Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
247 user(s) are online (179 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SuperRam Intake System
Originally designed by John Lingenfelter at LPE and manufactured by Accell, the SuperRam was the 1st aftermarket intake to improve upon the stock lon...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jim420 what mods need to be done?
Guru
Ontario Canada
81 Posts

cars now 20 yrs old no more emission requirements woo hoo! want to do away with cat egr system air pump etc. what mods need to be done to computer so it will no longer try to read sensors for the systems i'm removing? Can the comp be set with a good obd or do i need to chip it? Will it affect mass air system? Carburetor guy here this is my first tuned port build up ahhhhh where,s the venturi clusters, what no needles or jets wtf.....please help
Posted on: 2008/8/19 19:44

Lichen Re: what mods need to be done?
Guru
Scottsdale, Arizona
166 Posts

Let's let Bogus handle this one.
Posted on: 2008/8/19 19:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

JonnyAngle Re: what mods need to be done?
Senior Guru
Minneapolis, MN
151 Posts

There's an air pump delete bracket/ pulley out there for a cool $120, or check for a used one on ebay.

MAF should be fine.

EGR: take it or leave it. The EGR system is a mess. It seems as though GM made it very hard to delete (for me at least) with all of the vacuum hoses and sensors all over the place. Just be sure you have vacuum where you still need it i.e. the Fuel Pressure Regulator, etc.

I would recommend a true dual setup for your exhaust. I like it, others hate it.
Posted on: 2008/8/19 19:57

Matatk Re: what mods need to be done?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

For me, I just got rid of the air pump (actually gutted it instead of buying the pulley for $125) and removed all of the air lines. Cap the lines on the exhaust manifolds and you're set. I left the EGR, because it does serve a useful purpose and it's easier than deleting it. My two front cats are eliminated, but the main is still there. I will be replacing it eventually with a hi-flo, just haven't gotten around to it.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/8/19 20:07

NC Kid Re: what mods need to be done?
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

I did go catless, pipeless, mufflerless...all different combinations. I finially settled down witha normal improved exaust. Catless=smell of rotten eggs.....no mufflers=loud....no pipes period= stupid, dangerous, loud, cheap, tacky, ugly, horrible sounding, and bad for the car overall! plus unhealthy for the body!.....

Take that into consideration so you won't waste so much money and time like I did. Dumb me. Sometimes I get stuck on something that I ignore the smarter people and learn the hard way. It's starting to sink in to shut up listen and learn from the smarter people.
Posted on: 2008/8/19 20:07

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

Lichen wrote:
Let's let Bogus handle this one.

ATHC----------Administrator of the Tree Hugging Community.

LOL just kidding. Bogus is going to be straight up and tell you that going catless is dumb because it affects the air we ALL breath. Saved ya the lecture Bogus. :D

Bogus says: Headers, High flow cats, Borlas, X pipe.
Posted on: 2008/8/19 20:08

cuisinartvette Re: what mods need to be done?
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Id leave the EGR (it helps!) on unless youre going to carb it which in my opinion is a mistake (and I love carbs). Take your time, make a game plan for your mods. air pump delete will make it easier to get to everything and cleans up the compartment.
Best thing you can do for it right now is a true dual 2.5: system and longtube headers. Youll feel it.
Posted on: 2008/8/19 20:37

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
Id leave the EGR (it helps!) on unless youre going to carb it which in my opinion is a mistake (and I love carbs). Take your time, make a game plan for your mods. air pump delete will make it easier to get to everything and cleans up the compartment.
Best thing you can do for it right now is a true dual 2.5: system and longtube headers. Youll feel it.

I did the true duals with 2.25 aluminized steel and no mufflers and I did not feel it. The car feels much stronger now with a normal set up. I got my kit from midamerica. They claimed 20-30 horsepower. It did get louder but it felt slower on take off. Possibly loss of low end torque....Just my .02 I have stock manifolds though and they are in bad shape(very rusty) so that may be why I didn't feel a big gain.

Did the air pump. Does clean up the engine bay. Pully is cheaply made. I returned mine. Don't waste the money on it. My dad and I gutted mine and if we can do it, anyone can. I used a clay steel to seal off the tubes on the exaust manifolds. I ripped off the steel tubes though. They would not come out easily. Sent them to the scrap yard with other metal. Made a few quick bucks off the useless stuff. The plastic pieces went straight to the dumpster.
Posted on: 2008/8/19 23:29

Guru
Scottsdale, Arizona
166 Posts

And Bogus is right. Have you watched the Olympics in China? Have you noticed the air quality there? I'm about as far from a tree-hugger as you can get, but like NC said, ditch the pre-cats and get a high-flow main cat.
Posted on: 2008/8/20 2:44

bogus Re: what mods need to be done?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

NC Kid is on target with my exhaust recipe for the L98, the charm of it? It will grow with the engine plan.

1. Headers - pick some good long tubes with good sized primarys. this will help a lot with growth down the road.

2. high flow bullet cats - one off each header.

3. xpipe - this will help with resonance and create more power.

4. pipe to mufflers.

5. mufflers... borla... magnaflow... get good ones. it might be worth buying the corsa L98 system (sorta cheaper) to get their mufflers.

The LT1 picked up 50hp on the L98... and I am convinced a chunk came from the dual exhaust system. The intake provided the rest.

I feel that exhaust is worth 40+ hp when using a stock intake. If you work the intake a bit, I expect another 15 to 20 can be found.

My feeling on cats has been well reported. I feel they are a small price to pay to keep our air breathable. These olympics have done so much to prove my point... one look at that smog and be thankful these buggers exist!

It's about being responsable, too. If we all gut our cats, even tho no one is watching, so to speak, the fun could be nixed at any moment because we are not policing ourselves.

Oh, technically, the exhaust above is against federal law... but if it passes the sniffer, that's at least honouring the laws spirit of the law.
Posted on: 2008/8/20 6:05

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

CentralCoaster Re: what mods need to be done?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Lichen wrote:
And Bogus is right. Have you watched the Olympics in China? Have you noticed the air quality there? I'm about as far from a tree-hugger as you can get, but like NC said, ditch the pre-cats and get a high-flow main cat.

Only about 1 in 40 Chinese citizens even own a car. That pollution isn't coming from car exhaust, it's coming from all the factories that are filling up shelves at Walmart for you.
Posted on: 2008/8/21 20:46

MK 82 Re: what mods need to be done?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

True statement.
Posted on: 2008/8/21 23:44

Guru
Scottsdale, Arizona
166 Posts

I try to avoid Welfare-mart whenever possible. What you said is true for most of China, but the cities like Bejing are buying cars like candy. They say that the U.S. is the biggest polluter, but that is crap. Ever been deep down in Mexico?
Posted on: 2008/8/22 3:25

bogus Re: what mods need to be done?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

USA is still the biggest polluter.

The problem with China, India and Mexico is that a limited number of industries create those messes. Bejing has a ton of cars, but nothing like LA. And most of those cars have no emission controls. Trust me, if those nations had the same consumption we did, the skies over their entire countries would be masked by a perma-cloud.
Posted on: 2008/8/22 4:27

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.