Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
331 user(s) are online (285 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Cigarette Lighter
Does it work?

If not, the fuse is hidden… behind the Driver Information Center (DIC) on the 1984-1989, and under the right knee bolster on the ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

captmike13 Wednesday 5 Nov 2014
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

Good morning gang.

Day after election. The senate is in republican control.
Let's see what happens for the next two yrs.

As far as today goes it is going to be sunny and temps in the low 50's.

Word of the Day Wednesday, November 05, 2014

pusillanimous \ pyoo-suh-LAN-uh-muhs \, adjective;

1.lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted; timid.

2.proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit.

Origin:

Pusillanimous is derived from the Latin words pusillis meaning "small" and animus meaning "spirit." It entered English in the late 1500s.

Today is NATIONAL DOUGHNUT DAY

November 5, of each year, is one of two National Doughnut Days that are celebrated by doughnut lovers across the nation. The first Friday in June is the other day that doughnuts are the star of the show.

For more information on National Doughnut Day when celebrated in June, click here.

The history of the doughnut is disputed:
◦ There is one theory that suggests they were invented in North America by Dutch settlers who were responsible for popularizing other American desserts including cookies, apple pie, cream pie and cobbler.
◦An American, Hanson Gregory, claimed to have invented the ring shaped doughnut in 1847 while on board a lime-trading ship at the age of 16. He claimed to have punched a hole in the center of dough with the ship’s tin pepper box and later taught the technique to his mother.
◦Anthropologist Paul R Mullins states that the first cookbook mentioning doughnuts was an 1803 English volume which included doughnuts in an appendix of American recipes.
◦An 1808 short story describing a spread of “fire-cakes and dough-nuts” is the earliest known recorded usage of the term “doughnut“.
◦A more commonly cited first written recording of the term is Washington Irving’s reference to “doughnuts” in 1809 in his History of New York. He described “balls of sweetened dough, fried in hog’s fat and called doughnuts. Today, these “nuts” of fried dough are called doughnut holes.

“Donut”
◦Peck’s Bad boy and his Pa, written by George W. Peck and published in 1900, was the first known printed use of “donut” in which a character is quoted as saying, “Pa said he guessed he hadn’t got much appetite and he would just drink a cup of coffee and eat a donut.”
◦It is said that the alternative spelling “donut” was invented when the New York-based Display Doughnut Machine Corporation abbreviated the word to make it more pronounceable by the foreigners that they hoped would buy their automated doughnut making equipment.

Doughnut is the more traditional spelling however, doughnut and the shortened form, donut, are both pervasive in American English.

A few of the many different types of doughnuts across the United States include: frosted, glazed, powdered, sugar, chocolate, Boston cream, coconut, sour cream, cinnamon, jelly, cider and potato.

To celebrate National Doughnut Day, try making your own homemade doughnuts with one of the following
“tried and true” recipes:
http://www.food.com/recipe/best-baked-doughnuts-ever-73315
http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-drop-doughnuts-139668
http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipe ... doughnuts-10000001609357/
http://www.cooks.com/recipe/jj3w36td/chocolate-doughnuts.html

HAPPY NATIONAL DOUGHNUT DAY!

NATIONAL DOUGHNUT DAY HISTORY

National Doughnut Day, an “unofficial” National holiday that is celebrated on the first Friday in June, was created by The Salvation Army in 1938 to honor the women who served the doughnuts to soldiers in World War I. This day began as a fund raiser for Chicago’s Salvation Army. The goal of their 1938 fund raiser was to help the needy during the Great Depression.

Within our research, we were unable to find the creator of the November National Doughnut Day, an “unofficial” national holiday which is celebrated each November 5.
NATIONAL DOUGHNUT DAY

November 5, of each year, is one of two National Doughnut Days that are celebrated by doughnut lovers across the nation. The first Friday in June is the other day that doughnuts are the star of the show.

For more information on National Doughnut Day when celebrated in June, click here.

The history of the doughnut is disputed:
◦ There is one theory that suggests they were invented in North America by Dutch settlers who were responsible for popularizing other American desserts including cookies, apple pie, cream pie and cobbler.
◦An American, Hanson Gregory, claimed to have invented the ring shaped doughnut in 1847 while on board a lime-trading ship at the age of 16. He claimed to have punched a hole in the center of dough with the ship’s tin pepper box and later taught the technique to his mother.
◦Anthropologist Paul R Mullins states that the first cookbook mentioning doughnuts was an 1803 English volume which included doughnuts in an appendix of American recipes.
◦An 1808 short story describing a spread of “fire-cakes and dough-nuts” is the earliest known recorded usage of the term “doughnut“.
◦A more commonly cited first written recording of the term is Washington Irving’s reference to “doughnuts” in 1809 in his History of New York. He described “balls of sweetened dough, fried in hog’s fat and called doughnuts. Today, these “nuts” of fried dough are called doughnut holes.

“Donut”
◦Peck’s Bad boy and his Pa, written by George W. Peck and published in 1900, was the first known printed use of “donut” in which a character is quoted as saying, “Pa said he guessed he hadn’t got much appetite and he would just drink a cup of coffee and eat a donut.”
◦It is said that the alternative spelling “donut” was invented when the New York-based Display Doughnut Machine Corporation abbreviated the word to make it more pronounceable by the foreigners that they hoped would buy their automated doughnut making equipment.

Doughnut is the more traditional spelling however, doughnut and the shortened form, donut, are both pervasive in American English.

A few of the many different types of doughnuts across the United States include: frosted, glazed, powdered, sugar, chocolate, Boston cream, coconut, sour cream, cinnamon, jelly, cider and potato.

To celebrate National Doughnut Day, try making your own homemade doughnuts with one of the following
“tried and true” recipes:
http://www.food.com/recipe/best-baked-doughnuts-ever-73315
http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-drop-doughnuts-139668
http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipe ... doughnuts-10000001609357/
http://www.cooks.com/recipe/jj3w36td/chocolate-doughnuts.html

HAPPY NATIONAL DOUGHNUT DAY!

NATIONAL DOUGHNUT DAY HISTORY

National Doughnut Day, an “unofficial” National holiday that is celebrated on the first Friday in June, was created by The Salvation Army in 1938 to honor the women who served the doughnuts to soldiers in World War I. This day began as a fund raiser for Chicago’s Salvation Army. The goal of their 1938 fund raiser was to help the needy during the Great Depression.

Within our research, we were unable to find the creator of the November National Doughnut Day, an “unofficial” national holiday which is celebrated each November 5.
Posted on: 2014/11/5 12:16

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Wednesday 5 Nov 2014
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

I don't eat a lot of doughnuts. I prefer simple glazed when I get one. I don't need anything too fancy. My wife gets those doughnut holes for the kids every once in a while. Those are pretty irresistible and you don't feel too bad eating one...or two...or three...

Temps yesterday were actually pretty enjoyable. I think today should be in the upper 50s again.

Looks like we may have a new Governor in the State of Illinois. I don't know if it's 100% official yet, here's the info:

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/11 ... ner-pat-quinn-112547.html

In more "honest" political news:

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/11 ... in-reelection-112572.html

I will admit that I am not a political person. I prefer the ostrich method of politics. I bury my head in the sand and hope it goes away. Honestly I feel that no matter who you put in office, they are eventually going to screw us anyway. You can't win.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew

PS.... http://www.ostriches.org/factor.html#head
Posted on: 2014/11/5 12:41

teebee Re: Wednesday 5 Nov 2014
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Morning guys...early morning meeting, so I am up and around. My BIL's wife is upset/pissed off because of the election (staunch Demo and Obama lover), she's posted crap on FB. Hasn't posted anything there in months, now this. I think it's funny.

Weather here yesterday was nearly perfect, mid 60's and no wind. Not sure what today is supposed to be like, they never ran any weather, because of the election returns. I guess we'll take whatever comes.....that goes for both the weather and the election.
Posted on: 2014/11/5 13:06

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

BrianCunningham Re: Wednesday 5 Nov 2014
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Well anyone who thinks their votes doesn't count can't say it after last night.

Whole string of close counts!
Posted on: 2014/11/5 13:44

pianoguy Re: Wednesday 5 Nov 2014
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Téwú!

Glad election season is over. Just think, we get to do it all again in 2 years. Meanwhile, the number of shopping days until Christmas is dwindling.

Have a good day, all!
Posted on: 2014/11/5 13:46

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

istter1 Re: Wednesday 5 Nov 2014
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

for get Christmas how many days till Thanksgiving.
Posted on: 2014/11/5 14:30

captmike13 Re: Wednesday 5 Nov 2014
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

I don't think about Christmas until AFTER thanksgiving.
Posted on: 2014/11/5 15:03

captmike13@yahoo.com

teebee Re: Wednesday 5 Nov 2014
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

How can you NOT think about Christmas before Thanksgiving? The retailers have shoved it in our face for a several weeks already.

Just spent a wonderful hour in early morning meeting....what a joy.
Posted on: 2014/11/5 15:15

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Ultraman Re: Wednesday 5 Nov 2014
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14739 Posts

Looks like the people have had their say about things....now lets see if these new folks can do anything different...

Weather is not bad here for No fun no sun No vember so we shall go forth and attempt to make money which is a challenge on any day...

I have not put the GS away nor will I until the snow is blowing and ice is on the blacktop....I do have some projects for it this winter but have not finalized them yet.

Ring Ring......gotta go.....enjoy your day Guru's....
Posted on: 2014/11/5 15:20

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

pianoguy Re: Wednesday 5 Nov 2014
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Posted on: 2014/11/5 15:25

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

GRIS Re: Wednesday 5 Nov 2014
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7647 Posts

STILL CLOUDY IN THE NATIONS BUT THE RAIN IS OVER FOR A WHILE, GOT A LITTLE OVER AN INCH AND A HALF. IF IT DRIES OUT QUICK HARVEY MAY GET TO COME OUT OF THE BARN TODAY.

GLAD THE ELECTION IS OVER, BUT THE ONLY DEMOCRAT I VOTED FOR (COUNTY COMMISSIONER) LOST.

I AM HAPPY THE EVIL PARTY TOOK A WHIPPING; IT REMAINS TO BE SEEN WHAT USE THE STUPID PARTY CAN MAKE OF THEIR OPPORTUNITY. IT WOULD BE WELL FOR THEM TO REALIZE AND REMEMBER THEY WON AS THE LESSER OF TWO EVILS. BUT THEN THEY WOULDN'T BE THE STUPID PARTY ;-)
Posted on: 2014/11/5 15:28

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

BillH Re: Wednesday 5 Nov 2014
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

GRIS wrote:

I AM HAPPY THE EVIL PARTY TOOK A WHIPPING; IT REMAINS TO BE SEEN WHAT USE THE STUPID PARTY CAN MAKE OF THEIR OPPORTUNITY. IT WOULD BE WELL FOR THEM TO REALIZE AND REMEMBER THEY WON AS THE LESSER OF TWO EVILS. BUT THEN THEY WOULDN'T BE THE STUPID PARTY ;-)

Exactly
Posted on: 2014/11/5 15:31

captmike13 Re: Wednesday 5 Nov 2014
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

I still feel sorry for Louisiana voter who have another month of ads for senate race due to the run off in Dec.
Posted on: 2014/11/5 16:12

captmike13@yahoo.com

TommyT-Bone Re: Wednesday 5 Nov 2014
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Never married and no kids, this guy loved to have people over to play with his organ.

https://gma.yahoo.com/michigan-home-sa ... -news-house-and-home.html
Posted on: 2014/11/5 16:36

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Yesterday afternoon my neighbor in the next voting booth looked over and said to me "This is easy, just vote for the one with the R next to it.".

Working out back. 19 of 20 yards of sand are spread. Break time is over. Back to work.
Posted on: 2014/11/5 16:41

vetteblondie Re: Wednesday 5 Nov 2014
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

Raining here again today and cooler - glad all the political ads and mailbox stuffers are gone. Changes here too, and Arkansans voted to raise the minimum wage. Now with the changes in office those who have health insurance under the expanded plan here in Arkansas will lose it as the Repubs promised to not fund it. The crackwhores that sit home spitting out kids all day and stay on welfare to get theirs - fine but there are those like me who do work and pay taxes who cannot afford $400-600 a month for health insurance that those subsidies did help that will lose out. I guess I will see what crack I fall into when the dust settles on that one.
On a lighter note - the car insurance people have still been screwing with my policy in their change over - got that straightened out this morning and if they are telling me the truth, I will have a nice sized rate drop. That's a blessing. Thank God.
Posted on: 2014/11/5 17:02

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

When it comes to politics and other peoples beliefs I take it all lightly. I live in Tommy World where I am The President, The Secretary of the Treasury. Minister of Defense, Supreme Court Justice and have my own direct line with one I call God. This is all overseen by Sue of course. When you are the ruler of your own world, outside influences take a back seat to the nation of self, except for April 15th and the month of November when I pay all due income and property taxes. These are unavoidable interactions with the powers that be. I give them what they want, they leave me the f@(% alone.

Ring ............ Ring ............

Gotta go ...... It's the Hot Line ...........
Posted on: 2014/11/5 18:01

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Téwú!

Posted on: 2014/11/5 18:04

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Téwú!

I think BillH was wearing Leisure Suits in those days. (or maybe they were just his mechanics coveralls)

Posted on: 2014/11/5 18:08

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

BillH Collection

Attach file:

jpg  billh collection.jpg (16.68 KB)
852_545a694f39c92.jpg 385X500 px
Posted on: 2014/11/5 18:15

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Téwú!

I think BillH was wearing Leisure Suits in those days. (or maybe they were just his mechanics coveralls)

While you all were acting gay on the dance floors, I preferred jeans and boots along with my "Disco Sucks" tee shirt.

Attach file:

jpg  yam.jpg (521.92 KB)
881_545a84388559a.jpg 1463X1046 px
Posted on: 2014/11/5 20:10

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

BillH Collection

Hardly, all my coveralls look like this.

I could explain it to you sometime, it's about driving.

Attach file:

jpg  Bill Hetzel copy.jpg (128.30 KB)
881_545a85c082441.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2014/11/5 20:13

Ultraman Re: Wednesday 5 Nov 2014
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14739 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Téwú!

While you all were acting gay on the dance floors, I preferred jeans and boots along with my "Disco Sucks" tee shirt.

That pic of yours looks familiar to me.....although my T shirt read Death before Disco....

Resized Image
Posted on: 2014/11/5 20:48

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Matatk Re: Wednesday 5 Nov 2014
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

BillH Collection

Hardly, all my coveralls look like this.

I could explain it to you sometime, it's about driving.

Clearly Bill prefers pastels, Tommy.
Posted on: 2014/11/6 0:06

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Close with .........

Posted on: 2014/11/6 2:47

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Posted on: 2014/11/6 3:03

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.