Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
271 user(s) are online (224 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Liter
Metric unit of measure. In the case of engine displacement, it measures the total volume of all combustion chambers. Therefore in a 5.7L V8, each cha...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone 928 Pics
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Here's some from the delivery.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Posted on: 2011/4/17 17:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: 928 Pics
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

The rear hatch wouldn't latch so rather than duct tape (jk) we used a rope. It was just to make sure it didn't fly open on the highway. It worked. Made it 1526 uneventful miles. The pics make it look a little better than it really is but overall it's not bad. Good base project car.
Posted on: 2011/4/17 17:14

rklessdriver Re: 928 Pics
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Dosen't look bad at all! IF the engine is as good as the rest of the car, you should be able to make quick work of it.

It's a 5spd! Have fun getting use to the down and left 1st gear.

Congrats. I miss mine now.
Will
Posted on: 2011/4/17 17:17

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

bogus Re: 928 Pics
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

shop vac, simple green, rug dr, armor all & leather conditioner - that interior will clean right up.

5spd? Looks like I am seeing a clutch pedal... or a dead pedal.

I suspect the hatch is just gummed up or out of alignment.

Looks way cool!!!! Can't wait to hear how the progress goes!!!
Posted on: 2011/4/17 17:19

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Ultraman Re: 928 Pics
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

Not a bad fixer upper! Should keep you out of trouble for awhile.
Posted on: 2011/4/17 18:06

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

j3studio Re: 928 Pics
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Congratulations! Here's hoping the issues are small and easily fixed.
Posted on: 2011/4/17 19:06

Matatk Re: 928 Pics
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

The pics look good, Tommy. Get ready for a hot interior with the black on black, huh?

How much work do you anticipate for the drivetrain?

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/4/17 22:23

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I drained the fuel, got power to everything. Somebody (the wife) turned the key too far when checking the electrical system and turned over the engine a couple of revolutions. Actually it turned over freely for the little time I heard it. She knows I want to change the oil and filter and get a little marvel mystery oil into the cylinders and top end before any of that happens. The primary issue was fuel delivery when he put it up 5 years ago. He was working on it just before he died. On the agenda is a new fuel filter,fuel pump relay and fuel pump. None of those are too expensive. The plugs look to be a bear to change. The car is really in amazingly good shape for sitting around for 21 years in various stages of repair. I drove the car in 1990 so I know it should run. I'm gonna dance an Irish jig when that baby fires up. I know it will. There might be a transmission issue. I remember him mentioning it years ago. In any case, we made some progress today. A little at a time. Then there are lots of little things that need to be repaired/replaced. Time has taken it's toll on the plastic levers on the heating/cooling control panel, the clock and other trivial stuff.

Attach file:

jpg  Ha ha.jpg (20.25 KB)
852_4dab751eec47e.jpg 250X399 px
Posted on: 2011/4/17 23:24

pianoguy Re: 928 Pics
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Excellent!
Posted on: 2011/4/18 1:13

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

The plugs are not that bad to change. Just get a long extension and go inbetween the intake runners from the top. Now routing new plug wires under the Intake runners and inbetwwen them and Plenum is another story....

As for tranny issue. All pre S4 5spd 928's have a bad sycro/blocker ring, 1st to 2nd gear. I mean ALL of them. Every single one I have driven is a little rough on the 1 to 2 gear change and the bad thing is they were doing it within 10K miles of leaving the factory... It is just a bad design that Porsche finally got figured out 10yrs into building the car.
Will
Posted on: 2011/4/18 13:16

flyboy Re: 928 Pics
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

As is on the license plate, I'm sure you will provide the TLC that it needs.
Posted on: 2011/4/18 13:57

teebee Re: 928 Pics
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

She looks like a nice little project there, Tommy.
Posted on: 2011/4/18 14:36

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

biggrizzly Re: 928 Pics
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Very Cool Toy! I had a friend in college that drove his dad's 928 to school when he had the chance. It was cool car back then for sure!! His dad was an anesthesiologist and his plates read "SANDMAN". Have fun with it.
Posted on: 2011/4/18 14:43

JeffK Re: 928 Pics
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Those seats are cool. It looks like a fun project Tommy. It doesn't look too bad from the pics but we all know how misleading they can be. Hopefully they are not too far off.
Posted on: 2011/4/18 20:14

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Spent the afternoon in the hot sun cleaning up the interior. A couple of pieces of cracked plastic here and there but I'd say 95% of it is pretty good. I'll have to take more interior pics in the daylight. Got the relay and fuse panel diagram so I was poking around in there a little. Have to find out about clutch fluid specs. Might be giving my Porsche mechanic a little work. Primarily get it running and fix the tranny/clutch issues. I don't mind paying him. He's always been fair and reasonable to me. No sense in just throwing parts at it.
Posted on: 2011/4/18 23:25

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Get ready for a hot interior with the black on black, huh?

How much work do you anticipate for the drivetrain?

Matthew

You know I love the look of black on black. Just don't care for the heat it generates. Hell my 911 is black too with a deep dark red interior. We were out in it Sunday. Even with the A/C it was hot. Porsche was never a leader in A/C technology.
Posted on: 2011/4/18 23:29

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Depending on the nature of the cracked interior pieces, you might be able to fix some of them with this stuff:

http://plastex.net/
Posted on: 2011/4/19 0:17

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

biggrizzly Re: 928 Pics
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I checked back here tonight to see if you had the car finished yet! LOL
Posted on: 2011/4/19 0:17

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
The plugs are not that bad to change. Just get a long extension and go inbetween the intake runners from the top. Now routing new plug wires under the Intake runners and inbetwwen them and Plenum is another story....

As for tranny issue. All pre S4 5spd 928's have a bad sycro/blocker ring, 1st to 2nd gear. I mean ALL of them. Every single one I have driven is a little rough on the 1 to 2 gear change and the bad thing is they were doing it within 10K miles of leaving the factory... It is just a bad design that Porsche finally got figured out 10yrs into building the car.
Will

Will -

Can you apply the improved syncro/blocker ring to the older transmissions?
Posted on: 2011/4/19 0:45

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Maybe I'll give it my best shot and then give it to the mechanic if it doesn't work. That way he'll have less to look at. Whatever I do will have to be done anyway. Today I engaged the clutch and the pedal stayed on the floor. It was working OK the other day. I have a repair manual coming in the mail. That should be a great help. I've been finding lots of info on the web too. Pelican Parts blogs and several other resources have given me some good info. I've been tracking down some BBS parts too. Still hunting for a center cap screw in assembly I have 3 center caps and two lug plates . I have to pick up 2 lug plates and the wheel correct center cap. That's just cosmetics though. The mechanicals are the next thing on the hot sheet. Ain't no sense in dressing up a car that ain't running. First things first. Motor .... clutch .... cosmetics
Posted on: 2011/4/19 1:33

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

LOL Just read this while perusing the 928 forum at Pelican.

Quote:
m21sniper said:
Dude, to totally do this right yourself is a $600.00 job, so relax, the sky has not fallen.

The 79 is NOT an interference engine, and do NOT take your car to that mechanic EVER again. He is ignorant, and a blatant rip-off.

$600 for everything you need, special tools(flywheel lock, tension tool), all the parts(water pump, idler puller, cam pulleys, tensioner rebuild kit, belt), the works.

Any of the 928 specilty houses can sell you exactly what you need, and give you real good pointers advice on how to do it yourself. As can the nichols site, and this (and the various other 928) board(s). This is not even a particularly hard job. Shocks or motor mounts are both much more frustrating and time consuming jobs on a Shark IMO.

You are about to learn a lot about your 928, and get a lot more intimately attatched with it...and save THOUSANDS.

I found out quite a bit about the fuel pumps (2). I have a bunch of parts ready to order and I'm getting ready to dig in. I just wanted to find out a little about the timing belt. So far I'm going to get as much done myself as I can. Later, if I have issues, I'll call up my mechanic. From what I was reading the 79 was not particularly fond of ethanol mixed fuel. I have found an ethanol free gas station locally. It's actually alot better for my boat too from all I've read and heard.
Posted on: 2011/4/19 4:20

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

10% to 15% ethanol shouldn't harm a car... a boat? different animal.
Posted on: 2011/4/19 5:15

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Will -

Can you apply the improved syncro/blocker ring to the older transmissions?

I don't think so. Completely different syncro system.

Best bet once they start to grind a bit IMO is to either (1) lean to live with a slightly notchy 1-2 gear change or (2) spend the $$$ and upgrade it to a G28-10 or newer transaxel that uses the Borg Warner syncro's.

My 84 had 2 trannys in it over my ownership. Suffice to say drag racing wasn't the thing to do on a regular basis with these cars.... First tranny broke on my second trip to the track. Both had the "bad 1-2 synco" deal. I drove over 100,000 miles on tranny number 2 and it never got any worse and the fluid looked great on 50K interval changes....

BTW "tranny problems" can also mean the clutch is adjusted wrong... early 928's have a 9" dual disk clutch that is a SOB to set and maintain the free play in correctly and if the car has had clutch work that is something you'll want to check. Having the clutch disks adjusted too tight can actually do real damage to these trannys' as oposed to their just normal notchyness.
Will
Posted on: 2011/4/19 15:25

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Hey Billy. You want to take a stab at why when I engaged the cutch the pedal it stayed on the floor? I checked the master cylinder and the fluid level was under the min mark. You think it could be air in the system? Do the clutch and brakes work off the same master cylinder? That what I was drawn to believe and I haven't found a slave master. I'm still waiting for my repair manual so I've been surfing for info on the web. Some of my questions I've found answers to. Interesting. The master cylinder has a siphon bulb on top. I filled the mc and pumped it to pressure but maybe I'll have to do it a couple more times. In the mean time I'll search for more info on the cluth hydrolics.
Posted on: 2011/4/19 16:16

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Hey Billy. You want to take a stab at why when I engaged the cutch the pedal it stayed on the floor? I checked the master cylinder and the fluid level was under the min mark. You think it could be air in the system? Do the clutch and brakes work off the same master cylinder? That what I was drawn to believe and I haven't found a slave master. I'm still waiting for my repair manual so I've been surfing for info on the web. Some of my questions I've found answers to. Interesting. The master cylinder has a siphon bulb on top. I filled the mc and pumped it to pressure but maybe I'll have to do it a couple more times. In the mean time I'll search for more info on the cluth hydrolics.

Yep, it's air. My 84 did that when I let it sit too long... I went on a 9 month deployment. I came home and went to start it and the clutch went right to the floor and stayed there....

I just pulled it back up, using my hand to bring it back up off the floor and worked it like you would normally 2 person bleed brakes. Took a few mins but eventually it had enough peddel to stay up about 1/2 way off the floor by itself. Then I started it in gear and drove it to the shop (right up the road) and we flushed and bled the system.

Bleeding the thing was a circus act all to itself...

I seem to remember that the clutch and brakes use the same reservoir. Should be a hose going from the reservoir down and over to the clutch master. I don't remember my 84 having a siphon bulb on it. I do seem to remember the clutch master being burried next to the fender under the brake master/boster....

The slave is easy to find. Look on the bottom of the bellhousing - on the passenger side. It faces forward towards the oil pan.

Here is some really good diagrams of the systems and parts on the 928.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-pa ... -82/porsche_928_parts.php

I used these almost every time I worked on mine, glad to see they still offer them free online. I'd hate to give you bad info as my memory is pretty good but I sold the 84 back in 2004, so alot of stuff might be fuzzy....
Will
Posted on: 2011/4/19 18:08

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Thanks for the tips. Fuzzy info is better than no info at all.
Posted on: 2011/4/19 18:22

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Got some parts and a Chiltons manual for the 928. Repair manuals (except on CD) seem to be hard to come by. Shop manuals ... sheesh. $400 partial set 900 full set. My $40 Chiltons will do for now. It has a lot of basic info I was looking for. Thanks guys for your interim help. This sucka has 2 fuel pumps and a 3 split resevoir for the brakes and clutch. They work off the same resevoir. My goodie box that arrived today has 2 hood struts, 2 hatch struts. front windsheild wipers, assorted fuses, a gas filter, an oil filter and a fuel pump relay. I'm working my way back to the fuel pumps. The front fp is $165 for a rebuilt and 240 for a new in tank fuel pump. One I change the oil and filter, check the fuel lines and replace the fp fuse and relay we'll see how the pumps are doing. There is a nationwide Porsche parts supplier around 30 miles away so I'll probably drive up for some other needed parts. I'm getting a little more hands on with this Porsche. Not afraid to dig in and lots of stuff is more accessable than a Corvette. Pretty straight forward I'll update later with the progress we make. I was checking the right front fender area that has some fluid stains. I wet my finger and swirled it through the area and the whitish film was lifting right off. I thought it was imbedded but apparrently it's just surface stuff. Cool! I have some areas around the windows that will need some attention and under the front windshield on the hood deck. Since it looks like an easy match black I may do some patch and paint work too. Not delving into cosmetics too much yet. The interior is looking pretty good though.
Posted on: 2011/4/23 3:17

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I placed an old sheet over the engine bay and removed the insulation from under the hood. It was some nasty dry flaky stuff so I scraped it off. Yes, the car used to be red. Still have to remove the old adhesive layer. I'll get to that later.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's a couple of cleaned up interior shots.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The muffler had some surface rust so I took a set of wire brushes to it. I'll post some after pics later. I repainted it with a high heat black.

Photobucket

I got the hood and rear hatch struts so I'll soon be rid of the hood and hatch sticks.
Posted on: 2011/4/23 3:39

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

New matts are also on the buy list but not till I hear the engine sing.
Posted on: 2011/4/23 3:42

Ultraman Re: 928 Pics
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

Men at Work! Looks like some progress is being made!
Posted on: 2011/4/23 3:47

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

awesome!
Posted on: 2011/4/23 6:20

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
New matts are also on the buy list...

We are?

Pics look good, Thomas!
Posted on: 2011/4/23 12:47

BillH Re: 928 Pics
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Hey Billy. You want to take a stab at why when I engaged the cutch the pedal it stayed on the floor? I checked the master cylinder and the fluid level was under the min mark. You think it could be air in the system?

Probably air, it's strange that there's no return spring on the pedal.
If you do try the fill & pump, you may get something but their may still be air in the lines. You can't be sure until you fire up the motor.

The adhesive on the hood - I'd try the 3M spray that's used to loosen weatherstrip. It doesn't mess up paint.

Came across this: http://members.rennlist.com/pirtle/
Posted on: 2011/4/23 13:56

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Making good progress, Tommy! I wonder if that muffler would be a good candidate for this:

http://www.por15.com/BLACK-VELVET/productinfo/BVG/
Posted on: 2011/4/23 18:30

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Came across this: http://members.rennlist.com/pirtle/

That's a great page, Bill. One of these days I should build one for the vette like that. One stop shopping
Posted on: 2011/4/23 18:42

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Mistakingly posted on the other thread so I'll repost it here where it's meant to be.

Update. Replaced the front wipers, hood struts, hatch struts, fuel pump relay, a couple of fuses in the fuse panel including the fuel pump fuse, the fuel filter and repaired the hatch lock that wasn't locking. Repaired with a well placed shim. Now I have to see if the fuel pump is getting any power. Still not getting any pressure so I'll check the lines and fuel pump operation. I'm also going to check all electrical systems to find out what's working and whats not.

Baby steps .....
Posted on: 2011/4/25 13:08

Epimax Re: 928 Pics
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Very Nice!!
Posted on: 2011/4/25 16:35

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

making progress! Can't wait to hear it runs again!
Posted on: 2011/4/25 18:14

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.