Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
225 user(s) are online (177 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ALDL
Assembly Line Diagnostic Link

The cable you use to connect to a TECH 1 or a laptop computer for diagnosis and data logging purposes....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CorvetteBob We all need to see this
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

At this time, I don't happen to own a weapon, but I will own one sometime when I want one. I'm sure some of you guys
might have some, so here's a link to something we should see,

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=yTq2NEUlhDE
Posted on: 2009/1/28 23:20

pianoguy Re: We all need to see this
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Amen - that is insane!
Posted on: 2009/1/28 23:52

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BrianCunningham Re: We all need to see this
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

They want to BAN hunting?

WTF?
Posted on: 2009/1/28 23:54

red_johnny Re: We all need to see this
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

You want to know the scary part? I see this country following suit. Maybe not right now but its the slow things, baning high capacity mags, then semi autos, then pistols, then hunting.....where does it end?
Posted on: 2009/1/29 0:06

CorvetteBob Re: We all need to see this
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:
You want to know the scary part? I see this country following suit. Maybe not right now but its the slow things, baning high capacity mags, then semi autos, then pistols, then hunting.....where does it end?

I agree. They've even gone to the extreme of allowing certain weapons, but then they make it illegal to get the ammo.
Ohio has now had a concealed/carry law for several years.
I understand that there has been an actual reduction in crime since it began.
Posted on: 2009/1/29 0:50

BillH Re: We all need to see this
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Guess I'll start buying an extra box each time I get ammo.
Posted on: 2009/1/29 1:11

JrRifleCoach Re: We all need to see this
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Its a fact, and we are heading down the very same path.

Except some of us can't open our eyes wide enough to see the "O train a'comin'!.

And it is not about buying extra ammo. Its about voting, letting your voice be heard and writing your state and federal legislators. Join the NRA or other groups to help defend your Constitutional Freedoms. And don't let the law makers give your rights to those whom are not citizens.

Don't let them dilute our flag!!!!!!

Or forget what the cost of freedom is.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 2:37
As democracy is perfected, the POTUS represents more closely the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a fool and narcissistic moron.

bogus Re: We all need to see this
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I know some think we are heading that way, but the latest Supreme Court decision has pushed that back.

The bans in San Fran and Washington, DC have been lifted because of the decision (or they were supposed to be).

The fantasy that gun bans stop crime is just that - a fantasy. Essentially, you are unarming 94% of the population because of 6% that cause a problem. And that 6% will get them regardless. I suspect that the only nation without gun crimes is something like North Korea.... and you know how insular they are.

When VA, FL and TX passed carry laws several years ago, crime rates against persons dropped significantly. I remember when Delaware was trying to pass a law allowing carry permits... the DSP super said, something to the effect of "...now troopers will believe that all people are armed...", uh, ok. I would think a good cop is gonna believe that ANYONE can be armed at ANYTIME. And no amount of law banning ownership or possession will change that possibility.

A little know detail... the law here in CA that limited the size of magazines faded into obscurity a few months ago... It expired. No one did anything about it.

England and Japan have very strict gun laws. Japan, IIRC, has pretty low crime rates... then again, they are culturally conditioned to be somewhat submissive and, well, good. The Brits are a little more randy.

Other parts of the world have varying problems with guns... be it terrorists or just criminals...

The US was founded by the rule of the gun. We are embarrassed by that reality. So to make amends, we try to bury that bit and change it by outlawing them.

On a national level, it will never work. I suspect that we will see more attempts, but the far left have that problem of thinking they are smarter than us (they are not)* and the far right pretty much thinks the same way, really.

NYC is a place populated with 15 million victims... that's why crime rates are so damned high. The problem? The government seems to think they can protect you from the bad guys. That is impossible unless you want to live in a police state.

One final thought...

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

* I am not a supporter of extremes, period.
Posted on: 2009/1/29 3:04

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Good points.

But watch how quickly these small and few recoveries will turn around.

I have HOPE these laws don't CHANGE.
Posted on: 2009/1/29 6:23
As democracy is perfected, the POTUS represents more closely the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a fool and narcissistic moron.

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I suspect that the powers that be currently have more on their mind that adding to the gun control laws.

unless there is a spate of gun crimes, big ticket, national news, shoot up malls, nothing will change.
Posted on: 2009/1/29 6:46

Epimax Re: We all need to see this
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:

I agree. It's a little here, a little there....pacify them with stimulus plans.....next thing you know....it's all over..
We're going next month to get our concealed weapon permits...before they take that away...
Posted on: 2009/1/29 11:43

crash Re: We all need to see this
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

WELL THEY CAN TRY AS THEY MAY BUT THE ONLY WAY THEIR GETTING MY GUNS IS WHEN THEY PRY THEM FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS
Posted on: 2009/1/29 13:29

pianoguy Re: We all need to see this
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Posted on: 2009/1/29 14:24

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I suspect that the powers that be currently have more on their mind that adding to the gun control laws.

unless there is a spate of gun crimes, big ticket, national news, shoot up malls, nothing will change.

Hope is just another four letter word my friend.

Gun control has always been at the top of the DNC's plan book.

And it won't take an obamamedia event to spark the anti-gun crowd into recovering their ground from the last 8.
Posted on: 2009/1/29 16:12

CentralCoaster Re: We all need to see this
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I better get a gun while I still can. I'm won't be surrendering that shit voluntarily.

If you're a registered gun owner and they have your address, what do you do when "the man" comes knocking on your door 10 years from now to take it away?

Maybe keep one registered and hide the unregistered one for a rainy day.

WTF is the point of registering? I wonder how many murders are actually solved on its behalf.
Posted on: 2009/1/29 16:24

Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Only the ones you see on TV.

Owning is only part of the process.

Sending membership dues to support groups and writing your legislators is becoming a necessary step.
Posted on: 2009/1/29 16:48

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

I feel that owning is a right and carring is a right that I have and should always have. Personnally I feel I should be able to go any where with my weapon cept court houses and schools but if I were a teacher I would want to carry. Have some of you seen high schools in some areas lately....good god man!
Posted on: 2009/1/29 17:26

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Why shouldn't you be allowed in a courthouse or school?

Seriously. Why not? I'm not coming with any good reasons.
Posted on: 2009/1/29 23:09

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Out of respect for both. The school is the bigger one IMO. I would not want someone with a POW running around the school. If it was a Cop or something that would be fine but some Home G packing his heat LEGAL or NOT I would not want that.
Posted on: 2009/1/29 23:31

Matatk Re: We all need to see this
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Interesting video.

They're not gettin my guns, though. :target:

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/1/30 0:41

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:
Out of respect for both. The school is the bigger one IMO. I would not want someone with a POW running around the school. If it was a Cop or something that would be fine but some Home G packing his heat LEGAL or NOT I would not want that.

That goes back to the point of this thread. Where do you draw the line?

The guy shooting up a school doesn't care what the laws are. If anything, he prefers that guns aren't allowed in school.

The guy packing heat responsibly isn't a threat to the public anywhere he goes, school or otherwise.
Posted on: 2009/1/30 4:06

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

If you're a registered gun owner and they have your address, what do you do when "the man" comes knocking on your door 10 years from now to take it away?

WTF is the point of registering? I wonder how many murders are actually solved on its behalf.

" No officer, I don't have it. Some gangbanger stole it, I called and you guys never came out. No, I don't remember how long ago that was."

" I sold it to a guy 3 years ago, can't remember his name."

The only point registering is thet it's manditory when you buy from a gunshop of someone like Cabelas. And they charge you $25 for the background check. If you buy private, the feds don't know you have it.
Posted on: 2009/1/30 15:11

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Is it illegal to own an unregistered gun? Or will it never become an issue if it's never used illegally?

Does it make it difficult to buy or sell one? Or is it the owner that's registered?
Posted on: 2009/1/30 16:13

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

There are guns for sale here in the paper all the time including AR15's. I know those sales aren't registered.

And I've been told (but haven't verified) that the guns sold here in the gun shows aren't either.
Posted on: 2009/1/30 16:39

Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Is it illegal to own an unregistered gun?
Or will it never become an issue if it's never used illegally?

Does it make it difficult to buy or sell one?
Or is it the owner that's registered?

Yes
Until your caught

Oh Yes
RIght

All of your questions are moot if you don't care about the laws.
Posted on: 2009/1/30 16:40

Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Sorry buddy, your suspicions have been disproved;

Read on
Quote:

On Wednesday, just over five weeks after Inauguration Day, Attorney General Eric Holder announced that the Obama Administration will seek to reinstate the expired federal "assault weapon" ban and impose additional restrictions.

"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder said. Based on Holder's testimony during his confirmation hearings before the Senate, those other "changes" presumably include prohibiting private transfers of firearms and banning most center-fire rifle ammunition as "armor-piercing."

Holder said that new gun control laws are needed because in Mexico, a country with a history of corruption and disregard for individual rights, there's a shooting war going on between drug gangs and government troops, and some of the gangsters' guns have been illegally purchased in the United States.

You should note Andy, the left will never rest until the 2nd amendment is removed. Their liberal elitist ideas that "they the people" must be controlled will always be in the forefront of their agendas. If you read closer, the banning of center fire rifle ammunition means ALL rifle cartridges except .22's. So they won't ban us (the laww abiding) from owning firearms, just the ammunition.

Change you wanted, CHANGE your gonna get!!!
Posted on: 2009/3/4 16:52

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I would approve of the ban against armor piercing rounds if I felt it would somehow reduce the gap between the bad guys' arsenals and the good guys' arsenals.

It won't.
Posted on: 2009/3/4 17:34

Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I would approve of the ban against armor piercing rounds if I felt it would somehow reduce the gap between the bad guys' arsenals and the good guys' arsenals.

It won't.

How would you define "armor Piercing"?? That is to say, what kind of armor or how thick? I believe you'll find that your "common sense" definition is very different than our governments.

I'm using conventional copper jacketed lead bullets in this example. Any common center fire rifle projectile traveling at excess of 2000 fps will penetrate steel plate up to 1/4 thick. Speed up the bullet, and the penetration of thicker steel increases.

Can you now understand how far reaching this approach to banning armor piercing ammo will be?
Posted on: 2009/3/4 17:48

BrianCunningham Re: We all need to see this
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

You want to kill the bad guy

Not the guy in the next house

At least that's what I say when I pick up hollow points
Posted on: 2009/3/4 18:05

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

JrRifleCoach wrote:

Can you now understand how far reaching this approach to banning armor piercing ammo will be?

Well, freedom is always going to fall victim to the semantics of politicians.

"Armor piercing" sounds evil. "Assault rifle" sounds evil. So let's label and miscategorize as many things as we can with those terms, and then let the senators vote based on whether the words sound evil or not.

If they called baseball bats "assault sticks" and ski masks "bank robber disguisers" then the government would find a way to enforce and tax the transfer and ownership of those items.
Posted on: 2009/3/4 20:52

Dads90 Re: We all need to see this
Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

I think a licensed gun is allowed in courts,, if they show up to confiscate your registered guns, you say " I don't owned it anymore". There is no law about selling them or giving them away. I recently joined the NRA and haved owned guns for years. I won't give mine up.
Posted on: 2009/3/5 2:14

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

JrRifleCoach wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Sorry buddy, your suspicions have been disproved;

Read on
Quote:

On Wednesday, just over five weeks after Inauguration Day, Attorney General Eric Holder announced that the Obama Administration will seek to reinstate the expired federal "assault weapon" ban and impose additional restrictions.

"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder said. Based on Holder's testimony during his confirmation hearings before the Senate, those other "changes" presumably include prohibiting private transfers of firearms and banning most center-fire rifle ammunition as "armor-piercing."

Holder said that new gun control laws are needed because in Mexico, a country with a history of corruption and disregard for individual rights, there's a shooting war going on between drug gangs and government troops, and some of the gangsters' guns have been illegally purchased in the United States.

You should note Andy, the left will never rest until the 2nd amendment is removed. Their liberal elitist ideas that "they the people" must be controlled will always be in the forefront of their agendas. If you read closer, the banning of center fire rifle ammunition means ALL rifle cartridges except .22's. So they won't ban us (the laww abiding) from owning firearms, just the ammunition.

Change you wanted, CHANGE your gonna get!!!

Center fire ARMOUR PIERCING. Not Center fire in general.

I find their connections nebulous, at best.

Think about this: The Mexican cartels are getting guns here... this is more than likely true, but they are not buying them legally. I don't like the spin one bit. Time to write a letter to the new AG.
Posted on: 2009/3/5 2:20

flyboy Re: We all need to see this
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

That's a new SICK twist. Blame the Mexicans for the need to infringe on my God given rights as affirmed in the Constitution.
Posted on: 2009/3/5 2:47

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.