Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
290 user(s) are online (186 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L80E
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 2.43
2nd Gear: 1.49
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.75

Reverse: 2.07

- Used in production GM models...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Strick What's needed for your first time out
Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread detailing what one might need to have when going out on your first auto-cross or road course event. It might also be nice to have a place where one could read up on how to adjust your Vette while you are there.

Here are a few ideas:

Tire guage
portable air tank or small compressor
How about some race wheels? (you don't want to wear out your street tires)
Torque wrench (for wheels)
jack
Blanket (to work on)
Extra bottle of oil (you have to keep them full)
Ice chest (filled with water!)
suntan lotion
gloves (for driving)
helmet
shoes for driving (wrestling shoes work great; small soles)
rags and hand cleaner (nothing worse than driving with greasy hands)
folding chair (it's nice to have a seat)
On hot days--It's nice to bring shade--a large umbrella or canopy

How do you get this stuff to the track? Either tow your Vette on a trailer or drag a trailer behind you. As in:
Resized Image

Please fill free to add to this list. For those who just want to try a few runs and don't want to bring all this stuff, just show up with your helmet and a Vette in good condition.
Posted on: 2008/3/24 0:01

Strick Re: What's needed for your first time out
Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Next we can talk about some simple tire pressure adjustments to help you improve. NOTE: The best thing that will improve your driving is experience or seat time. With that said here are a few things that seem to help me out. If my Vette is loose or the back end is sliding all over the place, I can reduce the air pressure in the rear and maybe add a touch more in the front. If your Vette is pushing or it doesn't turn when you turn the wheel, reduce the pressure in the fronts and increase a little in the rear. After a few runs, look at your tires. If the tires look like they are wearing on the side wall, increase the air pressure. I'm just a beginner, but these techniques seem to help my style of driving. I like to decelerate before the turns and enter the turns after I've slowed. This puts the CG more towards the center of the Vette which is good for turning.

Again, the first time out, don't worry about tire pressure changes. Just keep them normal.

One more tip, leave your ego at the gate. You will be beatened by all sorts of cars. Just have fun driving.
Posted on: 2008/3/24 0:16

brian Re: What's needed for your first time out
Senior Guru
193 Posts

i always bring a condom. and a extra one in my car. you never no
Posted on: 2008/3/24 1:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Strick Re: What's needed for your first time out
Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Quote:

brian wrote:

Well in survival school they told us that a condom will hold a lot of water if held inside your helmet. Unless you are creative, there aren't too many places at the track where the condom will come in handy, except as a water bag.
Posted on: 2008/3/24 14:42

BillH Re: What's needed for your first time out
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Take some time and pre-tech your car. Make sure your brake pads have plenty of material left, tires are good, no play in the wheel bearings, tie rods (check while the car is on the ground), battery tight? , no fluid leaks in the engine compartment.
Different events have different tech procedures (sometimes none at all). But, it would bs a shame to go to your first event and be told you can't go on the track.

Get yourself ready, get a book on high performance driving or get David Ray's "Hooked on Driving" DVD.

If your first event has instructors, use them as much as possible. It's hard to unlearn improper lines or driving techniques.
Posted on: 2008/3/24 15:07

COPO Re: What's needed for your first time out
Guru Newb
31 Posts

Quote:

brian wrote:

i would bring a matching set and dont forget the
Posted on: 2008/3/25 17:40

COPO Re: What's needed for your first time out
Guru Newb
31 Posts

Quote:

Strick wrote:
I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread detailing what one might need to have when going out on your first auto-cross or road course event. It might also be nice to have a place where one could read up on how to adjust your Vette while you are there.

Here are a few ideas:

Tire guage
jack
Blanket (to work on)
suntan lotion
gloves (for driving)
helmet

How do you get this stuff to the track? Either tow your Vette on a trailer or drag a trailer behind you. As in:
Resized Image

Please fill free to add to this list. For those who just want to try a few runs and don't want to bring all this stuff, just show up with your helmet and a Vette in good condition.

Good thread.....as I may one day do a lil auto-cross.
Posted on: 2008/3/25 17:43

ghoffman Re: What's needed for your first time out
Senior Guru
258 Posts

I would highly recommend that you just go help someone else that has experience do an event. This will cost you nothing, and actually he/she will probably buy lunch. This way you get some experience and will reduce the new guy mistakes to some extant.
Posted on: 2008/3/25 21:44

TommyT-Bone Re: What's needed for your first time out
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I do the run what you brung routine since I'm a novice and really only want to get some seat time. Some guys chase the numbers while I go to enjoy my Corvette/Porsche and gain some experience on its handling characteristics. So I just bring a couple folding chairs, a cooler with some drinks and snacks, a lighter outlet plug in air pump, pressure guage, small tool box, glass cleaner and paper towels, helmet, sun screen, sunglasses and a hat. I run on my street tires but I do not get the optimum performance of a sticky tire. Make sure your car is well maintained and everything is tightened down and in it's proper place. Remove any loose stuff from inside the car. I don't know why I bring the chairs. I hardly get to use them. If I'm not on the track driving, I'm on the track working. This is my third season and it's hard to break lifelong habits, but I'm trying.
Posted on: 2008/3/25 22:48

LD85 Re: What's needed for your first time out
Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

Quote:

brian wrote:

Only "a" condom?
Posted on: 2008/3/26 17:38

SpectatorRacing Re: What's needed for your first time out
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

If your first event has instructors, use them as much as possible. It's hard to unlearn improper lines or driving techniques.

I tried unlearning mine and couldn't, so I just worked on perfecting my bad habits
Posted on: 2008/3/27 17:55

CentralCoaster Re: What's needed for your first time out
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Strick, the extra tires and stuff is way overkill for a first timer, here's my list...

1. Run what you brung, no street tires, spare parts, etc, inspect the car before racing to minimize chance of failure.

2. Water, keep it in the rear storage compartment so you have access to it if you're stuck waiting in your car.

3. Helmet, hat, sunglasses, lotion, yep it can get hot out there.

4. Extra oil, brake fluid, leatherman, rags, zip ties.
This will at least allow you to handle little b.s. things that crop up, like a leaky hose clamp, etc. You should have this stuff in the car regardless of where you're driving at indianapolis or to your grandmother's house.

5. Cash. If you're broken and don't have friends there or can't get any free help, money talks. Most people are very helpful though.

6. Camera, and have fun! Too many beginners take these hobbies too seriously, which usually means they're getting in the way of others, and making hissy fits about everything.
Posted on: 2008/3/27 18:04

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:
Well in survival school they told us that a condom will hold a lot of water if held inside your helmet. Unless you are creative, there aren't too many places at the track where the condom will come in handy, except as a water bag.

If he needs a condom at the track then he's probably batting for the wrong team. You won't find many chicks there!

Of course you could roll the condom over your shifter in case you let any strangers drive your car.
Posted on: 2008/3/27 18:07

jaa1992 Re: What's needed for your first time out
Guru
Stone Mtn, GA (near Atlanta)
187 Posts

I addition to the list above I keep a bottle of clutch fluid and brake fluid. Also brake bleeding paraphanelia (sp)
Posted on: 2008/3/30 0:14

Jeffvette Re: What's needed for your first time out
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:
Tire guage
jack
Blanket (to work on)
suntan lotion
gloves (for driving)
helmet

Damn dude, you going to the track to run or to work on cars. I understand the need for being prepared, but damn.

If you are going to bring a jack, don't forget jackstands.

Quote:
How do you get this stuff to the track? Either tow your Vette on a trailer or drag a trailer behind you.

Truck bed with car on a trailer. If you are that serious, you need something to haul your car.... plus it's nice to have a ride home if/when it breaks.

Plus if you are doing it right, you have to trailer it.

Resized Image

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/3/30 4:08

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Hell, when I go to the strip I throw the jack, wrench, and my drag radials in my rear hatch and go. I bring a bike lock for securing everything to a light post or a dumpster while I'm racing.

I can carry 4 wheels and tires in there too.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 7:31

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:

If you are going to bring a jack, don't forget jackstands.

[quote]How do you get this stuff to the track? Either tow your Vette on a trailer or drag a trailer behind you.

Truck bed with car on a trailer. If you are that serious, you need something to haul your car.... plus it's nice to have a ride home if/when it breaks.

Plus if you are doing it right, you have to trailer it.

2 years ago, I watched a guy spend 3 hours prying the rocks out between 2 of his rims and tires on his C5 so he could keep enough air pressure in the tires to get home (3 hour drive). The nearest tire shop was a 30 minute drive. And he had to borrow the screw drivers and 12v air compressor.
As he left the track he said " Man, I gotta get a trailer".

It was his first HPDE.
He's also the guy who convinced me to no longer ride as an instructor in a convertable (backwards, thru the rocks at 100).

Nice cage.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 14:15

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

It was his first HPDE.
He's also the guy who convinced me to no longer ride as an instructor in a convertable (backwards, thru the rocks at 100).

Nice cage.

On second thought, maybe that guy was a total dipshit that should've never been at a HPDE in the first place!
Posted on: 2008/4/1 5:08

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

It was his first HPDE.

Nice cage.

On second thought, maybe that guy was a total dipshit that should've never been at a HPDE in the first place!

Ha, the dipshit ratio seems to be climbing in the last couple of years. The problem is that you can't tell who's who until they get on the track. Still, the ratio of people who want to have the track experience and/or want to improve their driving skills is 98% them and 2% dipshit.

No, this guy just did a "rookie". On corner exit, with the power on, the rear came out a little (typical C5 oversteer).
Instead of correcting with the steering wheel, he totally came off the throttle. The car snap spun backwards off the track. I was thinkin' "what the F am I doing in a convertable?" The car went up on 2 wheels a little ways.
Posted on: 2008/4/1 15:12

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.