Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
217 user(s) are online (190 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Liter
Metric unit of measure. In the case of engine displacement, it measures the total volume of all combustion chambers. Therefore in a 5.7L V8, each cha...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BrianCunningham I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

with all the new sections added.

So did people bail when they found out it wasn't exclusive to C4's anymore?

or did people just join to b!tch about getting banned on the other forum, and bailed after having their say??
Posted on: 2008/5/8 16:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

DaleD Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Or maybe they're out driving their cars?
Posts go down in driving season, but I suspect your right. Some of the traffic here was just a whining session about brand x.
Posted on: 2008/5/8 17:21

NC Kid Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Posted on: 2008/5/8 17:39

CentralCoaster Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Well, what group do you fit in?
Posted on: 2008/5/8 21:49

bogus Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Snap.

Any new forum will experience some slow periods.

We are a little slow now, but at the same time, we don't have 175k members.

The key is viral marketing. Spread the word at shows and events. We handed out 300+ stickies as a direct result of going to Sebring.

We will be in the Oct issue of Corvette Enthusiast. I have others I am planning on hitting.

It takes time...
Posted on: 2008/5/9 0:23

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

I thought about filling the ZR1 section and C4 section up with threads about this place late at night when all the mods are sleeping. Everyone would know then.
Posted on: 2008/5/9 0:49

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

NO!

We do NOT want that kind of viral advertising. It hurts us more than helps us, because people will view us in a negative light.

Lemme put it this way, I will ban anyone who does that once I figure out who it was.
Posted on: 2008/5/9 1:47

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
NO!

We do NOT want that kind of viral advertising. It hurts us more than helps us, because people will view us in a negative light.

Lemme put it this way, I will ban anyone who does that once I figure out who it was.

Keyword: Thought. Atleast I am creative.
Posted on: 2008/5/9 1:55
Edited by B1ack86v3tt3 on 2008/5/9 2:12:14
Edited by B1ack86v3tt3 on 2008/5/9 2:23:00

cuisinartvette Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

I think the inital "C4 only" concept would work better, youre competing with too many other Vette sites.
Just my .02
Posted on: 2008/5/9 3:06

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

We had the C4 only theme for 4 years. It created 8000 posts.

After a lot of consideration, I decided to move us to cover all generations. It had to happen to a) grow past being a niche site and b) attract sponsors.

After the bannings, I kept getting requests for other generations. Not just from members, but from lurkers, too.

With only 3 other full service Vette sites, there is space for another full service site. I don't count the mag forums in this, they are there for a different reason... it's called marketing.

As for growth, it will happen. There has been a ton of exposure already.

Don't fret, in a year, we won't be having these discussions. There will be many more members and things will develop.

Think of it this way - it has taken CF nearly 10 years to get to where they are, DC has been around for about 5 years and CAC over 5 years. People forget this things have to start somewhere.

It has only been 2 months since the conversion from C4guru to Corvette-Guru. I don't know about the rest of you, but we are in for the long haul.
Posted on: 2008/5/9 3:57

JrRifleCoach Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Lets see...

Theres 9 posts here plus another 111 views. On one thread.

Not bad for a fledgling site.
Posted on: 2008/5/9 4:20

lt4obsessed Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Guru Newb
The Land of Oz
29 Posts

This is just my personal opinion, and I hope that this forum is true to itself enough to be open to a little critism. But my experience here is like walking into a garage where a bunch of guys are in the middle of a conversation and not leaving much room for a new arrival to speak. Really, all I read here tells me that if I'm not in the middle of a 383 build, or putting on turbo, Or some other likewise mondo task, you don't want to hear it.

I've read time after time where you guys make fun of people who curious about putting in a 160 stat, or just about any noob wanting to learn basic care and maintenance of the Vette. It's perfectly acceptable if you want your forum to about building race cars. But in so doing you should advertise as such, and don't expect alot of growth.

Just about everyone on here is well versed in Corvettes and I'm not saying that any of you are down right mean or anything, just rather intimidating. I wish you luck in your venture, but I for one am just too afraid to ask any questions on this forum for fear that it might be considered a stupid one.
Posted on: 2008/5/9 6:19

CasetheCorvetteman Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

I think you have us mixed up mate.
Posted on: 2008/5/9 6:48

kentucky_vetter Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Senior Guru
somerset, ky
154 Posts

Better to ask a dumb question than make a stupid mistake. Ive asked some stupid ones on here but thats how you learn. As far as everyone being intimidating ppppfffftttt what are they gonna do, EAT YOU ? Its the internet for Gods sake !
Posted on: 2008/5/9 7:07

JrRifleCoach Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:

lt4obsessed wrote:
This is just my personal opinion, and I hope that this forum is true to itself enough to be open to a little critism. But my experience here is like walking into a garage where a bunch of guys are in the middle of a conversation and not leaving much room for a new arrival to speak.

I can see where lt4.. gets this feeling. A lot of the members here don't openly encourage discussions. Its not a bad thing but.... in an effort to help noobs feel a part in the group, everyone needs to open direct, positive, dialog.

Now, how much of a HP increase can I expect with an airfoil?
Posted on: 2008/5/9 7:19

Calm Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

lt4,
Even though your post seems a little bit judgemental at first read....I think it's very valuable. Everyone here, I believe, understands the importance of honesty and that we're ALL on the journey of learning. I believe your post can and will continue to remind us all that we're here to teach and to learn from each other....regardless of where each of us are at.
Posted on: 2008/5/9 7:27

Calm Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

Quote:

JrRifleCoach wrote:
[quote]

Now, how much of a HP increase can I expect with an airfoil?

40, minimum
Posted on: 2008/5/9 7:32

CasetheCorvetteman Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

kentucky_vetter wrote:
Better to ask a dumb question than make a stupid mistake. Ive asked some stupid ones on here but thats how you learn. As far as everyone being intimidating ppppfffftttt what are they gonna do, EAT YOU ? Its the internet for Gods sake !

Spot on mate
Posted on: 2008/5/9 8:34

TommyT-Bone Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33779 Posts

Noobs and wrenches have always been welcomed here. Even ones who make seemingly dumb posts. See...... I'm here.
Posted on: 2008/5/9 9:50

runner140 Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

This thing will grow with time and take on the personality of its most active posters. We need patience.
Posted on: 2008/5/9 11:36

DaleD Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

lt4obsessed wrote:
This is just my personal opinion, and I hope that this forum is true to itself enough to be open to a little critism.

I've read time after time where you guys make fun of people who curious about putting in a 160 stat, or just about any noob wanting to learn basic care and maintenance of the Vette.

Just about everyone on here is well versed in Corvettes and I'm not saying that any of you are down right mean or anything, just rather intimidating. I wish you luck in your venture, but I for one am just too afraid to ask any questions on this forum for fear that it might be considered a stupid one.

Since you state it as your personal experience, it's valid, but let me chime in. I'm a regular here. I can do simple stuff, but I am far from a mechanic. And about 18 months ago, I didn't know an LT1 from an L98.
Read it all, take it all in. I think you're misunderstanding things. The 160* stat, seafoam, the airfoil and a few other things are triggers. These are things that have been beaten to death. So, these items draw goofy responses. But, if you seriously asked about a 160* stat, you'd get a straight answer from someone. I guarantee it.
I'm not well versed in Corvettes. I own a poor old L98. I got frustrated with it last year and I was going to sell it. At the time Bogus was over on CF and offered to ship me a scanner to try to get the car straightened out. Lots of good folks here that will help you. You just have to be able to take a joke and you'll be fine.
I really think you just have the wrong impression. I'm not the only one who is a regular who isn't a true Corvette guru.
Posted on: 2008/5/9 11:55

BrianCunningham Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Well, what group do you fit in?

The one that's been posting
Posted on: 2008/5/9 13:02

Matatk Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

lt4obsessed wrote:

I can understand that, but I think that this forum is *much* nicer compared to others I've been on. The first response at other places is "Buy an FSM and do a search!!!"

It is helpful to have well versed members that know their stuff. I've seen a lot of bad/wrong information other places, as well. Personally, if I know the answer, I will share. If I don't, I keep my typing to myself.

Finally, I myself have asked stupid questions on here. Don't feel bad. I asked what a "birdcage" was relating to C3s. Now any C3 guy in the world would have known the answer to that, but I didn't. I wasn't torn a new a-hole and I did learn something.

I hope that you find good luck with the other members of the forum.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/5/9 13:32

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

lt4obsessed wrote:
This is just my personal opinion, and I hope that this forum is true to itself enough to be open to a little critism. But my experience here is like walking into a garage where a bunch of guys are in the middle of a conversation and not leaving much room for a new arrival to speak. Really, all I read here tells me that if I'm not in the middle of a 383 build, or putting on turbo, Or some other likewise mondo task, you don't want to hear it.

I've read time after time where you guys make fun of people who curious about putting in a 160 stat, or just about any noob wanting to learn basic care and maintenance of the Vette. It's perfectly acceptable if you want your forum to about building race cars. But in so doing you should advertise as such, and don't expect alot of growth.

I am wondering how much of your concern is being misdirected. You are almost describing other sites I used to participate in, not this one... To be honest, I don't remember seeing all that many 160* stat threads here... but I have seen a number at other sites...

I answer every question honestly and accurately. We need to build that informational database so others who don't want to post CAN find an answer, and smart assed replies don't get that done.

I will, from time to time, direct someone to the Tech FAQ, sure. Because the answer IS there and people need to know it's there as a resource. At the same time, I will direct people to the FSM. It's there for a reason, it is THE final answer on many of the more complex diagnostic problems.

Most recently, a fellow had a concern with airbag wiring. I had to direct him to the FSM, because that's potentially dangerious stuff that a little bit of misinformation could cause harm.

I will reiterate - the only stupid question is the one left unasked.
Posted on: 2008/5/9 15:12

CentralCoaster Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

lt4obsessed wrote:

I for one am just too afraid to ask any questions on this forum for fear that it might be considered a stupid one.

And why would you fear that?

I guess I need to see some examples on the other stuff you mentioned, because I'm not sure where you're coming from.
Posted on: 2008/5/9 19:54

LD85 Re: I thought post were suppose to INCREASE
Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

Really, I dont post as much as I used to,,,, but I still check in a couple of times each day!
Posted on: 2008/5/9 20:00

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.