Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
252 user(s) are online (232 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Vette
Shorthand notation for Corvette. See also vert and vertte. Usually preceeded by a "'", as in 'vette....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

JrRifleCoach Hispanic Wal-Marts to Open in U.S.
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Wal-Mart said the stories will feature a "new layout, signing and product assortment designed to make them even more relevant to local Hispanic customers,"

Bullet proof everything....

A whole section of jumper cables and tire patch kits.

Hydraulics installed while you wait.

I wonder if English will be considered a second language?
Posted on: 2009/3/14 15:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Hispanic Wal-Marts to Open in U.S.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

This just smelled bad before I even came in... and it has nothing to do with perceptions that Hispanics are dirty...
Posted on: 2009/3/14 15:22

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Sweet90 Re: Hispanic Wal-Marts to Open in U.S.
Elite Guru
Edmonton, Alberta
1143 Posts

This thread could end bad
Posted on: 2009/3/14 15:33

itlgo2 Re: Hispanic Wal-Marts to Open in U.S.
Guru Newb
Missouri
288 Posts

Photobucket

Posted on: 2009/3/14 16:01

psycovette Re: Hispanic Wal-Marts to Open in U.S.
Guru
Spokane, Wa
57 Posts

What is this great country we live in coming to. Why do we need Hispanic Walmarts. if the currentlayout doesnt work for them and they cant read thesinage then mabye they should go back to mexico and patition for a mexican walmart in there own country.
Posted on: 2009/3/14 16:10

Anyone can restore em...it's takes a real man to cut one up

pianoguy Re: Hispanic Wal-Marts to Open in U.S.
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Posted on: 2009/3/14 16:14

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Sweet90 Re: Hispanic Wal-Marts to Open in U.S.
Elite Guru
Edmonton, Alberta
1143 Posts

Quote:

psycovette wrote:
What is this great country we live in coming to. Why do we need Hispanic Walmarts. if the currentlayout doesnt work for them and they cant read thesinage then mabye they should go back to mexico and patition for a mexican walmart in there own country.

Now you know what we have to put up with the French

Jim
Posted on: 2009/3/14 17:50

CentralCoaster Re: Hispanic Wal-Marts to Open in U.S.
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

If there's enough spanish-speaking customers for Walmart to make it profitable, then more power to them. It's called capitalism.

Whether or not those people need to "go back to Mexico" depends on whether they're here legally or not. Don't blame Walmart for that, blame your politicians.

English isn't the official language of the U.S. last I checked.

We have Asian supermarkets and Mexican taco shops and Japanese restaurants where I can't read a damn thing on the menu. If I don't like that then I shop somewhere else. FWIW, I've only been to an english-speaking walmart twice in the past 5 years, both times because someone else dragged me in there.
Posted on: 2009/3/14 18:07

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Also in San Diego, many of the food products have spanish and english labelling on them. The labels are printed differently depending on the market.

In fact I bought some nescafe instant coffee, the entire label is in spanish.
Posted on: 2009/3/14 18:10

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Aren't charts great? He has an offset axis and shows no immigration or population growth prior to that, which is misleading at best.

Anyhow, the "immigrants and their descendants" actually make up closer to 99.2% of the population. You're probably one of them.
Posted on: 2009/3/14 18:26

Matatk Re: Hispanic Wal-Marts to Open in U.S.
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

JrRifleCoach wrote:
Wal-Mart said the stories will feature a "new layout, signing and product assortment designed to make them even more relevant to local Hispanic customers,"

I thought that was all the wal marts around me?

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/3/14 20:35

TommyT-Bone Re: Hispanic Wal-Marts to Open in U.S.
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

You ain't telling me nothing new. I was a minority the day I moved into this county. You'll learn to live with it. Maybe someday some agency will give me money to stay here.
Posted on: 2009/3/14 22:36

Curtis1974 Re: Hispanic Wal-Marts to Open in U.S.
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

I'm married to a Mexican so this stuff can be a little touchy around her, but this is too funny! I laughed my a__ off..........

Posted on: 2009/3/15 6:37

crash Re: Hispanic Wal-Marts to Open in U.S.
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

i have nothing against any group of people. as long as they speak english and are civil minded thats cool with me. the reason i say this is at one time my ancestors were new people to this counrty and they converted to english and were law abiding. they worked for what they got and lived the american dream. of course they came over from germany around 1840.
Posted on: 2009/3/15 12:20

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Just because the wars were won, the battles never end. The american dream changes with it's american occupants. Living in a country where majority rules, and majorities are constantly evolving bringing new change. We fought back the mexicans to new established borders and signed treaties. Now they don't cross our boarders with guns but with pregnant women having children born in the US gaining US residency for a spanish based nationality that has itself conquered and dethroned kings, emperors, dieties and cheifs. Don't forget the discoveries of Christopher Columbus that were financed by the Queen of Spain. The later import of slave labor which at that time was legal brought in another totally non native element to the landscape. No-one is born knowing English. They have to be taught. In the past, there were many sub-cultures that made up the american fabric. Chinatown, Little Italy, German enclaves etc. When the majority rule changes so will many laws and protections that are currently afforded the american populace. Change is all around. It always has been and always will be. Just ask Alexander, the Ceasars, Hannibal, Confusious, the kings of Egypt, The Inca, Spain, England, France, Germany, Japan, the USSR. Conquerors in a world that refuses to be controlled ....... once upon a time ......... What was the topic again? Oh ya. Wal-Mart
Posted on: 2009/3/15 13:05

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quick side note. People have learned thousands of technical terms and jargon to communicate on modern day devices but there is still no universal language. A simple 5000 word vocabulary that everyone might learn so they could communicate with others throughout the world. The world leaders can tear down walls (or build them) but they cannot come up with a simple universal language. Just think how easy business or travel would be for everyone if you could ask for directions, order food, book a room, etc. if it was in one simple format. Forgetaboutit. Won't happen in my lifetime.
Posted on: 2009/3/15 14:06

DaleD Re: Hispanic Wal-Marts to Open in U.S.
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Balkanization. The southwest will be, or is in some cases, overwhelmingly populated by people with mixed allegiances. The idea of the melting pot is long gone.
I don't think it's good for the country we know as the United States to be balkanized, (balkanization weakens a country), but it's a fact of life.
It's a shame, but the only thing constant is change. I guess kids will have to deal with it. Me, I'm on the back 9, so to speak.

On the political front, it will be fun to see what happens when the new Americans realize that they have more in common with Republicans than with Democrats. Mexicans tend to be social conservatives, and in general, are pretty self sufficient, (as far as I know).
Posted on: 2009/3/15 16:21

JrRifleCoach Re: Hispanic Wal-Marts to Open in U.S.
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
This just smelled bad before I even came in... and it has nothing to do with perceptions that Hispanics are dirty...

Nothing??? Then why did you mention it????

WHat came to my mind is that we as a nation are complaining about supporting "illegals" with our tax money, yet we are accepting and condoning their presence by specializing retail stores.

Our flag represents its citizens and the rules of becoming a citizen. Our government has given this country away to anyone with a vote or a dollar.

The great amerikan dream is gone.
Posted on: 2009/3/15 16:27

DaleD Re: Hispanic Wal-Marts to Open in U.S.
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

JrRifleCoach wrote:

The American dream has a decidedly Latino flavor to it now. This is what happens when the elites have a different agenda than the people, and the people don't care enough to make the issue an election issue.

Democrats want illegals because illegals vote Democrat. Yes, illegals vote. Not only that, illegals eventually become legal in many cases.
Republicans want illegals so that they can drive down the cost of labor and appease big money contributors who employ illegals.
Both parties want illegals to pay into our SS system which is being bankrupted by the dirty old hippies who are retiring now.

I welcome legals, hate that illegals are here, but there is nothing that will be done about it.

BTW, it's not the country condoning illegals, it's the free market. WalMart would open a store that catered to murderers if it made money.
Posted on: 2009/3/15 16:39

bobges Re: Hispanic Wal-Marts to Open in U.S.
Senior Guru
Bushkill PA
254 Posts

This is how we keep them down, By letting them think we are compassionate and caring that we will do things in their language to help them along, When in reality by not learning to speak English they can only rise to a certain level in Jobs fields and could never be a politician
Posted on: 2009/3/15 18:42

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

JrRifleCoach wrote:

WHat came to my mind is that we as a nation are complaining about supporting "illegals" with our tax money, yet we are accepting and condoning their presence by specializing retail stores.

Our flag represents its citizens and the rules of becoming a citizen. Our government has given this country away to anyone with a vote or a dollar.

The decision to open "hispanic" Walmarts was probably that of an old, white, rich, capitalist republican. Not the government. Putting a moratorium on spanish-speaking businesses is a misguided effort at fixing a failed immigration system.

Just because someone speaks spanish primarily, doesn't mean they're illegal. I live in part of San Diego where as many people speak Tagalog as English. I guess I should start herding them back to the banana boat?

I think the "us vs. them" mentality needs to stop.
Posted on: 2009/3/16 1:34

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Right now the U.S. is not a melting pot. It's just a bunch of different ingredients thrown into a cold mix. In order to get it to melt you have to turn up the heat. Bring it to a boil and stir the shit out of it. The elements will break down and voila.

The salad bowl then the melting pot.

Attach file:

gif  salad_bowl.gif (11.37 KB)
852_49bdbb5d3e191.gif 300X374 px

gif  melting_pot.gif (16.02 KB)
852_49bdbb75ab8cd.gif 300X341 px
Posted on: 2009/3/16 2:31

400hp427vette Re: Hispanic Wal-Marts to Open in U.S.
Senior Guru
Long Island, NY
373 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

JrRifleCoach wrote:

The decision to open "hispanic" Walmarts was probably that of an old, white, rich, capitalist republican. Not the government. Putting a moratorium on spanish-speaking businesses is a misguided effort at fixing a failed immigration system.

Just because someone speaks spanish primarily, doesn't mean they're illegal. I live in part of San Diego where as many people speak Tagalog as English. I guess I should start herding them back to the banana boat?

I think the "us vs. them" mentality needs to stop.

I agree with the above but I also think part of being AMERICAN is to being able to speak ENGLISH
Posted on: 2009/3/16 3:19

Dads90 Re: Hispanic Wal-Marts to Open in U.S.
Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Other countries don't cater to US citizens, why should we cater to them ? (maybe to a certain level as tourists, but definety not as a citizen)
Posted on: 2009/3/16 4:01

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Sorry for the inconvenience, senor. Are you catering to anyone? Who is "we"?
Posted on: 2009/3/16 5:36

JrRifleCoach Re: Hispanic Wal-Marts to Open in U.S.
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:I guess I should start herding them back to the banana boat?

Yeah buddy, get out your cattle prod and get to work!
Posted on: 2009/3/16 5:43

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.