Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
320 user(s) are online (283 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

captmike13 Wednesday 26 Nov 2014
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

Good morning gang.

Chilly here this morning temps in the mid 20's. It should be partly cloudy today with highs in the upper 20's.

Hope everyone is ready for Turkey day tomorrow. We're ready to go. We got the bird thawed and some pies made already and other prep work done.

Let's get started shall we.

Word of the Day Wednesday, November 26, 2014

pabulum \ PAB-yuh-luhm \, noun;

1.material for intellectual nourishment.

2.something that nourishes an animal or vegetable organism; food; nutriment.

3.pablum.

Origin:

Pabulum is dervied from the Latin verb pāscere meaning "to feed." The suffix -bulum is used in formation of instrumental nouns. Pabulum entered English in the mid-1600s.

Today is NATIONAL CAKE DAY

Today celebrates a dessert that you will find at almost everyone’s birthday party regardless if they are age 1 or over 100. It is also very commonly the dessert of choice at bridal showers, baby showers, wedding receptions, anniversary parties, retirement celebrations, graduations and so many other get together’s and social events. Often served with ice cream. Cake is a dessert or snack favorite of millions of people across the nation, even if it is not part of a celebration. November 26th celebrates cakes each year on National Cake Day.

It may be a bundt cake, cake roll, layer cake, sheet cake, yeast cake, sponge cake, butter cake, fruitcake, cheesecake or one of the many other kinds of cake and it may be made at home from scratch, made from a box mix or bakery/store bought, whichever way, a cake can be one, or a combination of, thousands of flavors.

No one can know how many, as there are countless cake recipes, some of which are bread-like, some rich and elaborate and many are centuries old.

At one time considerable labor went into cake-making, today, baking equipment and directions have been simplified and making cakes can now be enjoyed by both, professional and amateur alike.

Cakes typically contain a combination of flour, sugar, eggs and butter or oil, with some variety of liquid which may be milk or water, along with a leavening agent such as yeast or baking powder. Flavorful ingredients are often added, for example; chopped nuts, fresh, candied or dried fruit, fruit purees or extracts.

There is a long history in the term “cake”. The word itself has a Viking origin from the Old Norse word “kaka”.

Enjoy the following “tried and true” cake recipes:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/black-forest-cake-i/

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/lemon-pudding-cakes

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/zucchini-cake-2

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pineapple-pudding-cake

HAPPY NATIONAL CAKE DAY

NATIONAL CAKE DAY HISTORY

Within our research, we were unable to find the creator of National Cake Day, an “unofficial” national holiday.

NATIONAL TIE ONE ON DAY

National Tie One on Day might confuse people with it’s name however it is not at all about going out, getting crazy and drinking to much while others are at home, working hard preparing for tomorrow’s big Thanksgiving Day meal.

National Tie One on Day celebrates the apron as well as the past generations of women who wore them and it was also created as a day to bring joy to the life of someone in need and celebrate the spirit of giving.

“Women clad in aprons have traditionally prepared the Thanksgiving meal, and it is within our historical linkage to share our bounty.” Ellyn Anne Geisel

As part of National Tie One on Day, Buy an apron, bake something, tuck a note of encouragement in the pocket of the apron (or pin it on it), wrap the baked good in the apron and give it to someone in need on Thanksgiving Eve.

Happy National Tie One on Day!

NATIONAL TIE ONE ON DAY HISTORY

National Tie One on Day, an “unofficial” national holiday, was created by best-selling author Ellyn Anne Geisel, who is also the author of the book titled, “The Apron Book”.
Posted on: 2014/11/26 11:20

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Wednesday 26 Nov 2014
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Misimpin mes am Dios acquenpin
Posted on: 2014/11/26 11:31

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

TommyT-Bone Re: Wednesday 26 Nov 2014
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Wednesday
Posted on: 2014/11/26 12:24

Matatk Re: Wednesday 26 Nov 2014
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

Wednesday

All day.
Posted on: 2014/11/26 13:08

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Kids are off school today so they can sleep in a bit. They got to bed pretty much on time last night, only about a half an hour late. We went out for a family dinner at Mongolian BBQ and had a nice meal, but that took up most of the evening. We are taking the grandkids later to get a Christmas photo for the family since we don't have one of the three of them together.

Still cold so I guess it's not spring yet

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2014/11/26 13:11

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Hope everyone has a great day!

All day.
Posted on: 2014/11/26 13:12

teebee Re: Wednesday 26 Nov 2014
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Morning guys....pickup is loaded and ready to head east. We'll be meeting Marcus in about 4 hours. Wind isn't blowing yet, but it's supposed to a little later. So. I'd like to get as far down the road before it starts.

I'll check in later.
Posted on: 2014/11/26 13:39

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Greetings! If I'd been smart, I'd have brought my laptop home yesterday and worked from home today. But I'm not, so here I am. Traffic was delightful - an appropriate speed for the conditions was probably 50, so a lot of folks were going 20 to 30. Makes for a smooth commute. Meanwhile, tomorrow will be the coldest Thanksgiving in about 30 years, so that will be fun.

Bundle up, Gurus!
Posted on: 2014/11/26 13:39

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Morning guys....pickup is loaded and ready to head east. We'll be meeting Marcus in about 4 hours. Wind isn't blowing yet, but it's supposed to a little later. So. I'd like to get as far down the road before it starts.

I'll check in later.

Are you taking the Vette? [jk]
Posted on: 2014/11/26 14:22

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I wiped my face with a wet face cloth and cleaned my left eye. When I looked back in the mirror I had a black eye. I must have disturbed something. Blood and fluid from the surgical area took quick notice and relocated in my eyelid. Looks like I'll have traces of the procedure for weeks to come till the body takes care of it. Oh well, on with the show. Off to the courthouse in Miami to get some records straight. I was just there 2 weeks ago. Apparently didn't do something right. There goes another 3 hours. Now I look a little like a suspect that resisted.
Posted on: 2014/11/26 14:33

1Fast04Vert Re: Wednesday 26 Nov 2014
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Yesterday I had chemo in the morning and then therapy for my shoulders in the afternoon. Then we went to Longhorn Steakhouse for dinner. Had an excellent meal, highpoint of an otherwise miserable day.
Posted on: 2014/11/26 15:34

vetteblondie Re: Wednesday 26 Nov 2014
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

Tommy - hope eye heals quickly - in the mean time, blame in on your wife
Cold here this morning but we're due to hit 65+ by the weekend. Sunny and warmer weather for turkey day tomorrow. Got a couple cheesecake pies made and potatoes baked for the sweet potato pies, other stuff laid out for the eclair trifle, corn cassrole and my cheesy bread. I found a can of whole cranberries in sauce and I have spare whipped cream and a fresh pineapple so I might do a cranberry fluff to get that stuff out of the house.
Boss tried to get me not to work today but rather work 4 days next week. I'd rather come in today and get it over with. Hoping it stays calm.
Ad lady from the paper chased me down already but it was for a nice blessing - gave me a card and a bottle of some really nice hot sauce for Thanksgiving.
Posted on: 2014/11/26 15:39

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

GRIS Re: Wednesday 26 Nov 2014
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7643 Posts

SUNNY AND COLD IN THE NATIONS THIS MORNING. THE WIND IS PICKING UP AND THE CHEROKEES ARE TURKEY HUNTING. AT SAFEWAY,KROGERS, AND RIESERS, MOSTLY.

"NATIONAL TIE ONE ON DAY"? REALLY CAUGHT MY INTEREST FOR A SECOND THERE, TALK ABOUT DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING :-0

NEW ADDITION TO FAMOUS LAST WORDS (WHAT NOT TO SAY TO A MAN WITH A GUN):
"You are too much of a pussy to shoot me"
Posted on: 2014/11/26 16:23

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7643 Posts

SOUNDS LIKE EVERYBODY'S GOT ACHES, PAINS, ILLS, OWWIES,AND SUCH.
FEEL GOOD MOJO TO ALL. EAT, DRINK, AND BE MERRY, FOR TOMORROW YOU'LL TOO FULL TO WADDLE.
Posted on: 2014/11/26 16:48

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

GRIS wrote:

No comment
Posted on: 2014/11/26 16:50

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Tommy, between you and Gris, an opthalmologist could make a killing here.
Posted on: 2014/11/26 16:50

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Eye mojo, Tommy!

Meanwhile, we are going to my niece's for Thanksgiving tomorrow, and they're having spaghetti. Easy to carve.
Posted on: 2014/11/26 17:01

KPotter Re: Wednesday 26 Nov 2014
Elite Guru
Cuyahoga Falls OH
1072 Posts

What a "fun" day. Sitting here with nothing to do, watching other departments get an early dismissal. We leave it up to the managers to decide and mine isn't real big on doing nice things for his people.

Had the 'vette out last night for a little spin. Waiting to see what the weather man has planned for the next few days, I might be able to sneak in another ride or 2 before putting it away for the winter. I would like to drive it to PA tomorrow for Thanksgiving at Mom's but the weather doesn't look so good right now.

And now I am getting the old "Invalid Submission, try again later message."
Posted on: 2014/11/26 17:57

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

GRIS wrote:

No comment

Some people always have to have the last word ..... Literally.
Posted on: 2014/11/26 18:14

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

So I was getting ready to walk up the courthouse steps (How come court houses have to have steps?) and an attorney leaving with his client looks at me and says ..... "You should have seen the other guy. heh heh " People are funny. Got done what I needed done ..... I think .....
Posted on: 2014/11/26 18:19

Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7643 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Tommy, between you and Gris, an opthalmologist could make a killing here.

I THINK MINE WENT ON THE CRUSE WITH TOMMY, IN "SENATORIAL CLASS"
Posted on: 2014/11/26 18:27

teebee Re: Wednesday 26 Nov 2014
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Made it to KC. Met Marcus and made the transfer, thankfully he had Uboy and one of his friends with him to help. Would have been tough without them.

Now waiting for the help to show up here and unload the piano, not looking forward to that.

#1 daughter is hosting a thanksgiving dinner tonight....not sure if she informed the men that they have to help unload a piano before they get to eat. Ought to be exciting.

Going east wasn't too bad, but turning north was the spits. The wind was howling from the northwest. Once I got on Interstate 70 wasn't too bad again. As we went further east the temps kept dropping, close to freezing right now.
Posted on: 2014/11/26 23:01

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Ultraman Re: Wednesday 26 Nov 2014
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

Ya Tom, thanks for bringing those along......that worked out great. Nice to see you both also. Took us longer going home and the fuel gauge dropped accordingly.....damn it was windy and cold. Got them inside and will get the doors and shelves put on sometime this weekend. My wife thinks they are too good for the shop......I said.....not for my shop.....and she gave me the look....Uboy and his bud slept most the way home.....I was somewhat annoyed when we had to wait for his friend to show up but very glad he did after we saw the size of the cabinets.......big mofo's......

Got homemade Taco's ready to eat and so I will.......more later Guru's......
Posted on: 2014/11/27 0:39

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.