Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
229 user(s) are online (186 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH700R4 / 4L60
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 3.06
2nd Gear: 1.62
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.70

Reverse: 2.29

- Used in production GM model...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

1Fast04Vert Speaking of tires--Nexen?
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Anyone know anything about these? Looks like a nice tread design and good ratings and cheap, but I have never heard of a Nexen brand before.
Posted on: 2008/12/19 18:43

CentralCoaster Re: Speaking of tires--Nexen?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Keep in mind the people rating low-cost parts generally have low expectations because they've never paid more or experienced the top-shelf stuff.

No experience with Nexen though.
Posted on: 2008/12/19 21:20

joeld Re: Speaking of tires--Nexen?
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

I don't recall seeing any info on this brand while doing my search on tires the last two weeks.

Joel
Posted on: 2008/12/19 23:29

jsup Re: Speaking of tires--Nexen?
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Someone makes them, probably a major manufacturer. Bridgestone, Goodyear, Cooper, someone. Find out who makes it, that will give you some idea.
Posted on: 2008/12/19 23:56

pappyfreebird Re: Speaking of tires--Nexen?
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

do they make 16"ers heyhuh ,,that be my ?
Posted on: 2008/12/20 0:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Danspeed1 Re: Speaking of tires--Nexen?
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Keep in mind the people rating low-cost parts generally have low expectations because they've never paid more or experienced the top-shelf stuff.

No experience with Nexen though.

Please don't equate price with quality. I've never heard of these tires so I can't say if they are any good, but I can't say that my Goodyears are any better at $1200 for the set.

DG
Posted on: 2008/12/20 0:50
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

crash Re: Speaking of tires--Nexen?
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

ill get back to you tomrrow the tire warehouse we deal with carries them. their a entry level performance tire not a toyo trs or goodyear fi. will let you know the skinny tomorrow night
Posted on: 2008/12/20 1:33

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote:
Please don't equate price with quality. I've never heard of these tires so I can't say if they are any good, but I can't say that my Goodyears are any better at $1200 for the set.

DG

There are some deals, but I was speaking towards the rave reviews on Tirerack that should be taken with a grain of salt. "These tire kick ass compared to my bald dry rotted chinese tires on my VW bug."

How many people are running GS-D3s and then swapping them for these unknown brands and giving a comparison?
Posted on: 2008/12/20 3:07

pappyfreebird Re: Speaking of tires--Nexen?
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

i jus wish i could let my tires turn...evin better maybe pull the targa off..but nawt happinin here fello redneckers,,,i r under blizzard warning tell 6 tamara n been plowin blowin broomin dig n fallin in sno fer two fuggan daze..why i stay ,,well they speak proper n aw fug it ,,i stay cause i rekon i had lotsa a oler bruthas n when the good lord asked me ifn wanted brains i thought he said trains n said nawt! me bruthas awready have sum...ps but i do smell sum ovatime moneys droppin on me soon
Posted on: 2008/12/21 3:06

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote:

DG

There are some deals, but I was speaking towards the rave reviews on Tirerack that should be taken with a grain of salt. "These tire kick ass compared to my bald dry rotted chinese tires on my VW bug."

How many people are running GS-D3s and then swapping them for these unknown brands and giving a comparison?

Very True,... The reviews are tire rack are very unhelpful in any event because most of the people who rave about the tires they purchased have only had them on the vehicle for 250-500 miles before they fill out the survey. Thats really not a good indication of how the tires are going to ride and handle as they begin to wear.

I keep striking out with tires. I don't autocross, and I rarley get any light to light action. I judge a set of tires (my personal opinion) based on how they handle on the road, if they are quiet, how they perform in the wet, and lately with the cost of the tires I have been buying due to the huge size, how long they last... If you haven't noticed I like to give them a good resurfacing from time to time, and 15K mile tires are only going to last me 8-9K which is cost prohibitive. I don't find much improvement on the street with the expensive tires. My falkens on my last vette hooked up better then the goodyears when punching it pulling away from the light.

I guess what I am trying to say is that (this actually happens more on other forums) most of us really don't necessarily need the most expensive top of the line tire for the type of driving we do. Overkill tires sometimes actually leads to loss of driving pleasure, the complete opposite of your intentions.

DG
Posted on: 2008/12/21 18:48
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

pianoguy Re: Speaking of tires--Nexen?
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I scouted around for grins, but found that Nexen is not among the dwindling choices for the staggered tire sizes on my '96. I'll likely stick with the Firestones, as I've been happy with them. Cooper is another brand I've seen in a reasonable price range, but I haven't heard much about them.
Posted on: 2008/12/21 18:53

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

well i found out the nexen brand is equal to the firenza made by goodyear. their both rntry level performance tires.you might look onto the firestone wide oval tire. they have a utqg rating of 320 aa/a their about a 35,000 mile tire with great traction.theyare made in the 255/45 r17 for front and 285/40r17 for the rear. boyh retail for $230.00 each through the supplier we use. they didnt carry the nexen in that size. good luck
Posted on: 2008/12/21 20:54

1Fast04Vert Re: Speaking of tires--Nexen?
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Thanks for the info Rich. I am currently running FSWO 285/40/17 on the front and considering going to 275/40. I can get 2 of the Nexen for $179, which is a dirt cheap price if the tire is decent. I have about 28K miles on the FSWOs with a good many burnouts when they were on the rear before I changed rims and but 315/35s on the rear. Think I just might try the Nexen and see how they do.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 0:32

bogus Re: Speaking of tires--Nexen?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

They are a Korean brand. From my experience, that makes no difference. I have had great luck with Kumho and Summitomo.

Their site doesn't show a fitment for the Vette at all.

I checked a couple of other sites, no go.

I suspect these tires are aimed at the new sport compact market.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 7:12

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

One thing important to me, is getting the most tread for the wheel, without mismatching it of course. Nobody wants a Donut on a sportscar.

A Nitto NT555 is too hard, but has pretty wide tread, compared to a Firestone Wide Oval.

These Bridgestone RE050A pp's are pretty wide too for the size. Maybe too soft though.

Also you guys are dreaming if you expect to find a grippy tire with long life. Those traits are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum. Every tire out there is going to be a compromise of the two, and people draw the line in a different place. And many will never run enough tires to compare to anything, or will be letting them dry rot. You can't compare a 5-yr old tire to a new one. You can't compare low tread to squirrelly new rubber.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 8:13

Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

WELL MY 89 HAS THE FIRENZAS ON IT. THEY WERE ON IT WHEN I BOUGHT IT. I KNOW THEY FLAT SPOT IF IT SITS TOO LONG. BUT THAT GOES AWAY AFTER 5-10 MILES OF DRIVING. CANT SAY HOW THEY ARE FOR BITE OR HANDLING CAUSE I DONT RUN IT THAT HARD. THEY LOOK GOOD THOUGH.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 12:51

pr0zac Re: Speaking of tires--Nexen?
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i doubt they are a decent tire. stick with something that you know.. with tires its your life on the line. sumitumos are fine if you have a stock car and never get on it. they are best when you if first warmed up by burning out for a half hour then try and use them. not really spectacular in the rain or snow. kumho's i have heard good things about the mx's dry and asx's as an all season. never tried them myself. i have some general exclaims on my car. i am not one to go wild in turns, i have nothing to prove driving on the street. but they seem as good as any other tire i have had on the car. the do good in the snow when new to about half tread then throw them out. i got like 10k of hard driving out of them. the hook well even in colder temps.. for a 275/40-18 they were like 136 a tire. and for the fronts a 255/45/17 was like 115. i have c5 rims btw. i would lilke to try the kumho mx's if i lived somewhere where it didn't snow.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 12:56

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
One thing important to me, is getting the most tread for the wheel, without mismatching it of course. Nobody wants a Donut on a sportscar.

A Nitto NT555 is too hard, but has pretty wide tread, compared to a Firestone Wide Oval.

These Bridgestone RE050A pp's are pretty wide too for the size. Maybe too soft though.

Also you guys are dreaming if you expect to find a grippy tire with long life. Those traits are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum. Every tire out there is going to be a compromise of the two, and people draw the line in a different place. And many will never run enough tires to compare to anything, or will be letting them dry rot. You can't compare a 5-yr old tire to a new one. You can't compare low tread to squirrelly new rubber.

That's about the only complaint I have about the Firestones - their footprint isn't as wide as some others. I saw a thread at the other place a while back comparing a number of brands in the 315 size - the difference in width was shocking.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 13:46

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

I think I will pass on the Nexen. Somehow I just don't trust Korean tires anymore than I trust Chinese anything.
Thanks for all the info.

ps--I bought new Sumo 315/35s for the back end from tire rack a few weeks ago. It seems they were made at the Toyo plant just a few miles from where I live. I found that good, but odd.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 16:48

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

This is the Cooper Zeon 2XS I was looking at:

http://www.coopertire.com/html/products/tires_uhp.aspx
Posted on: 2008/12/22 17:55

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Maybe you could save up for some Chinese-made Goodyears then!
Posted on: 2008/12/22 18:22

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Maybe you could save up for some Chinese-made Goodyears then!

Why not? It seems like we have exported about every technology, manufacturing, and jobs overseas already.
Just go to a Walmart (yuck) and try to buy American made items.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 19:32

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
I think I will pass on the Nexen. Somehow I just don't trust Korean tires anymore than I trust Chinese anything.
Thanks for all the info.

ps--I bought new Sumo 315/35s for the back end from tire rack a few weeks ago. It seems they were made at the Toyo plant just a few miles from where I live. I found that good, but odd.

I wouldn't disguard them just because they are Korean, so are the Kuhmo's. I had a good experience with them, but there is a big difference between a Corvette and a stock Impala SS. It should be interesting to see if they are still a good tire after I get them back on the Impala with the Converter, Gears, Intake, Exhaust, Tune, and so on....

DG
Posted on: 2008/12/22 19:53
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

RIISITAS Re: Speaking of tires--Nexen?
Guru Newb
Las Vegas
46 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

I've been using these on another performance car I own. I must say I was skeptical of these tires when I purchased the car but they have changed my mind. These Cooper Zeon 2XS tires have been great! I've put nearly 30K hard miles on them and I've been very happy with their grip and handling characteristics. They are about ready for replacement. I have not taken them to Autocross or the track however. My conditions are mostly dry and hot but I have used these in rain and I was surprised how good they were in the wet. I would buy these again.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 15:03

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

RIISITAS wrote:
Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

I've been using these on another performance car I own. I must say I was skeptical of these tires when I purchased the car but they have changed my mind. These Cooper Zeon 2XS tires have been great! I've put nearly 30K hard miles on them and I've been very happy with their grip and handling characteristics. They are about ready for replacement. I have not taken them to Autocross or the track however. My conditions are mostly dry and hot but I have used these in rain and I was surprised how good they were in the wet. I would buy these again.

I happened to see they offer a 45-day test drive - nice deal.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 15:14

RIISITAS Re: Speaking of tires--Nexen?
Guru Newb
Las Vegas
46 Posts

The 45 day test drive is a good deal. I think they are certainly worth a try.
Posted on: 2008/12/24 23:56

apeacefulstorm Re: Speaking of tires--Nexen?
Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

I have had Vredestein tires on for a year and about 25,000 miles.... they have been good, really good in the rain... the rear tires are starting to get loud so I know they will have to be replaced soon... the front tired have plenty of tread left, and yes I have the staggered sizes... 315 in the read 285 on the front...
Posted on: 2008/12/25 1:18

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

apeacefulstorm wrote:
I have had Vredestein tires on for a year and about 25,000 miles.... they have been good, really good in the rain... the rear tires are starting to get loud so I know they will have to be replaced soon... the front tired have plenty of tread left, and yes I have the staggered sizes... 315 in the read 285 on the front...

That's another brand I'd seen but not heard much feedback about. Cool-looking tread pattern. I hadn't found them in the 285/255 size combo, though.
Posted on: 2008/12/25 4:30

WW7 Re: Speaking of tires--Nexen?
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

I can vouch for the Cooper Zeons. I have a full set on my 89 that have been on for 1 1/2 years and they handle and last great, real good on wet roads. OE wheels puts Nexen tires on there tire/wheel combos, I don't know much about them but they are Dunlop owned, here is the add for the tires at OE Wheels..

275/40/zr17 Nexen 3000. UTOG rating Treadwear 360 one of the highest rating / Traction AA highest rating / Temperature A highest rating / Speed rating 186 mph highest rating. Nexen is comparable to a Michelin Pilot or Bridgestone Potenza S-03. The Nexen 3000 has one of the best rating on the market today and is part of the Dunlop Tire Corporation. The Nexen 3000 has innovated tread design to improve handing in wet or dry conditions. L.L. Carbon to improve treadwear while enhancing wet performance. Silica allows performance even in cold weather. Nylon spiral wrap allows the tire to keep its original shape at extreme high speeds.
Posted on: 2008/12/25 18:13

jdtireman Re: Speaking of tires--Nexen?
Senior Guru
Winnipeg
176 Posts

It's true of lots of things these days - you only get what you pay for. When it comes to tires, this is especially true. If you are buying tires for a home-to-work econo commuter, save a few dollars on the junk from Walmart. When it comes to high performance tires on a serious performance car, stick with a brand name you know. Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone and Firestone all make tires that will fit our cars. I have Sumitomo's (garbage) on my 93 but will be replacing them before I do any touring next spring. I will be installing a set of Firestone Wide Ovals. I asked a friend who works for FST if there are any new sizes coming out for this tread, like a 315/35ZR17, but unfotunately not yet.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 22:24

Jeffvette Re: Speaking of tires--Nexen?
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Review of stuff I have driven on both just street driving and track.

Vederstein - Odd tread pattern, great wet weather traction. I found them to be noisy, and also initial feedback on turn in was vague.

Summitomo - Cheap, great for the waxer guys. I would not trust them for any spirited driving.

Goodyear GSD3 - Great wet, great dry traction. Noisy,and they don't last long.

Goodyear F1 - Great dry, minimal wet traction. Horrific wear.

With all that. I run on BFG KD's which have been discontinued now. I'll try the new Kumho tires out since they are making them in a 315 size.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 22:43

BeachBum Re: Speaking of tires--Nexen?
Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:
Review of stuff I have driven on both just street driving and track.

Goodyear F1 - Great dry, minimal wet traction. Horrific wear.

I agree.... that would be my review of F1's to a tee....
Posted on: 2008/12/28 22:51

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.