Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
276 user(s) are online (246 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  NHMS
New Hampshire Motor Speedway. This is the new name for New Hampshire International Speedway from now on. ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

captmike13 Last day in April. 4/30/2015
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

Good morning gang.

I had a posat all done but I was getting invalid submission errors.

Not much going on today. Nice with temps in the upper 50's lower 60's.

Word of the day is piffle.

Today is NATIONAL BUGS BUNNY DAY

Resized Image

National Bugs Bunny Day is celebrated each year on April 30. Bugs Bunny is the famous cartoon character best remembered for his roles in Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies produced by Warner Bros. He is known for his popular catch phrase “What’s up, doc?” Bugs Bunny first appeared in a short film on April 30, 1938, and has since been enjoyed by millions of viewers.

CELEBRATE

Celebrate National Bugs Bunny Day by hosting a Bugs Bunny cartoon marathon party. On April 30, wish Bugs Bunny a Happy Birthday using #NationalBugsBunnyDay on Social Media.

HISTORY

National Bugs Bunny Day is an “unofficial” National holiday. Our research was unable to find the creator of this day.

http://www.dates.abouttravelingthewor ... -holidays/bugs-bunny-day/

NATIONAL RAISIN DAY

Resized Image

April 30 celebrates another food holiday known as National Raisin Day. Raisins are made from tiny dried grapes. Sunlight dries most grapes naturally in vineyards however, there are some that are mechanically dehydrated. People have been enjoying raisins for as long as grapes have been growing. Raisins are naturally low in fat and contain healthy nutrients. California produces the majority of the world’s raisin supply. (http://www.sunmaid.com/history-of-raisins-and-dried-fruit.html)

CELEBRATE

April 30 is both National Oatmeal Cookie Day and National Raisin Day. To celebrate them together, try this “tried and true” recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/oatmeal-raisin-cookies-i/. Use #NationalRaisinDay on Social Media to share your love for raisins!

HISTORY

In our research, we were unable to find the creator of National Raisin Day, an “unofficial” National holiday.

NATIONAL SARCOIDOSIS DAY

National Sarcoidosis Day is observed annually on April 30th. Sarcoidosis is an immune system disease that is not contagious. While most commonly found in the lungs, Sarcoidosis is an inflammatory disease that can affect any part of the body, inside or out. When it affects the skin it typically looks like a scaly rash or red bumps. Often, people don’t realize they have it and blame it on allergies or a simple reaction to something with which they came into contact. Sarcoidosis can affect muscles, bones, kidneys, eyes, liver, the heart or any other part of the body. When it affects the eyes the usual symptoms are sore eyes. When internal organs or muscles are affected it can cause swelling and pain. In the lungs it can cause a dry cough, shortness of breath and mild chest pain.

Anyone can get Sarcoidosis, but it typically attacks people between the ages of 20 and 40. In about half of the cases Sarcoidosis goes away without treatment. In more serious cases, for which there is no cure, the symptoms may last for years and cause organ damage. While scientists don’t fully understand Sarcoidosis yet, research continues to be done on it in the hopes of finding the cause and a cure.

OBSERVE

National Sarcoidosis Day was inspired by Carl DeLine and David Sohl. Observe this important medical day by educating yourself about Sarcoidosis. Share your knowledge and experience on Social Media using #NationalSarcoidosisDay.

HISTORY

The registrar at National Day Calendar has declared April 30th as National Sarcoidosis Day and will be observed annually on this day.

NATIONAL HONESTY DAY

April 30 is National Honesty Day in the United States. M. Hirsh Goldberg invented this day and chose the last day of April to celebrate telling the truth, as the first day of April is April Fool’s Day, a day full of lies and pranks. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honesty_Day)

CELEBRATE

Celebrate National Honesty Day by answering questions truthfully all day long.

HISTORY

National Honesty Day is an “unofficial” National day. However, during our research, we did find that National Honesty Day is often used as a campaign for prevention against the most deceitful lies in history. This day also urges politicians to stay away from lies and tell the truth. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honesty_Day)

NATIONAL ADOPT A SHELTER PET DAY

National Adopt a Shelter Pet Day is celebrated each year on April 30. This day was created as a way to raise awareness for thousands of pets that are waiting for (and needing) adoption from the shelters.

CELEBRATE

Celebrate National Adopt a Shelter Pet Day by sharing pictures of your adopted pet on Social Media using #AdoptAShelterPetDay.

HISTORY

National Adopt a Shelter Pet Day is an “unofficial” National holiday. If you are interested in making this an official National holiday, send a letter to the President urging him to declare a National Adopt a Shelter Pet Day. Visit http://www.halopets.com/lettersforpets/index.php for more information.

NATIONAL OATMEAL COOKIE DAY

National Oatmeal Cookie Day is celebrated each year on April 30. This day is also often recognized on March 18 in conjunction with National Lacy Oatmeal Cookie Day. Oatmeal cookies have been around since the 1800’s. The cookies quickly became popular, and by early 1900′s a recipe for the delicious treats appeared on containers of Quaker Oats. Oatmeal cookies are also considered a health food because they are an excellent source of iron and fiber. Just another reason to have an oatmeal cookie today!

CELEBRATE

Celebrate National Oatmeal Cookie Day by whipping up a batch of cookies! Use #NationalOatmealCookieDay to share your love for this special food day!

HISTORY

We were unable to find the origin or creator of National Oatmeal Cookie Day, an “unofficial” National holiday.

NATIONAL HAIRSTYLIST APPRECIATION DAY

National Hairstylist Appreciation Day is celebrated annually on April 30. On this day we honor hairstylists everywhere who make artful hairstyles possible. A talented hairstylist will not only make you look good but also make you feel good. This day also celebrates the uniqueness of all styles of hair.

(http://www.cute-calendar.com/event/ha ... preciation-day/13731.html)

CELEBRATE

Celebrate you hairstylist by thanking them for their kindness, lending ear, moral boosting, confidence building and self-esteem building talents. Send flowers, give an appreciation card, leave an extra special tip or maybe send a gift! Share your hairstyle, along with the first name of your hairstylist on Social Media using #HairstylistAppreciationDay.

HISTORY

We were unable to locate the creator of National Hairstylist Appreciation Day, an “unofficial” National holiday.

NATIONAL POEM IN YOUR POCKET DAY

National Poem In Your Pocket Day is celebrated on the last Thursday in April. This day was created to share the joy that poems bring by carrying one in your pocket and sharing it throughout the day with others. Parks, libraries, schools, workplaces and bookstores will have events celebrating this day. It has been known that librarians have distributed poems to local hospitals, shop owners have handed out books of short poems to shoppers and food vendors have put poems in lunch sacks. (http://www.poets.org/national-poetry-month/poem-your-pocket-day)

CELEBRATE

National Poem In Your Pocket Day is the perfect day to share your poem on Social Media using #PoemInYouPocketDay.

HISTORY

National Poem In Your Pocket Day is an “unofficial” holiday, but has been celebrated as part of National Poetry Month since 2002. The Office of the New York Mayor, along with the New York City Departments of Cultural Affairs and Education, initiated the annual city-wide Poem In Your Pocket Day. The Academy of American Poets took Poem In Your Pocket Day national in 2008.

For more information on National Poem In Your Pocket Day visit http://www.poets.org/national-poetry-month/poem-your-pocket-day
Posted on: 2015/4/30 10:46

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Last day in April. 4/30/2015
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Kids should be up soon. Have to get RR#1 to school then spend some time with RR#2 at home. Not much planned for the day.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2015/4/30 12:25

pianoguy Re: Last day in April. 4/30/2015
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Xima nimaqui con Dios!

Another nice day here, around 70 and sunny. I hope to get home in time to take a few laps around the estate with the mower. I wanted to (well, not really wanted to) do it yesterday but had to work late. We shall see.

Have a good one, yawlz!
Posted on: 2015/4/30 12:39

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Ultraman Re: Last day in April. 4/30/2015
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14737 Posts

My ass is dragging this morning.......need more coffee......I was in bed thinking of ways to destroy the alarm clock......I came to the conclusion that shooting it to bits would be most satisfying........

The work continues as farmers plant the food supply and in house we get ready to move everything out of the great room for the new floors. Amazing how we accumulate stuff over the years....

Putting a new halo on the GS today......I found a used black one off a wrecked Z06 that I picked up cheap. Post some pics when its done......I like the look on the car with the black roof.......and will get windows tinted in May.....

Enjoy your day Guru's......
Posted on: 2015/4/30 12:48

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

TommyT-Bone Re: Last day in April. 4/30/2015
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

captmike13 wrote:
Good morning gang.

When that happens to me I copy my post and hit submit again. If it doesn't take I just put my copied post in a new box. It the disappearing submissions that are more problematic. In that case I hit the back button and my post sometimes returns. I copy, resubmit or repost if needed. I hate for my life changing posts to be lost in the netherworld.
Posted on: 2015/4/30 13:16

Ultraman Re: Last day in April. 4/30/2015
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14737 Posts

Posted on: 2015/4/30 13:25

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Yesterday was a washout so no unnecessary outdoor activities were done. Rested somewhat but rest days can end up hurting more than helping me. If I rest for too long it's a bear to build up my stamina again. One day is OK but 2 days or longer really screws me up. That means I'll be up and at it in about 30 minutes. Today is yard day here at the house and I'll do some pond maintenance to boot. Bought a 10,000 gal. pond filtration system and UV light tube to try to get an upper hand on the pond algae issues and cloudy water. Only cost 18 and change. $1800 that is. Thanks Sue. Don't know what I would do if I didn't have a Koi pond .....
Posted on: 2015/4/30 13:27

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Here we go.....sign me up.....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compan ... ctricity-bills/ar-BBiU7fs

What charges the battery? Solar panels? How much are they? Will it power an A/C system or are they designed to support two 60w led bulbs and a small refrigerator. Too many questions. If you have a bigger home you obviously need more batteries and more charging power AND you still have to keep tethered to BIG ELECTRIC who would then increase the rates due to a lessening demand on power to increase their profit. Ahhhhhhhhhh ..... I'm falling into a black hole ..........

Posted on: 2015/4/30 13:36

KPotter Re: Last day in April. 4/30/2015
Elite Guru
Cuyahoga Falls OH
1072 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

captmike13 wrote:
Good morning gang.

When that happens to me I copy my post and hit submit again. If it doesn't take I just put my copied post in a new box. It the disappearing submissions that are more problematic. In that case I hit the back button and my post sometimes returns. I copy, resubmit or repost if needed. I hate for my life changing posts to be lost in the netherworld.

The most consistent way of getting around this is, copy your post, sign off of the site, sign back in, post. Works every time for me.
Posted on: 2015/4/30 13:40

KPotter Re: Last day in April. 4/30/2015
Elite Guru
Cuyahoga Falls OH
1072 Posts

As for Bugs Bunny DAy, I saw a VW Rabbit in the parking lot the other day with the license plate "WASCALY". I got a chuckle out of it.
Posted on: 2015/4/30 13:42

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Oh, you guys are gonna love this one ........

Posted on: 2015/4/30 13:51

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Ian was right all along .........

Posted on: 2015/4/30 13:53

GRIS Re: Last day in April. 4/30/2015
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7641 Posts

ANOTHER PRETTY DAY IN THE NATIONS, 48 DEGREES AT SUNUP, 78 FOR THE PREDICTED HIGH. THE CHEROKEES COULD GET USED TO THIS.

HERE'S SOME DETAILS ON THE FISH STORY:

http://newsok.com/biggest-fish-ever-c ... -oklahoma/article/5414570

KINDA COOL THAT THEY TURNED IT LOOSE.
Posted on: 2015/4/30 13:55

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

Oh, you guys are gonna love this one ........

That guy was annoying as crap and he looks like a pedophile.

Speaking of the "past" my mom and I were discussing this the other day. We were talking about rent values in her neighborhood and how they seemed high, but I said that's only because we are stuck in the past with past dollar amounts. My example was "I still think a value meal should be 2.99". I guess I'm in the past.....
Posted on: 2015/4/30 14:14

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

You musical selection for the day....I was eating a banana this morning so I started singing to my kids "come Mr. Tallyman, tally me banana"....and they wanted to hear the song. So here it is:

Posted on: 2015/4/30 14:15

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

What charges the battery? Solar panels? How much are they? Will it power an A/C system or are they designed to support two 60w led bulbs and a small refrigerator. Too many questions. If you have a bigger home you obviously need more batteries and more charging power AND you still have to keep tethered to BIG ELECTRIC who would then increase the rates due to a lessening demand on power to increase their profit. Ahhhhhhhhhh ..... I'm falling into a black hole ..........

If I had a new construction house I would absolutely install solar panels and potentially the battery system.

I looked here at the cost of a retrofit solar panel system and it was not cost effective for me since I don't plan on being here 20 more years. In Florida with all of your sunshine, solar panels seem to make sense. You might even generate enough energy to power the pump and filtration system for a koi pond.
Posted on: 2015/4/30 14:22

CentralCoaster Re: Last day in April. 4/30/2015
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I'm leaving room for it. Has good exposure. It's not rocket science that it will be cost justified at some point. Florida must not be big on incentives, they have very little use of solar panels. So maybe that speaks to the free market demand. Californians on the other hand seem to worship tax rebates.

My general plan is to just use less. Most things requiring electricity involve sitting on your ass doing nothing. Including posting on here. That just doesn't fulfill me. I unplugged my casita fridge but then they started charging me a minimum $6 fee so I plugged it back in. (We have two electric meters, two addresses.) Even the water bill, the meter fee is more than my usage fee, we use about 2 hcf/month. So I'm sorta paying a 200% markup. If I used 10x more, my price would be cheaper per gallon.

They bitch about the drought here, but the state constitution bars them from charging any more than cost of supplying the water. Hence the $30 meter fee, which I guess pays for Jerry Brown's forehead wax.
Posted on: 2015/4/30 15:15

BillH Re: Last day in April. 4/30/2015
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

To be built right here in little ol Reno.

Attach file:

jpg  giga.jpg (398.68 KB)
881_55424a62b63b0.jpg 1600X1119 px
Posted on: 2015/4/30 15:29

teebee Re: Last day in April. 4/30/2015
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Morning guys... another busy morning, kids trying to finish up projects, me trying to get them to finish projects. Solar panels would make sense in new construction, I'm thinking. Retrofitting, I'm not sure if that makes sense. I'd like to reduce my electrical and natural gas consumption, but not sure what else to do. We've had the furnace turned off since late February, changing incandescent and CFL light bulbs out to LEDs as they burn out.....maybe if I turned off about four computers that would help.
Posted on: 2015/4/30 16:22

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

A solar powered solar panel plant.. well similar anyways. I can finally eat my shoe.

If you're going to use all that land Elon, at least build a real test oval around it. That chicane in the backstraight looks like a bitch.

Posted on: 2015/4/30 16:26

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Florida Life

Here are a few pics of my neighbor taken at work. He's a biologist and works a lot with crocs, gators and snakes.

Attach file:

jpg  Mark Parry 2.jpg (52.30 KB)
852_55427c24644d4.jpg 480X270 px

jpg  Mark Parry 1.jpg (82.05 KB)
852_55427c35ba8b2.jpg 480X480 px

jpg  Everglades.jpg (40.49 KB)
852_55427c80d7d0d.jpg 960X541 px
Posted on: 2015/4/30 19:03

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Here's a pic of him doing a necropsy on a python that ate a deer.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/med ... es/python-eats-deer-photo
Posted on: 2015/4/30 19:08

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Breastfeeding a gator? He's fit for his own TV show. I didn't know there were crocs in FL.
Posted on: 2015/4/30 19:56

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
A solar powered solar panel plant.. well similar anyways. I can finally eat my shoe.

If you're going to use all that land Elon, at least build a real test oval around it. That chicane in the backstraight looks like a bitch.

Well, a mile and a half from there:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/ ... nna-buy-a-racetrack-8797/

Attach file:

jpg  rfr1.jpg (177.26 KB)
881_55428c720a02d.jpg 980X631 px
Posted on: 2015/4/30 20:11

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I didn't know there were crocs in FL.

One of em usta autocross.
Posted on: 2015/4/30 20:12

GRIS Re: Last day in April. 4/30/2015
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7641 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Here's a pic of him doing a necropsy on a python that ate a deer.
http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/med ... es/python-eats-deer-photo

DIED OF INDIGESTION? YES, THERE ARE AMERICAN CROCODILES, BUT THEY'RE PRETTY RARE I THINK.

I DO LOVE HEADLINES: "BRAZILIAN UNAWARE UNTIL EXECUTION"

AND THAT, PRESUMABLY, GOT HIS ATTENTION.
Posted on: 2015/5/1 0:48

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

teebee Re: Last day in April. 4/30/2015
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Had an interesting chat with my MS principal (and Supt elect) this afternoon. He came in and asked me if I was staying in teaching because "I didn't want my program to die." I guess, they have a MS English position open, an interested party whose husband is a shop teacher. I know him, he's a good guy, does a good job where he is now, will do a good job here. The principal said it's no big deal that they would love for me to stay as long as I like. Rosie and I talked about it tonight, I'm thinking this might be my opportunity to get out, and feel good about the guy taking over. I have some time to think about it. I might call the guy this weekend and pick his brain.
Posted on: 2015/5/1 3:05

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote: I didn't know there were crocs in FL.

I didn't know that either the first few years I lived in South Florida but I've seen several since I became aware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_crocodile
Posted on: 2015/5/1 3:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.