Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
298 user(s) are online (245 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

NC Kid Ive hit black gold! (oil)
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Ok, I am sure everyone here knows about this and I am changing my oil next week due to a fuel problem.....Haha. Anyway, I used Royal purple last time and it just caught by eye once again. Amsoil. Duh! It's expensive true at 17 dollars a quart but it seems pretty good and I am going to give it a try just for kicks and giggles. Now their filter, I just did a comparision against wix and a few other brands including mobil1 filters and the Amsoil filter appears to be better than all of them....Expensive true but I like the way it looks and the way it's designed seems very well thought out.

I thought I would *share* my opinion on the matter as I think filters are a top priority and I used FRAM ALONG TIME AGO. Never again. I got a wix on there now but I might call Amsoil and talk to there service hotline.

And in case anyone wants to use the old excuse, don't use synthetic or it will make your motor leak. Thats FALSE! I changed to synthetic mobil 1 a few years back and nothing ill came of it concerning leaks. Yea, it was more expensive but that is irrelevant in this thread. Better to be safe than sorry...
Posted on: 2011/12/4 20:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Ive hit black gold! (oil)
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Amsoil has a very good reputation. I wouldn't expect you to have any problems with it.
Posted on: 2011/12/4 20:18

PLRX Re: Ive hit black gold! (oil)
Senior Guru
SoCal
212 Posts

I use Mobil 1 engine oil on all my vehicles but, currently I changed from TWS Castrol (ZF Doc recommended) to Amsoil Synchromesh in my Manual transmission.

Im very satisfied with the results, it has smoother and easier shifts. I guess the TWS is too thick for it.
Posted on: 2011/12/4 20:25

josephf31 Re: Ive hit black gold! (oil)
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

[quote]
NC Kid wrote:
Ok, I am sure everyone here knows about this and I am changing my oil next week due to a fuel problem.....Haha. Anyway, I used Royal purple last time and it just caught by eye once again. Amsoil. Duh! It's expensive true at 17 dollars a quart but it seems pretty good and I am going to give it a try just for kicks and giggles. Now their filter, I just did a comparision against wix and a few other brands including mobil1 filters and the Amsoil filter appears to be better than all of them....Expensive true but I like the way it looks and the way it's designed seems very well thought out.

I thought I would *share* my opinion on the matter as I think filters are a top priority and I used FRAM ALONG TIME AGO. Never again. I got a wix on there now but I might call Amsoil and talk to there service hotline.

And in case anyone wants to use the old excuse, don't use synthetic or it will make your motor leak. Thats FALSE! I changed to synthetic mobil 1 a few years back and nothing ill came of it concerning leaks. Yea, it was more expensive but that is irrelevant in this thread. Better to be safe than sorry...[/quote

Thanks for the update; however, IMHO switching to synthetic oil CAN (not necessarily WILL) cause some oil seepage, but only in high mileage and/or "loose" engines.
Posted on: 2011/12/4 20:55

BillH Re: Ive hit black gold! (oil)
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Amsoil has a very good reputation. I wouldn't expect you to have any problems with it.

Amsoil's a fine product...but outrageously overpriced.

And it's not going to protect your motor any better than Mobil 1 (or many others).

Heck, I ran a SBC to 250k miles on dyno (Quaker St) before it started to use oil.

My Silverado's at 140k on M1 with zero oil usuage.

If you want to pay for Amsoil, run it, it's your car, your decision.
Posted on: 2011/12/4 22:28

PeteK Re: Ive hit black gold! (oil)
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Yup.
Run what you want.
I have a 7 qt pan. I save $84 each time I change my oil.
I value the beer I buy with the money I save much more than knowing I have a "premium oil"
Pretty cool how people can have such opposite priorities.
Posted on: 2011/12/5 0:11

TommyT-Bone Re: Ive hit black gold! (oil)
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

My 99 Yukon gets a synthetic blend. 132,000 miles and no oil consumpion. Porsches like oil for a snack. Some oil consumption is expected but they carry between 11 and 13 quarts of quality regular oil. (air cooled) The two Vettes, 91 synthethic, 90 blended. I have heard that full synthetic in a motor brought up on dino can seep at the seals and gaskets when trying to convert. Sometimes no issues, sometimes it seeps. If it seeps change back to regular oil. I think the most important thing is keep your oil changes up with a quality oil and use a good to great oil filter. Haven't heard anything negative about Amsoil. Just a pain in the ass to get so make sure you have what you need on hand.
Posted on: 2011/12/5 1:15

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
. Just a pain in the ass to get so make sure you have what you need on hand.

I run the same Mobil 1 in:

The C4
The Silverado
The racecar
The generator
The snowblower
The lawnmower (but I don't use it)
And the sir compressor

easy peasy
Posted on: 2011/12/5 1:32

RickAnthony Re: Ive hit black gold! (oil)
ASE Master Certified
Downers Grove, IL
703 Posts

Amsoil is great stuff, and yes expensive... I have had some great results with their ATF, had some customers who tracked their C5 Z06's who had their trans temp warning come up with the OEM fluid, drained and refilled their trans with AMSOIL syn atf. And problem gone.. so far I've been impressed....

Now that being said, yes mobil 1 is a great product as well. The obvious and most important when it comes to oil changes and fluids in general, is changing them and within a reasonable time. Along with using a quality product..
-=Rick
Posted on: 2011/12/5 4:07
RickAnthonyMotorsports.NET

rklessdriver Re: Ive hit black gold! (oil)
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Motor oil is motor oil.....

Most engines will never know the difference. They don't make enough HP and can't place enough strain on things to break down even the most sucky new oil.

Amsoil is like a cult for the people who sell it and use it. I swear it's worse than Tupperware, Mary Kay or Amway....

The last thing I need is Joe Schmo stopping me at the water cooler and telling me how much better my Corvette would be if I just bought some Amsoil from him and ditched that Deisel Oil - which BTW will clog your cat, foam up at high RPMs, break sludge loose and kill the oil pump, ect....

Amsoil does make a good product but so do the other boutique brands - Joe Gibbs, Brad Penn, Royal Purple, Red Line, Schaeffer, and Torco..... Personally if I wanted to over pay for oil I'd buy from them so I can avoid all the 500K mile Camery stories from Joe Schmo.....

Then there are the common brands - Mobil, Shell, Valvoline, Castrol, Kendall, Pennzoil..... They all make a product that will work in any HP or engine application known to man. Personally I perfer to stroll into AutoZone/Advance/NAPA/Car Quest/Wal-Mart and pick up a couple of gallons of XXX 15W40 for my 92 and not have to talk to anyone about anything oil related.

No offense to anyone that is a believer in brand X oil. It's your $$$ and your entitled to put whatever oil in your stuff if you want. I like to keep in mind that placebo's are effective in drug test about 40% of the time.... If good thoughts and sugar pills make cancer patients feel better - I know alot of the "my car runs better because of XXX oil" is all in people's heads.

Best thing a man can do is to know what weight oil is correct for his application and when to change it. Know when the oil's useful life is over and plan a maintenance schedule accordingly. If you do that, about any oil will work as good as the next.

Will
Posted on: 2011/12/5 5:06

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Matatk Re: Ive hit black gold! (oil)
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I buy what's on sale. No brand preference, as long as it's a good one. I generally use wix, bosch, or mobil filters.
Posted on: 2011/12/5 5:26

Steve40th Re: Ive hit black gold! (oil)
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

I just did an Oil Analysis of my Mobil at 9000 miles, yes 9000 miles. It stated I had 2000 more miles to go on this oil. In all fairness, it was my Toyota S, 2002 Corolla. But the point is the oil was still good. I use Wix filters also.
Amsoil and Royal Purple are good oils no doubt, but they are just Shell oil with their additives.
Flame suit on, but oil is only as good as the base stock imho. Its not like 1950's oil. It so much better than the oil where a 3000 mile mentality of changing still rings through jiffy lubes around the nation.
Posted on: 2011/12/5 6:19

Steve40th Re: Ive hit black gold! (oil)
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

One fo my favorite oils is Shell Rotella. Always a very good oil at a price that is great. They even have synthetic. Oil analysis shows this oil to be one of the best on the market. Wal Mart carry's it.
Posted on: 2011/12/5 6:22

jonszr1 Re: Ive hit black gold! (oil)
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

i like the mobil one and the wix filters for my zr1 . the 90 just hit 200,000 miles with over 200 runs at the strip. uses about 1/4 of a qt in 5 k miles . did a leak down on her the other day and had 6% leak down in the worst cylinder. works for me
Posted on: 2011/12/5 6:51
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

TommyT-Bone Re: Ive hit black gold! (oil)
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I love oil and battery threads.
Posted on: 2011/12/5 12:42

Ultraman Re: Ive hit black gold! (oil)
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14750 Posts

If the engeneers at Chevy, who I'm thinking did their homework, recommend it and use it, then that is good enough for me......

Posted on: 2011/12/5 13:35

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
Personally I perfer to stroll into AutoZone/Advance/NAPA/Car Quest/Wal-Mart and pick up a couple of gallons of XXX 15W40 for my 92 and not have to talk to anyone about anything oil related.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 13:51

NC Kid Re: Ive hit black gold! (oil)
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

I was talking alot about the filter mainly. Check out the website and look over the filter. I have meant to go to amsoil in the past but I end up grabbing something at Oreilys. Why doesn't store chains sell amsoil. Strange. I thought it was a good idea because I read it had more zinc and that was needed for my flat tappet cam.
Posted on: 2011/12/5 15:03

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.