Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
300 user(s) are online (252 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SuperRam Intake System
Originally designed by John Lingenfelter at LPE and manufactured by Accell, the SuperRam was the 1st aftermarket intake to improve upon the stock lon...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

95Vert Some thoughts on the C4 center console lid...
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

I think I've posted on plans for my C4 center console lid before. Its been sitting in the garage for a couple of months while I've been screwing around with other projects.

I had gone to the Carlisle swap meet and looked for some replacements as my vinyl is separating on the hinge edge from the body of the lid. Nothing really within my price range though. Corvette parts and even the Corvette swap meet were very expensive on the parts.

I guess I can put a "pillow" on top of it that some of the vendors sell, but with all due respect to those that have bought these, I'm not a big fan. They just don't look right to me for my car.

So, at the swap meet, I got some closed cell foam, big sheets of it for several projects. I cut a piece to size for the console top tonight and I cut a piece of tan leather to size that I got a while back at Tandy Leather. We normally get our leather on the internet for work we do, but this time I just wanted to get some hands on feel of what's available. Scored a nice piece of pigskin. Suede side or smooth side could be used.

I glued the foam to the lid so far. I took off the plastic piece on the inside of the lid and the hinge panel as well. Then secured one side of the leather under the hinges after marking and making the appropriate holes for the screws to go through. That secures the leather on one end for stretching around to the other side and securing with cement and the screws under the plastic liner under the lid.

I'm going to wait until morning for my spouse to cut the corners so I can secure it around the edges without folds.

Another interesting idea would be to get an embroiderer to stitch a design of your choosing into the leather prior to installation.

I know that there are high dollar guys out there doing this for the C5's. I've got a total of about $20 or so right now into the project in materials and I'm almost done.

Pictures to follow...

Ralf
Posted on: 2009/12/30 4:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Some thoughts on the C4 center console lid...
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/12/30 12:28

1Fast04Vert Re: Some thoughts on the C4 center console lid...
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

My lid was in great shape other than separating at the hinge side. I took it off and then took the hinge off of it. I then scraped all of the old glue out and reglued it with Gorilla glue. Then wrapped it very tightly with shrink wrap and set it on the workbench with a weight on top of it. Two years later and it is still like new.
Posted on: 2009/12/30 13:53

pianoguy Re: Some thoughts on the C4 center console lid...
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Matthew

Ditto!

My lid is in good shape, but I installed one of the "pillow" cushions on it last year. Other than not being able to fully open the lid now, I like it a lot - not so much the looks, but the comfort.
Posted on: 2009/12/30 14:12

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

BrianCunningham Re: Some thoughts on the C4 center console lid...
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

So far so good on mine.

I've seen them for older C4's but not the newer ones.

Look forward to seeing what you do.
Posted on: 2009/12/30 14:17

BillH Re: Some thoughts on the C4 center console lid...
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
My lid was in great shape other than separating at the hinge side. I took it off and then took the hinge off of it. I then scraped all of the old glue out and reglued it with Gorilla glue. Then wrapped it very tightly with shrink wrap and set it on the workbench with a weight on top of it. Two years later and it is still like new.

Which Gorilla glue,Andy ?

The vinyl was separating on mine around the button. I glued it with trim adhesive, Clamped it and it's held up for 2 years. I'm really supprised th the trim adhesive is holding up.

I have some of the 2 tube Gorilla epoxy, good stuff. but haven't used the others. I think there's 2 different types of the single tube GG.
Posted on: 2009/12/30 14:30

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95Vert wrote:

I know that there are high dollar guys out there doing this for the C5's. I've got a total of about $20 or so right now into the project in materials and I'm almost done.

Pictures to follow...

Ralf

Didn't you mention that you knew the Redline guys? I thought that they had made a few lid covers but I don't go "over there" anymore.
I do want one of their shift boots if I ever get around to it.
Posted on: 2009/12/30 14:34

jdtireman Re: Some thoughts on the C4 center console lid...
Senior Guru
Winnipeg
176 Posts

[quote]
95Vert wrote:
... I've got a total of about $20 or so right now into the project in materials and I'm almost done. ...

I did a similar project last winter with my sunvisors. The idea of paying $100 each for another unit that would eventually fail in the same fashion didn't work for me. I carefully took one apart so I could use the material as a patern, salvaged all the hardware, lights and mirror. I remade the internal structure with a similar grade carboard, covered that with black vinyl and contact cement, installed the mirrors and then stitched around the edges to give it a better look and more strengrh. They look OE and function as well or better than new. In fact the visors are the same for some of the early model C5's and I have been asked a couple times where I bought them. Total cost was about $25...Canadian...LOL
Posted on: 2009/12/30 15:01

95Vert Re: Some thoughts on the C4 center console lid...
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

When I got my new switch panel while pursuing the repair of my sport seats, I talked to the guy who sold me those switches. He also advocated the use of the Gorilla glue for the lid top repair.

My intent was to recover the lid with leather to match the interior and to make it more comfortable for my elbow. This is the same idea as the "pillow" tops.

We used to be in a competition with the Redline guy. He's in Poland...one thing that put me off to buying. There's not much recourse if he defaults or if there's a problem. He's been honest and does a good job so I've never heard of an issue. His business base is just too large now to engage in dishonesty. Its just me.

My wife will do the shift boot for the vette in the same leather as the lid top. I'll post pictures. We can usually do those for about $35.50 which includes the shipping in the US based on the RX7 stuff she did. Don't know if Maciek (Redline) does them cheaper, but he has a tremendous variety.

Ralf
Posted on: 2009/12/30 17:50

383tpimachine Re: Some thoughts on the C4 center console lid...
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

i have the pillow
ugly as hell but great until my car is no longer a daily driver
Posted on: 2009/12/31 3:00

flyboy Re: Some thoughts on the C4 center console lid...
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

I replaced the pillow foam with a piece of 1/2" thick carpet 'hair' pad. The lid now opens fully and has a more 'lived in' look.
Posted on: 2009/12/31 13:51

kenvetted Re: Some thoughts on the C4 center console lid...
Guru Newb
santa monica
13 Posts

The center console - Has anyone replaces the wiring to the light? Is there anything I should know before trying to take it all apart?

And what is the best way or glue to attach the separation on the hinge side that seems to be a problem on these cars?

Gorilla epoxy and then wrap the whole thing in tape to hold it tight until it dries?
Posted on: 2013/10/21 21:58

bogus Re: Some thoughts on the C4 center console lid...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the real problem? they used the foam as part of the structure... figure that one out...
Posted on: 2013/10/21 22:18

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

kenvetted wrote:
The center console - Has anyone replaces the wiring to the light? Is there anything I should know before trying to take it all apart?

And what is the best way or glue to attach the separation on the hinge side that seems to be a problem on these cars?

Gorilla epoxy and then wrap the whole thing in tape to hold it tight until it dries?

U sure it's the wiring, checked it with a test light? Just askin'.

Gorilla MAY work, might be a bit runny (but it is a good product), don't know how it will work with foam though. I did mine with the yellow weatherstrip adhesive. Had it off the car, used 2, 1 inch pieces of wood on the long edges with 2 bar clamps just tight enough to hold the vinyl in position, not squeezing it. Taped it first with masking tape. Hasn't come back apart in 5 years.
Posted on: 2013/10/21 23:02

pappyfreebird Re: Some thoughts on the C4 center console lid...
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

all dis talk bout lids n glus i hafta say strange group a rednecks , well mabee nawt,,i shmokked many a lids but nevar got inta de glue..mabee tulene as a kid ,,ok ill shut up n go stand ovar thar heyhuh...
Posted on: 2013/10/28 16:49

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.