Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
176 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

TommyT-Bone, more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

biggrizzly 383 LT1, Long Tube Headers, Cats. Factory Resonator, No Mufflers
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Well, they had to come off anyway. The sound without mufflers is not livable under load. Sitting at idle and revving it up sounds awesome. But.... under load the drone reminds me of when I drove it once with open headers. It really drones horribly. So, I'm not sure which way I plan to go when replacing these Magnaflows.

Here's a shot of the rusted out broken hanger mounts. These mufflers have less than 5,000 miles and the car is in the garage at all times if not being driven.

Attach file:

jpg  magnaflow_crap.jpg (155.21 KB)
342_51f069a3f03a6.jpg 1024X768 px
Posted on: 2013/7/24 23:58
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Ultraman Re: 383 LT1, Long Tube Headers, Cats. Factory Resonator, No Mufflers
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14790 Posts

I'd be bitching at Magnaflow about some replacements......
Posted on: 2013/7/25 0:24

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

biggrizzly Re: 383 LT1, Long Tube Headers, Cats. Factory Resonator, No Mufflers
4543 Posts

Oh absolutely. I plan to take it to a shop I just found near my home that has a good reputation and they are a huge Magnaflow reseller. My problem is that I'm not sure I want to put them back on.
Posted on: 2013/7/25 0:39

Matatk Re: 383 LT1, Long Tube Headers, Cats. Factory Resonator, No Mufflers
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22811 Posts

When Rick's magnaflows snapped like that they gave him a headache about getting them replaced, stating he had to go through the original vendor. That vendor was an internet seller that had closed, he had no recourse. He ended up getting it welded at a shop as far as I recall. I think it's less headache in the end.
Posted on: 2013/7/25 1:42

TommyT-Bone Re: 383 LT1, Long Tube Headers, Cats. Factory Resonator, No Mufflers
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33808 Posts

I went to my local custom muffler shop and they repaired and rehung hung them. They've been up for more than a couple of years now. Don't ask me how but someone who knows metal has a fix.
Posted on: 2013/7/25 1:53

BrianCunningham Re: 383 LT1, Long Tube Headers, Cats. Factory Resonator, No Mufflers
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

ouch WTF

Nice sound from my B&B's if you're looking for a recommendation

Posted on: 2013/7/25 16:28

4543 Posts

Recorded the exhaust music tonight. I really wish I could keep this sound without the mid-range drone.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 1:39

bogus Re: 383 LT1, Long Tube Headers, Cats. Factory Resonator, No Mufflers
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

I have said it before and I will say it again... CORSA.

No drone.

None.

Nada.

Zippo.
Posted on: 2013/7/26 3:32

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

4543 Posts

You're getting to me Andy!! I need to save the coin.
Posted on: 2013/7/26 14:33

Scott7 Re: 383 LT1, Long Tube Headers, Cats. Factory Resonator, No Mufflers
Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

You are sounding just about like mine does. Headers to bullet cats and basically straight out. Gets loud huh
Posted on: 2013/7/26 16:01

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22811 Posts

383 with headers and no cats is why I put the lt4 exhaust on mine. I love the sound with the factory resonator and mufflers. It is not obnoxious and does not drone. The extra cubes and healthy cam along with the headers are what give it the muscle sound.
Posted on: 2013/7/27 0:52

Schrade Re: 383 LT1, Long Tube Headers, Cats. Factory Resonator, No Mufflers
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

What did you do there Don, with your original exhaust?

Believe it or not, the Z expert (Marc H), has informed me (and shown) that LT1 pipes are better than my OEM '90 (only) Z pipes...

Seems the resonator opening is larger, which is the flow bottleneck on '90 Z.
Posted on: 2013/7/28 0:55

Resized Image

4543 Posts

What you are listening to is this configuration:

EM Longtube headers that dump into a pair of random tech cats. The cats flow into the stock LT1 resonator and that's it. For now.

I have two "like new" factory original LT1 mufflers and hangers I'm considering putting back on. this would give me essentially the same exhaust system Matt has on his.

At the moment everything has to do with economics. If it were a different time I might be inclined to drop some coin on a Corsa system.
Posted on: 2013/7/28 2:45

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

Yup... priorities are just that...

You may want to reach out to Vette2Vette and see if he has a used Corsa system available.
Posted on: 2013/7/28 4:12

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22811 Posts

I would put the LT1 muffler on for now...cost is always a factor, they are good quality, and enjoyable to drive with. Corsa is too expensive imho.
Posted on: 2013/7/28 14:23

rklessdriver Re: 383 LT1, Long Tube Headers, Cats. Factory Resonator, No Mufflers
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

The factory LTX systems will not hurt performance on any normally aspriated street engine... I proved that with 93 ragtops car. We even swapped his car to a Magnaflow axle back and it didnt pick up anything except noise.

The Corsa is great for looks and quality... however once you put a pretty serious engine infront of a Corsa, it gets VERY LOUD under acceleration. It can also be really loud at idle depenging on engine speed. My 92 is just obnoxious in this reguard. I will give credit where its due thou. My 92 is totally quiet inside at hwy speeds. We drove it to Carlisle a few yrs ago and even enjoyed the ride.

Just my opinion but stock or Corsa exhaust are the only way to go with a modified C4.
Will
Posted on: 2013/7/28 18:20

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

Will,

I agree. My friend Robert has a Flowmaster 40 setup on his otherwise stock 92 LT1 A4 coupe, and the car has this most annoying boom and drone... The idle sounds good, but it ends up with this boom that just kills me.

The stock LT1 may drone at highway speeds (and I am rather sensitive to said drone), but it's not that bad. The Corsa kills the drone completely.

What I have noticed is that above 2500 RPM, it gets louder, but still no drone, just roar.

The LT1 stock system gets louder, still quiet but no drone.

I had an open pipe elim kit on, and the boom from that was killer bad. I then put on resonator tips that helped a TON, but were still too boomy.

That's when I went Corsa. And didn't regret the move one bit.
Posted on: 2013/7/28 21:10

4543 Posts

I just got out from under the Vette to check on some things for the exhaust system and decided I was going to fix a long standign exhaust leak at the header collector myself prior to taking it in for the muffler replacements. I could see carbon tracing on the collector from exhaust gasses escaping from under the exhaust strap clamp that secures the "slip fit" extension pipes over the header collector.

So I remove the clamp and find out that the dumb ass that installed it last, attempted to make a "butt fit" between the collector and the extension by flattening one side of the expanded extension end and butting the two pipes up together. Ah... didn't it dawn on him that they were different diameters for a reason!!! No wonder it always had a frickin' leak. I suppose the driver side is just like it. What a frickin' idiot. I was a bigger idiot for taking the car to this nutjob in the first place just to shave a couple bucks. My life story.

I don't have the energy to pull this exhaust system down tonight and fix this right. Really pisses me off that I have been driving around for a year listening to this exhaust leak thinking there was nothing I could easily do about it.

I'm probably just going to take it to another shop that was recommended by some guys in a local hot rod club. They said the shop did really good work and wouldn't rape me. I checked them out on Angie's List and they have an A+ rating with about 25 positive reviews.

You would think with a big Corvette club at my resources I could find a reputable shop that does good work without soaking me.
Posted on: 2013/7/29 23:44

BrianCunningham Re: 383 LT1, Long Tube Headers, Cats. Factory Resonator, No Mufflers
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

should definitely help with the sound
Posted on: 2013/7/30 12:48

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:

I just got out from under the Vette to check on some things for the exhaust system and decided I was going to fix a long standign exhaust leak at the header collector myself prior to taking it in for the muffler replacements. I could see carbon tracing on the collector from exhaust gasses escaping from under the exhaust strap clamp that secures the "slip fit" extension pipes over the header collector.

So I remove the clamp and find out that the dumb ass that installed it last, attempted to make a "butt fit" between the collector and the extension by flattening one side of the expanded extension end and butting the two pipes up together. Ah... didn't it dawn on him that they were different diameters for a reason!!! No wonder it always had a frickin' leak. I suppose the driver side is just like it. What a frickin' idiot. I was a bigger idiot for taking the car to this nutjob in the first place just to shave a couple bucks. My life story.

I don't have the energy to pull this exhaust system down tonight and fix this right. Really pisses me off that I have been driving around for a year listening to this exhaust leak thinking there was nothing I could easily do about it.

I'm probably just going to take it to another shop that was recommended by some guys in a local hot rod club. They said the shop did really good work and wouldn't rape me. I checked them out on Angie's List and they have an A+ rating with about 25 positive reviews.

You would think with a big Corvette club at my resources I could find a reputable shop that does good work without soaking me.

I have found that most Corvette club members are old and prefer their cars OEM stock... So they suggest the dealer.

I am glad you have found a good shop to take it to. I am betting that leak added to the noise.

I had a huge resonance on my system a few years back. Found it was the weld on the inner to outer pipes on the Corsa resonator had failed! They replaced under warranty with no questions. I shipped a pic, they shipped a new part, I shipped old part, with their label. I was only out 90 minutes labour.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 22:14

4543 Posts

Well, I just got home from the exhaust shop after having the factory mufflers re-installed. I quickly made a couple observations which I'll note below. First off, I'd like to applaud Maryland Muffler in Millersville, MD for performing a great job of installation. The job was done both qucikly and for a reasonable amount of money; $250. I did supply all the parts but they removed the entire system and re-fitted all the pieces to ensure its integrity. I wanted a solid system and they provided that.

However, the factory mufflers in conjunction with the factory resonator is too quiet in my opinion. It still sounds pretty good from behind the car but in the cockpit I can barely hear anything. Maybe I just need to get accustomed to it, as I have been blasted by the other system for so long. My wife and mother will love it for sure! I think I have lost a couple punches on my "Man Card" for this muffler swap.

Although.... I hate to admit it, I think the square box tips of the factory LT1 mufflers really look like they belong hanging from that bumper compared to the dual tip Magnaflows I had before.

I'll continue to drive it this way for a while to see how I like it, but will be saving my coin for a Corsa system perhaps in the fall or next spring.

Overall I'm happy with the change! It's solid and you can still tell there is something non-factory under the hood.
Posted on: 2013/7/31 22:57

1Fast04Vert Re: 383 LT1, Long Tube Headers, Cats. Factory Resonator, No Mufflers
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Look into the OBX mufflers. Good quality and sound at a very good price.
Posted on: 2013/7/31 23:45

rklessdriver Re: 383 LT1, Long Tube Headers, Cats. Factory Resonator, No Mufflers
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Well, I just got home from the exhaust shop after having the factory mufflers re-installed. I quickly made a couple observations which I'll note below. First off, I'd like to applaud Maryland Muffler in Millersville, MD for performing a great job of installation. The job was done both qucikly and for a reasonable amount of money; $250. I did supply all the parts but they removed the entire system and re-fitted all the pieces to ensure its integrity. I wanted a solid system and they provided that.

However, the factory mufflers in conjunction with the factory resonator is too quiet in my opinion. It still sounds pretty good from behind the car but in the cockpit I can barely hear anything. Maybe I just need to get accustomed to it, as I have been blasted by the other system for so long. My wife and mother will love it for sure! I think I have lost a couple punches on my "Man Card" for this muffler swap.

Although.... I hate to admit it, I think the square box tips of the factory LT1 mufflers really look like they belong hanging from that bumper compared to the dual tip Magnaflows I had before.

I'll continue to drive it this way for a while to see how I like it, but will be saving my coin for a Corsa system perhaps in the fall or next spring.

Overall I'm happy with the change! It's solid and you can still tell there is something non-factory under the hood.

Glad you got it fixed.

No loss of man card for a fast and quiet car... thats called a sleeper man.

I like to give props for that kind of stuff.

Give yourself some time to adjust to the sound.
Will
Posted on: 2013/8/1 0:13

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:

cool.

Now, get the hatch vent from the corvette gadget man and you are back in to audio heaven.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 0:25

teebee Re: 383 LT1, Long Tube Headers, Cats. Factory Resonator, No Mufflers
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12392 Posts

Don, your car sounds pretty healthy. Corsa, as I have said before, is quality stuff. Not cheap, but quality.
Posted on: 2013/8/1 0:28

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

4543 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:

cool.

Now, get the hatch vent from the corvette gadget man and you are back in to audio heaven.

I've had a hatch vent for a long time but don't think that will make the exhaust note any louder! I think I'll survive!! :-)
Posted on: 2013/8/1 0:50

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22811 Posts

You will grow to love the quiet interior and throaty exterior sound. I think you made a good choice.
Posted on: 2013/8/1 1:37

BillH Re: 383 LT1, Long Tube Headers, Cats. Factory Resonator, No Mufflers
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Ah, you guys and your mufflers.
Posted on: 2013/8/1 2:06

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22811 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Ah, you guys and your mufflers.

Yeah, when you get as old as Bill, you can't hear the exhaust anyway
Posted on: 2013/8/1 3:06

TommyT-Bone Re: 383 LT1, Long Tube Headers, Cats. Factory Resonator, No Mufflers
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33808 Posts

My 90 has stock mufflers and I find it a pleasure to drive. No drone. I can hear a slight rumbling as I listen to all the different sounds of the car. Then I flick a switch and tune into a few blasts from the past. It's all good man ..... It's all good.
Posted on: 2013/8/1 4:02

4543 Posts

Plain Jane again!

Attach file:

jpg  exhaust01.jpg (97.17 KB)
342_51fa7191c3ce8.jpg 1024X577 px
Posted on: 2013/8/1 14:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.