Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
293 user(s) are online (197 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Ultraman Monday Chat 08-23-10
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

Very early good morning Guru's. Woofed down a Legendary Runza burger and onion rings at about 8:30 last night and it is still with me. Got some Mylanta in me but now I can't sleep. Ultrawoman and I were out for a drive in the Vette last evening, and we pulled in to the aformentioned Runza drive through (which in my opinion is as good or better than In an Out Burgers) and pulled up behind a blue C5. My wife said, "man look at the rear end on that thing". I said yeah they do have a big butt, there is a trunk though. Oh, a trunk would be nice, she replied. As the C5 left they had seen us behind them and they waved and let me hear the pipes. It sounded good to me and to the Mustang GT behind us.

I know the C5 is a better car in a lot of ways than a C4, but I never did like the back end on them. C6 looks trimmer but I really like the way my C4 looks.

Have a great day everybody, let's get out there and kick some business ass!
Posted on: 2010/8/23 10:35

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Monday Chat 08-23-10
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

At the demise of the C3 body style and the introduction of the C4 I initially was not a fan of the body style changes. Gone were the Mako look and the curvey lines that to me had marked the sytle of the Corvette. Even when I bought my C4, body style was not what lured me to it. It was the cockpit styling of the 90 and a 6 speed transmission, also the added ponies over the late generation C3 that lured me in. The C5 never grabbed me either as the most beautiful Vette I had ever seen, though again, the performance upgrades I always found alluring, especially in the 2002 Z06. As time passed I have grown fonder of the C4 body style. I can even go as far as saying I like it. I also like the fact that there aren't as many as there used to be. South Florida is dominated with C6s and C5s. C4s are less common even fewer C3s. C2s and C1s are pretty much relegated to car shows and cruise ins. Owning a Corvette, for me, is a dream come true. No matter what gen you own, you are among the fortunate few. Enjoy the ride.

___________________ ___________
Posted on: 2010/8/23 11:44

pianoguy Re: Monday Chat 08-23-10
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Probiotics can help make that burger and rings go away ;-)

Gonna be busy this week - I have to teach a class for the next few days. The challenge will be to keep the class from their e-mail and cell phones long enough to learn something.

Have a good day, everybody!
Posted on: 2010/8/23 12:13

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

Gonna be busy this week - I have to teach a class for the next few days. The challenge will be to keep the class from their e-mail and cell phones long enough to learn something.

Alright everybody, before we begin. I want everyone to turn off their cellphones and all other electronic devices.
Posted on: 2010/8/23 12:18

Matatk Re: Monday Chat 08-23-10
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Got another busy day planned. I need to get my new license plate tags, stop by the running shoe store, might change the trans fluid *might*, have to cut the grass, fit in a lifting workout, and a few other odds and ends. Later I need to pick up the wife's car from the city (got the body repairs done) and my neighbor and I are supposed to start on the new closet in the basement. Man aren't days off great!?!?

Ultra - I've never been to that joint, but you've got my interest piqued

Tommy - I fell in love with the C5 when I was in high school...it had just come out and man was it sweet. But now I'm a big fan of the C6 even though I thought it was ugly when it came out. I still like my C4, though, even if it is old and tired. I did get a wave from a new C6 yesterday, though

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/8/23 12:30

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

And that sounds like a class of adults versus middle schoolers, too!
Posted on: 2010/8/23 12:31

pianoguy Re: Monday Chat 08-23-10
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

Alright everybody, before we begin. I want eveyone to turn off their cellphones and all other electronic devices.

Unfortunately they'll need their computers for the class. But maybe I should be like my old grade school principal and wear a big knobby ring - he'd turn it around and give you a nice wake-up slap on the back of the head if you weren't paying attention.
Posted on: 2010/8/23 12:35

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

flyboy Re: Monday Chat 08-23-10
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Onion rings are a thanks, but no thanks food item for me nowadays.
Posted on: 2010/8/23 12:38

biggrizzly Re: Monday Chat 08-23-10
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Good Morning All,

Another day back into the grind! The humidity here seems like it will never go away this summer. My grass is out of control and its been raining off and on for a week. I hear we are supposed to get some nice weather later this week for Corvettes at Carlisle. I can't wait.

I'm taking off on Friday and driving up with my buddy Jim in his 2010 Z06!.. That should be exciting!

I'm still shedding weight, although not like the first ten days. I'm hoping to drop a few lbs each week for the next... well - let's just wait and see. Hoepfully I'll reach my goals and then I can post some Biggest Loser shots before and after. I got back on my bicycle again last week and have been on it three times since starting back. I have been riding about ten miles each trip out for now to just build up some base miles again. Then after I lose a few more lbs I'll step it back up to some of my earlier riding levels. I'm shooting for a late October 100miler that is scheduled by one of the local bike clubs.

As far as the C5 goes. I like its exterior styling, maybe not as much as the C6, but I'm not a fan of the plain Jane interior. I really love the interior of my C4 over even the newer C6.

Hope you all have a good day!
Posted on: 2010/8/23 12:48

BillH Re: Monday Chat 08-23-10
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

+1 on the interiors (but I like the C2 interior even more)

It must be Monday because the neighbors have their garbage cans out already.

The weather's been off the chart fantastic for the last month.

I'll be hitting the racetrack on Saturday and the Reno Air Races come up in 2 weeks.
Posted on: 2010/8/23 13:14

Ultraman Re: Monday Chat 08-23-10
Huskerland
14738 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Good Morning All,

As far as the C5 goes. I like its exterior styling, maybe not as much as the C6, but I'm not a fan of the plain Jane interior. I really love the interior of my C4 over even the newer C6.

Hope you all have a good day!

I was thinking the same thing the other day. I really like the interior of my 90 over the newer cars, but I'm like Bill the C2 will always be my favorite.

The Mylanta did it's job, I'm thinking Houevos Rancheros for breakfast.....hmmmm, or not.
Posted on: 2010/8/23 13:40

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
I'm thinking Houevos Rancheros for breakfast.....hmmmm, or not.

I'm thinking you have Houeves Grande.
Posted on: 2010/8/23 13:47

flyboy Re: Monday Chat 08-23-10
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

The '91 and I are taking the 400+mi. trip to Bowling Green tomorrow for a couple days. The scenic route on the way down.
After reading Bill H's thread on the Le Mans Corvette, my anticipation level is high. I haven't really gone anywhere this summer and this is my first visit to the museum/assembly plant, so I hope all goes well. If I get pulled over, I'll take T-Bone's advice and "accidentally" pull my Veterans card out of the wallet first. Can't hurt.
Posted on: 2010/8/23 15:26

teebee Re: Monday Chat 08-23-10
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Morning gurus.....late for me, but Ive had meetings all morning, so this is my first time at the computer. Our new Supt. is not the depressing speech giver the last one was. I'm almost looking forward to school this year. I left the district wide meeting in a good mood....last year I left mad and cussing, ready for retirement. Well, I did retire, but I'm back by choice and things look better with new leadership. Middle-schoolers are difficult to gain attention, but adults are much worse, the best to you today Brad. AAAHHH runzas, now you're making me hungry.....As for the "big butt", I've gotten past that, because of the perks we get because of it. Many are painting the lower recessed section right above the exhaust pipes black (similar to the way the C6's are from the factory) to reduce the "big butt" appearance...seems to work reasonably well.

Well, I got to run. Have a great day!
Posted on: 2010/8/23 16:28

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Vetron87 Re: Monday Chat 08-23-10
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Good afternoon guru's. Spent the morning at school, all the computers are down, created stress in few staff member .Tuesday we have morning breakfast and general meeting, afternoon work in our rooms or not. Have to travel to South Haven Mich for recovery dive work. A sailboater lost his 20 something hp Merc overboard off his transom, a woman from Chicago lost a diamond tennis bracelet, and a lawyer from St.Charles Ill. lost a Rolex Oyster series watch overboard. Hourly rate plus recovery fee. This could be a good gig. Yacht Club wants depth readings from the mouth of harbor. It should be slow or no boat traffic today. Better get going gets dark now at 8:49 about six hours to recover this crap. Have a great day guys. zoe6 is playing teacher today, running a training session on blah..blah something.
Posted on: 2010/8/23 18:56

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Wow, Ron, that sounds like fun. Like an underwater treasure hunt

My wife came up with new projects for me, so I'm off to install a new shelf in the closet....yeah....

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/8/23 20:01

zoe6 Re: Monday Chat 08-23-10
Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Good Evening Guru's. Just finished my In-Service to nurses doing their clinicals and doctors just beginning their internship. Comparative Anaylsis and how to reduce false negatives in their tissue samples. Another day the zo6 sits. I have been heels all day and I could strangle the guy that designed these. Taking my mom out to dinner tonight gets her mind off dad's diving ventures. I keep reminding her if they hit him with a boat they'll just get him mad! The Coast Guard keeps an eye on him when he's down.
Well guys got to get motivated here get off dads computer, eat dinner and crash. Hope to work on zo6 on Friday.
Posted on: 2010/8/23 21:35

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Good evening. Got all the stuff off the bottom of harbor and measured harbor depth. Had 5 minutes reserve left. 20 hp fourstroke Mercury outboard is not light weight. Found 2 toe rings, Recovered Rolex and tennis bracelet. Harbor master is in charge of recovered items. A third party is always good in recovery or salvage. Recovery fee is a set percentage plus hour rate min. per item.
Watched the sun begin its desent in the middle of the harbor in the water(prime target for getting hit) water temp was 83, 44 degrees at 62 ft.
Beautiful night, put the top down for trip home. Vette is running great! I could have just kept driving, then reality hit! school meetings tomorrow.
Posted on: 2010/8/24 0:21

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Ron, that sounds like a very profitable afternoon. We had mens night tonight, but this week is the first night of the club championship. So that means we don't play a scramble, but play our own ball for the round. Then next week they flight us according to our score this week. Well, I played the best round I've played in more than three years....sounds great, but that means I'll be playing with guys way above me next week, talent wise and I've just donated $40 to someone else. Two of the guys I played with tonight that I beat, will play guys I should be playing. I just can't sandbag. Even though I knew I was play out of my league tonight, I just couldn't "take a dive". Me and my dam* principles.

See you guys tomorrow!
Posted on: 2010/8/24 2:09

Resized Image

1Fast04Vert Re: Monday Chat 08-23-10
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

How can you find things like a watch and bracelet like that?
I would think the water would be very murky.
Posted on: 2010/8/24 2:23

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote: Even though I knew I was play out of my league tonight, I just couldn't "take a dive". Me and my dam* principles.

This may be the start of something big. Think positive. You own the ball. You own your clubs. Go get em Tiger.
Posted on: 2010/8/24 2:24

Ultraman Re: Monday Chat 08-23-10
Huskerland
14738 Posts

Ron, it sounds like they could make a reality show out of what you do. Teebee, I feel I should apologise for infering that C5's have fat butts. It was careless and unfeeling and I am sorry if I offended anyone by telling the truth.
Posted on: 2010/8/24 2:39

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Thanks Tommy.....but I'm a realist, even the guys I'm playing with sandbag some, they'll come back next Monday and shoot 4-6 strokes better. I'll do my best, but I'm figuring that I've just donated.
Posted on: 2010/8/24 2:39

Resized Image

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
How can you find things like a watch and bracelet like that?
I would think the water would be very murky.

With little or no boat traffic water is clear, bottom was dredged several years ago and loaded with sand. Bottom is only 30 to 40 ft. deep. Sandy bottom high sun, makes bottom highly visiable. The owners will mark by slip address where the location of boat in slip. Heavy objects like watches and tennis bracelets will usually plunge straight down from drop location. Outboard motor was a little more difficult. From owners report it was dropped before harbor entrance in 62-70' depth. Mercury outboard is black in color and the light begins to break up after 30' and really becomes a problem at 60' with a rocky bottem. Underwater flashlight, a grid pattern and some luck. I used a spare divers floatation vest deflated, wrap vest around outboard inflat vest and control ascent. At 60-70' depth for 15min I have to decompress at 30'level for 5 minutes. On the surface my dive flagged rigged floatation device I have a coast guard 250lb rated life jacket, that aids in handling the outboard. Then its just kicking your floation rig and yourself back into the harbor. Its impossible to do this during heavy boat traffic periods. Kick about 200 yards get out on floating dock and done. Problem I have is my equipment is all black and the human eye can't see or differentiate between dark blue deep water and diving equipment. I hope this makes sense.
Posted on: 2010/8/24 2:56

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Posted on: 2010/8/24 3:11

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0HqwzPsw5O4? ... t;</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0HqwzPsw5O4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Fun in the pool/ check out black dual 72s and Royal aqua master regulator.
Posted on: 2010/8/24 3:17

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

That's not how they did it in the movie.
Posted on: 2010/8/24 3:20

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

What movie??
Posted on: 2010/8/24 3:24

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Problem I have is my equipment is all black and the human eye can't see or differentiate between dark blue deep water and diving equipment. I hope this makes sense.

I solved your problem - this should correct the problem with all your equipment blending in:

Resized Image

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/8/24 11:20

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

What movie??

Posted on: 2010/8/24 11:32

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

What movie??

Wow Tommy I never watched it! Hollywood! Back in the day Halo jumps we had WWII style parachutes. Nothing says, "hello here we are" then an high flying USAF C-130 with 8 chute canopies poping open at 1,400 ft. Couldn't control landing or location much. That will fill your BDU's.
Posted on: 2010/8/25 0:32

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.