Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
286 user(s) are online (247 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C3
Abbreviation for the 3rd generation of Corvettes built from 1968-1982....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Thursday Chat 11.11.10
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Good Mawning.
I gave my son some of my old stereo equiptment a couple of weeks back. He needs a little help setting it up correctly so I'm off to help him for a little bit. Then I have to round up all the cleaning chemicals. Tommy Doubtfire is back on the job. Yesterday was yard day. Today .... inside the house day. Tomorrow I have to wait for an incoming order at the nursery then the rest of the day should be mine. Wifey will be working a 3 day plant show Fri,Sat,Sun.
Posted on: 2010/11/11 13:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Thursday Chat 11.11.10
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Attach file:

jpg  man maid (not T T-B).jpg (60.29 KB)
852_4cdbebd08de56.jpg 480X640 px
Posted on: 2010/11/11 13:12

pianoguy Re: Thursday Chat 11.11.10
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Greetings! Looks like the worm has turned - gonna maybe be 50 today, then headed downhill, highs in the 30's over the weekend. Probably time to drag the snowblower out of the shed and get it ready.

Happy Veteran's Day to all the vets out there. My sister sent me this story:

Cemetery Watchman

My friend Kevin and I are volunteers at a National cemetery in Oklahoma and put in a few days a month in a 'slightly larger' uniform.

Today had been a long, long day and I just wanted to get the day over with and go down to Smokey's and have a cold one. Sneaking a look at my watch, I saw the time, 1655. Five minutes to go before the cemetery gates are closed for the day. Full dress was hot in the August sun. Oklahoma summertime was as bad as ever--the heat and humidity at the same level--both too high.

I saw the car pull into the drive, '69 or '70 model Cadillac Deville, looked factory-new. It pulled into the parking lot at a snail's pace. An old woman got out so slow I thought she was paralyzed; she had a cane and a sheaf of flowers--about four or five bunches as best I could tell.

I couldn't help myself. The thought came unwanted, and left a slightly bitter taste: 'She's going to spend an hour, and for this old soldier, my hip hurts like hell and I'm ready to get out of here right now!' But for this day, my duty was to assist anyone coming in.

Kevin would lock the 'In' gate and if I could hurry the old biddy along, we might make it to Smokey's in time.

I broke post attention. My hip made gritty noises when I took the first step and the pain went up a notch. I must have made a real military sight: middle-aged man with a small pot gut and half a limp, in Marine full-dress uniform, which had lost its razor crease about thirty minutes after I began the watch at the cemetery.

I stopped in front of her, halfway up the walk. She looked up at me with an old woman's squint.

'Ma'am, may I assist you in any way?'

She took long enough to answer

'Yes, son. Can you carry these flowers? I seem to be moving a tad slow these days.'

'My pleasure, ma'am.' (Well, it wasn't too much of a lie.)

She looked again. 'Marine, where were you stationed?'

'Vietnam, ma'am. Ground-pounder. '69 to '71.'

She looked at me closer. 'Wounded in action, I see. Well done, Marine. I'll be as quick as I can.'

I lied a little bigger: 'No hurry, ma'am.'

She smiled and winked at me. 'Son, I'm 85-years-old and I can tell a lie from a long way off. Let's get this done. Might be the last time I can do this. My name's Joanne Wieserman, and I've a few Marines I'd like to see one more time.'

'Yes, ma 'am. At your service.'

She headed for the World War I section, stopping at a stone. She picked one of the flower bunches out of my arm and laid it on top of the stone. She murmured something I couldn't quite make out. The name on the marble was Donald S. Davidson, USMC: France 1918.

She turned away and made a straight line for the World War II section, stopping at one stone. I saw a tear slowly tracking its way down her cheek. She put a bunch on a stone; the name was Stephen X. Davidson, USMC, 1943.

She went up the row a ways and laid another bunch on a stone, Stanley J. Wieserman, USMC, 1944.

She paused for a second and more tears flowed. 'Two more, son, and we'll be done'

I almost didn't say anything, but, 'Yes, ma'am. Take your time.'

She looked confused. 'Where's the Vietnam section, son? I seem to have lost my way.'

I pointed with my chin. 'That way, ma'am.'

'Oh!' she chuckled quietly. 'Son, me and old age ain't too friendly.'

She headed down the walk I'd pointed at. She stopped at a couple of stones before she found the ones she wanted. She placed a bunch on Larry Wieserman, USMC, 1968, and the last on Darrel Wieserman, USMC, 1970 She stood there and murmured a few words I still couldn't make out and more tears flowed.

'OK, son, I'm finished Get me back to my car and you can go home.'
Yes, ma'am. If I may ask, were those your kinfolk?'

She paused. 'Yes, Donald Davidson was my father,Stephen was my uncle, Stanley was my husband, Larry and Darrel were our sons. All killed in action, all Marines.'

She stopped. Whether she had finished, or couldn't finish, I don't know. She made her way to her car, slowly and painfully.

I waited for a polite distance to come between us and then double-timed it over to Kevin, waiting by the car.

'Get to the 'Out' gate quick. I have something I've got to do.'

Kevin started to say something, but saw the look I gave him. He broke the rules to get us there down the service road fast. We beat her She hadn't made it around the rotunda yet.

'Kevin, stand at attention next to the gatepost. Follow my lead.' I humped it across the drive to the other post.

When the Cadillac came puttering around from the hedges and began the short straight traverse to the gate, I called in my best gunny's voice: 'TehenHut! Present Haaaarms!'

I have to hand it to Kevin; he never blinked an eye--full dress attention and a salute that would make his DI proud.

She drove through that gate with two old worn-out soldiers giving her a send-off she deserved, for service rendered to her country, and for knowing duty, honor and sacrifice far beyond the realm of most.

I am not sure, but I think I saw a salute returned from that Cadillac.

Instead of 'The End,' just think of 'Taps.'

As a final thought on my part, let me share a favorite prayer: 'Lord, keep our servicemen and women safe, whether they serve at home or overseas. Hold them in your loving hands and protect them as they protect us.'

Let's all keep those currently serving and those who have gone before in our thoughts. They are the reason for the many freedoms we enjoy.
'In God We Trust.'
Posted on: 2010/11/11 13:13

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

flyboy Re: Thursday Chat 11.11.10
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Amen.
Posted on: 2010/11/11 13:27

BillH Re: Thursday Chat 11.11.10
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Brought a tear to my eye, Brad.
Posted on: 2010/11/11 13:34

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Yes, my screen got a little blurry, too. And Tommy's picture didn't help any, either ;-)
Posted on: 2010/11/11 13:36

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Epimax Re: Thursday Chat 11.11.10
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Brought a tear to my eye, Brad.

Amen..
Thanks for posting Brad..
Posted on: 2010/11/11 13:40

Vetron87 Re: Thursday Chat 11.11.10
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Excellent story Brad! Veterans Day has always been and will always be a solemn day for me! I ask the same questions why did I survive and others didn't? The edge of living and death is measured in nanoseconds and fractions of an inch. I should not be here! I saw death, I caused death, and the horrors that go with it short term and long term of the decisions I made dealing with our enemy. Will humans ever evolve where war is useless endeavor?
Wow I got to serious for a minute!
Nice picture I think Tommy! WTF is that in a maid outfit????
BillH should have a field day with this!!!
Well guys we are having a fire drill now! Have a great day
God Bless our warriors.
Posted on: 2010/11/11 13:40

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
I ask the same questions why did I survive and others didn't?

The WWII guys on World War II in HD said the same thing last night.

If you haven't seen the above, it's worth the time, really well done. It's on the History Channel, very long, 10, one hour shows. I'm watching it for the second time.

And, World War II in HD in Air premired last nite.
Posted on: 2010/11/11 13:54

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
BillH should have a field day with this!!!

In honor of Veterans Day, I'm not rassing Tommy today.

Unless he does the usual.
Posted on: 2010/11/11 13:58

biggrizzly Re: Thursday Chat 11.11.10
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Good Mornin' all

I slept in a little this morning to recharge my batteries!

It's Veterans Day!!! Thank You Military Men and Women, parents, and siblings of military men & women taken away for short term and eternal. We salute you.

I almost forgot that I have a luncheon this afternoon at the University of Maryland School of Engineering. I spent many days there about 25 years ago. They invited me to the luncheon because over the past so many years we have contributed over $10,000 to a scholarship annuity fund for any deserving automotive engineering student. This year the fund reached maturity and they can give a part of the money to help a student. Additionally, last year when one of our members passed away, his widow donated a large sum of money to the school as well in his name. I get to meet the student today and have lunch with the other companies and people that donate to the engineering school.

I'm hoping to visit my engine builder today on the way back from the luncheon. I'm taking a change of clothes so I can revert from sophistication to wrench monkey quickly before arrival!

I hope you all have another great day!
Oh yeah I almost forgot... Thanks for the early HCF!
Posted on: 2010/11/11 14:00

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
I almost forgot that I have a luncheon this afternoon at the University of Maryland School of Engineering. I spent many days there about 25 years ago. They invited me to the luncheon because over the past so many years we have contributed over $10,000 to a scholarship annuity fund for any deserving automotive engineering student.

Very cool,Don.

I was luckly enough to get a scholarship from Borg-Warner for automotive engineering. Without it, it would have been very tough.

A student out there struggling to get into college will be greatful for what you're doing.
Posted on: 2010/11/11 14:04

Matatk Re: Thursday Chat 11.11.10
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Nice post, Brad, we appreciate that. Let's not forget what this day means!

As far as me, it's my day off. I have some errands to run, might try to get the Xmas lights up, try to cut the grass and put away the lawn furniture. Other than that, who knows?

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/11/11 14:13

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
I ask the same questions why did I survive and others didn't?

The WWII guys on World War II in HD said the same thing last night.

If you haven't seen the above, it's worth the time, really well done. It's on the History Channel, very long, 10, one hour shows. I'm watching it for the second time.

And, World War II in HD in Air premired last nite.

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Many times I steer clear of War Documentaries especially at night. it has a tendency to get me thinking! which is a bad thing at times...I would have never become a "great thinker"
Posted on: 2010/11/11 15:05

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Many times I steer clear of War Documentaries especially at night. it has a tendency to get me thinking! which is a bad thing at times...I would have never become a "great thinker"

It is a tad emotional when they show the Vets speaking their thoughts, most of the narration is by actors, but a lot of shots of the Vets themselves.

This is the best WWII documentary I've seen.
Posted on: 2010/11/11 15:45

cuisinartvette Re: Thursday Chat 11.11.10
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Happy Bday pianoguy

Late to bed late to rise...cold out coffees on.

Meet with the lawyer at 11:30, then to see if this dude has finished my trans..or sold it been 2 weeks now lol.

Porting most the afternoon getting buried with work, which is a good thing, seems parts are showing up almost every week
Posted on: 2010/11/11 16:36

teebee Re: Thursday Chat 11.11.10
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12367 Posts

Good morning guys...I seemed to have missed yesterday. I had a post started, then sh!t happened and I never got it posted.

A wonderful Veterans Day to all you who served...THANK YOU. The story brought a tear to my eye as well. Bill I have seen parts of the documentary it is really good. My dad would never talk about his service, not until he started going to his bomber group reunions, then he started opening up a little. Don, that's a great thing that you have done.

Well, I need to get some things done...I'll check in later.
Posted on: 2010/11/11 16:37

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
Happy Bday pianoguy

Oh well ..... whether it is or it isn't.

Posted on: 2010/11/11 16:43

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Good morning guys...I seemed to have missed yesterday. I had a post started, then sh!t happened and I never got it posted.

A wonderful Veterans Day to all you who served...THANK YOU. The story brought a tear to my eye as well. Bill I have seen parts of the documentary it is really good. My dad would never talk about his service, not until he started going to his bomber group reunions, then he started opening up a little. Don, that's a great thing that you have done.

Well, I need to get some things done...I'll check in later.

Like Tom, I begin to post and something happens, at school, at home, in the garage. Last night started to post and my dog upchucks in the kitchen! my wife gets a little nuts since a couple of her book club women are talking about some damn thing eating cake and drinking coffee Good Dog! As I'm cleaning it up I make the comment what's this slimeeee looking stuff. Wow that cleared them out quick. Prissy bunch! Dogs ok!!!
Posted on: 2010/11/11 17:37

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Ya, dog puke has it's challenges. I try not to look directly at it while cleaning as it might cause a chain reaction. The only thing worse is newborn baby $#!+. That takes a really strong stomach.
Posted on: 2010/11/11 18:15

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

What color was it???

Attach file:

jpg  dp.jpg (0.00 KB)

jpg  dp1.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/11/11 18:43

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Yeh my Collie is a Class Act! at 13 she can puke with the best of them. Tommy you needed to see the women to appreciate the timing! imagine the women from Dancing with the Stars. Gucci Shoes with dog vomit on them,how cool is that! a Coach purse with chucks, gawd I love this dog! Before that she was licking herself in front of them. I wish I could say I taught her that! and the timing, but no she learned that on her own.
Posted on: 2010/11/11 18:50

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
What color was it???

Light brown and chucky! A little chicken a little bile,some rice and carrots.Uhm..uhm.. good.
Posted on: 2010/11/11 18:52

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
What color was it???

Light brown and chucky! A little chicken a little bile,some rice and carrots.Uhm..uhm.. good.

And After?

Attach file:

jpg  funny-collie-04.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/11/11 23:09

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Ron, you're lucky - at least you get some entertainment out of your dog's ralphing. My dog seemed to only get sick in the middle of the night - she'd go to whatever remote corner of the house involved moving the heaviest most awkward furniture to clean up whatever disgusting stain she left. Good times.
Posted on: 2010/11/11 23:35

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Can't beat walking barefoot into a carpeted room in the dark only to feel the slop seeping between your toes.

hop... hop... hop ....
Posted on: 2010/11/12 0:53

zoe6 Re: Thursday Chat 11.11.10
Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Hi Guys! I have been super busy! Eating dinner at my parents tonight.
No traveling lately just 12 hour days/6 days a week. I was accepted at Indiana University to begin my Doctorate in January. Dad can't figure out why. To make him happy I told him I was doing my studies in welding . Nah its really in Micro.
I think dad needed to vent today! Veterans Day is always a personnal day for him! Tommy your humor kinda set the tone today. Thank You.
Having homemade pizza and garlic bread for dinner. I really miss driving the ZO6. I get 2 weeks at Christmas for a much needed vacation. I think its clutch time for her.
Our 13 year old Collie has made blog history with her regurgetation behavior. It is funny! Gucci and Coach purses the things legends are made from.
Well guys I hope to stay I touch more often! just busy. My boy friend bought a Ram Truck with a Hemi instead of the Ford. Looking at the engine specs I don't think its a true Hemi with domed pistons. I could be wrong!
Gotta go its time for pizza. Erin
Posted on: 2010/11/12 1:10

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

zoe6 wrote:
Having homemade pizza and garlic bread for dinner. Gotta go its time for pizza. Erin

Yea, pizza. I made up pizza dough tonite but it's got to sit in the fridge for a couple days to cold ferment.
Posted on: 2010/11/12 1:32

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Here's what we have to look forward to:

http://bradprestonmusic.com/Humor/fakewomen.wmv
Posted on: 2010/11/12 3:56

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.