Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
317 user(s) are online (276 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Ruby
Refers to 1993 Anniversary Editions.

These are the actual cars honored as anniversary cars. They have RPO Z25 to prove it....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

skirlin Truck brake rotors price difference?
Senior Guru
Caledonia Michigan
277 Posts

This could also cover all rotor purchases as well. I have a 1996 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab 4x4. I just bought it and it seems like the front rotors are warped, pedal pulses. Advanced Auto has two rotors available, one for $25.49 and the other for $59.99. Is cheap cheap? I can't seem to find any other difference besides price, is there something else? Your experience is greatly needed, Thanks.
Posted on: 2010/10/4 0:34

Ultraman Re: Truck brake rotors price difference?
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14737 Posts

Cheap is usually cheap. I wonder how much it would cost to have yours turned? Something has to be different and they should know what it is. Recently I bought an alternater for my 90, one was priced cheap and the other more. I asked the difference and the cheap one had only the parts replaced that needed fixed the other one had all the stuff new. I paid for the one with all the parts new.

I think you should shop a few more places and see what else is out there to compare.
Posted on: 2010/10/4 1:21

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

vis_croceus Re: Truck brake rotors price difference?
Senior Guru
VA
260 Posts

Up until the last ~5 years, I always found that a rotor was a rotor. Always bought the cheapest available and they worked great.

But nowadays the cheap ones are just plain junk. Went through several sets on a couple of cars and gave up and started buying more expensive stuff made in Europe or Australia instead of Asia.

Check what tirerack has - they carry better brake stuff than the generic parts stores.
Posted on: 2010/10/4 3:34

383tpimachine Re: Truck brake rotors price difference?
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

materials are likely very different. What is the component that is higher in the quality names? I want to say zinc for some reason
Posted on: 2010/10/4 4:11

BillH Re: Truck brake rotors price difference?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

skirlin wrote:
This could also cover all rotor purchases as well. I have a 1996 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab 4x4. I just bought it and it seems like the front rotors are warped, pedal pulses. Advanced Auto has two rotors available, one for $25.49 and the other for $59.99. Is cheap cheap? I can't seem to find any other difference besides price, is there something else? Your experience is greatly needed, Thanks.

When does the pedal pulse,Dave? Under normal harder braking or just when you're coming to a stop under light braking?

My 2000 Silverado does it but only under light braking. And it's not warped rotors.

You can check them easily with a dial indicator, if you don't have one, you can do a quick check by removing the wheel, clamp a ruler (or anything, piece of tubing, flat steel,etc.) to a jack stand or something so that the metal just touches the rotor surface and spin the rotor by hand to see if there's any warpage. If there isn't much, like .003in., the rotor's OK.

I totally ignore this on my p/u and it has 135k on the rotors.

If your's are warped, the $29 Chinese are not worth the $$$ savings.

If you do put on new ones, they need to be bedded properly to avoid the "phantom pulsing" caused by differences in the layer height of brake pad material deposited on the rotors by the brake pads.
Posted on: 2010/10/4 14:15

rklessdriver Re: Truck brake rotors price difference?
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

I totally agree.... The $29.00 CHINA rotors are JUNK.

For "house brand" brake rotors I have had the best luck out of NAPA. There rotors have been great on the Mustang, step sons Accord and our Cherokee. The one's I've used from NAPA in the past 3 yrs say "Made in Canada".

For something that's going to tow something heavy I would only use Bendix rotors. They are best OE replacement rotors availiable. I have them on my 92 and they have been great.

Now if we get out of OE replacement rotors I have had great results with Power Slot rotors on a Cavalier I raced back in the day. That car would burn up any other rotors in a heartbeat with aggressive pads.
Will
Posted on: 2010/10/4 16:16

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

CentralCoaster Re: Truck brake rotors price difference?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Pulsing pedal? Happens even on good brakes. Try scuffing them and breaking them in properly.

Cheap vented rotors can warp when hot if they have core shift, but otherwise I doubt that's what's happening.
Posted on: 2010/10/4 20:07

pr0zac Re: Truck brake rotors price difference?
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

for the most part the cheap ones are like 90 day or one year and the next step up in the same brand is a lifetime warranty. i dont normally do a whole lot of rotors for people cause most are just too cheap but i have gotten a few of the cheapest ones from advance and not had any callbacks.
Posted on: 2010/10/4 22:06

Mekanic Re: Truck brake rotors price difference?
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

quality of the steel mang.
Posted on: 2010/10/4 22:09

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

RickAnthony Re: Truck brake rotors price difference?
ASE Master Certified
Downers Grove, IL
703 Posts

Funny thing about rotors, sometimes we get 2 different rotors same part number same manufacturer.. thats how quality control is.. both may have same diameter ect, but the vents will be different, and the material thicker or thinner though that have the same surface to surface dimension..

Stay away from Chinese rotors, try to stick with US, Canada Europe, Austrailia ect..

-=Rick
Posted on: 2010/10/6 1:30
RickAnthonyMotorsports.NET

VetteMed Re: Truck brake rotors price difference?
Guru Newb
Alachua, FL
37 Posts

I just put a set of Wagner rotors on my 97 GMC K1500. I had read reviews online seeming to indicate that they were US-made, but when they arrived, they were Chinese. However, I was in a time crunch and really didn't have the luxury of returning them and starting over. I have to say, they look to be a decent piece, not just cast but also machined on some surfaces. Been running on them for around a thousand miles so far, and no complaints. Lifetime warranty on em through advance auto.
Posted on: 2010/10/29 2:09

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.