Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
313 user(s) are online (218 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  1983
The year with no Corvette production. There is only one surviving 1983 Corvette. The one 1983 Corvette is in the National Corvette Museum, (NCM), in ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Friday Chat 09.03.10
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Well, I had an uncomfortable evening trying to sleep. I somehow managed to get a ton of bug bites around my ankles in the last two days and they were all inflamed and itchy. I mean there were like 20. Still not sure exactly how I got all of them. I think part of it was wearing shoes but no socks the other night while standing in the front yard for a few hours. I ended up taking a claritin (didn't help) used hydrocortizone cream (didn't help) and putting ice bags on them (that finally worked). They seem to have gotten less swollen now, but I'm gonna get some benadryl later and I put some neosporin them now to see if that helps. What a weird ailment, huh? I've never had it this bad. Hopefully it clears up today.

Back to work today so I'm not in a good mood...haha. Oh well, I'm just looking forward to next month and being off for the baby. Just focus on that and I'll be ok.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/9/3 11:26

Vetron87 Re: Friday Chat 09.03.10
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Good Morning Guys! Great day cool high of 70 today. Its about time. Turn the A/C off. The students get 10 words /week pertaining to woods and construction. This should be a hoot Bastard file will bring some comments I'm sure.
Well guys class is about ready to start! some kid has a gang sign engraved in his new hair cut, his ass is out. Gotta go !!!!!!
Posted on: 2010/9/3 11:46

teebee Re: Friday Chat 09.03.10
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Morning guys....very nice morning here, 46* looking for a high of 80. Matt, I had that problem three days ago, no idea where I got mine either. Very annoying to say the least. Ron, I'm glad that I don't have to face those kinds of problems here, don't think I could take it. Yea "bastard file" always brings snickers. Got to get going here....later.
Posted on: 2010/9/3 12:12

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Friday Chat 09.03.10
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Happy Friday! Some large animal, probably a deer, hit my son's car broadside a little while ago when he was on his way home - smashed the driver's side window, ripped the mirror off, dented the door and left little fur bits on the edges. My son is OK, had some small cuts on his face from the glass. A change of underwear probably is in order. So I'll be on the horn with our insurance agent shortly.

I'm at home today, looks like a gloomy start, so that should probably push yard work off a bit. Have a good one!
Posted on: 2010/9/3 12:44

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Ultraman Re: Friday Chat 09.03.10
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

Brad, I am glad it wasn't any worse. I had a deer run into the side of my car once. I couldn't believe it. Did some damage. I always worry about deer when I am on my motorcycle. Sometimes you don't survive those encounters.
We have some Smartcars running around town now, and I'm thinking I wouldn't want a raccoon to run into me in one of those. What, do they just bury you in those things? Saves money on a casket I quess.

I am taking today and the rest of the weekend off from work. I will be at work around the house mowing and cleaning up, they don't call it labor day for nothing. Ultraboy has an away game tonight and we hope it goes better than last week. (49 to 7) Yikes!

Weather is beautiful will have to do some driving in the 90. Have a great weekend Guru's! Try a random act of kindness on someone!
Posted on: 2010/9/3 13:04

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

captmike13 Re: Friday Chat 09.03.10
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

Good morning gurus. We're in De Soto Mo. headed to Arkansas to the parents house for the weekend. It's a nice stop after a long workday and drive. Good to hear your son is ok Brad. I've never had an encounter with a deer yet, some close calls but no accident. I hit a 2x4 on the freeway on the way down and it took out the guys mirror behind us. Lost the ac in the truck on the way so looks like I'll have to investigate that. Hope everyone has a safe and fun holiday.
Posted on: 2010/9/3 13:43

captmike13@yahoo.com

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Well this is a kick in the head. I have to teach complete sentence structure, so I ask," I teach technical writing as apart of my course." No Ron everything has to be in complete sentences. Tech writing now is endless, no more dots, or insert a into part b. or Mitre off set 1 degree at 45.
So I start splitting verbs in a complete sentence.
Oh and by the way is there anyway to teach metric system instead of that other way you teach, ya mean "standard" units of measurement. This is coming from a counselor.
No this is not going to happen all my machines are calibrated in standard units. Went completely over his head. That little prick!! It stays the way it is, let the academic wing handle the problem!
The metric dim. my kids know is 9mm Luger/9mm parabelum
Posted on: 2010/9/3 14:02

1Fast04Vert Re: Friday Chat 09.03.10
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Since my 15 yr old Sears tractor is about worn out (other than the Kohler engine) it was time to do something. I did a bit of research and settled on either a John Deere or a Cub Cadet. Yesterday a bought a Cub Cadet LTX1045 for $1,000 with only 6 hrs on it, plus it came with a tow behind cart. The mower alone is $1925 new, then add in another couple of hundred for the cart. It should be the last tractor/mower I will ever need and I am very impressed with it so far.
[IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f386/andyminnich/100_1349.jpg[/IMG]

And the day before I bought a very nice utility trailer for $350 so I think I have done my share to help the economy this week.
Posted on: 2010/9/3 14:42

biggrizzly Re: Friday Chat 09.03.10
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Happy Labor Day Weekend Gurus!

Well almost. I'm working from home today. Its nice working at home; no interruptions and I can play my music while I work without bugging anyone. I got up early today and made it the gym. First time for everything. I have been back on my bicycle riding again too. I have been riding every other night between 10 and 25 miles each ride. I'm getting ready to up the mileage again this weekend and do a 45 miler with some friends on Monday. I have dropped 25lbs as of this morning since the first of August. I'd like to get to the gym at least twice a week for an upper body workout. The bike seems to keep my legs in pretty good shape. My cores is a mess; that really needs some help.

BUG BITES -- HA HA HA ---- Come visit me if you want to get some bug bites. My backyard borders a 700 acre or so Wetland. That's a nice word for swamp! We have all kinds of crawly and slithering things back there and flying ones too! The worst bugs are the itty bitty tiny mosquitoes. They can tear your ass up in just a few minutes if you don't have Deet or Off sprayed on. We have found some great little lanterns that keep them at bay and really seem to work. I could never, ever go into my yard bare-footed without spray for any period of time and expect to not get bitten up. If I get them real bad, I will take Benadryl tablets and spray on some anti-itching spray for the two or three days of the worst. I feel for ya Matt!!

I'm gonna try to go down to the marina and rent a Kayak this weekend too and paddle up the creek behind my house. (See Photo) I have been wanting to do this for a long time. Maybe I'll like it enough to get me one. I live close enough to the water. It almost seems like a no-brainer I should have a canoe or kayak for a little recreational activity. (like I don't have enough things to do already)

Oh yeah, maybe I will get started on my car again! LOL

Chat again later! Have a great weekend

Attach file:

jpg  don'shouse2.jpg (553.12 KB)
342_4c8109c0025ab.jpg 1280X853 px
Posted on: 2010/9/3 14:46

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Well this is a kick in the head. I have to teach complete sentence structure, so I ask," I teach technical writing as apart of my course." No Ron everything has to be in complete sentences. Tech writing now is endless, no more dots, or insert a into part b. or Mitre off set 1 degree at 45.
So I start splitting verbs in a complete sentence.
Oh and by the way is there anyway to teach metric system instead of that other way you teach, ya mean "standard" units of measurement. This is coming from a counselor.
No this is not going to happen all my machines are calibrated in standard units. Went completely over his head. That little prick!! It stays the way it is, let the academic wing handle the problem!
The metric dim. my kids know is 9mm Luger/9mm parabelum

They still leave me alone, as far as the complete sentence thing goes, and just ask that I continue our technical writing. When appropriate, I require complete sentences, but those situations are rare.

As far as the metric system, well, I do what I can in my drafting class. About half of the drawings I have them do are metric. As far as the shop....well, like Ron, everything is calibrated in U.S. Standard (inches down to 1/32"). No way would attempt to convert all that to metric or make the kids convert, it's just plain stupid to do that. Frankly, I like the metric system, but when everything is standard, it makes no sense to try and force the kids to convert. My counselor and principal pretty much leave me alone.
Posted on: 2010/9/3 15:46

Resized Image

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

This is a new counselor trying to make a name for himself! Principal cornered him and set him straight about the Industrial Arts Dept. Pretty much all the staff leaves me alone until they want something built or fixed. Things never change.
Posted on: 2010/9/3 16:10

pianoguy Re: Friday Chat 09.03.10
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Gotta say I'm delighted with Allstate - I left a message with my agent, got a call back shortly after that, and 20 minutes later I was at their drive-thru claim service. About $2400 in damage - they need to replace driver's door, left rear door window and do some paint work. And clean up a shitload of glass.
Posted on: 2010/9/3 16:55

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
This is a new counselor trying to make a name for himself! Principal cornered him and set him straight about the Industrial Arts Dept. Pretty much all the staff leaves me alone until they want something built or fixed. Things never change.

Yea, I know exactly what you mean, build or fix this or that. And in my case if they want something printed, I have the districts only large format printer. As word gets around I'm getting calls from MS and GS teachers asking if I can "Make a couple of posters".

Brad, glad that it has been a painless process. I haven't had to deal with an insurance claim for a while.
Posted on: 2010/9/3 17:42

Resized Image

TommyT-Bone Re: Friday Chat 09.03.10
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Hello everyone. I'm checking in late today. Was up again before the sun came up. Took a ride over to a plant nursery in Immokalee Fl. This place is about 5 miles back off the main (paved) road. Really nice Florida country. Today we saw deer, a hawk, herons, egrets, wild turkies, ibis, anhingas, turkey vultures, a few aligators, some massive bulls, a rabbit, a fresh roadkilled owl, and a few more creatures. You get the idea. None of them tried to run into the truck. Glad about that. They had a gator catcher coming out to pull an 8 footer out of the pond about 70 yards from the house. This is nothing special for us. We live in gator country. Rode on the back of a farm tractor and picked up a couple hundred plants for our nursery. This is actually one of the more enjoyable trips to pick up plants. We sprayed ourselves with some Deep Woods Cutter before we even got close to there. Managed to get bit a few times by some red ants that were calling a couple of pots home. Them little buggers can bite. The owners son has given me an open invitation to come hunting with him whenever I'd care to. I like to fish more than hunt. They have black bear, wild hog as well as an occasional Florida Panther and the more common bobcat. I know they are there, we've just never seen any. Cut the grass at the nursery and picked up the 911 today. My day is done once I feed the critters around here.
Tomorrow I'm back to my regular routine .... whatever that is.
Posted on: 2010/9/3 22:26

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

This one is for Don

Quote:

I'm gonna try to go down to the marina and rent a Kayak this weekend too and paddle up the creek behind my house.

Don't forget to take an extra collapsable paddle. There is nothing worse than being up the creek without a paddle.
Posted on: 2010/9/3 22:33

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

No gators Tommy, just coyotes going after house pets, rabbits.and anything else they can find. They run in packs, kinda neat to watch, one will limp luring a dog to check it out the other two will attack. I do not hunt animals but hate to see a pet or baby get slaughtered! Ive found if I kill the alpha male the pack will move on.
Posted on: 2010/9/3 23:10

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

In the wild, animals do what an animal has to do. When people live among the animals (not the kind in the cities), you are on their turf. They just do what they're hard wired to do.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 23:35

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Gotta say I'm delighted with Allstate .

They have accident forgiveness. I guess they must have forgave the deer.
Posted on: 2010/9/3 23:44

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
In the wild, animals do what an animal has to do. When people live among the animals (not the kind in the cities), you are on their turf. They just do what they're hard wired to do.

Well said, Granger, In. was all farm land 30 years ago, with all the kritters that went with the landscape. When I built our house 25 yrs ago it was not unusally to have deer grazing in my back yard, hawks,fox, gophers,and at night lots of coyotes. The lake behind our house had ducks geese and big bass. We still have a crop dusting air strip about a mile away, great for testing the 1/4 mile.
Posted on: 2010/9/3 23:46

Matatk Re: Friday Chat 09.03.10
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Hey Don, you're a funny guy! I'll post pictures tomorrow.

I just watched "Better Off Dead" with John Cusack. I love 80s movies. I ordered that one off the internet this week so I was stoked to watch it. Had a few pops and I'm ready for bed. Work tomorrow...ugh.

Hope everyone is having a safe Friday night!

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/9/4 2:20

vetteblondie Re: Friday Chat 09.03.10
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

Happy Holiday weekend everyone!
Hope you all have fun plans this weekend. I'm still recovering from my Ohio trip last week. And ended up with a bit of a cold since I've been home. Hopefully it will be gone magically when I get up tomorrow.....
Posted on: 2010/9/4 2:24

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

BTW, Don, I'm off for the whole month of October so I'm coming to your house for a weekend and I'm gonna eat everything out of your fridge and drink all of your scotch.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/9/4 2:28

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:
Hope you all have fun plans this weekend. I'm still recovering from my Ohio trip last week. And ended up with a bit of a cold since I've been home. Hopefully it will be gone magically when I get up tomorrow.....

Sorry you're sick, VB. I've got some "medicine" here...two little swigs will do ya.
Posted on: 2010/9/4 2:29

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:

Sorry you're sick, VB. I've got some "medicine" here...two little swigs will do ya.

I've got some medicine here for you too but unfortunatley it would only last about 10 minutes. Hope you feel better soon.

Matt has posted an exercise video on HCF. Maybe you should try it . LOL
Posted on: 2010/9/4 11:32

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:

I've got some medicine here for you too but unfortunatley it would only last about 10 minutes. Hope you feel better soon.

You're gonna get yourself in trouble, Thomas. LOL.
Posted on: 2010/9/4 11:42

biggrizzly Re: Friday Chat 09.03.10
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
BTW, Don, I'm off for the whole month of October so I'm coming to your house for a weekend and I'm gonna eat everything out of your fridge and drink all of your scotch.

Matthew

C'mon! Your welcome to it. I have lots of Rum and drinks I shouldn't have layin' around. You know I wasn't makin' fun of your skeeter bites, don't you?

You guys can come hang here any time you like!! I might even have some cool Corvette event going on when you arrive.

Hope your itches get better soon.
Posted on: 2010/9/4 19:33

vetteblondie Re: Friday Chat 09.03.10
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:

Yep the cold was 'magically' gone, I had some of the 'medicine' - fresh stash of bourbon, and that made me feel good enough to try the exercise video... results of that will not be posted
HA!

Hope you all had a great holiday weekend and a good day off later today
Posted on: 2010/9/6 7:22

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.