Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
315 user(s) are online (268 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SBC
This stands for Small Block Chevrolet. The engine debuted in 1955 and remained largely unchanged until 1986. The initials are still used today to d...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

runner140 nine eleven......
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

Most of us will never foreget this day and where we were when we heard the news of The World Trade Certer, the Pentagon and the crash in Pa.

I was at work, and within minutes, the entire office was in my office looking for an answer. There was none.

Where were you guys and gals...that moment?
Posted on: 2008/9/11 11:47

Trae1976 Re: nine eleven......
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

I was also at work - in a meeting in my boss's office, when a coworker come in and informed us the towers had been hit. Spent the rest of the morning watching news coverage. Went to another coworker's house for a long lunch, and watched more news coverage. Went back to work, but accomplished nothing.

No chance of forgetting that - just an unbelievable feeling.
Posted on: 2008/9/11 12:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: nine eleven......
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I was at work, and they had just started getting some sketchy reports on the radio when my wife called. I went down to the lobby with some other folks and watched on TV as the second plane hit. The only other event I can recall that was anything quite as surreal was the Kennedy assassination. No words can adequately describe it.

http://bradprestonmusic.com/Photos/z11sept2001.pps
Posted on: 2008/9/11 12:28

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

bogus Re: nine eleven......
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I was on my way to work. Was on the phone with my brother in FL when the word of the first plane hitting the WTC started to trickle in. That was 0845.

By 0900, my local rock station was simulcasting CNN news. I got to work just as the Pentagon was hit. Then the buildings collapsed. One of my co-workers used to work in a law firm in there. She was about beyond consoling, really. Finally, we were sent home at noon as a security measure. More realistically, we were sent home because it was just such a traumatic experience.

To be honest, the week is a bit of a blur. My brother was scheduled for brain surgery on the 13th. The surgery failed and he died five years ago May.
Posted on: 2008/9/11 14:42

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

CentralCoaster Re: nine eleven......
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

runner140 wrote:
Where were you guys and gals...that moment?

In college. I woke up, got up and saw my roommate watching tv, these two buildings billowing smoke on the news. First I was wondering what movie he was watching as I hadn't seen it before.

Then I realized it was no movie at all.
Posted on: 2008/9/11 15:22

TommyT-Bone Re: nine eleven......
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

In my kitchen drinking coffee watching it live, when the second plane slammed in. Major league WTF.
Posted on: 2008/9/11 16:08

CSS996 Re: nine eleven......
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I took my kids to daycare, and when I got there, my provider told me a plane just hit the world trade center. I figured it was a private plane.

Dropped off the kids, and drove to work.

By the time I got there, all hell was breaking loose in NY. The whole office spent the day just watching the TV.

The next couple days, I was on a retreat with the other video producers from my company. We were out in the woods, camping.

There were no planes in the sky. It was an extra bit of strangeness to an already strange time.

Very sad.
Posted on: 2008/9/11 16:27

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I was living in Dover at the time, so if anything, air traffic INCREASED for me...

We didn't have much commercial in Dover, so the AFB was it!

And the number of private planes in the air over Dover at any moment wasn't enough to cause me to notice they were not there. Road traffic was up, especially in Philly along the various freeways.

I did read where the air temps at Reagan National dropped 3* F over those three days. Most facinating.
Posted on: 2008/9/11 19:10

BrianCunningham Re: nine eleven......
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I guess the "other site" hasn't decided to revive the thread of the day.

I was on my way to work when the 1st plane hit.

That thread was the only way I could get any news, all the internet news websites where overwhelmed.
Posted on: 2008/9/11 19:25

Matatk Re: nine eleven......
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I was at work....watched the second plane hit the tower on tv. Very traumatic experience. Never forget that day.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/9/11 22:09

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I watched both towers go down on TV. Didn't see either happen in real time. Heard it on the radio, tho.

And Brian is right, the web was about useless. I was part of that big thread... and it's a shame they haven't brought it back. Figures that the new admin would be that stupid... or they kicked off all the old timers and no one is around to remember it.

Oh, wait, the search function is screwed, so they can't find it!
Posted on: 2008/9/12 2:39

Mr_Mojo Re: nine eleven......
Senior Guru
Lakewood,NJ
225 Posts

We were having a fire drill and as we were crossing the bridge into our parking lot, another driver was walking in and told us what happened.
We didn't believe it at first, but a few minutes later, I was on the road and heard about the second plane, and when I went to my stops, everyone had the news on, and some folks left work to go find out who in their family may have been involved.
One neighboring town where I deliver had close to 90% of it's working population in the World Trade Center. The local news yesterday said there were 166 people from Monmouth and Ocean counties who were killed in the WTC, but judging from what I saw, it appeared to be more.
There were a lot of cars still parked in the commuter lots. A sad sight indeed.
Posted on: 2008/9/12 11:43

BrianCunningham Re: nine eleven......
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/9/12 18:20

NC Kid Re: nine eleven......
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

7th grade social studies class.
Posted on: 2008/9/12 18:30

CentralCoaster Re: nine eleven......
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The memorial lights use 616,000 watts of power, which is equivalent to about an 800-hp engine!
Posted on: 2008/9/12 18:34

patgizz Re: nine eleven......
Senior Guru
Medina, OH
228 Posts

turned on TV- saw shortly after first plane hit. i was off work that day. knew the stern show was in NYC so i turned on howard and they stayed on the air all morning, listened to them while watching cnn and saw the 2nd plane hit. the plane that crashed in PA turned back east over cleveland so the local news was a little concerned.

my sister was off at college in DC at trinity and heard the plane that hit the pentagon fly over and felt the ground shake from the explosion. one of her friends lost her dad in the WTC. my best friend's dad was supposed to be on the plane that hit it out of boston but missed his flight, must have had his lucky underwear on that day.
Posted on: 2008/9/12 18:40

c4-zo7-91 Re: nine eleven......
Senior Guru
312 Posts

hi guys,
im sorry for your terrible loss on sept 11.
when i heard about it here in oz, every one who was driving in the morning at about 10 am had there car lights on as sign of respect,a real sad day!!
it was a real shock to see what went on.
god bless America and its alies and hope we can destroy those fuck ass muslim terroists!!
glen
Posted on: 2008/9/12 19:28

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.