Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C6
Abbreviation for the 6th generation of Corvettes built starting in 2005 and are still in production....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

flyboy A sad situation
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Posted on: 2010/5/26 17:34
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

biggrizzly Re: A sad situation
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

That's a real mess.. I don't think any level of human effort is really going to do any good in cleaning up the mess we have created. Mother Nature will clean this mess up in her own way soon!
Posted on: 2010/5/26 17:47

pianoguy Re: A sad situation
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Wow, very sad indeed!
Posted on: 2010/5/26 18:44

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

RickAnthony Re: A sad situation
ASE Master Certified
Downers Grove, IL
703 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
That's a real mess.. I don't think any level of human effort is really going to do any good in cleaning up the mess we have created. Mother Nature will clean this mess up in her own way soon!

Yea and it's not going to be good... were all F'd

-=Rick
Posted on: 2010/5/26 18:45
RickAnthonyMotorsports.NET

Matatk Re: A sad situation
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22812 Posts

Those pictures really put it in perspective!
Posted on: 2010/5/26 20:46

BrianCunningham Re: A sad situation
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I'm glad they don't work with nuclear stuff

How hard would it have been to put a container on BEFORE it blew up?
Posted on: 2010/5/26 21:05

pr0zac Re: A sad situation
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

seriously. with all of the fucking technology we have in the world they can't come up with a way to fix this. NOBODY thought about about this as a risk and made a fucking plan to fix it.. how the hell do they get away with this horseshit. its beyond pathetic.
Posted on: 2010/5/26 23:16

4543 Posts

I worked in the Nuclear Industry for 15 years. Every facility, every system had a SAR - Safety Analysis Report. They where volumes and identified risk assessments and mediation etc. I know that there cannot always be 100% sure of potential fuck ups, but I think someone was again seriously asleep at the wheel! As I said in the earlier thread mother nature will be the final clean up here. No way in hell that a bunch of floating pig socks can suck up all that oil.
Posted on: 2010/5/27 3:01

TommyT-Bone Re: A sad situation
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33821 Posts

Plug that sonofabitch. BP lost control of the well. Russians had success with and recommended a low yield nuclear detonation to seal that sucker off. Do we have any torpedoes in our arsenal that might be effective closing that hole?

Ya know, this crap just never ends. We as a nation, have been in one hell of a tailspin. I hope the pilots can regain control of the wheel before we crash and burn. Might already be to late. Maybe we just need some more good old fashioned rhetoric. ( not )
Posted on: 2010/5/27 3:14

CentralCoaster Re: A sad situation
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

If it's pumping that much out through a pipe, there's got to be some hefty pressure behind it. I think the fear is that half of the "solutions" could potentially make the leak worse.

I see lots of talking heads saying BP doesn't know what they're doing, but do these people have a better idea?

Unless you seriously think BP is trying to destroy the world intentionally.... the only other rationale is that they are trying everything under the sun to stop this. After all, they have the most to lose. Some say the government should step in. WTF would they do? The government can't even balance a checkbook and has zero resources to stop a leak at the bottom of the ocean.

We're all at the mercy of BP at this point, like it or not.
Posted on: 2010/5/27 5:25

pr0zac Re: A sad situation
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

we are screwed. end of story. we can fly a man to the fucking moon but they can't somehow fix a pipe. i can't for the life of me imagine that there is no possible way to pinch off the pipe to at least slow it down.
Posted on: 2010/5/27 5:38

Jeffvette Re: A sad situation
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Some say the government should step in. WTF would they do? The government can't even balance a checkbook and has zero resources to stop a leak at the bottom of the ocean.

Come on, Obama is the master of "Change". He will change direction of the oil flow and what has been spilled will be sucked back to the ocean floor!

When I get home, I will post up my shots from the Valdez.
Posted on: 2010/5/27 6:29

TommyT-Bone Re: A sad situation
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33821 Posts

I'm sure it wouldn't take this long to fix if the crude wasn't black and it wasn't Louisiana taking the hit. What does the NAACP, ACLU and the Reverends Jesse Jackson and Al Shartpton have to say about this? Tell me BP is not profiling the oil to stop the leak.

CC, you make a good point about BP. The longer it goes on the more it costs the company. No corporation wants to bleed like that. As far as government take over, first it has to go through a hearing, then committee selection and approval, then face court challenges, then subject it to bid proposal, then face more legal challenges, then hire the lowest bidder that is owned by Halliburton so that Halliburton can reap the profits for closing the hole that laid beneath the rig they owned in the first place. Hell they haven't even hired the lobbyists to sweeten the pot for the congressmen, senators and President, to help make the decisions in who is going to award the contract.

GO BP !!!

We know you can do it !
Posted on: 2010/5/27 11:07

Fluff Re: A sad situation
Senior Guru
Winchester UK & Alicante ES
247 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
I worked in the Nuclear Industry for 15 years. Every facility, every system had a SAR - Safety Analysis Report. They where volumes and identified risk assessments and mediation etc. I know that there cannot always be 100% sure of potential fuck ups, but I think someone was again seriously asleep at the wheel! As I said in the earlier thread mother nature will be the final clean up here. No way in hell that a bunch of floating pig socks can suck up all that oil.

I don't know the full story, I just overhead something 'in passing' on the news yesterday, but I thought they mentioned something like 7 alarms or warning indications going off within a few hours prior to the initial blow. If that was the case then surely they could have locked the well down before people were killed and all this damage was done!... not that I know anything about oil wells.

Those pics are heartbreaking and in my opinion it's all down to human greed be it oil co's, governments, et all.
Posted on: 2010/5/27 11:37

4543 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
If it's pumping that much out through a pipe, there's got to be some hefty pressure behind it. I think the fear is that half of the "solutions" could potentially make the leak worse.

I see lots of talking heads saying BP doesn't know what they're doing, but do these people have a better idea?

Unless you seriously think BP is trying to destroy the world intentionally.... the only other rationale is that they are trying everything under the sun to stop this. After all, they have the most to lose. Some say the government should step in. WTF would they do? The government can't even balance a checkbook and has zero resources to stop a leak at the bottom of the ocean.

We're all at the mercy of BP at this point, like it or not.

I agree and was thinking the same thing. What the frick does Washington think they can do, that BP is not already trying to do? I have some bleeding hearts here at work that think BP has fallen down in paying lost salaries for the shrimpers and fishermem down there. I think it would be great for BP to put them on the clean-up payroll, but that's not going to happen over night. I don't think BP enjoys thier oil well spewing thousands of barrells of oil ($$$$$) each week this goes by. I think its safe to say they are probably busting thier balls to find a solution.
Posted on: 2010/5/27 12:46

CentralCoaster Re: A sad situation
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Btw, the pressure at that depth is about 2,000 psi.

That's about the same amount of pressure as having a dumptruck park on your foot. The hydraulic brake lines on your car operate at closer to 1,000 psi.

I wonder why the containment dome had to have a pipe connection to bleed off the oil pressure. Would simply blocking the oil flow cause more to leak out elsewhere? Because that's what the current attempt seems to be trying.

It seems like they're trying to clog a fat 8"(?) pipe by injecting mud into the smaller lines feeding into it, all the while the crude is blasting out of there with some good velocity and probably carrying all or most of the mud out with it.
Posted on: 2010/5/27 17:17

BrianCunningham Re: A sad situation
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

the President is on right now
Posted on: 2010/5/27 17:28

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22812 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

Good. Maybe they can stuff him down the pipe.
Posted on: 2010/5/27 22:14

Fluff Re: A sad situation
Senior Guru
Winchester UK & Alicante ES
247 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

Good. Maybe they can stuff him down the pipe.

I assume you don't like him Matt. Is he not exactly a popular president (I thought he was)!?

Early reports seem encouraging (hope they can get the concrete on top and make sure):-

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stor ... oil-leak-115875-22291483/
Posted on: 2010/5/28 8:51

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22812 Posts

Well Fluff, you can say that I am not a fan. But I didn't like him before he was President, either (he represented IL before).

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/5/28 11:34

Danspeed1 Re: A sad situation
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Well you can thank our wonderful, capable president for stepping in immediately to help get this resolved...

Can't blame the oil companies... why should they care... not like we ever hold them accountable for ANYTHING they do... what makes this situation any different.

Poor them... they are probably losing millions/billions of dollars due to this oil spill.... that's ok, I am sure they are just going to raise gas prices to compensate for the loss...

What a world we live in... 2010 !

DG
Posted on: 2010/5/29 8:03
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.