Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
246 user(s) are online (201 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C2
Abbreviation for the 2nd generation of Corvettes built from 1963-1967....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Epimax Troubleshooting-Help Needed!
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Howdy Gurus,

First, I haven't done a search yet, because I just haven't had time...Lets say, it's been a crappy day...and the breakdown is the least of my problems...

Ok...this may be long, but I'm a stickler for details. I'll try to keep it short...

Car shut off today leaving parking lot, so I pushed it back into a space to check things out. After a few minutes, it started up and ran fine. I decided to let it idle a few minutes before tempting fate by getting into heavy traffic..
Well, it shut off again. Right after it shut off, I tried to start it again and it would start, then shut off immediately. After a few tries, it just kept turning over and I knew it wasn't going to fire.
Well, I called the wrecker, etc. Once he got there my suspicions were confirmed that my recent lowering job was going to keep me from getting a ride with that tow truck, since he didn't have any specilized equip for lowered cars....ughhh..

So, WTH, I try to start the car and it fires right up. I let it idle for 10 minutes, sounds great. So, I head out on the backstreets. Got a mile down the road and it shut off again.....WTF..
I wound up calling the wife and we pulled it to my Moms condo, which was about 1/2 mile away and there it sits...
I'm thinking...
1. Fuel pump
2. fuel filter
3?????

It's a 93LT1, the opti, plugs, wires, etc are a year old...

There was no check engine light on, etc..and when it was running it sounded fine--No hesitation, sputtering, etc

Any Ideas?
Posted on: 2009/3/12 23:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

1Fast04Vert Re: Troubleshooting-Help Needed!
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

ICM just comes to mind right off the get go.
Posted on: 2009/3/13 0:01

BillH Re: Troubleshooting-Help Needed!
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Does sound kinda like fuel. Put a gauge on it and run it.
And pull the codes, you can get some codes w/o the check engine lite.
Posted on: 2009/3/13 0:04

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Epimax1 wrote:

Car shut off today leaving parking lot,

Was the car just warming up or had it been run for a while, totally warmed up?
Posted on: 2009/3/13 0:55

raggedclaws Re: Troubleshooting-Help Needed!
Guru Newb
rio vista, ca.
10 Posts

Bummer, David.

Probably not relevant, but my one 02 sensor and sensor wire are really exposed to any potential bashing from under the car. I'm wondering if the problems you've had with that speed bump at work might have damaged the sensor or sensor wire. I don't know if a malfunctioning 02 sensor would create the problem you're having or if yours are exposed like mine, but I wonder if the recent lowering could be related. Good luck tracking it down.

Kim
Posted on: 2009/3/13 0:56

Epimax Re: Troubleshooting-Help Needed!
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Epimax1 wrote:

It has been shut off for about 45min, prior to that, it was totally warmed up..
Posted on: 2009/3/13 0:59

Woodstock Re: Troubleshooting-Help Needed!
Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

Since it's heat related and shuts down when reaching operating temp and works again after some cool down time, it could be a short in one of the injectors, measure resistance when hot.
ICM sounds better, though. Worst case ECM.
Posted on: 2009/3/13 1:00

Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

raggedclaws wrote:
Bummer, David.

Probably not relevant, but my one 02 sensor and sensor wire are really exposed to any potential bashing from under the car. I'm wondering if the problems you've had with that speed bump at work might have damaged the sensor or sensor wire. I don't know if a malfunctioning 02 sensor would create the problem you're having or if yours are exposed like mine, but I wonder if the recent lowering could be related. Good luck tracking it down.

Kim

Thanks Kim!
I do believe mine is exposed as well, but as far as I can tell, the resonator is what's catching that speed bump at work. I'll definitely check that out when I figure out how to get it home!!
Posted on: 2009/3/13 1:01

raggedclaws Re: Troubleshooting-Help Needed!
Guru Newb
rio vista, ca.
10 Posts

I had to have mine towed last month (master cylinder failed). I told AAA to send a flat bed truck. The driver was really careful and didn't have a problem getting it on the bed. This was before I lowered it though. Seems like a 2x10 in front of the front wheels would allow them to pull it up on the truck. Might be a problem with the tail pipes dragging though. Mine were really close. Maybe once the front wheels are on the ramps, the 2x10 could be moved to the front of the rear tires to protect the tail pipes while it's pulled up. Just thinking out loud (probably not a good idea).

Kim
Posted on: 2009/3/13 1:24

Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

raggedclaws wrote:
I had to have mine towed last month (master cylinder failed). I told AAA to send a flat bed truck. The driver was really careful and didn't have a problem getting it on the bed. This was before I lowered it though. Seems like a 2x10 in front of the front wheels would allow them to pull it up on the truck. Might be a problem with the tail pipes dragging though. Mine were really close. Maybe once the front wheels are on the ramps, the 2x10 could be moved to the front of the rear tires to protect the tail pipes while it's pulled up. Just thinking out loud (probably not a good idea).

Kim

I told the guy when I called that I had a lowered vette, but evidently he just isn't equipped for this type of job-or he didn't understand what I was telling him!
We pushed it up to the flatbed, and before the tires even got near the bed, the front was hitting the deck. If he had went ahead and wenched it up, it would have been nasty...
I'm going to do a lot of calling around today, and see if I can find someone who has the gear for this! I'm not going to try to make a run for it again, because this time it would probably shut down on me on the bridge over the Cape Fear, and that would be badddd...!! (Plus, it's Friday 13'th, so who knows....Jason may be waiting in the shadows!)
Posted on: 2009/3/13 10:24

tjpreul Re: Troubleshooting-Help Needed!
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

This might sound old school, but it may be the coil. They will quit when they are hot, and work when they cool down. When the car dies I would do a spark test.
Posted on: 2009/3/13 13:25

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Epimax1 wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Epimax1 wrote:

It has been shut off for about 45min, prior to that, it was totally warmed up..

Well, then it could be electrical, LT1's take forever to cool down. Though the ICM usually would have to cool down quite a bit to start working again.

You are going to have to run it again to do the diagnosis and it should be warmed up. Tjpreul mentioned the coil, yep possible, the a break in the winding can expand when hot and loose conductivity then contract when it cools down. So, when it shuts down again check for spark, any plug wire will do. The only problem is that if you don't have spark, you won't know if it's the coil or ICM. So, you'll need to check both.

You also need to put a pressure gage on and observe it when the car shuts down. Most gages have a long enough hose that you can duct tape the gage to the windshield and watch it while driving ( maybe in a parking lot). The hood can be closed (but not latched) on the gage hose while you drive.
I've driven mine at 60mph like this with no problems.
Posted on: 2009/3/13 14:24

bogus Re: Troubleshooting-Help Needed!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

If you suspect the coil or ICM, get a can of cold spray.

Once you're back up to op temp, and it dies, spray one with the cold spray. Then restart and see if it dies.

Repeat as needed.

The lack of codes indicates it's not a sensored part. If the O2 or a harness component to a sensored part failed, then I would expect - hell, demand - a code.

It also eliminates the ECM. It will normally go into limp home mode, not dead mode, if it has a problem. And more than likely, you would get all sorts of light - SYS on the speedo and an ABS/ASR light.
Posted on: 2009/3/13 14:33

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Thanks for everyone for their input!!

Please forgive my ignorance, but what's the best/safest way to check for spark? (location on the block, etc). Not sure if I'll have a 2'nd set of eyes when I try this...

I'm going to stop by the parts store on the way back and get the fuel pressure gauge, as well as a can of cold spray.
I'd also like to get something to retrieve codes while I'm there. Any suggestions? For the 93's, it's still OBD1, right?

Now, I've just got to figure out how to get it home. Going to search the yellow pages I suppose!!
Posted on: 2009/3/13 15:55

Midnight85 Re: Troubleshooting-Help Needed!
Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
It also eliminates the ECM. It will normally go into limp home mode, not dead mode,

Just a bit of clarification here, on the newer ECM's you are probably correct, (I don't know) but on my '85, when the ECM was being affected by heat it would just flat die and wouldn't go again until it cooled down. Drove me nuts until a guy suggested that I try another ECM.
Posted on: 2009/3/13 16:17

Lichen Re: Troubleshooting-Help Needed!
Guru
Scottsdale, Arizona
166 Posts

Sounds like ICM to me. IIRC, that's a code 42.
Posted on: 2009/3/13 17:52

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Epimax1 wrote:

Please forgive my ignorance, but what's the best/safest way to check for spark? (location on the block, etc). Not sure if I'll have a 2'nd set of eyes when I try this...

I'm going to stop by the parts store on the way back and get the fuel pressure gauge, as well as a can of cold spray.
I'd also like to get something to retrieve codes while I'm there. Any suggestions? For the 93's, it's still OBD1, right?

Now, I've just got to figure out how to get it home. Going to search the yellow pages I suppose!!

Just pop up to our tech library and go into "electrical" for your code pull, Andy's write up is great. Printit out for your shop. All you need is a paperclip.

To check for spark, pull any plug wire, stick a phillips screwdriver in the boot lightly so you don't screw up the connector. Hold the metal portion of the screwdriver 1/8 inch from a metal ground like the shields. Hold the screwdriver by the handle, this will keep you from getting shocked. Have someone turnover the motor.
Posted on: 2009/3/13 19:34

Epimax Re: Troubleshooting-Help Needed!---UPDATE
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Epimax1 wrote:

Just pop up to our tech library and go into "electrical" for your code pull, Andy's write up is great. Printit out for your shop. All you need is a paperclip.

To check for spark, pull any plug wire, stick a phillips screwdriver in the boot lightly so you don't screw up the connector. Hold the metal portion of the screwdriver 1/8 inch from a metal ground like the shields. Hold the screwdriver by the handle, this will keep you from getting shocked. Have someone turnover the motor.

Thank you sir!! I've got the write up Andy has in the tech library printed out and ready to go. Thanks for the instructions on checking spark. I had a feeling that was the way to do it, but I wanted to make certain!
Car will be home tomorrow morning, so we'll see..

Also, I went and tried to start it today after work, and it fired right up....for about 1 minute...then it shut down, just as if you switched off the ignition. Tried to restart, and it wouldn't catch....
I could hear the fuel pump priming both times, so I guess that's ok.
One last thing....When it did start, it sounded like the valves were tapping slightly...That's a first...It's never done that before....Could something really bad be going on here??
Thanks again for everyones imput. Man, this forum is great!!
David
Posted on: 2009/3/13 23:21

CFI-EFI Re: Troubleshooting-Help Needed!---UPDATE
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

Epimax1 wrote:
One last thing....When it did start, it sounded like the valves were tapping slightly...That's a first...It's never done that before....Could something really bad be going on here??
David
Even though it runs, it doesn't hurt to check the fuel pressure, especially when it craps out on you.

Whatever is causing the valve tapping, isn't likely making the engine stall. For piece of mind, however, check your dipstick to be sure it has oil, and only oil.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/3/14 0:30

BillH Re: Troubleshooting-Help Needed!---UPDATE
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Epimax1 wrote:

Also, I went and tried to start it today after work, and it fired right up....for about 1 minute...then it shut down, just as if you switched off the ignition. Tried to restart, and it wouldn't catch....
David

The cold start shutdown makes me think it's not the ICM. Even though the pump is running, you may not have enough pressure and the filter could be clogged.

If you picked up the pressure gage. The connection is on the fuel rail, pass side (pull the black cover off). Hook up and turn on the key (don't start). The pressure should be 41 - 47lbs. If it's lower, it may be the filter.
Turn the key off & watch the gauge, is it holding pressure? If it's not, it could be the fuel pressure regulator or possibly leaking injectors.

Start the motor & idle, the press should be 3 - 10 lbs lower. if it shuts down again, what is the gage reading?
Posted on: 2009/3/14 2:09

CentralCoaster Re: Troubleshooting-Help Needed!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

If the fuel delivery or pump was that intermittent, I think he'd get some coughing and sputtering.

I think it's the ignition module or coil.

Do you have a timing light to check for spark?
Posted on: 2009/3/14 7:50

Epimax Re: Troubleshooting-Help Needed!---UPDATE
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
[quote]
Epimax1 wrote:

If you picked up the pressure gage. The connection is on the fuel rail, pass side (pull the black cover off). Hook up and turn on the key (don't start). The pressure should be 41 - 47lbs. If it's lower, it may be the filter.
Turn the key off & watch the gauge, is it holding pressure? If it's not, it could be the fuel pressure regulator or possibly leaking injectors.

Start the motor & idle, the press should be 3 - 10 lbs lower. if it shuts down again, what is the gage reading?

Thanks! I'm going to meet the tow truck at 9pm, by noon hopefully I'll have the fuel pressure readings..

I did check the oil, just to make sure there was oil, and only oil, in there!! Big relief, just oil!
Posted on: 2009/3/14 12:05

Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
If the fuel delivery or pump was that intermittent, I think he'd get some coughing and sputtering.

I think it's the ignition module or coil.

Do you have a timing light to check for spark?

I don't have a timing light. I was going to check for spark by the method BillH recommended earlier...
May pick one up....sounds like something I need to have anyway..
Thanks!
Posted on: 2009/3/14 12:07

vetted Re: Troubleshooting-Help Needed!
Guru Newb
10 Posts

Quote:

Lichen wrote:
Sounds like ICM to me. IIRC, that's a code 42.

Hi guys, sitting here dreaming about taking a ride in my '91 BUT can't even get into it with the gear I'm wearing. Thrown/fell out of my F-150 and all 217 pounds of me landed on my left shoulder, pretty messed up, had an operation on Mar 10th, thank heaven someone concocted good drugs, although I hate being all foggy.

There is a term? ( IIRC ) quoted above, I've seen it used b4 on a ham radio site but never took/had the time to ask WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Back to lurking, I don't speak much but am learning a lot just listening...THANKS

73 Ed
Posted on: 2009/3/24 1:33

Matatk Re: Troubleshooting-Help Needed!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Ed - IIRC = if I recall correctly.

Dave - what's the final verdict?

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/3/24 1:40

Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Ed - IIRC = if I recall correctly.

Dave - what's the final verdict?

Matthew

Hi Matthew!

Man, I'm still waiting on Ecklers to send the right part. (I received the new coil (MSD) from Summit, what..2 days after I ordered it)The Ecklers order arrived last Wednesday, and it sure wasn't an ICM in that box. I called customer service and they said that I'd have to ship the part back to them, and once they got it THEN they'd ship the correct part. (Insert, WTH?) The lady said they'd send me a pre-paid label, which would take 2-3 days to receive, and I told her forget the label,--I'd pay for the shipping, and they could just credit my account--Just get the right part out asap... No problem, she says....

Well, its nearly a week later, and no part. I've emailed this CS rep several times, with no reply. They're getting a call this am, because my patience has reached its end...

Has anyone else ever have problems with Ecklers? I've ordered a few items here and there, and never had a problem...until now...
Tks!
Posted on: 2009/3/24 10:48

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Epimax1 wrote:

Has anyone else ever have problems with Ecklers? I've ordered a few items here and there, and never had a problem...until now...
Tks!

This was all over the other forum, more than once. Many stories like yours, especially the customer service problems.
I won't buy from them.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 14:17

bomar76 Re: Troubleshooting-Help Needed!
Guru Newb
Marysville Ohio
37 Posts

Yes.....I have had a less than 50/50 success ratio with getting the parts I ordered from Ecklers.
I am starting to think they just walk around and toss random items in the boxes.
They are last on my list.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 16:51

Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Well, after waiting on the phone for 25 minutes, I finally got the issue resolved and the part is on it's way now. The CS rep I spoke with last week didn't submit the replacement order, despite the fact that I had provided the return tracking number, etc... Go figure...

Anyway, the CS rep I got today apologized for the delay, and admitted there was no excuse, etc, etc...

Still, they are going to be the last resort form here out..
Hopefully, it will be at the house Thursday...
We Shall See...
Posted on: 2009/3/24 17:11

vette079 Re: Troubleshooting-Help Needed!
Guru Newb
svenljunga
15 Posts

Same here, some orders arrived well and correct, but once I had ordered two rear brake rotors for my 91, guess what I got home.
Two rear brake rotors for an 84-87 vette, in plastic pouch labeled with their article number for the 88-96 rear rotors, wich came in a box with the same article number for the 88-96 rear rotors.
Since I live in Sweden there was no way of sending them back (shipping costs for me), but luckily I found someone here in Sweden who was restoring his 84.
He took them of my hands for the same price I bought them for plus a part of the shipping costs.
So, it´s pretty risky when you´re living outside the States and order stuff from Ecklers.
Ordered from other vendors (not only corvette related) without any problems.
Posted on: 2009/3/25 17:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.