Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
180 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  A-Molds
These are a more traditional 5-spoke rim (than the Saw Blades).

Used on later ZR1s, the 1996 GrandSport and Collectors Edition....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

brian targa top
Senior Guru
193 Posts

So for you guys or gals that have the targa top, do you ever take it off or is it just to much of a pain to take off and put back on cause it is bolted in. Why did corvette go with something like the supras do slides in on the back and then turn a handle to lock the front. Has anyone sawed off the end of the tool and put it on a power tool so it is easyer to take off and put back on? Also, do they make things to change it from that crappy bolt on design to more like the supra or something that isnt a pain?
Posted on: 2008/3/30 13:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: targa top
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Of course I take the top off. That's the purpose. Only takes a minute, and then it's top off fun. No need to saw off the end of the ratchet, just buy a t45 star bit. Some guys have used a little black and decker electric hand screwdriver along with that. I've never seen a design change to have a handle instead of the bolts.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/3/30 13:18

leftoverture Re: targa top
Guru Newb
34 Posts

If you use a power tool, make sure to keep the torque set kinda low, I don't think it would be good to strip the bolts out. . .
Posted on: 2008/3/30 13:38

pianoguy Re: targa top
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I use a little Ryobi screw gun that I got at Home Depot - works great and it's small.

Be prepared for a rubbery ride when you take the targa off. The first time I drove topless I thought the front end was going to fall off. The targa top was a late decision in the design of the C4, and it bolts in because it had to be a structural member. When it's off, the car is not nearly as stiff. I installed an R-D Racing Camber Brace, and that helped quite a bit. I'm also going to install their Cross Frame, and I bought an AFSB Targa Bar - those should make it stiffer than a plank.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 14:06

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

xccter Re: targa top
Senior Guru
Downtown Annapolis, MD
461 Posts

I have my Targa off at least once or twice every couple weeks from spring to fall. It's usually on during the heat of the day in summer, and off for evenings.

I recently bought a fiberglass Targa to help keep the sun off when it's hot. Makes the a/c work less.

I don't find it a pita, but anyone with even minor back problems may disagree.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 14:06
NCRS #48337

JeepCycle Re: targa top
Guru Newb
Nesquehoning, PA...Pocono Mt.s
30 Posts

Lots of back problems but this is still no trouble...it's very light and proper hand placement makes it easy to balance...
Posted on: 2008/3/31 1:03

CentralCoaster Re: targa top
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I think it sucks. Old men were the demographic for this car, but I can't imagine how an old man would remove the fiberglass (heavier than acrylic) roof, or open the hood, let along get inside the damn thing.

Someone designed and built a setup that used latches to secure it but he didn't go further because he couldn't afford a patent and was afraid of someone stealing his design if he started producing them.
Posted on: 2008/4/1 0:46

Oaklands Re: targa top
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

When nice weather comes around, I take my top off and leave it off most of the time. I really enjoy the fresh air coming in. As a matter of fact, my top is off now. If it is in the 60's - 70's I drive it. If it gets a little cool at higher speeds, I turn a little heat on and roll up the windows. Our weather is starting to get a bit warmer so the top will be off most of the time.
Posted on: 2008/4/1 3:28

FLYINLOW90 Re: targa top
Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

Our targa is not off as often as I would like 'cause the wife gets migraines from too much sun. So I bought a headliner and installed it on the targa.

As far as removing it, I don't find it too difficult. More of a PITA than anything.

Gary
Posted on: 2008/4/1 14:30

pappyfreebird Re: targa top
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

i myself preciate the tips...id prolly freak ifn felt that flex...so now ill be prepared fer it...but im jus in from plowin mo fuggan sno...but good newss is its awready meltin...hey i gotsum beer yontsum???? wahahahaha ja ja jive talkin uh huh heyhuh,,,yo purty momma wanna smell me!!!sarry maybe a tad bit too much jonny bravo heyhuh...ja ja jive talkin ooo yea...hey men fool maybe but i r sucking air n walkin free lifes good..n i gots me a fuggan vet dude!!
Posted on: 2008/4/1 16:11

JonnyAngle Re: targa top
Senior Guru
Minneapolis, MN
151 Posts

It's a necessary evil. THe best thing is to get the targa sliders in the back to help guide you while putting the targa in back. Otherwise just grin and bear it.
Posted on: 2008/4/1 18:39

CAP94 Re: targa top
Guru Newb
4 Posts

I take mine out in the spring and leave it out for as long as possible. I think it's a pain but I love the top off.
Posted on: 2008/4/2 0:16

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

what do ya mean jonnyangel...sliders??? are they a bear to put bake on er what...ain had mine off yet..ifn i want air i ride a skooter...cars are fer compfort n speed ...maybe now ill git it all in one trip
Posted on: 2008/4/2 13:45

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

The sliders are just some rails you can install in the cargo area to make it easier to slide the top into its storage brackets back there. I haven't seen a need for them yet, but I get older every day :-P
Posted on: 2008/4/2 14:04

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

JonnyAngle Re: targa top
Senior Guru
Minneapolis, MN
151 Posts

Here's a link to them on MAM. http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette?frame=1.763
I've never used them myself but have heard good things. A true redneck might be able to fab something up to save $70.
Posted on: 2008/4/2 20:15

boomguy Re: targa top
Guru Newb
Tacoma, WA
9 Posts

I just came back from a drive with my top removed. I rarely, rarely drive with it in. That also however means that from mid-October through mid-March it rarely leaves the garage.

Fortunately I have a company car (Magnum) so I don't have to commute in my vette.

I am also fortunate that I live around the Seattle area and from about late May until early September it is 65-80 degrees almost every day with a few puffy clouds, a light breeze and no humidity to speak of. Perfect targa weather!

As far as removal and installation, I am a very big...uh, thick guy. I'm about 6' and 335lbs. I have the rechargeable black & decker screwdriver with the T45 bit and it takes about 2 minutes to bolt it on or unbolt it. With my size and ballast I have no trouble putting it in the cargo area, I do have the solid top by the way.

The only issue is that if you are attempting to re-install the top you have to have the vehicle on very very level ground. It's okay if it is uphill or downhill but all four corners of the car need to be on a level horizontal plane. Unfortunately because the car flexes so much if you have one or more tires below the others it changes the dimensions of the opening relative to the top of the windshield and the rollhoop. The dang thing just won't line up well enough to sink the bolts in.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

What I really need is some help locating an AFSB bar from any manufacturer.

Steve Guy
Posted on: 2008/4/4 0:50

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Here's one source for the ASFB targa bar:

http://www.prostreetcustoms.net/CorvettePage.html

I was lucky enough to find a like-new used one. R-D Racing also has a similar targa bar, but with square tubing.
Posted on: 2008/4/4 3:09

brian Re: targa top
Senior Guru
193 Posts

Quote:

boomguy wrote:
I just came back from a drive with my top removed. I rarely, rarely drive with it in. That also however means that from mid-October through mid-March it rarely leaves the garage.

Fortunately I have a company car (Magnum) so I don't have to commute in my vette.

I am also fortunate that I live around the Seattle area and from about late May until early September it is 65-80 degrees almost every day with a few puffy clouds, a light breeze and no humidity to speak of. Perfect targa weather!

As far as removal and installation, I am a very big...uh, thick guy. I'm about 6' and 335lbs. I have the rechargeable black & decker screwdriver with the T45 bit and it takes about 2 minutes to bolt it on or unbolt it. With my size and ballast I have no trouble putting it in the cargo area, I do have the solid top by the way.

The only issue is that if you are attempting to re-install the top you have to have the vehicle on very very level ground. It's okay if it is uphill or downhill but all four corners of the car need to be on a level horizontal plane. Unfortunately because the car flexes so much if you have one or more tires below the others it changes the dimensions of the opening relative to the top of the windshield and the rollhoop. The dang thing just won't line up well enough to sink the bolts in.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

What I really need is some help locating an AFSB bar from any manufacturer.

Steve Guy

im 6'6 290 lbs. its not a problem with the weight of the thing it is just a bitch to unbolt. and bolt in
Posted on: 2008/4/4 3:51

vetteblondie Re: targa top
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4659 Posts

When the weather is nice, my top comes off and stays off till it rains. But, the bolts are a real pain in the arse - surely to Gawd there is a guru in here with some mechanical aptitude who can engineer and fabricate such an adaption that we may use to get rid of the bold headache.....
Posted on: 2008/4/5 1:53

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

CasetheCorvetteman Re: targa top
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Of course I take the top off. That's the purpose. Only takes a minute, and then it's top off fun. No need to saw off the end of the ratchet, just buy a t45 star bit. Some guys have used a little black and decker electric hand screwdriver along with that. I've never seen a design change to have a handle instead of the bolts.

Matthew

If you buy a T45 youre going to have the wrong bit for the job. The factory bolts are T40.
Quote:

leftoverture wrote:
If you use a power tool, make sure to keep the torque set kinda low, I don't think it would be good to strip the bolts out. . .

I bet to differ sir. I use this:
[IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/Casethecorvetteman/Car%20work/Tools%20and%20equipment/Drill.jpg[/IMG]

And i turn the torque up to at least 20. Im yet to strip a bolt, and after i do them up with the V28 Milwaukee, i then tighten them further with a hand tool. The bolts are not going to strip out unless you cross thread them, and if youre careful, i dont see how you could.
Posted on: 2008/4/5 2:17

Matatk Re: targa top
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
If you buy a T45 youre going to have the wrong bit for the job. The factory bolts are T40.

Sorry bout that - Case is correct, as usual...lol. And I wouldn't worry about stripping the bolts tightening them. Unless you mean the heads themselves, like the previous owner did on mine. I just bought a replacement bolt...no serious issue there.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/4/5 6:40

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

HAHAHA!! Thanks mate, youre a gentleman

As long as you have the right length TORX bit and its good quality, itll be a nice tight fit in the head, and should fit straight enough, and easy to hold straight when using a power tool, where as the hand tool can get on an angle abit easier and chew the head out, easpecially if the bit gets some wear. The bit im using is a FORCE, so its not likely to wear out in a hurry. If it does its got an unconditional lifetime garrentee.
Posted on: 2008/4/5 7:03

FLYINLOW90 Re: targa top
Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Here's one source for the ASFB targa bar:

http://www.prostreetcustoms.net/CorvettePage.html

I was lucky enough to find a like-new used one. R-D Racing also has a similar targa bar, but with square tubing.

Right On Brad.........

IMO That is the only AFSB. I think the R-D Racing one looks like poop.

Last year I was going to get one from Pro Street Customs but I found the guy a little difficult to deal with. I may try again this year.

Gary
Posted on: 2008/4/6 1:42

Guru Newb
Tacoma, WA
9 Posts

Thanks for the info on the AFSB, I appreciate it. A friend of mine in our Corvette Club has a TTR Targa Truss that I am hoping he will let me borrow when I go down to the track.

I just can't yet find $475 to buy the other one yet.

Steve
Posted on: 2008/4/6 8:15

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Why dont you make your own or get a mate to do it for you Boomguy?
[IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/Casethecorvetteman/My%20cars/Picture058.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2008/4/6 9:13

Guru Newb
Tacoma, WA
9 Posts

I am truly not mechanically inclined.

The fact that I was able to remove the headunit and all of the speakers from my car and get them back into place was a damn miracle.

I have never held a welder or bent a piece of metal other than by sitting on it.

As far as my friends go, I work in the insurance industry, not the most hands on group in the world.

I do sincerely appreciate the suggestion, it is not one that I had considered likely out of habit or practicality.

:book:
Posted on: 2008/4/6 16:21

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

hey case er any cats any better n up close pix n maybe demensions of that thingie
Posted on: 2008/4/6 17:54

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.