Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
246 user(s) are online (214 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Matatk Tuesday Chat 06.28.11
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Had a busy night last night. Got home and cut the grass, ate dinner, started to replace the hoses on the washer. Got them off after fighting with them and find out the ball valves are bad. Three stores later have the ball valves, get those installed, an old piece drops down the discharge pipe. End up cutting the wall and the pipe to fish it out of the p-trap Small projects, huh! My wife doesn't understand how these things snowball.

I haven't had a chance to read any posts in about two days. I'll try to catch up soon.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/6/28 11:35

Ultraman Re: Tuesday Chat 06.28.11
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

Always something needs fixing Matt.......speaking of your car.......how is that going?

Aaaaaaaa it's BIG TUESDAY, I am already behind and I haven't even started yet. At least the hot weather is not supposed to get here until later in the week. Looks like a hot 4th of July.....that's the way its supposed to be.

Got to get going, check back when I can, let's roll Guru's, its all good!
Posted on: 2011/6/28 12:09

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Tuesday Chat 06.28.11
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Greetings! Nice day today, looks like it will be warming up here, too. The Vette is sitting in the garage - it still isn't right, no fun to drive. I need a magic wand, no time to dick around with it.

Enjoy your day, everyone!
Posted on: 2011/6/28 12:21

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Huskerland
14746 Posts

How about a little Santana to get things going!

Posted on: 2011/6/28 12:24

Huskerland
14746 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Greetings! Nice day today, looks like it will be warming up here, too. The Vette is sitting in the garage - it still isn't right, no fun to drive. I need a magic wand, no time to dick around with it.

Brad maybe its time for a professional opinion. Got anybody up there thats a good Vette wrench? Or a good C6 salesman.........
Posted on: 2011/6/28 12:28

BillH Re: Tuesday Chat 06.28.11
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I finally got the downstairs cleaned up yesterday, all the kitchen remodle crap's gone. Drug out the carpet machine and did the carpets.
I had painted all the walls, filled in the nail holes.
Now, I decided to put the pictures and racing wall placks (trophies) back up around the bar. So I got 50 pics/placks to hang today.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 12:57

biggrizzly Re: Tuesday Chat 06.28.11
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Good Morning Gurus

Another nice day today. Too bad I'll be inside most of it. Tonight is "Shop Night" for my club. We meet at the dealership from 6PM-9PM for some light maintenance. They let us use the lifts to change oil and other stuff that only takes a few hours. Bring your own tools and leave the place as you left it. When we started this three years ago, a lot of the guys in the shop were not happy about turning over their lifts and spaces to a bunch of Corvette Cowboys even if only for three hours per month. Three years later we have developed a good rapport with most of the mechanics and even have a couple of the young guys that are learning to be Corvette mechanics that help out with stuff that some of our members have a hard time with... like brake changes and bleeding. For some, its difficult to get some tasks done in a three hour window and these guys help out... on their own time I might add. Anyhow... I hope my ride works later today when I top off the trans fluid and take it for a test drive. If so... I may drive it to shop night tonight!! We will see.

I spent a few hours yesterday laying on my back with transmission fluid dripping in my face while I changed out a pressure switch on the valve body. Tons of fun since I was lazy and only jacked the car up high enough to squeeze my big belly under there. Plus to make matters worse, I had to drop the exhaust to get the pan off. Frickin' cars! I should go back to wrenching bicycles.

So Brad.... I can't remember what was going on with your car, what's the deal? Can we help?

Cheers
Posted on: 2011/6/28 13:09

95Vert Re: Tuesday Chat 06.28.11
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Good morning and I sure don't know how I have time to go to work with all these car issues that need to be attended to!!You guys sound like you're in the same boat. Don, that car is just low, that's all there is to it. Ever think about buying a lift??

Sometimes I just wonder about my priorities in life ;)

I did get up early this morning to put the final coat of clearcoat on some 04 Mustang Cobra mirrors (folding, color keyed) for my 02 Mustang. These are fairly difficult to find and command a high price on eBay. I got some from a salvage yard in Mississippi. Painting is another skill I'd like to learn. Much sanding, resanding, painting and then of course some of the paint starts lifting and peeling. Ugh, but I now have them hung up, drying.

Waiting for the western Corvette salvage places to open to order my used eBrake. I'll try Jason at Vette2Vette first though.

Ralf
Posted on: 2011/6/28 13:42

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95Vert wrote:
Much sanding, resanding, painting and then of course some of the paint starts lifting and peeling. Ugh, but I now have them hung up, drying.
Ralf

Small spots lifting?

On body parts like the mirrors, wash the parts with Dawn dish liquid or Simple Green B4 sanding.

Then wet sand with a squirt of Dawn in the water. Use hot water to rinse.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 13:47

teebee Re: Tuesday Chat 06.28.11
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12368 Posts

Morning guys....Not much going on right now. I had a load of wood and plywood delivered to the shop. Now I just need to get it on the shelves so I can start on a couple of projects.

Matt, I know how those things can snowball. Just pizzes me off when things like that happen.

Don, that really a great thing for the dealership to do. I doubt any dealership out here would even consider something like that. But I would think that it would be a win-win situation for them. And it's cool that some of the mechanics hang around.

Bill, someday you're going to get it all done.....I think.

Brad what exactly is going on with your car?

Ralf, painting is an art, don't let anyone tell you different.

It really nice this morning and supposed to stay that way through the morning. This afternoon the wind switches around to the south and then here comes the heat. Going to be hot the next several days, predicting 108-114. Dry heat or not, that's HOT.

Stay cool guys
Posted on: 2011/6/28 13:58

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

JeffK Re: Tuesday Chat 06.28.11
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

I feel your pain. I haven't even looked at mine. I avert my eyes when I walk past it in the morning.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 14:13

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Hadn't thought about using Dawn liquid but it makes sense. Zaino has you doing it to remove all contaminants from the body prior to their waxing process.

Agreed, painting is definitely an art!!! Wish I could get good at it. I'm impatient so hanging these parts to dry is very difficult for me. I'll want to get on to the next step and have to actually do something else to take my mind off it or else I'll screw it up.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 14:44

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95Vert wrote:

Agreed, painting is definitely an art!!! Wish I could get good at it. I'm impatient so hanging these parts to dry is very difficult for me. I'll want to get on to the next step and have to actually do something else to take my mind off it or else I'll screw it up.

Ya gotta be patient. Some paint takes days & days.

Attach file:

jpg  Helmit.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2011/6/28 14:50

TommyT-Bone Re: Tuesday Chat 06.28.11
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

And then you scuff it.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 15:16

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Waiting patiently for word from the selling banks' response. Was up at 05:30. Had to make a delivery up in Hollywood Fl. about a 1 hr and 20 min drive. Came back to Homestead and it's rainy and dreary. Good napping weather though. Thursday we're supposed to go finish the school where I get to cut some more pavers. Nope, that job isn't done yet. We needed to wait for them to say they were finished fixing the pipe I cut into. We could have had an outside plumber come in and do the job in about 2 hours. Involve the school board repair staff and county public works and you have multiple levels of standing around, discussing, planning, attempting, checking, inspecting, approving, etc. Just get someone to repair the friggin pipe already. The buyer for the movie sets has flown in. He's coming by to pick some material for their next set. Hope he needs lots of stuff. Alrighty then. Everybody have a productive day. I'm gonna see what I can do about laying down some zzzzzzzzs
Posted on: 2011/6/28 15:32

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

And then you scuff it.

Ah....yea. That one has some scuffs from climbing into Miatas with full roll cages.

But I scuffed this one the hard way. I was upside down, the helmit was perfect, until my head hit the asphalt.

Attach file:

jpg  2006-04-10 15-11-51_0001.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2011/6/28 15:35

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Better the helmet than your head. A scrape like that could really screw up a nice haircut.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 15:39

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

That's what you get for dealing with the feds...or state guys, Tommy!

Bill, thought you detested Miata's???
Posted on: 2011/6/28 16:33

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:

There is still some kind of vibration in the engine.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 17:50

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

4543 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Quote:

teebee wrote:

There is still some kind of vibration in the engine.

Silly question Brad.... But are you sure that when you worked on the exhaust system that no part of the exhaust system is vibrating on itself or against the car?

Last night I hastily bolted my exhaust system back up just to test the transmission and one of the pipes is resting on the fiberglass tunnel and it is causing a vibration that is set up from the engine to the body. Feels awful.

Just a thought
Posted on: 2011/6/28 18:02

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Good thought, Don, but I am pretty sure that's not the case. At one point my exhaust was rubbing on my cross-frame, and made quite a racket. But I've since re-adjusted it, and the cross-frame isn't installed at the moment. Worth another look, but it sure doesn't feel exhaust-related.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 18:11

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Well I'm up from my nap. Now only another hour or two till I recover from that. 1 hour nap plus two hours too wake up from it.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 18:17

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I'm really slightly disturbed by the fact that we are here on the ultimate Corvette site on the information highway and so many Vettes have gremlins running amok and wreaking havoc. Really, there has to be a good professional that can properly diagnose the ailments in question. It's one thing to do your own repairs and modifications but at some point you should enlist the aid of a pro if you can't find it yourself. I know it's a hobby but damn, I can only handle so much before I bring in an expert. I know some of you have been using pro help all along from a distance but there is something to be said for hands on.

/ deflector shields up.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 18:24

4543 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
I'm really slightly disturbed by the fact that we are here on the ultimate Corvette site on the information highway and so many Vettes have gremlins running amok and wreaking havoc. Really, there has to be a good professional that can properly diagnose the ailments in question. It's one thing to do your own repairs and modifications but at some point you should enlist the aid of a pro if you can't find it yourself. I know it's a hobby but damn, I can only handle so much before I bring in an expert. I know some of you have been using pro help all along from a distance but there is something to be said for hands on.

/ deflector shields up.

No deflector shield needed! I'm ready to call in the Guard! However, I do think I solved my shifting problem although it still feels a little weird, but crap the car is loud as shit and now I have an exhaust tube from the collector rubbing on the body with no clearance causing induced vibration from the motor. I guess I didn't shove the pipe up over the collector far enough.... I want it fixed now!!!

"I feel pretty... I feel witty... I feel.. "
LOL --- Oh thanks Tommy! Now that stupid tune is in my head!
Posted on: 2011/6/28 18:41

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12368 Posts

Brad, has it done this since the rebuild or did it start sometime afterward? Seems like you took the Vette on an extended trip last summer....did it happen after that?
Posted on: 2011/6/28 18:55

Resized Image

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

/ deflector shields up.

Experts? We don't need no stinkin' experts.

Attach file:

jpg  badges.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2011/6/28 19:06

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Better the helmet than your head. A scrape like that could really screw up a nice haircut.

It screwed up a $450 helmit. SCCA Tech pulled the SA2000 sticker out of the inside.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 19:08

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95Vert wrote:

Bill, thought you detested Miata's???

Only the motors, Mazda could have put a decent motor in there.

And the handling can be way improved from stock (just like a C4 ).

Plus the only ones I've been in had a rollcage to scratch your helmit on.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 19:11

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I looked online at the home listings. It's showing "off market" as of yesterday. That's a good thing.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 20:09

4543 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
I looked online at the home listings. It's showing "off market" as of yesterday. That's a good thing.

Cross your fingers!
Posted on: 2011/6/28 20:53

vetteblondie Re: Tuesday Chat 06.28.11
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4652 Posts

Quote:

JeffK wrote:
Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

I feel your pain. I haven't even looked at mine. I avert my eyes when I walk past it in the morning.

My little cantankerous teenager beotch has all her guts strewn about right now and I really am in no mood to put it all back together. Way behind on too much other crap and not been sleeping.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 20:54

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

Posted on: 2011/6/28 20:57

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Brad, has it done this since the rebuild or did it start sometime afterward? Seems like you took the Vette on an extended trip last summer....did it happen after that?

It really hasn't been quite right since it was put back together. Maybe I'll take it up to Doug Rippe's shop sometime - I'd imagine they wouldn't have time to look at it until fall, and I've been spending money like water lately, anyway.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 21:18

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Speaking of spending like water. My wife got a survey from the Forestry Service for a recent job she did for them. It wants to know if the Obama Stimulus Package money they spent resulted in us adding any new employees.

(x) no
Posted on: 2011/6/28 21:45

SpectatorRacing Re: Tuesday Chat 06.28.11
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

My little cantankerous teenager beotch has all her guts strewn about right now and I really am in no mood to put it all back together.

That's the best C4 descroption I've heard in a long time. Sheez, mine's almost 18, she'll be wanting to move out of the house soon with her boyfriend the blue C6. He just sits in the driveway and stares at her ass all day.
Posted on: 2011/6/28 22:10

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12368 Posts

It is actually RAINING! Yeeeeeha.
Posted on: 2011/6/29 1:23

Resized Image

Matatk Re: Tuesday Chat 06.28.11
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Always something needs fixing Matt.......speaking of your car.......how is that going?

Still not fixed. I have to order my composite gear and check the cam gear for damage and cam for endplay. And an oil change. And pick up a magnetic drain plug...hell, a giant magnet to stick to the pan.

Fixed the pvc I had to cut yesterday, that was easy. Went to change the o-rings on the washer lines to the filter style and they wouldn't fit, sprayed water all over the laundry room....figures. Damn thing. Wife went to dinner with her cousin and left the rugrats to me. They've been washed up, got their milk, and have been sleeping for the past half hour or so. Bedtime for me soon, too.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/6/29 2:38

JeffK Re: Tuesday Chat 06.28.11
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

I'd love to take mine to a professional to get it functioning properly, I just haven't found one. Took it to a "Corvette Specialist" and he charged me $600 to basically change a heater hose, service the trans, and replace u-joints in one outer driveshaft. Transmission still leaks at the pan because half the bolts were loose and I haven't felt like dropping it yet, driveshaft still needs u-joints even though he said it didn't (I can hear them binding a little if I roll it with engine off).
Posted on: 2011/6/29 18:43

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.