Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
235 user(s) are online (188 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  D44
This references the rear differential.

The D36 was the smaller unit. Used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes after that.

The ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

dan0617 Rear end gurus, step inside please.
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

On a D-36, what parts are most commonly broken from a hard launch? I'm thinking of buying a few replacement parts used when I see them for sale since I won't be able to afford a solid rear for a long time. I have a few questions, please bear with me as I don't know alot about these rear parts but I'm learning.

1. I know the 1/2 shafts are suspect, and probably the most commonly broken part, so I'm going to get an extra one and take to the track with me when I go. Was considering going to steel 1/2 shafts but I'm afraid that will just make the centersection snap instead of the 1/2 shaft and I'd much rather replace a shaft. What do you guys think? Stay with aluminum and let it be the "fuse" or go steel?

2. I hear about broken spindles. I know nothing about spindles. This is where I need the advice the most. Is it the spindle knuckle or the spindle itself (isn't the spindle itself the part with the spline on one end and the hub and wheel studs on the other?) that breaks? Or both? I was assuming it was the spindle knuckle but the more I look at things I'm guessing it is the spindle itself that snaps. Anyone ever heard of a broken spindle knuckle or is it the spindle that breaks?

3. I hear of cryo treated spindles, are they much better than stock? Would it be worth it for me to have mine cryo'd? Would I get the whole aluminum knuckle done or just the spindle itself.

4. As far as the centersection, I think I'm best to just replace the whole chunk if it breaks. Also don't think it is worth it to have the whole chunk cryo'd but I don't know much about cryo treating. Am I on the right track here or should it be cryo'd for strength too?
Posted on: 2009/8/9 18:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Jagdpanzer Re: Rear end gurus, step inside please.
Guru Newb
Northern VA
12 Posts

Forum member Josh is quite experienced with the strength and weaknesses of C4 spindles and Dana rear ends.
Posted on: 2009/8/10 0:54

Matatk Re: Rear end gurus, step inside please.
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I'm speaking purely from what I've read, as I've never broken a rear end.

Spindles will snap right in half.

Half shafts may twist/snap.

U-joints.

People say the inside "grenades" but I can't tell you what exactly that means as far as which parts go bad.

There are a few guys on here that have experienced breakages personally who should chime in.

Sorry I can't give you first hand advice (or rather, I'm happy...lol)

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/8/10 0:58

Josh Re: Rear end gurus, step inside please.
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Yeah, I've broken a ton of stuff back there. If you search me on the other site, lots of stuff on there.
Posted on: 2009/8/10 11:27

BrianCunningham Re: Rear end gurus, step inside please.
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I'm getting 32spline subaxles

The halfshafts should be OK if I don't hop

The diff?

I've got a D44, and I'm hoping it will last if I keep away from slicks, if it goes I'm going to try and figure out what I can do and keep it an IRS.

A solid axle is OUT for me since I autocross & do HPDE's
Posted on: 2009/8/10 13:16

rklessdriver Re: Rear end gurus, step inside please.
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

All of the external stuff is far stronger than the ring/pinion, carrier and case of a D36.

You will grenade the ring and pinion or break the carrier or housing in half before you can do any damage to a stub axel (spindle) or halfshaft, considering you have a small stall convertered, foot brake, automatic trans.

There are things you can do to keep the rear suspension from squating too far and getting negative angle in the halfshafts that will help prevent breaking stub axels and half shaft u-joints. The best solution I saw was a very fast 6spd car a few years ago. Bill B at the ZF Doc also suggested that I do the same thing to my car in addition to all my roll bar/pinion bar work. Basically the guy had built spacers for the rear suspension snubbers so the rear suspension would only squat enough to allow the half shaft to get parallel with the ground and not get any negative angle. A simple bump stop extender nothing more.

More involved solutions/additions are solid bat wing bushings and pinion snubbers to keep the C-Beam from flexing and busting the pinion nose off the housing.

If you wanted to try something I would suggest you get some tubing and 1/4" X 2" plate to build the bump stop extenders to try. But I personally don't think you can launch it hard enough to break anything other than the D36 itself, and there is not much you can do to make it stronger as the weakness is inside and IMO the $$$ you would spend to upgrade a D36 would be better spent towards a D44.
Will
Posted on: 2009/8/10 13:30

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:

1. I know the 1/2 shafts are suspect, and probably the most commonly broken part, so I'm going to get an extra one and take to the track with me when I go. Was considering going to steel 1/2 shafts but I'm afraid that will just make the centersection snap instead of the 1/2 shaft and I'd much rather replace a shaft. What do you guys think? Stay with aluminum and let it be the "fuse" or go steel?

I wouldn't worry about the half shafts. I've only ever broken one, and I've broken multiples of everything else.

Quote:
2. I hear about broken spindles. I know nothing about spindles. This is where I need the advice the most. Is it the spindle knuckle or the spindle itself (isn't the spindle itself the part with the spline on one end and the hub and wheel studs on the other?) that breaks?

The spindle (or outer stub axle) was the most common failure on my car. I broke half a dozen of them or so.

It's the part that bolts to the wheel side of the half shaft. They break right at the base of the splines. When they do break, they take out the wheel bearing and ABS sensor. It's theoretically possible that it could take out the knuckle as well, but it never happened to me.

Quote:
I was assuming it was the spindle knuckle but the more I look at things I'm guessing it is the spindle itself that snaps. Anyone ever heard of a broken spindle knuckle or is it the spindle that breaks?

I've never heard of the knuckle being called a spindle knuckle, but terminology varies from place to place. For the sake of simplicity, we'll identify some terms:

Inner stub axle - The piece that bolts to the differental side of the half shaft. It goes into the differential and uses splines to connect it to the carrier.

Half shaft - Everyone is on the same page here.

Outer stub axle - The piece that has been somehow named spindle by the Internet. It bolts to the wheel side of the half shaft.

Knuckle - The large aluminum piece that the wheel bearing installs in. All of the rear suspension pieces attach here.

Carrier - The unit that bolts to the ring gear and turns the inner stub axles. This is most commonly some kind of posi-traction unit, but there are some spool options available.

Anyway, the outer stub axle is a pretty common failure. Like I said, I broke half a dozen of them.

Quote:
3. I hear of cryo treated spindles, are they much better than stock? Would it be worth it for me to have mine cryo'd? Would I get the whole aluminum knuckle done or just the spindle itself.

Cryo treating made no difference for me. I broke cryo'd parts at the same rate as the stock pieces. If you do decide to cryo parts, you wouldn't need to do the knuckle, just the spindle.

Quote:
4. As far as the centersection, I think I'm best to just replace the whole chunk if it breaks. Also don't think it is worth it to have the whole chunk cryo'd but I don't know much about cryo treating. Am I on the right track here or should it be cryo'd for strength too?

I had mine done, it made no difference. I broke cryo'd gears, cryo'd spindles, a cryo'd half shaft, etc... I wouldn't cryo much of anything any more, especially on a D36.

IMO, the first thing you break will be inside the diff. Either ring/pinion, spider gears, clutches, etc... Any of those would be my guess. At that point, it might take out the case, or might not. I broke a ring gear and my case survived, but I've seen others where the shrapnel takes out the case.

Regardless, most of the stuff back there takes a good bit of time to change, and a good number of tools. I don't know that it would be practical to buy spares with the intent of swapping them out at the track in the event of a failure.

With your auto, and a D44 swap, I think you'd be good with low 1.5's forever. You might crush U-joints from time to time, but the auto is pretty forgiving.

Jonescap is cutting mid 1.5's (with a best of 1.51) on his stock D44, and he is a nitrous 6 speed car. I really don't think the power you are making is an issue, especially behind the auto.

If I were you, I would start to save for a D44, and just enjoy the car for now. Wait for the first failure to happen, and then go from there. If it's the chunk, then pull the trigger on the D44 swap.

As far as a solid axle, IMO there aren't any options out there. The Azzato piece is just too questionable for me, and the Leo Barnaby (RIP) unit is outrageously expensive.

Good luck with it.
Posted on: 2009/8/10 13:42

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
There are things you can do to keep the rear suspension from squating too far and getting negative angle in the halfshafts that will help prevent breaking stub axels and half shaft u-joints. The best solution I saw was a very fast 6spd car a few years ago. Bill B at the ZF Doc also suggested that I do the same thing to my car in addition to all my roll bar/pinion bar work. Basically the guy had built spacers for the rear suspension snubbers so the rear suspension would only squat enough to allow the half shaft to get parallel with the ground and not get any negative angle. A simple bump stop extender nothing more.

Lol, that was me that told Bill about that years ago, lol.
Posted on: 2009/8/10 13:45

dan0617 Re: Rear end gurus, step inside please.
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Thanks for the part clarification and advice, that helps alot! I was thinking the 1/2 shaft would be the most suspect and I know I can swap one of those out at the track fairly easily. Sounds like the spindle, or outer stub axle, is most prone to break. I'll have to look up what all needs done to change one of those.

I am running mid 1.5 60' times at the track, and that is standing it up on the converter to about 2K rpms, then rolling the pedal to the floor fairly easily, then hitting the spray about 1/2 second after my foot makes it to the floor. I'm sure if I just nailed it to the floor on launch, then hit the spray after getting it to the floor, I'd run in the low 1.4's. A launch on the spray would be phenomenal, but I know I'm going to have to stick to the mid 1.5's with the D-36.

I honestly was thinking the case would be stronger than the 1/2 shafts and spindles but it sounds like not.

At this point I'll look into how hard/time consuming it is to swap spindles, then I'll buy a used 1/2 shaft, maybe a spindle, and then just run it till it breaks something. If it's the case, I'll likely have to swap to a D-44 since I know a solid rear conversion is not even in the 2 year plan with my budget.
Posted on: 2009/8/10 15:00

88BlackZ51 Re: Rear end gurus, step inside please.
Senior Guru
481 Posts

i havent broke anything yet, but i plan on it!

some good stuff in this thread.....
Posted on: 2009/8/10 18:31

Jagdpanzer Re: Rear end gurus, step inside please.
Guru Newb
Northern VA
12 Posts

Posted on: 2009/8/10 20:19

vetteoz Re: Rear end gurus, step inside please.
Senior Guru
453 Posts

Quote:
Josh wrote:
Yeah, I've broken a ton of stuff back there.

Parts Josh prepared earlier

[IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u309/vetteoz/Spindles.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote: A simple bump stop extender nothing more.

Mine after following Josh's advice.Buddy got a little carried away with the s/s bar but they won't bend anytime soon

[IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u309/vetteoz/bumpstop.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2009/8/11 2:10

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

How long are those snubber extensions, and how do they attach? I didn't realize the car could squat far enough to need those.
Posted on: 2009/8/12 17:39

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

On my car, the length needed was exactly one inch. I used some square tubing and a longer bolt to move the snubber down. Just go look at the snubber and try to picture a way to move it down 1 inch. It's easy to understand how to do it if you are looking at the part.
Posted on: 2009/8/12 19:14

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

sounds like a good idea

Of course once your on them, it's a solid suspension.
Posted on: 2009/8/12 19:29

vetteoz Re: Rear end gurus, step inside please.
Senior Guru
453 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
How long are those snubber extensions, and how do they attach? .

Mine shown are on a '87 so the distance may be different on the later knuckles.
1.7" spacer puts halfshaft dead level
Posted on: 2009/8/13 0:05

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll look into the snubber extensions first chance I get.
Posted on: 2009/8/13 15:29

CentralCoaster Re: Rear end gurus, step inside please.
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I don't really see the point of those, there's no torque on the knuckle.

Any squat you get would just be from the weight transfer minus whatever anti-squat the dogbones offer.

Now if you want to prevent snapping the case you need a snubber on it or some other way to restrain it's rotation besides the C-beam. I was thinking some links from the lower case bolts to the back of the car would triangulate the entire rear end and distribute the reactionary forces on the diff more, instead of the snout taking all of it. The C-beam translates that diff torque into a tensile force on the top of the snout which pulls it right off.
Posted on: 2009/8/13 17:24

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

CC, I think the snubber extensions keep the car from squatting quite as low on launch, which keeps the 1/2 shafts level instead of going at an upward angle from the case to the wheel. That in turn takes a little stress, or binding if you will, off of the u-joints, 1/2 shafts and possibly spindles. I don't think from what I've gathered here that they would help save the case in any way.

That being said, I would love to try something to help strengthen the case, or technically make the weak case last longer from somehow taking some of the load off of it. What you suggested sounds like it could work, wonder if anyone has tried anything like that. My fear of making something that hasn't been tried before is not having enough flex or movement in necessary places and end up causing the case to snap.
Posted on: 2009/8/13 17:33

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

right, they're bump stops not diff snubbers
Posted on: 2009/8/13 17:55

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:
That being said, I would love to try something to help strengthen the case, or technically make the weak case last longer from somehow taking some of the load off of it. What you suggested sounds like it could work, wonder if anyone has tried anything like that. My fear of making something that hasn't been tried before is not having enough flex or movement in necessary places and end up causing the case to snap.

I supported the pinion/C-Beam attachment point on my D44 case with a bar off the shoulder bar on the roll cage. I have pics is my various roll bar threads. IMO this is the strongest way to do it.
Will
Posted on: 2009/8/13 19:39

Steve40th Re: Rear end gurus, step inside please.
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
Quote:

I supported the pinion/C-Beam attachment point on my D44 case with a bar off the shoulder bar on the roll cage. I have pics is my various roll bar threads. IMO this is the strongest way to do it.
Will

I saw your supported section over the C Beam. Nice idea.
Did you ever think of bolting your roll bar in vice welding? Pros/COns?
Posted on: 2009/8/14 3:54

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

vetteoz wrote:
Quote:
Josh wrote:
Yeah, I've broken a ton of stuff back there.

Parts Josh prepared earlier

[IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u309/vetteoz/Spindles.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote: A simple bump stop extender nothing more.

Mine after following Josh's advice.Buddy got a little carried away with the s/s bar but they won't bend anytime soon

[IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u309/vetteoz/bumpstop.jpg[/IMG]

I am going to do the snubber/bump stop on mine. great idea. Mine is 2 inches lowered already.
As soon as I get time I will.
Posted on: 2009/8/14 3:55

CFI-EFI Re: Rear end gurus, step inside please.
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

I scanned this thread rather quickly and excuse me if this was mentioned earlier, but other than the actual diff itself, there is nothing different or stronger in a D44 over a D36 suspension. Half shafts, knuckles, spindles, etc. changed somewhat from year to year, but are the same for both a D36 and a D44 for any given year. Any one doing the conversion can save money by not buying and paying for a complete suspension. A complete WILL provide you with spare parts in case of a breakage, but no strength advantage.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/8/14 14:31

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

You are correct as far as I know. I've broken everything back there, and when acquiring replacement parts I was never asked if the car was a D36 or D44. Half shafts, spindles, knuckles, etc... They are all the same as far as I know.

The center section is different, and the bat wing is different. I don't think any of the suspension mounts or anything else changed.
Posted on: 2009/8/14 15:03

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

Steve40th wrote:
I saw your supported section over the C Beam. Nice idea.
Did you ever think of bolting your roll bar in vice welding? Pros/COns?

I did want to make the tube 2 pieces and have it bolted together (maybe with some way to adjust it) but that was going to be a bigger job than my chassis builder could accomplish in the time alloted so we went for the fixed length welded in deal.

Pro/Cons:
I think big draw back is you pretty much have to have a roll bar to do it at all. The floor pan isn't very thick or rigid in that location so just attaching it like the old MOPAR's had, isn't going to be very strong. Maybe you could do something from the frame rails on either side of it from underneath but I didn't look at that.

As far bolting it in. I don't know how rigid it would/could be. Since I had already pretty much irreversably modified the car by welding the roll bar in it.... I figured the pinion support/snubber bar should be part of that package and welded in so it would be as strong as possible.

There is some additional driveline noise transmitted into the cabin. Not a big deal in my car since the motor/exhaust is so freakin loud but someone's honest daily driver you might want to be able to take it out for cruisng to work and road trips.

That's about all that comes to mind.
Will
Posted on: 2009/8/14 18:38

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Well, I was going to do the bump stop extension modification, but since my Vette is lowered 2 inches approximately, the half shafts are already a little past level, so a bump stop would make it solid right now. I guess I need to raise the Vette to get its geometry back to be effective.
Posted on: 2009/8/20 4:11

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Unless your drag racing on slicks this really isn't an issue.

unless of course your leaving the autox starting line with the nose in the air!
Posted on: 2009/8/20 13:23

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

You guys who have done the bump stop extenders, have you broken any parts since extending them? Have you noticed a reduction in the amount of part breakage? Just wondering how much they have helped.
Posted on: 2009/8/20 14:46

jonszr1 Re: Rear end gurus, step inside please.
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

i have just put them on my car and it seems to help the 60ft times a little .my car is lowered also so i se them so they only have 1/4 of clearence with the car at rest
Posted on: 2010/12/6 18:33
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.