Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
292 user(s) are online (252 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  MAF
Mass Air Flow sensor. Used to measure the amount of air entering the intake. This sensor works by heating an element and then measuring the rate of c...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

movnviolation Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

Motor is in, looking good, Fires right up, and sounds like a beast!
Then water starts pouring out the drivers side header.
Shut it down, and a whole lot of bad words.
Well, what did I do now. Must have screwed up the head gasket some how. Brand new heads. Pull it down and when I pull the drivers side head and expect to see something, everything looks good. Now what. Motor only has about 5-6K.
Visually, the head looks good and the Felpro gasket is not distorted or anything.
I call AFR and ask them if they have had a problen with the 180 comp heads and was told There has not been a problem. They advised me to send both heads back and they would check them. I live within probably 75 miles from them so I would drive them there if that had to be. I am not ready to pull the right side down yet. I plan to take the head to my engine builder and have him check the head before I pull the other side down.
I don't know what the problem is. I permatex the new head bolts I ordered with the heads as instructed.
I was hoping it was something stupid I did, but as of yet, I can not find the problem!
I would like to say that I feel better now, but I dont!!

Thanks for reading!!
Posted on: 2009/1/17 6:08

cuisinartvette Re: Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Russ out of the exhaust pipe itself, the bolt hole?
Posted on: 2009/1/17 6:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Calm Re: Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

For what it's worth......I had the same exact experience upon firing up my fully done 383.

Freaked me out! Water squirting out my left tailpipe....then tons of white smoke while it warmed up! I wanted to shut it down immediately and tear into it....find the problem!

THEN it occured to me that when I originally pulled the motor (a few months before) I hadn't drained the block properly, and when the engine tilted (when pulled), a considerable amount of water spilled out into my exhaust manifold.

I let it run for another 15 mins and sure enough, it turned out to be trapped water in the exhaust system. WHEW!

I really hope that's the case with yours.
Posted on: 2009/1/17 6:57

happydad Re: Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Senior Guru
northern Ill
151 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
Russ out of the exhaust pipe itself, the bolt hole?

I'm also interested in where it was coming from...Maybe we could help
Posted on: 2009/1/17 11:02
86 Coupe,350 bored .040 over,Eagle Internals,Scorp RR.Crane Cam,Hedman Hedders,Holley Mani,TCI Trans,3:73 Rear, Demon Carb ,Hole in the hood Scooped and Lots of leaks(Horsepower) I forget :thumbleft:

Matatk Re: Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Hopefully it's like what calm experienced! Was everything snug? Any loose or missing bolts? I doubt the heads are warped, but try checking them with a straight edge if you already pulled it off.

Keep us posted.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/1/17 11:58

Midnight85 Re: Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

Quote:

Calm wrote:
For what it's worth......I had the same exact experience upon firing up my fully done 383.

Freaked me out! Water squirting out my left tailpipe....then tons of white smoke while it warmed up! I wanted to shut it down immediately and tear into it....find the problem!

THEN it occured to me that when I originally pulled the motor (a few months before) I hadn't drained the block properly, and when the engine tilted (when pulled), a considerable amount of water spilled out into my exhaust manifold.

I let it run for another 15 mins and sure enough, it turned out to be trapped water in the exhaust system. WHEW!

I really hope that's the case with yours.

Same exact thing happened to me, took about a 10 minute drive before all the water was burned out of the pipes. You should have done some testing before tearing it all apart.
Posted on: 2009/1/17 15:16

pianoguy Re: Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Man, that blows - hope it is something simple!
Posted on: 2009/1/17 15:19

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

movnviolation Re: Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

Crankcase has water in the oil! Wish that would have been the problem.

Thanks!
Posted on: 2009/1/17 15:25

wesmigletz Re: Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

You may have had a leak where the intake and heads meet. Happened to me when we had my engine on a dyno.
Posted on: 2009/1/17 15:45

BrianCunningham Re: Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Posted on: 2009/1/17 17:29

Schrade Re: Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Do some of the OEM bolts extend into the coolant jackets?
Posted on: 2009/1/17 17:36

Resized Image

bogus Re: Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

IIRC, yes, they do...
Posted on: 2009/1/17 18:17

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

Quote:

wesmigletz wrote:
You may have had a leak where the intake and heads meet. Happened to me when we had my engine on a dyno.

You may be closer than you know! I had the heads milled from 65cc to 58cc at AFR when I ordered them. I called TPIS and asked them if I had to have the Miniram milled to match. I was told "No!" I am questioning this now.

Any thoughts?

Russ
Posted on: 2009/1/17 20:58

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

that could do it.

actually it was the 1st thought that occured to me.
Posted on: 2009/1/17 21:05

anesthes Re: Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

movnviolation wrote:
Quote:

wesmigletz wrote:

You may be closer than you know! I had the heads milled from 65cc to 58cc at AFR when I ordered them. I called TPIS and asked them if I had to have the Miniram milled to match. I was told "No!" I am questioning this now.

Any thoughts?

Russ

A lot of people make that mistake the first time around.

If you angle mill the heads, you MUST angle mill the face of the heads where the intake sits. You never ever ever mill an intake manifold. ever. That would be foolish, because you would be married to the intake forever and if you wanted to change you'll have to have another intake milled.

Now I'm assuming since you had AFR mill the heads they would have done the intake face (and you would see it)
but people make mistakes. I usually check all my clearances before I bolt it up.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/1/17 21:58

Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

I checked the paperwork I received with the heads, and it said the heads were flat milled. Said nothing about angle milling.
Also, I looked into the ports of the pass. side head still on the motor, and there is coolant sitting on the closed valves. Acually I could have stuck my head is as those ports are huge.
I am only a novice, but things are sure looking like intake, not head problems.
Posted on: 2009/1/18 0:00

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

post some pics, including the gaskets
Posted on: 2009/1/18 0:17

Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

It takes me days to try to post pics. However I would not know what to take a picture of. The head looks new, and so does the gasket. Absolutely no marks or distortions.
It seems everything is pointing at the intake. I will have the head checked locally rather than taking it to AFR at this time!
Thanks for the responses!
Posted on: 2009/1/18 3:13

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

I bet its as Wes said. A slight mill on the intake wont hurt anything tell your machinist how much they cut off the heads...dont do it unless you have to though. . You may be able to get away with using a thicker intake gasket. I bet $ thats the issue.

Sorry to hear you gotta tear that back down.
Posted on: 2009/1/18 3:23

BeachBum Re: Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Master Guru
751 Posts

Thicker gasket and/or double gasket can sometimes solve these problems. In any regards, its no big deal and I doubt you hurt your motor.... drain it, run some new oil once you get the motor going for a couple of minutes, then swap oil again.

good luck !
Posted on: 2009/1/18 4:03

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933547 ... chevrolet-corvette/page-1

Schrade Re: Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote: You may be able to get away with using a thicker intake gasket.

Ditto on the thicker gasket.

Last week, lookin' at some aluminum exhaust gaskets, they were close to 1/10" thick - .094. If you can find aluminum INTAKE gaskets like that, you could shave THEM...
Posted on: 2009/1/18 4:13

Resized Image

Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

The gaskets might be a way to go, however, I don't want to tear this down again incase that does not work. If the head is ok, and the machinist can make things right I will probably have him do it.
The car sounds like it will be a beast, and I will never do another. If the intake will only work on my heads, that ok.
Posted on: 2009/1/18 5:25

Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

If it were me I'd definately call AFR and confirm that they did an angle mill on the intake. If not, take them back and have AFR complete the job! If AFR did indeed do the intake surface, I'd have the machine shop simply check and re-surface the intake if needed.
Posted on: 2009/1/18 6:33

Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

The paperwork says flat mill to the heads. No angle mill was performed.

Thanks
Posted on: 2009/1/18 14:54

Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

Quote:

movnviolation wrote:

Thanks

I understand that. But placing a call to confirm they actually "forgot" to angle mill may save you a 75 mile trip. My entire point being that certainly they didn't forget to angle mill! I don't know the math, but it would seem alot of material was taken off the surface to get chambers down to 58cc. I understand that they can angle mill the head surface to minimize the change to intake alignment, but is that enough without also milling the intake surface? Only their machinists would know that.

As I said, I would ensure their heads are perfectly machined before going on to other issues.

Best of luck.
Posted on: 2009/1/18 17:37

Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

Quote:

Calm wrote:
Quote:

movnviolation wrote:

Thanks

I understand that. But placing a call to confirm they actually "forgot" to angle mill may save you a 75 mile trip. My entire point being that certainly they didn't forget to angle mill! I don't know the math, but it would seem alot of material was taken off the surface to get chambers down to 58cc. I understand that they can angle mill the head surface to minimize the change to intake alignment, but is that enough without also milling the intake surface? Only their machinists would know that.

As I said, I would ensure their heads are perfectly machined before going on to other issues.

Best of luck.

Gotcha, and good point! I really don't understand the arts of milling, but learning fast the hard way. I will be calling them Mon. A.M. also calling TPIS.
I guess I thought just taking meat off the bottom of the heads would simply drop the heads without changing the angle. Obviously not so! Assuming the problem is the intake.

And to think we do this for relaxation and enjoyment!!!
Posted on: 2009/1/18 17:52

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Russ get a thick intake gasket I bet youll be Ok. I had my heads severly angle miled (different than flat but still...) and the intake done accordingly. I still had to use a thick gasket to get it to seal, not a big deal but a PITA when you realize you have to rip the intake off, thas hot rodding. It will seal up.

Email tony with your issue, he'll help you sort it out.
tony@airflowresearch.com
Posted on: 2009/1/18 18:10

Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

Quote:

movnviolation wrote:

And to think we do this for relaxation and enjoyment!!!

LOL. No kidding, huh?
Posted on: 2009/1/18 19:11

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Did you get gaskets to match the miniram NOT having a cooling passage in the back?
Posted on: 2009/1/18 20:01

Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

The gaskets came with the Miniram. They do have water passages front and rear. Heads, miniram do not!
Posted on: 2009/1/19 2:59

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Why don't the heads???

EDIT:
They don't look like this do they?
Photobucket
Posted on: 2009/1/19 3:04

TonyMamo Re: Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Guru
54 Posts

Welcome to the world of high performance engine building....LOL

To clarify, your heads were in fact angle milled to 58cc and the intake interface corrected after that machining op (and headbolt shoulders spotfaced). Look at your paperwork next to the $260 charge for the angle mill operation. We only flatmill to 60 cc (max)....any less always gets done with an angle mill.

My guess is your problem stems from the fact your intake manifold might be hanging up on the end rails of your block (before the interface gaskets have been sealed/crushed) requiring either the bottom of the intake be machined and/or the use of a thicker gasket so when you torque down the manifold the end rails don't bottom before the gaskets along each side of the head (which are sealing water and air obviously).

The key is which course of action is better for performance (thicker gasket or machining the bottom of the intake that sits parallel with the block end rails). That answer is best handled by evaluating which option will better line up the intake ports of the manifold to the entrance of the cylinder head intake ports. If the intake is sitting low (in relation to the ports), a thicker gasket will raise it up solving both your problems (potential sealing issues and port alignment). If the manifold and runners line up nicely now (which means a double thick gasket will raise the manifold higher causing further misalignment), then the better approach is to mill the intake to clear the end rails and use a standard thick gasket once again.

I hope this helps and I hope my hypothesis into your problem might be on the right track.

Regards,
Tony
Posted on: 2009/1/19 17:37

dan0617 Re: Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

IF the manifold is hitting on the china walls of the block before sealing the ports and water passages, wouldn't it be possible to eliminate the china wall gaskets and just use a bead of permatex there to help gain some clearance?
Posted on: 2009/1/19 18:01

Guru
54 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
IF the manifold is hitting on the china walls of the block before sealing the ports and water passages, wouldn't it be possible to eliminate the china wall gaskets and just use a bead of permatex there to help gain some clearance?

Sure...that would help and offer some additional clearance.

To be honest, I never even use the endrail gaskets....silicone correctly applied works great and has less chance of leaking IMO.

-Tony
Posted on: 2009/1/19 18:40

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

That's all LTX engines ever used.

Just let it sit and cure for 24hr before you fire it up.
Posted on: 2009/1/19 18:54

Guru
54 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
That's all LTX engines ever used.

Just let it sit and cure for 24hr before you fire it up.

Yep...

I wasnt sure if on some of the later model stuff some gasket manufacturers included them or not (endrail gaskets).

Best way to check and see if your manifold is bottoming is to find some .060 washers, spring shims, whatever (I use valvespring shims), and place one in each corner leaned against the head so when you drop on the intake the shims represent your .060 crushed gasket thickness. You should be able to slide a thin feeler guage at the least between the end rail and the lower parallel face of the intake. If its hanging up on the end rails (zero clearance), the manifold wont even sit squarely on the shims unless you increase their thickness lifting the manifold off the endrail now allowing it to properly rest in the "V" created by the cylinder heads intake interface.

-Tony
Posted on: 2009/1/19 19:22

Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

I did use permatex on the ends, not gaskets. I saw a nice bead at both ends of the intake after I took it off. I don't believe it is bottoming out. I will have to check however. I am not at home now.

If I understand this correctly, and my heads were angle milled, this would mean that the intake surface of the heads were angle milled also. Therefore any intake should seal up, correct?

Tony is probably correct if it shows the heads were angle milled, they probably were. The head and intake will be at the shop in the A.M.
Posted on: 2009/1/20 3:16

anesthes Re: Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:

I always use a bead of "the right stuff".

While, Tony could be dead on. I don't think I've ever had an intake hang up on the china wall. I took like 12CC off my heads, and took about .020" out of the decks on the block and the intake seals fine with a felpro 1205.. But hey, every block is different.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/1/20 4:09

Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
Why don't the heads???

EDIT:
They don't look like this do they?
Photobucket

My mistake, heads have front and rear passages, intake does not! Did not have a chance to check until now. Was not shinning you on!
Thanks
Posted on: 2009/1/20 15:58

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Russ dont worry about the intake not having passages if the intake seals up it wont matter. If you want to get trick you can drill and tap a 1/2" or so hole in the intake where the passages "would" line up, use 2 brass fittings and connect the 2 with hose. Theres another way to route also but wont work with the mini. Not a must do just something else to spend money on I guess.

Blad, you cant grind intake gaskets down
Posted on: 2009/1/20 16:16

dan0617 Re: Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Keep us posted on the progress and the solution!
Posted on: 2009/1/22 13:00

Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

Well, decided to put everything back together and check all clearances on the ends of the block. Got Mr. Gasket 1/8" thick intake gaskets and set them on with the intake manifold on top. Plenty of clearance. Lifted the intake and put a lot of silicone on the ends. set the manifold and torqued it down. Beautiful seal, manifold nice and straight. All the sides were even. Put the R/R's back on, headers, hooked everything back up and start the beast. Lights right away and here comes the water again. Same thing.
Both heads are comming off on sunday (tomorrow) and my son has to go into L.A. on tuesday and he will take the heads back to AFR and let them check them out.
Called AFR on Tues and they checked the shop paperwork.
Was told that the heads were flat milled .020, and angle milled .046. Not sure what that means. Erik said that he would recommend using 1/8" gaskets. He also said that the heads are tested prior to shipping.
Thats where I am at right now!
Kinda wish that I would have just replaced the T/O bearing that started all of this and been done!!

Thanks for listening.

Russ
Posted on: 2009/1/24 6:14

Matatk Re: Arrrggg #@$%!!!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Is your son taking the intake with him, too? I don't know if that will make a difference or not if AFR is "only" checking the heads, but might not be a bad idea?

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/1/24 12:23

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.