Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
247 user(s) are online (225 user(s) are browsing Forums)

GRIS, more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

brut If a tree falls in the woods....
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

That's what I am thinking when it comes to building a performance motor for my '76.

Ever since a kid, I have dreamed of having a fast machine and I always wanted to have that machine that everyone was talking about. I guess those childhood dreams were not far off most young boys growing up.

So, here's my dilemma: Why should I build a motor with more than say 450HP? I DON'T support street racing(although guilty of such). SO I won't be going out every weekend looking for victims.

The closest track is an 1/8 mile facility which I don't care to even try since it is not a 1/4 mile. The next closest is in Indianapolis and I am not sure I want to drive 2 hours each way just to see how fast it is.

So I think I have a case for nothing more than eye and ear candy. If I was on the street I know people will think it looks cool, and if pulling into a show people will flock to see what is under the hood due to it's sound.

In other words "All show and no go".

So in other words, I have no need to spends thousands of dollars to go fast when I would never use it or need it unless I am out-running a nuclear attack.

Why do you think car builders put massive motors in cars they will never use to it's full potential? I have seen street rods with 600HP motors but they do nothing but drive it from one show to another.

Is it all just for bragging rights?
Posted on: 2008/12/23 21:21
'02 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
'07 Hummer H3
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

cuisinartvette Re: If a tree falls in the woods....
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

In many cases yes. Just get a cam with a 104 lobe center, (rest of the numbers dont have to be big at all) some cheap springs and stick it on your stock motor if thats all youre doing. Get some regrind for $80.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 21:24

brut Re: If a tree falls in the woods....
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

Stock motor is already apart...getting ready to go to the machine shop. I am going to do a total rebuild regardless, just not sure if I want to shoot for more than I really need. I would be happy for 400-450HP if I can pull it.

I guess my point is, I don't need the do an exotic stroker, with fully forged internals, $2500 set of heads..and so on....
Posted on: 2008/12/23 21:26
'07 Hummer H3

Jeffvette Re: If a tree falls in the woods....
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

brut wrote:

Tiny penor?
Posted on: 2008/12/23 22:18

CentralCoaster Re: If a tree falls in the woods....
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I take mine to the track and I don't even want 400hp.
Posted on: 2008/12/24 0:15

brut Re: If a tree falls in the woods....
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

400Hp would be fine for me too. I just want to cruise and enjoy it and not worry about what heads to put on it
Posted on: 2008/12/24 1:51
'07 Hummer H3

cuisinartvette Re: If a tree falls in the woods....
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Disregard my post. I see you want 450hp not just wanting it to sound like it.
Posted on: 2008/12/24 2:00

TommyT-Bone Re: If a tree falls in the woods....
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Being somewhat conventional when it comes to lifes generalities, I prefer to have a little bit more than what I need. That includes ponies.
Posted on: 2008/12/24 3:14

bogus Re: If a tree falls in the woods....
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am a firm beleiver that there is a point where potential power outstrips practical power.

Sure, a 1500hp motor can be built, but at what cost? Not just in monitary costs, but in drivability.

I look at the output of jsups '90 and it is truly out of control. To what end? Sure, race cars can handle it, but they have custom suspensions with tires designed for it... but your average 90 Vette, with summer radials is way overwhelmed by everything.

If his car had traction control, sure, that would add a safety buffer (and don't tell me it isn't require. My reflexes are a good as the next guys, but these cars are tail happy) for street usage.

So I come back to my original thought. You want enough performance to make the car a blast to drive. You also want enough to make it safe enough to pull out onto a freeway without getting run over. But not so much as to cause the ass end to meet the tree on the otherside of the road.

With all of that, you need to consider how the chassis will respond. You will want to be 100% sure the rear suspension is perfect and strong. You will need better tires and upgraded brakes.

I knew a guy that drag raced a 1969 Nova... all big block and drum brakes. Brandon was a nice kid, but about dumb as dumb sometimes... The car was not, to my sensabilities, up to the job of being safe.

With all of those parameters, 400hp should get you there. A 350 with that kind of real power will be a bit peaky. A 383 will be a little lazier about it and have more torque.

I would go with a mild 383 with a good exhaust system. That will get you exactly what you want and keep you on the straight and narrow. You don't need the best forged stuff. I am sure Ron can recommend something (SCAT?). For that matter, you can get a used factory 400 crank, IIRC.

I would also recommend a 5spd manual upgrade. You can keep the shorter rear gears (say 3.70:1) and still get a relaxed cruise out of it.
Posted on: 2008/12/24 3:21

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

xccter Re: If a tree falls in the woods....
Senior Guru
Downtown Annapolis, MD
461 Posts

Quote:

brut wrote:

Yes.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 14:58
NCRS #48337

1Fast04Vert Re: If a tree falls in the woods....
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

[quote]

The closest track is an 1/8 mile facility which I don't care to even try since it is not a 1/4 mile. quote]

1/8th mile tracks are still a lot of fun. Don't knock it until you try it.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 16:31

pr0zac Re: If a tree falls in the woods....
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

my car should put down 440-475rwhp. if it weren't snowing i would drive it.. it sounds like a racecar, kinda drives like one at low speeds. its overkill for what i would be able to use it for. but i like it..
Posted on: 2008/12/28 17:03

skirlin Re: If a tree falls in the woods....
Senior Guru
Caledonia Michigan
277 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
my car should put down 440-475rwhp. if it weren't snowing i would drive it.. it sounds like a racecar, kinda drives like one at low speeds. its overkill for what i would be able to use it for. but i like it..

"...but I like it" says it all and that is all that matters. Buy, build, and run what makes you smile because if you don't enjoy it, why do it. I had a 1969 GTO Pro Streeted with 5.38 gears, spool, NOS, etc....and four wheel drum brakes (because I didn't want to spend the money there, I'll say it...STUPID ). It was crazy fast and rarely driven because of it's lack of manners on the street and it didn't stop well, cool car but in the end I didn't cry when I sold it. I have since learned to care less about what others are doing and not let it affect what will make me happy. If the pros out weigh the cons and you can live with it, go for it whatever level of performance that may be:thumbleft:.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 18:01

jsup Re: If a tree falls in the woods....
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

brut wrote:
Stock motor is already apart...getting ready to go to the machine shop. I am going to do a total rebuild regardless, just not sure if I want to shoot for more than I really need. I would be happy for 400-450HP if I can pull it.

I guess my point is, I don't need the do an exotic stroker, with fully forged internals, $2500 set of heads..and so on....

I pmd you a link. I'd post it but I'm tired of being stalked around the internet.

yes, with a cam and maybe a cheapo set of vortec heads and an intake you're probably there.

He Andy, are you saying I don't need another 30HP?

For the way I use my car and for what I want, it's what I want. Enough power that I have to respect it, I just have to learn how to drive it. No fancy gadgets like skid control or traction control. I'll finish up the basics in April, then do brakes probably next year, then it's a long term project. I drive it sub 1000 miles a year, and for that it's fine.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 18:06

DaleD Re: If a tree falls in the woods....
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I am in just like you in this respect.
But, you want it, and it would make you feel good. How much is that worth? Do you want to get too old to drive one day, and think, I wish I had built that car?!

I saw the list of cars that was in a post the other day, so I sat down and made my own list. A pathetic list. I have owned lots of cars, and only 2 of them had any excitement value, including my current car.

Chase the dream, you only get to do it once.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 18:07

biggrizzly Re: If a tree falls in the woods....
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I didn't go radical at all with mine, but still spent more than I probably should have. But I think I could have had the cool factor for a lot less.

I did drive it out today since it was a nice day here. I pulled it into a gas station; you know, those ones with about 50 pumps. Every guy in that place was looking at my car. I don't know if it was that the car was just butt ugly, or they all liked the way it sounded. I got a thumbs up by one dude leaving next to me. The attention was definitely coming from the exhaust note, and not the HP rating or what heads I installed or how fast it does in the 1/4 mile.

So, perhaps we can get by with a good long tube install and a mild cam if the car looks and drives good enough for us.
Posted on: 2008/12/28 21:34

400hp427vette Re: If a tree falls in the woods....
Senior Guru
Long Island, NY
373 Posts

Getting onto highway onramp ad going 0-70 has aways been a rush for me with all that horsepower
Posted on: 2009/3/10 2:30

CentralCoaster Re: If a tree falls in the woods....
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Don't discount the value of a 1/8 mile race track.

The only people that don't enjoy it are the ones that can't drive. Your 400 hp car will lose to some 300 hp ones if you don't know what you're doin'.
Posted on: 2009/3/10 3:17

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.