people. On 10 November 2004, Marines looked back with pride on their accomplishments – confident in their ability to meet future challenges.

As we celebrate our 239th birthday, Marines are in combat in Afghanistan. Since we last gathered to celebrate our Corps’ birthday, we also responded to crises in the Philippines, South Sudan, Libya, and Iraq.

Some things change. This year found us in different climes and places that our predecessors in 1944 and 2004. We have adapted our organization, training, and equipment to the ever-changing operating environment. Some things remain the same. Marines attacked this year’s challenges with the same courage, commitment, loyalty, self-sacrifice, and adaptability as their predecessors in Peleliu and Fallujah. For that reason, on 10 November 2014, we Marines can look back with pride on our accomplishments- confident in our ability to meet future challenges.

Thanks for who you are and what you do. Happy Birthday Marines.

Semper Fidelis,

J. F. Dunford, Jr.

General, U.S. Marine Corps

Commandant of the Marine Corps

USMC DAY

Happy Birthday to the United States Marine Corps.

November 10, 1775 was the day that the Continental Marines, later renamed the United States Marine Corps, was established and each year on November 2, the United States celebrates United States Marine Corp Day.

The United States Marine Corps, a branch of the United States Armed Forces, is responsible for providing power projection from the sea using mobility of the United States Navy to rapidly deliver combined-arms task forces.

The birth of the U.S. Marine Corps began as a way to augment naval forces in the Revolutionary War. The recruiting headquarters was in the Tun Tavern on Water Street in Philadelphia, which is considered to be the birthplace of the Marines.

The Corps was abolished at the end of the Revolutionary War however, on July 11, 1798, Congress ordered the creation of the Corps, named it the United States Marine Corps (USMC ) and directed that it be available for service under the Secretary of the Navy.

The first recorded United States Marine Corps Day celebration took place in 1937 at Marine Barracks, Washington, D.C.

The USMC shares many resources with the other branches of the United States military however, the Corps has sought to maintain its own identity with regards to mission, funding and assets while utilizing the support available from the larger military branches. The Marine Corps does have fewer installations than other branches however, many Army posts, Naval stations and Air Force bases have a Marine presence.

NATIONAL FORGET-ME-NOT DAY

National Forget-Me-Not Day was created as a day to remember and get in touch with, friends and family that you do not see on a regular basis. It is considered as a day to “reconnect”.

Annually on November 10, National Forget-Me-Not Day is celebrated by making phone calls, writing letters, sending emails, sending e-cards, sending flowers, getting together and etc. Taking just a minute to let someone know that you are thinking about them means more to them than one realizes.

Today even has its own special flower, the Forget-Me-Not.

The Alpine Forget-Me-Not is the official state flower of Alaska. This flower grows well all throughout the open, rocky places, high in the mountains of Alaska.

Happy National Forget-Me-Not Day and call someone today!

NATIONAL FORGET-ME-NOT DAY HISTORY

Within our research, we were unable to find the creator and origin of National Forget-Me-Not Day, an “unofficial” national holiday.

NATIONAL VANILLA CUPCAKE DAY

Dessert lovers across the country are celebrating today as it is National Vanilla Cupcake Day which is celebrated each year on November 10.

Cupcakes have also been known to be called:
◦Fairy Cakes
◦Patty Cakes
◦Cup Cakes (different from Cupcakes (one-word)

Cupcakes can be traced back to 1796 when there was a recipe notation of “a cake to be baked in small cups” was written in American Cookery (by Amelia Simmons). The earliest known documentation of the term “cupcake” was in 1828 in “Seventy-five Receipts for Pastry, Cakes, and Sweetmeats” in Eliza Leslie’s Receipts cookbook.

Cupcakes were originally baked in heavy pottery cups. Today, some bakers still use individual ramekins, small coffee mugs, large tea cups, or other small ovenproof pottery-type dishes for baking their cupcakes.

To celebrate National Chocolate Cupcake Day, you may want to enjoy one of the following “tried and true” vanilla cupcake recipes, SHARE some cupcakes with your friends and family and watch another episode of the Food Network reality-based competition show, “Cupcake Wars”.

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/733v19s2/classic-vanilla-cupcakes.html

http://www.food.com/recipe/raspberry- ... d-vanilla-cupcakes-426817

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/an ... upcakes-recipe/index.html

NATIONAL VANILLA CUPCAKE DAY HISTORY

Our research was unable to find the creator of National Cupcake Day, an “unofficial” national holiday.
Posted on: 2014/11/10 12:19

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Happy Birthday Marines. Monday 10 November 2014
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Gloomy, wet and cool today.
One of the field supervisors we know was overseeing the picking of yellow beans in the field out front of the house. Sue gave him a 5 gallon bucket yesterday before she left for the show. Later I found the bucket sitting by the front gate full to the brim. Living in farm country has it's benefits. Don't know what I'm doing today. What I do know is that it will be somthin. There's always somthin. I know it's time to break out the suitcases and start packing.
Posted on: 2014/11/10 12:45

Matatk Re: Happy Birthday Marines. Monday 10 November 2014
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Tommy, when are you guys leaving? How long will the cruise be this time?

Not much going on here. If you read yesterday's chat my car is hibernating now. I have to get a new amp for the stereo and get that installed. I also have several winter projects I would like to accomplish. So we will see how that all goes over the next few months.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2014/11/10 13:24

Ultraman Re: Happy Birthday Marines. Monday 10 November 2014
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14739 Posts

Well the other shoe is about to drop.....55 today and then not out of the 30's for a long time.....like next spring maybe...

...but the good news is the McRIB is back.....yay yay....hope they have buy one get one for an extra buck again.....mmmmmmm...

Did a bunch of outside stuff yesterday....cleaned out the garden dumped all the pots that grew on the deck....moved Vern the fern into the heated shop along with another plant we like. Just getting ready for what commeth....

I better go to work have a good day Guru's.....keep the shiny side up.....
Posted on: 2014/11/10 13:55

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

istter1 Re: Happy Birthday Marines. Monday 10 November 2014
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

75 today
should be a nice day
Posted on: 2014/11/10 14:25

pianoguy Re: Happy Birthday Marines. Monday 10 November 2014
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Gor mumu!

I made an executive decision and decided not to participate in today's traffic. Not much snow out there yet, but there are a lot of accidents and it is moving slowly. My demeanor will be much better for having stayed home.

Have a good day, yawls, and semper fi, indeed.
Posted on: 2014/11/10 14:28

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

GRIS Re: Happy Birthday Marines. Monday 10 November 2014
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7649 Posts

SUNNY AND COOL IN THE NATIONS TODAY, GOT A REAL, OLD FASHION NORTHER DUE IN TONIGHT. THEY DON'T SEEM AS DRASTIC IN EASTERN OKLAHOMA, BUT WHEN I WAS IN GRADE SCHOOL DOWN BY DALLAS SOMETIMES WE WOULD GO TO SCHOOL IN SHORT SLEEVE SHIRTS IN THE MORNING AND BY RECESS IT WOULD BE TOO COLD TO GO OUTSIDE. NO ADVANCE WARNING BACK THEN, YOU JUST HAD TO TAKE THINGS AS THEY CAME AND ADAPT ;-)
Posted on: 2014/11/10 14:37

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

Ultraman Re: Happy Birthday Marines. Monday 10 November 2014
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14739 Posts

Did you have to ride bareback GRIS....to school or did you have a saddle of your own.....

Geez here comes winter......Noooooooooo...........
Posted on: 2014/11/10 15:06

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

teebee Re: Happy Birthday Marines. Monday 10 November 2014
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Morning guys.....again. I thought I posted before I came to school, then get here and find my post must be out there floating in cyberspace.

It's a beautiful day here in SW Kansas, but the bottom is going to drop out tonight. We have lots of trees that haven't even started to change color much. We are primed to loose a bunch of trees due to this cold snap. 20 for a low tonight, high of 32 tomorrow and Wednesday 30. Lows in the low teens.
Posted on: 2014/11/10 17:44

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Tommy, when are you guys leaving? How long will the cruise be this time?

I have a tendency not to post details because of the tech savvy of people that take advantage of such information. (Not that it is much of a threat here.) We'll be gone for 8 days to the southern Carribean. Antigua, St Maarten, San Juan and Nassau. Haven't been to Antigua yet. You'll know when I'm gone because I wont be here.

Bad guys 0 Neighborhood 3

The guy that surprised and stabbed a burglar a couple of weeks ago has not and probably will not be charged. That bad guy almost lost his life and soon will be off to college. This morning a couple of idiots knocked door to door asking people if they wanted their lawn mowed. (No mower in sight) Ozzie, one of the neighbors spotted one of them cutting a screen and breaking a window to gain access to his back neighbors home. He picked up his gun, jumped in his car and raced around the block. At that time Sue was passing by, put on alert by another neighbor that reported a suspicious black sedan with body damage. Sue saw the vehicle, pulled in behind it and the vehicle took off. She called 911, reported the incident and that Ozzie had his gun on suspect #1. Sue with the help of other people that saw Sue in pursuit boxed in the getaway car with 4 vehicles. Within minutes units arrived and cuffed the scumbags and hauled them off to jail. Ozzie and Sue gave statements. Cops said "Good job". One female officer said "You people don't play in this neighborhood. You're heavily armed and always watching out for everything." It happens to be true. Ozzie has a concealed weapons permit that he returned home to get and show police when interviewed. The third incident was a guy stealing fruit from the trees on private property (box loads). Landowners don't take to kindly to that around here. It's like rustling cattle in cow country. In this area, trespassing on agricultural land is a felony. Yup, felony trespass. The landowner preferred not to press charge. The state armed with sufficient evidence charged and pursued this case on their own. Sue was involved with that one too. This is just some of the recent stuff that I know of. There has been other police involved car chases that ended up around here too. Hopefully word gets out that this isn't a good place to play foolish games.
Posted on: 2014/11/10 17:59

rklessdriver Re: Happy Birthday Marines. Monday 10 November 2014
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Happy Birthday Marines and OORAH!

General Dunford was a Lt Col and the Executive Officer (XO) when I was first was assigned to the 6th Marine Regiment.... Fresh out of school I was still a PFC when I arrived to my permant duty station Camp Lejeune and was assigned to HQCo 6th Marines.

I still have my Promotion Warrant from PFC to LCpl which has his signature (By Direction) on it - As at that time COL J.C. Hardee was the Commanding Officer of 6th Marine Regiment.

I never had alot of interaction with him when he was the XO at Rgt. Few times here and there when I would deliver reports from the HQCo Commander to the Regt Admin Office or when he would come in the office late in the evening when I happend to be the assistant duty to the Officer of the Day. I do remember him always being up beat and friendly in passing.

Later Lt Col Dunford became the Battalion Commander at 2nd BN 6th Marines.... I was able to spend a fair amount of time around him, espc in a tactical enviroment, during his stint as CO of 2nd BN.

I was a young Cpl assigned to the 6th Marine Regimential Operations Office (S-3) by then and can remember copying and distributing many map overlays, setting up operational briefs and other general stuff we do when handing out orders to subordinate units during training exercises. Again he was always a very nice espc around the young enlisted Marines like myself. Everyone liked him and looked up to him as far as how he ran 2/6..... He knew his shit tactically and professionally..... Everyone higher up a the Rgt though he was going to become "something special" as far as Marine Officers went.... turns out they were right.

Anyway it was a pleasure to serve under and with our now Commandant. I remember it like it was yesterday.
Will
Posted on: 2014/11/10 20:45

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

pianoguy Re: Happy Birthday Marines. Monday 10 November 2014
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Bravo, Tommy! And thank you and all veterans for your service, Will!
Posted on: 2014/11/10 22:18

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

teebee Re: Happy Birthday Marines. Monday 10 November 2014
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

X 2, Brad.
Posted on: 2014/11/10 22:54

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7649 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Did you have to ride bareback GRIS....to school or did you have a saddle of your own.....

HAD TO WALK, FIVE MILES, UP HILL BOTH WAYS.
Posted on: 2014/11/11 0:30

Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7649 Posts

RELAXING WITH A FULL STOMACH AFTER AN ELABORATE MEAL OF FRENCH CUISINE: PINTO BEANS, RICE AND ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE.
(CAJUN FRENCH, THAT IS)

FUNNY HOW IT'S THE SIMPLE STUFF THAT ALWAYS TASTES SO GOOD.
Posted on: 2014/11/11 0:43

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Bet on a vet. How lucky can you get!
Posted on: 2014/11/11 0:52

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Posted on: 2014/11/11 0:57

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

Posted on: 2014/11/11 1:01

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

I was in one of the early groups of the all volunteer force. I had orders to Thailand that were rescinded and ended up in Germany supporting the evacuation of US Air Force explosive ordinance from the Asian theatre. We handled lots of stuff. Bombs, missles, napalm components, small arms ammo, 20mm canon rounds and other war related supplies. I didn't spend a day in the line of fire but would have if so ordered. I met many a vet removed from in country and heard first hand accounts of some unbelievable tales from vets of the Viet conflict and from many other wars and conflicts. A veteran is special. Some gave the ultimate sacrifice in support of our nation. They have my support and respect, today, tomorrow and always.
Posted on: 2014/11/11 1:19

vetteblondie Re: Happy Birthday Marines. Monday 10 November 2014
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

Beautiful day here, 70 and full sun, slight breeze...
Got home and sliced up some of the deer tenderloin, started ddinner with that and while that was cooking, got the rest of it all cut up, bagged and in the freezer except what needs to be run through the meat grinder. My fingers and hands are sore and sting. Have a couple small cuts but also have a very sore back from the yard work and from the deer. Hope everyone had a good day... get your long handled underdrawers out - the highs here the rest of the week won't be over 45 or so, lows in the 20s... I'm not made for this crap.
Posted on: 2014/11/11 3:57

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.